Challenges

cb82

so confusing when you talk about the "new" challenges vs the challenge caches. Why they chose to use a term that is widely associated with stuff like the Fizzy, Delorme, etc etc is totally beyond me.

If I did not already know the new virtual thing were "challenges", I would totally think this was a challenge cache thing like the 100 or so other past challenges I have done, like the Fizzy.

Edited by lamoracke

Since most of us don't know a lot about the new virtual solution and many have been campaigning for a change in how the challenge caches are handled, perhaps the current challenge caches are going to be folded into the virtual solution. I believe that some of the first information posted by Jeremy suggested that challenges would involve photographing something or doing something. Perhaps doing something includes finding a cache in every county in the state or a cache in every Delorme section. It might be a good idea to wait for more information before complaining.

Where is that?

or is it a mock-up?

http://www.geocaching.com/my/challenges.aspx

Just want to backtrack a bit here, because I like to know the entire path, not just the ending.

when I click on the "your profile" bit, I don't see a link to the "challenges". Don't see it in any drop-down menu, either.

Am I missing something?

Looks/acts like a link to the test server or a page that hasn't been added to the drop downs but is already in place. I looked for it on my profile as well.

I don't understand what it is going to be, is it like Pokemon and we challenge eachother?

Where is that?

or is it a mock-up?

http://www.geocachin...challenges.aspx

Just want to backtrack a bit here, because I like to know the entire path, not just the ending.

when I click on the "your profile" bit, I don't see a link to the "challenges". Don't see it in any drop-down menu, either.

Am I missing something?

They probably just guessed the URL based on the URLs of all the other pages. Just like you can guess that http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/ will be the URL where you can search for them or whatever, but for the time being it redirects to the main page. (If it was an invalid URL, you'd get a 404 error.)

Where is that?

or is it a mock-up?

Am I missing something?

Looks/acts like a link to the test server or a page that hasn't been added to the drop downs but is already in place. I looked for it on my profile as well.

I don't understand what it is going to be, is it like Pokemon and we challenge eachother?

Go here - LINK - go to your profile and you should see "challenges" listed at the top between statistics and benchmarks. The menu option hasn't made it's way to the production server yet.

Edited by cb82

Where is that?

or is it a mock-up?

Am I missing something?

Go here - LINK - go to your profile and you should see "challenges" listed at the top between statistics and benchmarks. The menu option hasn't made it's way to the production server yet.

Aha, yes it's a test site. Thanks, folks. (Signal in a hardhat and safety goggles...LOL.)

You are currently using a test Web site. Any interactions on this site are strictly for testing purposes only; any changes you make will not be transferred to the live Web site.

Where is that?

or is it a mock-up?

Am I missing something?

I looks to me that a common method of software development where you create a page/resource, test it, then once it's working create a link to it so that it's publicly available.

That wasn't me that shortened the URL.

http:// www.geocaching.com/ my/ challenges.aspx

Take the spaces out

Having the url parsed by the forum software wasn't the problem. (The link is still clickable/functional even if it is parsed and "looks funny".)

I wanted to know where on my profile page I could find "challenges", but it turned out that they are only visible through the test site as yet.

Since most of us don't know a lot about the new virtual solution and many have been campaigning for a change in how the challenge caches are handled, perhaps the current challenge caches are going to be folded into the virtual solution.
Personally, I think merging the new "virtual solution" with challenges is a good fit.

I know many people consider the cache at the end of a challenge cache essential. But to me, it seems artificial. The challenge (filling your difficulty-terrain grid, finding a cache for every letter of the alphabet, or whatever else) seems to be the important part, and the cache is there just to record who has completed the challenge.

If there were another way to record who completed the challenge, then there really would be no need for the cache that is tacked onto the challenge.

Since most of us don't know a lot about the new virtual solution and many have been campaigning for a change in how the challenge caches are handled, perhaps the current challenge caches are going to be folded into the virtual solution.
Personally, I think merging the new "virtual solution" with challenges is a good fit.

I know many people consider the cache at the end of a challenge cache essential. But to me, it seems artificial. The challenge (filling your difficulty-terrain grid, finding a cache for every letter of the alphabet, or whatever else) seems to be the important part, and the cache is there just to record who has completed the challenge.

If there were another way to record who completed the challenge, then there really would be no need for the cache that is tacked onto the challenge.

As I understood the concept, the new "challenges" will still be location-dependent somehow. A challenge cache without the cache would not be. Maybe the new system offers both. We'll see.

I agree with you. Right now I consider Challenge Caches to be the waste of a good Traditional -- it's there, I know the coordinates, I can sign the log but I can't log a Find? Meh. IF this were to be a replacement for challenge caches I would be quite happy, although I suspect that puts me in the minority.

So you can accept challenges and fail?

I found that odd, too. Just guessing here, but perhaps your list of "accepted" challenges is visible only to you and comes complete with a scratch pad to record your progress. Alternatively - but I doubt this could work well - perhaps you only get to see a summary of the challenge until you "accept" it and have the details released to you.

