Tactful way to say "move your cache out of the playground" ?

cgund

Hi there -

I've searched the guidelines for cache placement and I guess it's not expressly prohibited to place a cache at a playground. But I think most people agree that it's not a great practice.

There is a new cache in the hedges surrounding a playground near my home. It is also adjacent to an elementary school's greenbelt. The person who placed it is a noob (11 finds at the time they placed the cache). I am a relative noob (3 hides and 59 finds). The logs of the first handful of people who've found the cache (all caching veterans) do not say anything about this being an inappropriate placement. In the past, on other playground caches, I've seen log entry after log entry urging the CO to move the cache. Here, no such pattern. I think it's odd.

I would looooooooooove to see this cache moved but feel awkward saying anything about it given the above circumstances. IE who am I to complain if nobody else is?

Anyway I am wondering if y'all had any tactful, non-obnoxious ways to urge the CO to move the cache. Would appreciate your feedback.

Hi there -

I've searched the guidelines for cache placement and I guess it's not expressly prohibited to place a cache at a playground. But I think most people agree that it's not a great practice.

There is a new cache in the hedges surrounding a playground near my home. It is also adjacent to an elementary school's greenbelt. The person who placed it is a noob (11 finds at the time they placed the cache). I am a relative noob (3 hides and 59 finds). The logs of the first handful of people who've found the cache (all caching veterans) do not say anything about this being an inappropriate placement. In the past, on other playground caches, I've seen log entry after log entry urging the CO to move the cache. Here, no such pattern. I think it's odd.

I would looooooooooove to see this cache moved but feel awkward saying anything about it given the above circumstances. IE who am I to complain if nobody else is?

Anyway I am wondering if y'all had any tactful, non-obnoxious ways to urge the CO to move the cache. Would appreciate your feedback.

Written rule or not, try placing a playground cache in my State (New York), and see how it flies with our two reviewers. :P

Oh gosh, a tactful non-obnoxious way? I do agree, if veterans "get their smiley", and get out of there without getting the cops called on them, they're just going to log the cache. I'd almost be inclined to contact the publishing reviewer with your boots on the ground info about the cache that they may have missed while reviewing it. Just my opinion, don't just listen to me though, even though I'm rescuing this thread from slipping way down the page with zero replies. :o

IE who am I to complain if nobody else is?

Bingo.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a playground hide. The location needs to be taken into account when considering what kind of cache it should be, how one should hide it, how one should look for it, and even if one should look for it, but that's also true of every other cache.

If you don't like playground caches don't hide them and don't look for them. But if it's not violating a guideline, leave it at that.

Here in UK caches won't be published if they're close to a playground. The reviewers will sometimes quote the following when they request the container be moved further away:

1.2. Other Placement Considerations

"Select an appropriate location and container. Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your geocache will be hidden with landowner permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching may view people searching the property as suspicious..."

I'd go with the "contact the publishing reveiwer" idea. Just give him the full details as you've described them in your OP then leave it at that.

MrsB

Bingo.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a playground hide. The location needs to be taken into account when considering what kind of cache it should be, how one should hide it, how one should look for it, and even if one should look for it, but that's also true of every other cache.

If you don't like playground caches don't hide them and don't look for them. But if it's not violating a guideline, leave it at that.

Did you read my post? Try dropping one in Syracuse yourself. :anibad:

We have plenty of playground caches, but almost every cacher I know complains about them. Some will still look for them, others will just drive away, and yet others will take a look to see if there is anybody using the playground at the time before making their decision.

As to how to tactfully tell them... its not your job to do that, tactfully or not.

I would looooooooooove to see this cache moved

Why do you want it moved?

From your description it does not seem to be at the school but adjacent to the school. So is this playground part of a public park?

You say the cache is in a hedge that surrounds the playground. How close is this hedge to any playground equipment? A hedge 5 feet away from where the children play is much different then a hedge 50 feet away.

I guess what I am getting at that to me there is a big difference between a cache in a school system owned playground and a cache in a park next to a school. Your example is not very clear (at least to me) as to which it is.

