New Cache Contents

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to Geocaching but have enjoyed the experience and want to contribute so I decided to build some cache's to hide/submit. I've gone and purchased some lock n' lock containers and went to the dollar store and picked up some kids swag (with the help of my 2 young boys) to fill them with. As I'm putting the cache's together my wife looks at the contents and remarks that I've spent too much and she doesn't want to include as many items because of the type of swag she's found when caching.

The last few weeks of Geocaching I've been conscious about the contents of any cache's we've found and to be honest I can see where she's coming from. Some of the swag inside has been a broken bike reflector, gum wrappers, old broken toys (ie hot wheels cars with a missing wheel), nothing close to the take something leave something of equal or greater value. Others have posted that when performing maintenance on their cache's it's pretty common to find the contents full of junk and they just refill and repeat another 6 months later.

My contents included: log book, pen, glow sticks, gold coins(plastic), die-cast cars, light up LED rings, glow-in-the-dark LED star necklaces, and some rubber bouncy balls. Each cache didn't break the bank but my wife has a point. I wanted to have a cache that when found any kids would be really excited about but would also practice the take something leave something of equal or greater value. I'm almost at the point where I'll just submit some Bison tube's instead.

My question is what do you normally include in the contents of your cache('s) and what is considered a reasonable amount? Why do some others (not cacher's as a whole) insist on leaving broken items/garbage which seems pretty inconsiderate to everyone else especially other kids?

It's a sad truth of the game that any swag put into a new cache 'degrades' over time*, however much we try to encourage the "trade up or even, or don't trade" concept. You don't have to put any swag in to start the cache but most owners like to put at least 2 or 3 items in to start off a new one. (Assuming the container is large enough, obviously.)

Please don't down-grade all your ideas to bison tubes - Some of us still enjoy sending out TBs and geocoins and as caches get smaller and smaller their travels become more difficult.

MrsB :)

*"time" can be anything from a couple of weeks to 6 months, according to how frequently the cache is found.

I have an idea to start placing packets of native wildflower seed in caches and even hiding my own nearby. We can include a description of the plant and germination instructions for the seed.

I have no clue as to whether or not local cachers will find this interesting.

Growing and selling rare plants or plants that one can not typically find in the commercial nurseries is my wifes business, so we have LOTS of hand collected seed available.

Back when I started GC'ing in 2002, most caches were ammo cans loaded with goodies in very nice rural areas. Sigh! Those were the good old days. Today's caches are mostly small, micro, nano, and yes, even pico sized. The whole concept of the sport has changed dramatically; in my county it is all about who can hide the smallest cache in the most highly muggle prone areas. The concept of actually placing a "treasure" cache has all but vanished. That said, once in a while I will find a nice sized cache with real swag, and it gives me hope for our sport.

I would add things to your chache that you would like to find in a cache. Including a "first-to-find" prize is a nice touch for launching a new cache. Be aware that not all hunters are kids, and stock it accordingly. Most caches will degrade over time unfortunately, and will have to be refreshed if the CO desires to keep it interesting. A cache will have to be maintained also; remove foods, candy, gum, and other inappropriate items that tend to accumulate. In addition, for some reason I cannot understand, some finders will not replace the cache as found and it will have to be re-hidden. I've found caches sitting right out in the open and or totally exposed. In summary, it takes a bit of time to properly own and maintain a cache. While exciting for new COs, the novelty may wear off and interest is lost; the cache just exists as it is, semi-abandoned, dies off eventually, and winds up being archived. About 66 percent of the caches I've logged over the years have vanished.

Anyway, good luck!

~CK

I'm almost at the point where I'll just submit some Bison tube's instead.

Oh nooooo. Please don't. There are lots of us out there that want to leave our sig items, or a travelbug or some swag. Can't do that in a bison tube. I'd rather find an empty regular size cache so that I can leave something, then a micro with no space for stuff.

My question is what do you normally include in the contents of your cache('s) and what is considered a reasonable amount?

About 5 items. You have to leave room for those people who actually leave travelbugs/swag/sig items. Keep the rest of your swag handy for the next time you do maintenance. Keep your cache looking clean and neat. I for one will not leave anything in an leaky messy swag-size box but will definitely leave decent new baggied swag/sig items/tbs in a container that looks like the owner takes good care of it and is a sturdy watertight container.

Edited by Lone R

It kinda depends on who I taylored the cache for. If it was aimed at familes I load up on toys, small flashlights, kids sunglasses, etc. If I aimed for adults I'd put in some clearance CDs, extra batteries, singnature items and the like.

I put out flower seeds in the spring. Put the package in a ziploc to protect them from moisture.

