Highlight beginner's cache

Anyone else seen this new filter at the bottom of the search screen on geocaching.com to highlighting beginner caches?

Beginner CachesSome geocache characteristics make it more likely that a new geocacher will be successful when they are first getting started. Beginner caches incorporate these characteristics:

• Traditional type
  • Low difficulty
  • Recently found by others
  • No micro sized caches
  • No problems reported

Anyone else seen this new filter at the bottom of the search screen on geocaching.com to highlighting beginner caches?

Beginner CachesSome geocache characteristics make it more likely that a new geocacher will be successful when they are first getting started. Beginner caches incorporate these characteristics:

• Traditional type
  • Low difficulty
  • Recently found by others
  • No micro sized caches
  • No problems reported

I just had a look. Couldn't see it though.

What a good idea! We see this repeated over and over again in the Getting Started forums, about looking for larger, traditional caches that have had recent finds with no reported problems. Some caching days it will be nice to use the filter anyway. :) (And a good way to see what is missing in an area when thinking about hiding a cache.)

hm...got a link to the search screen? lol It's a good idea, but haven't spotted where it is.

Apologies , the link is at the bottom of the search RESULTS page

Beginner caches are highlighted in green below and are recommended for new geocachers. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck the setting "Highlight beginner caches" to stop highlighting caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=51.51333&lng=-0.08894699999996192&dist=100

I might be being very thick, but I click on the tick box to highlight the beginner caches, but none get highlighted in green, I have checked many different pages, most caches are small or regular size, traditional type, with plenty of recent finders with the D/T = 1.5/1.5

I might be being very thick, but I click on the tick box to highlight the beginner caches, but none get highlighted in green, I have checked many different pages, most caches are small or regular size, traditional type, with plenty of recent finders with the D/T = 1.5/1.5

Scroll down the page, go to the next page. May take a little looking if you looking around caches that are above 1.5/1.5 are micros and have recent DNF's or Need Maintenance.

And, I'm not sure how 'recent' is recently found!

(Or, I think, certain attributes)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Scroll down the page, go to the next page. May take a little looking if you looking around caches that are above 1.5/1.5 are micros and have recent DNF's or Need Maintenance.

And, I'm not sure how 'recent' is recently found!

(Or, I think, certain attributes)

Thanks, just ran my pocket query for unfound local traditional caches and of the first 100 only 2 are classed as beginner, both have a D/T of 1/1 and have recent finders. I thought I was somehow missing the highlighting, but no, it is there. Still surprised it is only 2% of caches though...

Me too. I also checked on the page linked.

I did not realise I had to search the databse to find one for you!!! :P

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=52.0422&lng=-0.7047000000000025&dist=5

I did not realise I had to search the databse to find one for you!!! :P

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=52.0422&lng=-0.7047000000000025&dist=5

I'm still not getting the caches highlighted. I'm using Firefox atm. But I even tried in *shudder* Internet Explorer and same thing.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by thehalibutkid

I've tried it now and the first on my list is one I DNF'd 3 times (and 3 other people had to flag it up as DNF, over several months) before the CO went to check it. I didn't get a mail from the CO (well I didn't send one either, but still) yet they deleted 2 of my DNFs (These were only the times I went with the family, I didn't count the times I snuck out on my own to have a look!) :rolleyes:

The only other one on my list is is a takeout box (or was when I found it) and is not being maintained by the CO. :tired:

I guess there is no accounting for COs.

Hmmm.......what is considered as a "beginners cache"? The reason I ask? One of MY caches is highlighted......but I've only been caching nearly 10 years :laughing: :laughing:

I think it is to identify a set of caches that are likely to be beginner-friendly :lol:

A-haaa! Now I know :laughing: