Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ptarax

Museum and GPS

I work at a museum and I would really like to use the GPS to tell stories about the old times. Something like sending school-children around in the city to look and investigate historic buildings and other places.

I'm trying to convince the museum-director to buy some GPS's for schools to loan or rent. If we can find the money I get them.

The problem is, I don't know how to use them. I have tried a few times and think it is fun. I have some friends who really like it, so I hope they will help me.

Is there some written or unwritten rules I saying anything about a museum doing this? Is it wrong in anyway? It's not to make money because we are not allowed to do that, It is a public duty for a musseum to tell about the past.

I will be happy to hear your view on this and any suggestions how to start

I work at a museum and I would really like to use the GPS to tell stories about the old times. Something like sending school-children around in the city to look and investigate historic buildings and other places.

I'm trying to convince the museum-director to buy some GPS's for schools to loan or rent. If we can find the money I get them.

The problem is, I don't know how to use them. I have tried a few times and think it is fun. I have some friends who really like it, so I hope they will help me.

Is there some written or unwritten rules I saying anything about a museum doing this? Is it wrong in anyway? It's not to make money because we are not allowed to do that, It is a public duty for a musseum to tell about the past.

I will be happy to hear your view on this and any suggestions how to start

Who is in a position to judge if it's right or wrong? I would put it in the category of education. Go for it!

Ask your reviewer.

How to find your local reviewer < link

They may say "Ask Groundspeak"

If Groundspeak say "OK" it's OK!

Did I misunderstand what she wants to do? If there are no geocaches involved my original post stands, it wouldn't have anything to do with Groundspeak. If she is going to put a cache at each location then it would be as Bear and Ragged said.

Ask your reviewer.

How to find your local reviewer < link

They may say "Ask Groundspeak"

If Groundspeak say "OK" it's OK!

Did I misunderstand what she wants to do? If there are no geocaches involved my original post stands, it wouldn't have anything to do with Groundspeak. If she is going to put a cache at each location then it would be as Bear and Ragged said.

Worst thing GS did was to drop peoples location from the forums...

If the museum wants to just use/loan GPS's no problem.

If they want to set caches, they may need to get approval from GS, especially if they want to promote the fact: 1. They are a museum, and 2. They can hire/loan GPS's to people wanting to try/use them in the cache page.

The other option, if it's instructions on how to use a GPS, asking on the local forum for any locals that could help is an option... But we don't know where the poster is based!

Our local park and recreation department has set up a couple multi stage caches in the park. For a small fee ($5) you can rent a GPS unit with the stages loaded on the unit and a park cache guide. You answer questions from each stage and turn the completed form in the park with the unit and you can purchase a path tag for $2.

I have seen several museums make multi stage caches for the facility and publish them.

The sky is the limit. I guess what is the purpose? To get people to visit the faciltiy or make revenue? If it is visitation, than ask for donations to purchase them and check them out with a small maintenance fee. How's that?