Want to start collecting Geocoins

Taysmom0307

I did some reading on the Geocoin forum so hopefully I am not repeating a posted question.

Having spent some time looking at other's collections here, I really would like to start my own collection.

So I am posing some questions for the collectors:

What made you decide to collect?

How did you start your collection? Did you buy individual coins? Get them at events? Buy in bulk?

How long have you been collecting?

How many different Geocoins do you have? (Approximates are fine)

Any advice to newbie collectors?

Thanks in advance,

TayNMom

Welcome to the geocoin forums! All very good questions -- I hope I can provide some reasonable answers.

I did some reading on the Geocoin forum so hopefully I am not repeating a posted question.

Having spent some time looking at other's collections here, I really would like to start my own collection.

After releasing a few purchased coins I realized that I'd much rather share them at events. That has now evolved into hoarding them in my office since I have too many to lug to every event.

How did you start your collection? Did you buy individual coins? Get them at events? Buy in bulk?

My first few coins were purchased from vendors. Then I started winning a few in 'cointests' run by folks here on the forums. Once I had a few extras in my collection I started trading for the ones I wanted.

A little over three years now.

My collection is down to about 400 now. I decided to only collect on a single theme and traded or sold most of the rest. It makes it much easier to say no to every new coin that pops up... most times. :D

Pace yourself. Set a budget (or pretend to). Have fun!

Thanks in advance,

TayNMom

People collect geocoins for any number of reasons. Because of the huge diversity in shapes, colors, themes, and finishes geocoins can appeal to just about anyone that likes to collect things. There are coins to fit almost every category you can think of for building a collection. Personally i've always enjoyed coins. I'm always on the look out for older and odd coins in my pocket change. I'm emassing a good collection of bicentennial US currency.

My first coins where retail. I then joined a few missions to trade them out for others. I then started to watch ebay for coins i may like to have. Then i would check around to see if i could get some of the ones i really liked at a better price then started to bid on ebay for them. I try to stay very active in the geocoin section participating in as many missions and cointest as i can. So i end up picking up coins here and there one at a time. I'm always in hope of receiving a mystery coin. Which i have ben fortunate enough to receive one a few weeks ago.

Mystery coins are typically small coins minted by a mystery person and given out at random to those in the geocoin community they deem worthy. They are not trackable but are still considered geocoins and IMO are highly prized coins. Mainly due to there very limited numbers and how they are only available to a chosen few. But you can find them come to auction from time to time on ebay but they do sell for cheap.

I've only been at this for about a month or 2 less then i've been Geocaching.

I can't remember how many i have but you can see my list in my sig showing what i have, what i'm willing to trade and the ones i'm looking to get.

Reasons for collecting?

It's all very fun to find a shiny pretty in the field but after a few days they have to be let go and dropped off again to continue their travels. I released a bunch to share in the fun but eventually it was more fun to enjoy them on my own without resorting to just travelers so when i made purchases I got one for me and one for the road. The one for the road became the one made available to trade and I stopped setting coins free that just seemed to end up getting lost or worse almost immediately.

Start by buying coins that you really like. If money is an issue really define what your tastes are and focus on specific styles, designs or themes. At first there are so many you want them ALL but the rent has to be paid, kids' college tuition saved for and vehicle maintenance can really take a toll - not to mention spouse's shoes. Fortunately I don't have kids or a spouse so I was able to indulge myself a little more liberally. So take it easy as there are too many coins out there and you can't have them all.

One suggestion to start is to jump in big. Spend the initial $1000-2000 to make your own geocoin (200-250 pieces) and trade them for ones that you want. Personal coins are very popular and the more distinct, unique and emblematic of you the coin is the better. You'll have something no one else has and it'll be quickly coveted.... after all we're talking addicts here!!

I started geocaching and stumbled upon this forum. They're a great group. I fell in love with a couple of coins and jumped right in.

I started with a couple of adopted coins because I liked the idea of tracking a coin out in caches. Then I started looking for some on the E place. I asked for so help and started finding ones I liked based on my theme (dog coins).

Then I did buy a batch of coins bulk that were not in my theme so I could start trading for coins. The grouping was cheaper then buying individual coins and I was able to offer coins up for trade in the trades threads. Now I have good set that I can trade and don't spend nearly as much money on E place as I did before, though I do on occasion still buy one off the auctions.

Then I started doing Missions which I fell in love with. It's sort of like secret santa's with a theme. There's coins involved and often you get coins your looking for. I started using some of the bulk coins in these missions or trading the bulk coins for coins I could use in these missions. Very fun and way more exciting waiting for the packages to come in the mail!

I also took part in the Math trade this year for the first time and got 7 great coins for 7 coins I didn't want to keep from my bulk package which was very exciting. So the initial investment on the bulk package has panned out very well for me.

Since Feb of this year.

50 Geocoins (Dog or Sheep Themed Primarily)

2 Personal Geocoins (only 3 minted- 2 of my "Sorella Shelties- DAWN EDITION and 1 Coin Spotlight Mission- KAYLEE EDITION)

50 Non Trackable Signature coins (wooden and metal)

16 Geocoins that I have available for Trade

10 of my signature Geowoodstock Doves (SDSL & D00101010) that are up for trade

1) Decide what you like, pick a theme etc. and stick to it. I have been pretty successful doing that (for the most part- my non-trackables are signature items and are not all dog themed though. I just think they're neat)

2) Set a budget! It's easy to get sucked in to spending hundreds of dollars a month if you let it happen!

3) check geocoin stores before you buy coins off the Eplace. Sometimes they're still in stock for less.

4) Check cointracking.com to see if coin you want someone has for trade.

5) Check the trades thread here and post if you're looking for something. Often someone has it and will contact you.