Now if you want the cache moved because it is in a hedge...well I don't care for hedge hides either.

I just mention my feelings in my log.

"Found this one quickly, which is fortunate because a lone male in this location is likely to draw attention from overly paranoid parents."

"Not sure what the parents thought about me poking around the bushes but I made the find before anyone called the cops."

"Too many kids and parents around for a comfortable search so I didn't get a chance to look for this one."

"Finally a rainy day so I could come back and hunt this one with no kids and parents around."

Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with the cache itself, it's our society that's screwed up. I'm glad a grew up in an era where our parents sent us to the playground to play by ourselves!

If I somehow felt compelled to find it I might write a log about how I got up at 6am on a Sunday morning in the middle of a rainstorm so that I would not look like I was lurking around a hedge near a playground with children around. If I chose not to find it I would say that I did not feel like getting up at 6am to avoid lurking in a hedge and then put it on my ignore list.

Edited by geodarts

I just mention my feelings in my log.

... Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with the cache itself, it's our society that's screwed up. I'm glad a grew up in an era where our parents sent us to the playground to play by ourselves!

Here was my DNF log from about a week ago for a 5-star difficulty cache hidden on playground equipment. The playground was in a local park and nowhere near a school, but the issue is similar:

"Harry and I gave this one due diligence before giving up the effort, at least for this visit. As an older male who most often caches solo, I'm not sure when I'll have another chance to feel comfortable hunting for this one."

Two adult males looking for the cache seemed a lot safer than one solo adult male; the cache is now on my Ignore List.

--Larry

Edited to add: I honestly don't think all playground caches need to be banned, since there are families who cache together who wouldn't have the same difficulties a solo older male is likely to have. I do fervently wish, however, that cache owners would mention the general location of the cache so I won't have to waste my time driving to the spot, only to see a playground full of kids and parents.I'm not very skilled at impersonating a playground inspector.

Edited by larryc43230

Some elementary schools in our area place caches on school property - sometimes near the playground - as a classroom teaching project. I imagine solo male cachers may be uncomfortable searching for these caches but I think they are a great idea. I wouldn't want them removed simply because they are near a school playground.

Isn't there a playground attribute? If not, maybe there should be one.

Not enough playground caches to have a need. How about, "Uncomfortable Area" attribute? This would include crime-ridden area's of cities, playgrounds, near strip-clubs. Ect?

Or how about cachers that find themselves in a part of town they don't feel comfortable in just leave and search elsewhere?

My husband and I bailed on a cache placed somewhere in a thin stand of trees that ran between a school playground and a townhouse complex. We might come back someday with our youngest and use him as a viable reason to be there, but at the time we felt it wasn't a good choice for us so we left. We also posted a DNF saying why.

I think it is up to the individual cacher to decide what caches work for them. I don't like micros so I skip them. I probably won't do many 5/5s either. There are plenty of other caches in the trees :D

I would looooooooooove to see this cache moved...

My vote is to go with the overwhelming responses to your post. I.e; If it's not a problem for others, but it is a problem for you, just walk away. That being said, if, after all this advice, you still want it moved, I doubt that there is any tactful way to request that. You'll need to do some research and a careful case study of the guidelines, looking for a violation. Have you checked to see who owns the property it's on? Around here, it's not uncommon for school boards to own tracts of land around schools, which, to a casual observer, appear to be outside the school property. If you discover that this is the case, (the cache unknowingly being on school property), you could try to get it archived.

Personally, I'd just walk away.

It is something for the reviewer to decide on. I wouldn't want all caches within sight of a playground or school to be banned (although I used to) but if you have some knowledge about that particular place that the reviewer (and maybe other cachers, including the CO) do not have you should tell the reviewer. So think about why this particular place is not good for a cache and include that information in your message to the reviewer - for example if there is a clear line of sight from the GZ to where the school children gather at break times, or play sports, or if it is close enough to even have a conversation with the children in their school grounds. Being in a hedge doesn't help, as it does look suspicious to be rooting around in shrubbery (is it a low hedge or a high hedge, how does this make geocachers look.) Is it also a place where some children pass by when they leave or arrive at the school and might play on the playground equipment on their way home (unsupervised). I don't want the answers put here, obviously but I know of schools like this and I'd consider them to be inappropriate places for a cache (and so would the majority of parents and teaching staff when my children were there).

Edited by Fianccetto

As to how to tactfully tell them... its not your job to do that, tactfully or not.

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps the CO has kids of there own (or relatives) and this was a great idea from their perspective. We have the right to avoid that cache, we have the right to place caches in a way that would make using a local park impossible, but we can't tell people what to do past the guidelines.

Not enough playground caches to have a need. How about, "Uncomfortable Area" attribute? This would include crime-ridden area's of cities, playgrounds, near strip-clubs. Ect?

I love it that you want to lump playgrounds in with strip-clubs. :laughing: :laughing: Yeah, that will go over really well when parents are looking for playgrounds to take their kids to! :laughing: :laughing:

I hate playground caches myself, but I'll still look for them because I think we have to find them all, and there is something about the look of a clean map. :rolleyes:

I usually make comments on my log though. Sometimes I have to walk away without finding it because it's too crowded, and I'll log that. I generally don't go back to those though, map be da***d.

There are those who cache with kids though, so we've got to let them have a few.

Jeremy and his gang are pretty wise. If they leave them off the banned list there must be good reasons.

I say go with the guidelines and make polite but to-the-point comments.

Let the kids have a couple caches for themselves.

Chances are it will be muggled soon there anyway, so you won't have to worry about it.

Bingo.

The geocaching guidelines only exist to establish a criteria for the publishing of a cache listing on the geocaching.com web site. A cache may very well meet the guidelines but common sense should be used to determine whether or not a cache should be placed in a specific place, or hidden in a specific manner, even when it *does* meet all the guidelines. My personal criteria is that if the location of a cache, or the manner it which it is hidden has a high potential of creating a perception of geocaching or geocachers in a bad light for non-geocachers (which includes land managers, LEOs) then the cache shouldn't be published. In the case of a cache placed near a elementary school or playground, someone that has no idea what geocaching is about might come away with the impression that it's some sort of activity that involves middle aged men hanging around playgrounds and creeping out their kids. Is that worth the extra smiley for a found it log?

Bingo.

The geocaching guidelines only exist to establish a criteria for the publishing of a cache listing on the geocaching.com web site. A cache may very well meet the guidelines but common sense should be used to determine whether or not a cache should be placed in a specific place, or hidden in a specific manner, even when it *does* meet all the guidelines. My personal criteria is that if the location of a cache, or the manner it which it is hidden has a high potential of creating a perception of geocaching or geocachers in a bad light for non-geocachers (which includes land managers, LEOs) then the cache shouldn't be published. In the case of a cache placed near a elementary school or playground, someone that has no idea what geocaching is about might come away with the impression that it's some sort of activity that involves middle aged men hanging around playgrounds and creeping out their kids. Is that worth the extra smiley for a found it log?

I'm pretty sure most kids aren't creeped out by middle aged guys, unless their parents have predisposed them to it. ;)

The longer I play this game, the less inclined I am to tell someone else that their cache should be moved. It has nothing to do with being a veteran and just wanting to boost my numbers (as implied by another poster.) It's about learning some humility and respect for others. Just state your personal experience in your note and leave it at that.

We have a cache hidden in one of the city's parks. It's on one of the slides where it get's pretty busy at times. I never ever thought about it being in a bad place until i started reading some of the complaints in these forums. Even so, i still don't see it as being a big problem, at least down in our area. That being said, and to let potential finders know what they're getting into, i have stated on the cache page what to expect.

