Limited HTML geocaching.com for mobile browsers

martinp13

I had a hard time saying everything I needed to say in the subject line! icon_smile.gif

I have a Handspring Treo, and it does a decent job of browsing the internet. I have been using the "offline" tools like Mobipocket and its user-created kin. With them, I can get everything I need, except a way to interface with the mother ship. icon_smile.gif

Right now, if I'm in the field and want to email a cache owner, I have to log in thru the main screen, which has WAY too much stuff, graphics, ads, zillions of links, etc. I'm paying by the kb, so I'd love to have just a very VERY limited set of geocaching pages:

a simple main login screen. If you get past that, then you get:

view cache by waypoint ID (with printer-friendly response shown automatically, map not needed)

email owner of waypoint ID

maybe even log cache by waypoint ID

I don't need to search, or chat, or read forums, or anything like that when I'm staring at my small screen in the woods. I just want to be able to do basic geocache stuff on a small screen.

Anyone else have ideas of stuff that would be useful?

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

I think you can run a WAP emulator, but it runs honest-to-goodness web pages (minus some fancy stuff like javascript, etc).

Besides, the options on the WAP page are:

List caches by:

US State

Country

US Zipcode

And all it gives for a cache listing is cache title, hider, lat/long, state (ie, Texas), date stashed. That's it. Not very useful, I'm afraid.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

[This message was edited by martinp13 on February 08, 2003 at 06:04 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by martinp13:

I had a hard time saying everything I needed to say in the subject line! icon_smile.gif

I have a Handspring Treo, and it does a decent job of browsing the internet. I have been using the "offline" tools like Mobipocket and its user-created kin. With them, I can get everything I need, except a way to interface with the mother ship. icon_smile.gif

First off, I assume you can save bookmarks. You can just set up a bookmark to automatically log you in.

The format is:

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?S=0&ID=&U=&username=USER+NAME&password=PASSWORD&Login=Login

With the obvious replacements.

I have a site set up that makes wireless caching easier. Try http://gdbclub.org/cgi-bin/gc/mobile.cgi

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

I find that my Sidekick does fine on most of the geocaching.com site. I have been viewing and logging caches and TBs from the field. I primarily have the following problems:

1. Pages with background images won't load because of the extra

tag.

2. There's some kind of session timeout on the site which often causes me to end up at My Cache Page when I click the Log a Cache button.

3. Because all the ads are on the leftnav, it takes a lot of scrolling to get past them, but if I turn off images, there is no text link to Log a Cache.

4. The Mapquest link goes to an unzoomed-in link which looks pretty much like the map I already see on the cache page. This means I have to wait for a useless map page to load before I can click to get a useful map.

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

We're converting the site over to .NET which will allow us to develop alternative presentation sites like WAP and mobile devices. Expect some new changes in April/May.

That is some welcome news! I'm looking forward to seeing all the new features.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

You can just set up a bookmark to automatically log you in.

It's still almost 10K of text, not including pictures, and it doesn't fit on a small screen. And once I get there, I have to click on "Visit my cache page", which is another ton of ill-fitting text. On a desktop/laptop system, it's fine, and exactly what I want. But I have different needs and capabilities when I'm in the woods.

Jeremy: the .NET stuff will be interesting. I don't know how Microsoft-centric their set-up is when it comes to PocketPC versus Palm OS.

> Martin (Magellan 330)