That wasn't me that shortened the URL.

http:// www.geocaching.com/ my/ challenges.aspx

Take the spaces out

Having the url parsed by the forum software wasn't the problem. (The link is still clickable/functional even if it is parsed and "looks funny".)

I wanted to know where on my profile page I could find "challenges", but it turned out that they are only visible through the test site as yet.

I believe the link above (http://www.geocaching.com/my/challenges.aspx) is not on the test site. It is live, but it hasn't been linked to your profile page or any drop down menus yet.

You mean like Wherigos?

Guess how many Wherigo cartridges I've completed that didn't have a cache "tacked" onto them. One. And that was the play anywhere tutorial that came on my Colorado.

Right now I consider Challenge Caches to be the waste of a good Traditional

Like many consider a puzzle cache to be a waste of a good Traditional. They think that doing some arbitrary puzzle before finding the cache is dumb. But a lot of other cachers like puzzles.

-- it's there, I know the coordinates, I can sign the log but I can't log a Find? Meh.

This is what bothers you? If Groundspeak allowed the emailing of the final coordinates when the challenge was completed so you didn't know where it was it would be OK?

IF this were to be a replacement for challenge caches I would be quite happy, although I suspect that puts me in the minority.

You don't have to do every cache. If Groundspeak were to start getting rid of every cache type that bothers people (nano's, micros, LPC, short hikes, long hikes, scuba, climbing, etc) we'd have not much left.

If Groundspeak allowed the emailing of the final coordinates when the challenge was completed so you didn't know where it was it would be OK?

I think that could be awesome.

Sadly I don't think it will ever happen because the providing of proof would be too complicated for an automated system, reviewers are too busy with other tasks to take on the additional burden of checking challenge requirements and COs could refuse to give out the coords to players they didn't like.

But I do wish could work.

Like many consider a puzzle cache to be a waste of a good Traditional. They think that doing some arbitrary puzzle before finding the cache is dumb. But a lot of other cachers like puzzles.

Sure. I like some puzzles. I even like some challenges.

Comparing a puzzle to a challenge is not exactly a fair comparison though. You can bribe someone to give you the coordinates to a puzzle. You can stumble across a puzzle while searching for an area to hide a cache. You can be caching with someone else who has solved the puzzle. In all of those cases, if you sign the log you can claim your "Found it".

I believe Groundspeak made an error by continuing to allow challenges after they banned ALRs. I think if there is a way these new virtual caches / challenges / whatever they end up being called could be used to continue to allow those who enjoy the pursuit of a challenge to continue to do so without the need for a container at the end, it would be a great way to remove one of the exceptions from the guidelines and bring things into better alignment.

Hey, like I say, just my opinion.

You mean like Wherigos?

Guess how many Wherigo cartridges I've completed that didn't have a cache "tacked" onto them. One. And that was the play anywhere tutorial that came on my Colorado.

I think I've done four Wherigos, but only one of them had a cache at the end. ;) By far, my favourite one was cacheless. I'm hard pressed to imagine a better one out there, but I'm sure there must be. Just gotta keep looking. :anibad::P

-- it's there, I know the coordinates, I can sign the log but I can't log a Find? Meh.

This is what bothers you? If Groundspeak allowed the emailing of the final coordinates when the challenge was completed so you didn't know where it was it would be OK?

Sure, cause then it would be like a puzzle cache that I hadn't solved. (Assuming that if I stumbled on it accidentally or went with a friend who had done the challenge I could log it).

Being the puritan that I am :rolleyes: I feel if I find a cache and sign the log I should get credit for it.

Challenge caches are an exception to the ALR ban. And since they are an exception, they get abused just like ALRs did. There are all sorts of challenges now that are nothing more than silliness. Who is going to qualify for some of these? Others may be doable but rely on what other cachers do, so you're either competing for a limited number of opportunities or you need to get together with friends and each put out "special" caches for the others to complete the challenge.

The guidelines for challenge caches are suppose to prevent these, but cachers find ways to stretch the guidelines and get them past the reviewers. I agree with those that feel we need a different way to handle challenges than to put out a cache that can only be logged if you complete the challenge.

Some of my favorite geocaching experiences have been tied to a challenge. I've made friends, gone to places I never would have visited, done caches that never would have been on my radar, and had a lot of fun. I don't know if I would have done these without the actual cache at the end. They have enhanced my experience.

I know they're not for everyone, but I'll enjoy my flavor while you enjoy yours.

My cache partner and I have had some amazing road trips because of challenges. So far we've covered over half of the counties in Colorado, have done 50% of the DeLorme pages, and 40% of the Escoffier Challenge for Colorado.

Each major holiday, or extra day off that she can get, is a chance to go out and have a day of fun. We plan out a route, maximize the number of caches we "could get" and then plan some more. We've seen some great sights, driven some real back-roads, and have seen many beautiful sunsets before heading back. We've discovered things that neither of us knew existed, I've shown her places that I know very well but she's never seen.