I do understand why some don't like these types of hides. However, i do not understand why they complain about and even go so far as thinking they all need to be banned. I guess i can see that it could cause a situation where a mom with kids might become nervous. No, i don't want to cause anxiety for another person but i feel that i have a right to be in a public park just the same as everyone else. A geocacher is not doing anything wrong (provided there isn't some kind of law forbidding geocaches and/or middle aged men). I'm sure it depends on the area you live in and the park itself as to whether it's a good idea or not to place a cache there. We've probably gotten close to a hundred logs from cachers with no complaints.

I've heard this said various ways many times,,, It's very simple, just turn around and walk away from caches you don't like.

We have a lot more playground caches in our area than scuba, tree climbing, night caches, or field puzzles - just to name a few.

We have a lot more playground caches in our area than scuba, tree climbing, night caches, or field puzzles - just to name a few.

The difference is, people want to find tree climbing, scuba, night caches. Trying to find them can be hard. I can't see why someone would want to specifically look for a playground cache.

The difference is, people want to find tree climbing, scuba, night caches. Trying to find them can be hard. I can't see why someone would want to specifically look for a playground cache.

Really? Is it that hard to imagine? Try for 10 seconds to think beyond your own comfort zone and your own particular set of circumstances and I think you'll be able to come up with scenarios were cachers would want to avoid caches in the first group and would want to find caches in the last group.

Since I'm female I can look for playground hides with no issues. Grown men look devious or like pervs.

I would not hide near a playground. It's not fair to parents, children or cachers.

I'd just mention it in my log and let other finder's decide if they want to try it. I've found caches in creepy places, I've aborted searches because of feeling threatened, and noted both in my logs.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

We have a cache hidden in one of the city's parks. It's on one of the slides where it get's pretty busy at times. I never ever thought about it being in a bad place until i started reading some of the complaints in these forums. Even so, i still don't see it as being a big problem, at least down in our area. That being said, and to let potential finders know what they're getting into, i have stated on the cache page what to expect.

I do understand why some don't like these types of hides. However, i do not understand why they complain about and even go so far as thinking they all need to be banned. I guess i can see that it could cause a situation where a mom with kids might become nervous. No, i don't want to cause anxiety for another person but i feel that i have a right to be in a public park just the same as everyone else. A geocacher is not doing anything wrong (provided there isn't some kind of law forbidding geocaches and/or middle aged men). I'm sure it depends on the area you live in and the park itself as to whether it's a good idea or not to place a cache there. We've probably gotten close to a hundred logs from cachers with no complaints.

I've heard this said various ways many times,,, It's very simple, just turn around and walk away from caches you don't like.

The reason I used to think that they should be banned is, the playground is there for the children, and for some families it is a place other than school where the children are trusted to go and do something on their own (on a short trip from home, for a short time). If they or their parents see various adults on the playground without children, it could mean that it is one less place for those kids to have a little freedom in life, which is fairly rare for a lot of children these days. But thinking it through, that is too many ifs for me to continue with a sustained opinion and each situation and local community is different, and they change a lot over time, too.

What is a tactful way to say "If you don't like them, don't go look for them". As a middle aged (well, slightly more than), married male who has raised three boys, I find nothing uncomfortable or wrong with playground caches. If the playground is busy, I move on. I paid for the park, I'll use it.

If someone simply thinks that my present indicates I am guilty of something, it is their issue, not mine.

There aren't many reason a grown, single man would be hanging around a playground.

If they weren't caching, what would you think? These parents don't know you're caching. It's a place for children, not grown men to be lurking around.

We don't live in a fairy tale world. Kids are taken, molested; there are offenders. To think parents wont be wary of a man sniffing around the equipment is ridiculous.

Why even give the parents a reason to ne even a little nervous? Would you be ok with a man hanging around a playground where your kids are playing? If he was searching all around and wasn't caching.

Heck, I've been stopped by the police for searching in the woods.

It has little to do with maturity. It's about reality. There's no good reason to hide where kids are playing.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

If someone simply thinks that my present indicates I am guilty of something, it is their issue, not mine.

