Placing Geocaches in Gifford Pincot National Forest

sisu4ever

Does anyone know what Gifford Pinchot National Forest policies are regarding placing caches on their land? I have searched their website, searched the internet, haven't found any answer, and I sent them an email yesterday, but haven't gotten any response yet.

Send an email to your local reviewer. Most likely they know. My reviewers knows all about what is required, who to contact, and if permits are required.

watching this thread as I was planning on placing a couple next week while down there camping and riding.. there are a few dozen caches already in the forest down there.. and there's no official national level policy on caching on NF land, but I would be interested in hearing what they say.

AFAIK, caches can be placed in all National Forest lands in Washington without prior approval. If you look at a map, you can see plenty of caches out there, including Gifford Pinchot.

Wilderness Areas and National Parks are a different story - they are off-limits without approval from the land managers.

I did get an email reply from GPNF:

"Geocaching is a permissible activity on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

Geocaching is prohibited in Wilderness, Natural Areas, Research Areas, and

the restricted zones of the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument.

The cache needs to be located so that user trails are not created. For example

along a trail or adjoining an existing site.

Here is a link to a map showing the restricted zones of the Monument.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_004860.pdf "

I take that means no permission needed - just need to follow their rules, along with the geocaching.com rules, of course.

I take that means no permission needed - just need to follow their rules, along with the geocaching.com rules, of course.

good to know.. now if we could get the State Park managers to ease up on their requirements.. I have some favorite spots in some State Parks that would make ideal cache placements, but not worth going through the hassle of their red tape.. which is too bad because cachers = visitors = money. Especially now that they are charging for access again.

Edited by happy deac0n

good to know.. now if we could get the State Park managers to ease up on their requirements.. I have some favorite spots in some State Parks that would make ideal cache placements, but not worth going through the hassle of their red tape.. which is too bad because cachers = visitors = money. Especially now that they are charging for access again.

Yes, that's great intel - thanks, sisu4ever.

WA State Parks are not likely to eliminate their geocaching permit process. They favored banning caches outright several years ago, which led to the formation of WSGA as the advocate for geocachers with park systems. WSP insisted on a permit process, so WSGA helped WSP craft the current guidelines (which could be amended a bit, but we don't have that authority).

The "hassle" of placing a cache in a state park depends entirely on the individual park managers. I know several cachers who've gotten caches approved in just a few minutes (after turning in the form); other park managers are less accommodating. You have nothing to lose by inquiring, just like sisu4ever did.