For us it is not about the numbers, but about the trip and what we'll see, what we'll encounter... the adventure. :D

Edited by ngrrfan

Most challenges go immediately to my ignore list unless I already qualify.

Got the FTF on one last week! :o

I'll keep checking from time-to-time to see how/if I am progressing in qualification, and if/when I do get close THEN I will make a special effort towards completion. Then I will grab the cache if/when I'm in the area.

My problem with Challenge caches is that I've completed the requirements on some of them and I'll probably never find the final because they're not in my area. :rolleyes: So it seems pretty pointless.

how is this different than solving a really cool puzzle in Florida but you live in Washington? I try not to look at challenges in areas I have no intention of going to.

Sometimes challenges really pan out nicely. I have been working on the Jasmer but another challenge I completed on my own was the "Cooperation" challenge to 100. I had never seen or heard of such a challenge, I just figured there would be one since I have seen 25 and 50 versions. In the state I am going to next week, there is a 100 version. Schwing! Will definitely find that one.

Edited by lamoracke

I've probably missed a thread somewhere, but can someone point me in the direction where this proposal for Challenges is tied in with the proposal to bring back Virtuals? When I first saw this, I thought it was limited to just Challenge caches.

Starting about here and onwards: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269023&view=findpost&p=4783350

Thanks, that clears some things up and muddies a few others for me.

I've probably missed a thread somewhere, but can someone point me in the direction where this proposal for Challenges is tied in with the proposal to bring back Virtuals? When I first saw this, I thought it was limited to just Challenge caches.

Starting about here and onwards: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269023&view=findpost&p=4783350

Thanks, that clears some things up and muddies a few others for me.

moi aussi.

Why did the conversation go from being about the "replacement for virtuals" to challenge caches?

Well, of course...the use of the word "challenge"! That's not going to cause any confusion at all. <_<

Why did the conversation go from being about the "replacement for virtuals" to challenge caches?

Well, of course...the use of the word "challenge"! That's not going to cause any confusion at all. <_<

Well.. there still is a chance that the new "challenges" will actually incorporate some of the aspects (i.e. the challenge aspect) of challenge caches. Not necessarily, but perhaps.

I find some challenges unfair by their restrictions. I also agree that they are nothing more that ALS's which have been allowed by using the puzzle/unknown icon and including the word challenge. I owned two of my own and archived them be cause I came to believe that they were indeed not fair to everyone which caching should be. As for finding the cache, signing the log book, and not being able to claim a find because of someone's over restrictive rules, I would love to see challenges moved to their own area and treat existing ones as what they really are, another cache with ALR. This way any cache that show's up on the radar is there for all to find.

The return of Virtuals Will you be able to adopt the old ones?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269023&st=50&p=4783350&

In the UserVoice updates I never said that virtuals were coming back in their previous form, but instead something would be available that should capture the interest in virtuals without the baggage (such as the subjective review process).

To me, this is the most exciting project that we've worked on in years, but it will take some time to iterate through the idea and I know we'll get some things wrong, but the framework is solid. We'll be investing a substantial amount of effort with this project moving forward.

Some points:

• It will be on Geocaching.com, not a new web site. It will be a separate section in the beta, but I expect it to be integrated into a joined search at some point.
  • Currently they will not go towards your find count, but it might at some point. It won't at the beginning though.
  • It will be a visible statistic, so you will see them on the profile, on the logs, etc.
  • We'll be hopefully launching with mobile applications to compliment the activity. I expect that the majority of participants will be using smartphones, but we will have components (Pocket Queries, GPX file downloads, etc) for traditional GPS devices.

For the comments that we should involve the community more, we do. We don't have a public discussion about it, instead working with a smaller sampling of geocachers.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I find some challenges unfair by their restrictions. I also agree that they are nothing more that ALS's which have been allowed by using the puzzle/unknown icon and including the word challenge. I owned two of my own and archived them be cause I came to believe that they were indeed not fair to everyone which caching should be. As for finding the cache, signing the log book, and not being able to claim a find because of someone's over restrictive rules, I would love to see challenges moved to their own area and treat existing ones as what they really are, another cache with ALR. This way any cache that show's up on the radar is there for all to find.

Normal caches are inherently unfair. Some require equipment or physical skills that not all posses. Should these be archived to bring the denominator down? Some require electronics that not everyone owns. Should these be archived as not being fair? Some require puzzle solving skills that not all posses. Should these be archived because they are not fair? Why single out the conventional challenge caches?

Normal caches are inherently unfair. Some require equipment or physical skills that not all posses. Should these be archived to bring the denominator down? Some require electronics that not everyone owns. Should these be archived as not being fair? Some require puzzle solving skills that not all posses. Should these be archived because they are not fair? Why single out the conventional challenge caches?

Exactly

I don't own a boat, so boating caches are unfair.

Sure, I could rent a boat, but my Geocaching membership and battery purchases leave no available funds for that.