I strongly prefer to avoid unnecessary confrontations, whether I'm caching or doing something else. I know perfectly well that, in today's more-paranoid world, to many parents of young children I will draw suspicion to myself if I'm seen hanging around a playground. By looking for that cache in the playground, I'm opening myself up to the distinct possibility of being confronted by a watchful parent and/or local law enforcement. It's just not worth the hassle and stress to me. Hassle and stress are exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for when I'm caching.

I'm all for standing up for my own rights, but I have yet to see a micro hidden on playground equipment that was worth the potential hassle. There are plenty of other caches to be found that aren't nearly as likely to subject me to an awkward situation and which are a lot more rewarding to look for as far as I'm concerned. I just wish there were some easier way to identify playground caches before I waste my time and mileage driving to them.

The most valuable lesson I've learned regarding enjoying the caching experience is that there's no reason why I should feel the need to find every cache anyone hides anywhere near me. I'm in this to get exercise, discover interesting places, and have fun, not subject myself to unneeded harassment in a neighborhood playground.

--Larry

There's nothing wrong with playgrounds. There's a lot wrong with people being scared of their shadows.

The last playground cache I found my wife and her sister enjoyed the swings while I found the cache. Other families paid us no mind.

The one before that I was alone. Mid-fifties one-legged fat men on crutches don't do stealth very well, so I introduced myself to the father who was there with his kids, told him what I was doing and that I would be going into the woods behind the playground to find it. No problem.

Be open and honest instead of looking sneaky and playgrounds are no problem at all.

pfft wth is wrong with being near a strip club?...they don't strip in the street, do they?

as for playgrounds. no, there's nothing wrong with a cache there

theoretically there is no perfect place to put a cache, if its in the middle of nowhere you could die there and not be found for days or months

bottom line is, if you don't like where it is walk away

Edited by t4e

The reason I used to think that they should be banned is, the playground is there for the children, and for some families it is a place other than school where the children are trusted to go and do something on their own (on a short trip from home, for a short time). If they or their parents see various adults on the playground without children, it could mean that it is one less place for those kids to have a little freedom in life, which is fairly rare for a lot of children these days. But thinking it through, that is too many ifs for me to continue with a sustained opinion and each situation and local community is different, and they change a lot over time, too.

This is really what underlies my original inquiry. I would feel so sad if people stopped using that playground because there were solo adults lurking around. I also sort of think that there's a good possibility that the CO might simply not have thought of this when she placed the cache. I know that my first ideas for cache placements when I was brand new to the hobby were HORRIBLE and thankfully I read a lot here in the forums before proceeding with any hides. That's why I was seeking a "tactful way" to bring this issue onto her radar.

Thanks very much to all who responded thoughtfully and, well, tactfully.

You have to think of other cachers in this situation. It's not wise to set up hunters to be approached by angry parents or more likely police officers. It could possibly give you a bad reputation from you local cachers , and get you chewed out in the event that they are harassed for looking suspicious near little kids at play. But of course their are different types of playground/ parks and some are far less of and issue. You just got to think ahead in that situation. I'm not totally against finding them, but i assure you i won't be hiding any in those locations either

Anyway I am wondering if y'all had any tactful, non-obnoxious ways to urge the CO to move the cache.

Not really. What you have to do is start a conversation stating the problems with playground caches. Then you'll have various people giving their yeas or nays, which is okay.

Keep it up until people know it's not just a passing fancy for you. That way when people think about placing a playground cache they'll remember that you'll bring it up and maybe it's just easier to go elsewhere.

Not perfect but it's about all you can do, if you're willing to make the effort.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Okay, I'm a noob, as well, so am well aware of what my opinion is worth, but part of what seems to lie behind this OP is our "fear", shall I say, of dealing with muggles. I think that the Alabama Rambler has the right of it... explain to someone what you're doing. I mean, come on. We know we're not doing anything wrong. What's wrong with letting others know that we're not doing anything wrong?

That said, if I'm uncomfortable pursuing a cache, I won't pursue it. Doesn't matter where it is.

Cheers...

