How do I get direct directions for where a cache is?

Sphinx2000

I am new to geocaching. I tried my first one and couldn't find it. I spent a lot of time finding and I gave up. I am suspecting my cell phone's GPS is not accurate enough.

I want to find the cache so I can compare its coords with my phone's coords and see if mine is off. How do I get someone to tell me where the cache is exactly? Ask the person who placed it? The people who left a log on the site?

Or is there a cache in my area which I can use for this purpose? Is there something like a GPS calibration process?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Um, the idea behind this game is for you to find the cache. Having someone tell you where it is defeats that purpose, no?

Make sure that you are looking for larger caches, ones listed as "small" and larger.

Check that the difficulty/terrain rating is low, like 1/1.

Read the previous logs on the cache page. Have other people found the cache recently?

Check the Groundspeak google map on the cache page. Zoom in. Zoom in a few times.

You ask about your area, but you don't mention where that is. Maybe there's a local caching group that could help you learn the ropes, but we need you to tell us where your location is first.

Edited by Pup Patrol

First of all you need to understand that the accuracy of the unit and placement of any give cache is relative. When a CO places a cache his unit may be off by 10 feet or more. Your GPS could also be off by 10 feet leaving you within about 20 feet of the cache at worst. Also depending on the conditions when the CO placed the cache and when you are searching can effect your accuracy as well. So your device isn't going to land you right on top of the cache. Once you are within about 20 feet of the cache you need to start looking for possible hiding places cause your GPSr isn't going to be of much help.

There is no good way of knowing how far off your GPSr is since conditions are ever changing and the sats are moving around up there. You can take a reading from a specific point one day and go back to that same point a week or so later and your GPSr will put you in a different spot.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

If you want to try to see how accurate your device is, you need something accurate to compare it against. You could try looking for a benchmark. A benchmark is a point whose location is known to a high degree of accuracy, created and maintained by NOAA's National Geodetic Survey. On any local cache page, if you scroll down below the hint and additional waypoint section, you will find a link for Find....all nearby benchmarks. This will bring up a listing of the benchmarks closest to that cache. Look for one that states that it is "location adjusted". These have very accurate coordinates. You can tell by looking at the datasheet for the benchmark on the 2nd line under the coordinates. It will either say "location adjusted" or "location scaled". The "location adjusted" ones are the ones you want. The "location scaled" ones are typically located by someone estimating the position by measuring on a map, and can be 100 to 150 feet or more off.

Some benchmarks are on private land, so you may need to look around a little to find one that is easy for you to access. The good news is that there are many of them and finding one you can get to is pretty easy.

Good luck!

Every piece of literature about geocaching, each video and most all news releases refer to this activity as HUNT.

So... HUNT for cache. I know, easier said than done. We have all gone through (one degree or another) what you have encountered. Those still here prevailed (more or less).

Nearly daily, somebody comes into the forums wondering if their equipment is accurate enough.... let's just say that a lot of pilots have died because they did not trust their equipment. Still happens today.

Probably what you are doing is paying too much attention to your FRED*. When close to the hide, you are busy still lookin' at the device when you should be looking for the cache or it's hiding place. With 20'ft or so, look for the hide, stop letting the device steer you around.

*Friggin' Radio Electronic Device

You can always contact the cache owner to see if he will give you any help. On the top of the cache page, just click on the name of the owner to go to the profile page, then click on send email. The CO is not obligated to give any help, so don't be discouraged if he is unwilling or unable.

Also, there is a new feature to the site called "Highlight beginners caches." When you do a search for nearby caches, on the results page at the bottom of the list, there is a check box for highlighting beginner caches. It will outline in yellow caches with low difficulty, recent finds, and no apparent problems. It is a brand new feature, so I don't know how well it will work, but at least it will weed out those really difficult hides, or hides with a history of problems.

Nearly daily, somebody comes into the forums wondering if their equipment is accurate enough.... let's just say that a lot of pilots have died because they did not trust their equipment. Still happens today.

I like that analogy....your instruments will only get you to the airport....once you're on final approach look for the runway and use your senses to land the plane...

Every piece of literature about geocaching, each video and most all news releases refer to this activity as HUNT.

So... HUNT for cache. I know, easier said than done. We have all gone through (one degree or another) what you have encountered. Those still here prevailed (more or less).

Probably what you are doing is paying too much attention to your FRED*. When close to the hide, you are busy still lookin' at the device when you should be looking for the cache or it's hiding place. With 20'ft or so, look for the hide, stop letting the device steer you around.

*Friggin' Radio Electronic Device

I know what geocaching is about. But first I want to make sure my equipment is correct. Nothing wrong with that. Right? Why waste time on hunting if the device might not be incorrect. Not all devices all perfect.

Since you mentioned pilots, you DO know they go through a checklist and testing BEFORE EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT?? ... and I want to test just one time.

There is lots of really good advice here, but I also noticed in your post you said "my cell phone's GPS".... and in that department I might have an additional tip for you. I geocache with an Iphone 3G. I do not use the app either. I have found my iphone GPS to be less than accurate, and that's being kind. However, what is usually VERY good are the aerial images that you can turn on while you are in the Google Maps. These are typically very close to what you are seeing out in the field so to speak, and with a bit of a learning curve will show you all the landmarks you will need to find the cache,(clumps of trees, pathways etc.) Not sure if you are using an iphone, but my advice is to ignore the phone's GPS and use the aerial images to help you look for landmarks. This will also help you become more aware of "hunting" with your eyes in the landscape, and not just staring down at a moving blip...

Reading aerial images is a fun skill to develop. I also agree with whole-heartedly with what most say here.. that once you get close to the coordinates, put down the phone or GPS and just start looking around...apply the "where would I hide something here" logic. Its crazy how good my 13 year old son's eyes are at spotting the containers. Stick with the larger containers at first and pretty soon you'll have your system down.