I have an idea to start placing packets of native wildflower seed in caches and even hiding my own nearby. We can include a description of the plant and germination instructions for the seed.

I have no clue as to whether or not local cachers will find this interesting.

Growing and selling rare plants or plants that one can not typically find in the commercial nurseries is my wifes business, so we have LOTS of hand collected seed available.

We picked up some plain old marigold seeds out of a cache the other day and were thrilled! Keep up the great work! Even if only a few seeds get planted you will be spreading quality seeds out into the world...what could be better? Just make sure they are sealed as to not be ruined.

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to Geocaching but have enjoyed the experience and want to contribute so I decided to build some cache's to hide/submit. I've gone and purchased some lock n' lock containers and went to the dollar store and picked up some kids swag (with the help of my 2 young boys) to fill them with. As I'm putting the cache's together my wife looks at the contents and remarks that I've spent too much and she doesn't want to include as many items because of the type of swag she's found when caching.

The last few weeks of Geocaching I've been conscious about the contents of any cache's we've found and to be honest I can see where she's coming from. Some of the swag inside has been a broken bike reflector, gum wrappers, old broken toys (ie hot wheels cars with a missing wheel), nothing close to the take something leave something of equal or greater value. Others have posted that when performing maintenance on their cache's it's pretty common to find the contents full of junk and they just refill and repeat another 6 months later.

My contents included: log book, pen, glow sticks, gold coins(plastic), die-cast cars, light up LED rings, glow-in-the-dark LED star necklaces, and some rubber bouncy balls. Each cache didn't break the bank but my wife has a point. I wanted to have a cache that when found any kids would be really excited about but would also practice the take something leave something of equal or greater value. I'm almost at the point where I'll just submit some Bison tube's instead.

My question is what do you normally include in the contents of your cache('s) and what is considered a reasonable amount? Why do some others (not cacher's as a whole) insist on leaving broken items/garbage which seems pretty inconsiderate to everyone else especially other kids?

I am a newbie and am not a CO. However, I have been to some newer caches that people placed and they thrilled us. Even if you put out good swag and it degrades over time, if you have it in a location where you can check on it and keep it nice you would be positively adding to the game. If you put out what you would prefer to find rather than the sad types of finds you have come across you are making a positive contribution. I plan on doing that as soon as I get permits for the locations I have in mind. Anyway, blessings and I hope you enjoy having your own cache. :)

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

It's interesting to hear from another point of view and I'd still like to put a few cache's out that aren't Bison's. I guess like anything there's positive's and negative's and you just take it all and deal with it. Now I just need to figure out some good places to hide them at.

@briansnat

WoW! Very impressive cache's. They'd put everything I've come across to date to shame. You can tell that you've put some thought and effort into them. Thanks for posting the pic's and it gives me some inspiration for the content's of my future cache's. :grin:

I got quite disheartened early on when we discovered that every cache we found had rubbish in it. We decided to still leave my swaps anyway to cheer it up for the next finder. Sometimes these got taken quickly, so I started to list what we left to try to encourage fairer swaps after us. Then we found our first new caches and after so many badly maintained ones, it was wonderful. :)

So I would say what you have planned for your caches, inkanorge, is great but also save some for putting in empty caches, of course! I've also noticed people have been kind when visiting our small cache and have left some terrific little items that people comment on, so although that isn't why we did it, our kindness has paid off (and our kids are not so greedy, and will sometimes leave something without taking, another big plus!)

Here are a few of my caches before going out. It should give you some ideas.

99cee6ea-b749-4783-a223-86b13246331f.jpg

f700336a-c8fb-4201-a099-7f1f0dcddc8b.jpg

7b0c112c-d0b0-44f1-a2d5-e84d24eed832.jpg

36b672f3-e7d8-4611-a906-21a781e220e6.jpg

Yes I put socks in a cache.

bb9cbee1-a47a-4996-910d-22c95e7c9449.jpg

How long til your caches degrade, and do you refill with the same quality swag?

Once my cache contents degrade, I usually put less stuff in, if any. I clean it out.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Here are a few of my caches before going out. It should give you some ideas.

Photos removed to save space

How long til your caches degrade, and do you refill with the same quality swag?

Once my cache contents degrade, I usually put less stuff in, if any. I clean it out.

Depends on the cache. The more remote ones can still have quality swag five years after I place them. The ones closer to roads can degrade in 6 months. I generally don't replenish much anymore and if I do I only add a few things. I used completely replenish each cache after it degraded, but as the number of my active caches increased it was getting expensive. I enjoy leaving well stocked caches, but I'm not a commissary.