When it was my children going to play in a new playground that I couldn't see from our house (as opposed to the green out front that 3 or 4 of us mums watched while our children played together) then I would have been pretty much against a cache there. But then, that playground was on school land with no real boundary between the school and the expanse of green leading to it, the local parents had all raised the money to pay for it (so random adults turning up saying that their taxes paid for it and they had a right to be there would get short shrift!) and not only that, there's a great little strip of woodland right around the corner which would be perfect for some cache hides. Now we have moved away from there, and our situation has changed completely, we're in a city and the children are older so I would be putting myself in someone else's position, imagining I can represent them - which I can't. If it is potentially your children (maybe in a few years) and it is your neighbourhood, I think you should write to the reviewer and see what they say.

One other option (and the one I am coming around to, taking in other replies) would be to look at it another way and see if there is a way to incorporate the geocaching into the local children's lessons, for the local school to use the cache for awareness about geocaching and for them to all know what a geocache is. That way, the children will be one step ahead of any adults around and will know what to expect and what to class as suspicious and what is clearly just hunting/looking.

I love it that you want to lump playgrounds in with strip-clubs. :laughing: :laughing: Yeah, that will go over really well when parents are looking for playgrounds to take their kids to! :laughing: :laughing:

Actually, no one has ever complained about the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre/Pocono Mountains Strip club series Geo-String although it looks like half of them have been archived on their own accord.

Ultimately, I guess you'd have to throw me in with the "feel uncomfortable? then leave" crowd. :)

It has little to do with maturity. It's about reality. There's no good reason to hide where kids are playing.

Maybe paranoia was a more correct word, however maturity does influence it. You stated that grown men (while omitting women) standing near a playground were "devious or like pervs", implying any reason I have for being there needs to be questioned and an assumption of guilt needs to be applied. Carry this to it's logical conclusion, women should not be involved in BSA nor men in GSA.

While I would probably not hide in a playground, mainly because they tend to disappear quickly, there appears to be enough of them out there that there are some who feel there is a very valid reason for hiding them there.

Like I said, if the playground is active, I usually pass it by. However should I choose to search nearby, I have no problem explaining myself to a oversensitive individual.

Don't like them, just keep walking.

Playground caches are fun for people like us with kids. I have a puzzle cache that starts at a playground. I tell people right on the cache page that early morning or evneing might make them more comfortable as it's at a playground. If they still are not comfortable, there's lots of other caches to find, right?

Again, it's not a question of me being comfortable finding a cache at a playground. My issue with these placements is that I believe, as a parent who takes her child to playgrounds, that playgrounds should remain a comfortable place for the parents and children who visit them.

Hi there -

how close is it to the equipment?

Playground caches are fun for people like us with kids. I have a puzzle cache that starts at a playground. I tell people right on the cache page that early morning or evneing might make them more comfortable as it's at a playground. If they still are not comfortable, there's lots of other caches to find, right?

Again, it's not a question of me being comfortable finding a cache at a playground. My issue with these placements is that I believe, as a parent who takes her child to playgrounds, that playgrounds should remain a comfortable place for the parents and children who visit them.

Ah. I don't know, hopefully geocachers would be sensitive if families were using the park. I guess it's hard for me to understand, being a female. I remember a playground cache I found once. Was poking around in the bushes while kids played nearby, the parents didn't give me a 2nd glance. Also remember being at a park with my kids and there were some young males poking around in the bushes. That was before I knew about geocaching. I didn't feel uncomfortable, I just thought maybe they were looking for a lost ball.

Here in UK caches won't be published if they're close to a playground. The reviewers will sometimes quote the following when they request the container be moved further away:

1.2. Other Placement Considerations

"Select an appropriate location and container. Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your geocache will be hidden with landowner permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching may view people searching the property as suspicious..."

That's a real shame. Not all caches have to be suited to all cachers. A cache close to a playground would be great to find with our 5 yrar old daughter, but if I choise to cache alone I'd probably walk on by if the playground was busy. Should "local rules" becreated based on the assumption that we have zero common sense?