Geocaching with my HTC Evo 4G

glmdpt

Hi fellow cachers. I have just recently started geocaching and I absolutely love it. I am doing ok I suppose but feel I need some advise.

My HTC Evo 4G routinely places me 30-50 METERS off of ground zero. Now, dont get me wrong, I dont want to have a super easy find but if it wasnt for the hints and log postings of fellow geocachers, I pbly wouldnt have found any. I would like to get closer to ground zero. Is there anything I can download to my Evo to improve my GPS accuracy? I looked into the Trimble Geocache navigator but it doesnt seem to be available for the Evo...

Please help!

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :)

~10 meters accuracy is probably a good average precision for dedicated handheld GPSr's, but most Smartphones are much worse, because the manufacturers of Smartphones know 99% of their customers just want the GPS receiver to be good enough to find a gas station/ATM/etc.

No there isn't anything you can download to make your Evo more accurate. You ~might~ help it's precision buy buying an external bluetooth GPS receiver, but if you're going to do that then why not just buy a separate dedicated GPSr?

c:geo is the best geocaching Android app. You can download GPS Status & Toolbox to see if that helps your GPS issues. Many HTC Thunderbolt users have had good luck with it.

Thanks to you both for your replies! I actually use c:geo; I like it except for the 30meter+ accuracy issue. I will try the GPS status and toolbox; thanks for the advice!

I just started geocaching and had no other choice but to use my EVO. I downloaded Geo Status on the fly and increased my precision immensely. I do plan on getting a "real" GPS device so I don't have to worry about battery usage or screen timeouts. But this device and application got me started and with positive results.