6) Do take part in missions if you can afford to! They're fun and sometimes you get something amazing!

7) Look for Cointests on the forum. Sometimes you can win a coin just for posting something fun or playing a guessing game! :lol:

8) Put your name and address in Address Book (look for the thread in the forums). Sometimes folks send out great mystery coins or end up with a coin in a trade they think you might like and send it to you just to be nice!

9) Look in the "Mailbox" thread to see what kinds of coins are out there. Sometimes someone posts that they got a coin in their mailbox that you fall in love with and the hunt begins!

10) Don't be afraid to ask for help! People here are great!

Hope this helps! Let us know when you pick a theme of coins you're gonna start collecting! :D

I started caching in Aug 2008 and in about the 3rd cache I found a geocoin, I knew what is was because I had researched it and it was a week or two after I bought my first coins - one to send out and one to keep.

First coin was from a coin company listed in the reference above Here but it is possible to build a collection quickly by buying grab bags from some of the forum contributors here. People come and go and some will sell them at a reasonable cost. Event coins are nice if you've attended they remind you of the good time you had but really you can purchase anywhere, some are just more expensive then others.

3 years at the end of this month :blink:time flies by

I stopped counting over a year ago, at that time I had over 800 but it has grown :ph34r:as others have said it is an addiction, right now on the desk in front of me there are approx. 150 to be added to my collection BUT I don't have as many as drneal (that's a collection)

Pace yourself, set a budget (you will over spend it)play the cointest (by the way congrat's) and participate in a mission or two. Math trades are fun and a good way of exchanging coins (but you need coins to trade) and sign up in the Geocoin Address Book here A good way to start a personal coin is in one of the smaller group coin makings - Mini-Doubloon or GeoJellies, it gets your caching name on a coin which makes it your own. Good luck with the addiction :)

Thanks in advance,

TayNMom

RUNNnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Do this one :laughing:

But as for your questions:

After finding a couple in a cache, I had to get myself some of their shiny, pretty goodness

My first few coins were bought from the online geocoin stores that are listed in the sticky at the top of the forum, then I won some in forum cointests and were sent 'mystery' coins. Finally I made my own and things went silly from there...

Five and a half years

Hmm - well last time I checked I had 90 pounds worth of coins (about 41 kilos). All different, all sparkly and marvellous and shiny... :huh: Sorry got a bit caught up there

Some may say it's best to make your own geocoin and trade....but, personally, I think it would be better to see what's out there, decide over time what you do and dont like about each geocoin, and change your mind many times about what you like :anibad: Then buy some doubles from the geocoin stores (ebay is overpriced something fierce) keep one, and trade the other. Discover the 'value' of geocoins through trading small amounts of coins (only one or two), as not all coins are equal (even if they started out that way!). Check whether they are trackable or not, so you dont get surprised. Not all coins have the same value to everyone as well, which makes it harder. Finally, when you think you've got the hang of it, make your own marvellous, one of a kind, super geocoin, and i'll trade you for one :ph34r::anicute: Also keep to your budget as these are highly addictive little metal things we are talking about.

Oh yes, and dont forget to RUNNN!!!!!!!!!!

I am in a similar boat as the original poster, I must be crazy, as I have not figured out how to acquire these coins... We've been geocaching a few years, off and on. I was very excited when I found a trackable, unfortunately when I traced it, (at Pathways.com) it turned out to be a freebie. Now some people would be happy about that, but I wanted to take it to a new place and drop it off, then watch as it traveled! My daughter in law is from Bangkok and I had hoped to take one there and have it find its way back home to the Midwest. But I digress...As I went to the geocaching store for my first purchases of coins, I was disappointed to see just a few available. I am obviously missing something here, as I have seen hundreds of designs. How do I get other designs or choices? Surely there are more available for sale than the few on here. Not really getting how to "BUY" these things! Do they all come from trading?? HELP!!

I am in a similar boat as the original poster, I must be crazy, as I have not figured out how to acquire these coins... We've been geocaching a few years, off and on. I was very excited when I found a trackable, unfortunately when I traced it, (at Pathways.com) it turned out to be a freebie. Now some people would be happy about that, but I wanted to take it to a new place and drop it off, then watch as it traveled! My daughter in law is from Bangkok and I had hoped to take one there and have it find its way back home to the Midwest. But I digress...As I went to the geocaching store for my first purchases of coins, I was disappointed to see just a few available. I am obviously missing something here, as I have seen hundreds of designs. How do I get other designs or choices? Surely there are more available for sale than the few on here. Not really getting how to "BUY" these things! Do they all come from trading?? HELP!!

Google geocoins and have fun!

I enjoy having a collection of something, especially shiny things. Geocoins are just that. They are shiny, and affordable to collect, for the most part.

I started when I purchased a few coins to set free, one being a crystal compass rose. when i got it all in the mail I fell in love with it and have been collecting ever since. Now i do a lot of trades, buy from the forums and some from ebay

Since January I think? Something like that

That is a fantastic question...Including my traders I probably have about 60

Create a budget and stick to it. there are too many gorgeous coins out there and if you dont set guidelines for yourself you could get into trouble. Also keep trading in mind-you dont need to pay big bucks for the coin you want, just wait around a bit and hopefully a trade will come along. My best budget advice is set something up with your bank, I have it so that every transaction I make puts $1 into a seperate account, and that is my geocoin money. It's not a lot but it's enough for about 4-5 coins a month or more if I get them cheap.

Well it's like Christmas :) sometimes you see and can get them before they hit the store but once their there they may sell out quickly and to try to get them after they've sold out you either have to have deep pockets or luck in finding it (or both :blink: ) and many are available for a short time period.

Now if you do want to see lots of coins and buy lots of coins, head for a geocoin festival or for that matter any mega event B)