Garmin Montana ver 2.70

yogazoo

Available via WebUpdater

Changes from version 2.60 to version 2.70:

Fixed issue that could cause the main menu's dashboard to disappear

Fixed issue with the photo viewer when there are no photos on the device

Fixed issue involving setting the units for proximity alerts

Fixed issue with multilingual custom POI files

Fixed issue where the geocaching dashboard would occasionally display incorrect terrain and difficulty levels

Fixed issue that occasionally occurred when entering the camera page (650 and 650t models)

Fixed sporadic camera artifacts (650 and 650t models)

Fixed issue involving creating a waypoint with a proximity alarm from a geocache

Edited by yogazoo

Tonight I tested the cradle boot issues I've been having and they seem to have been worked out in this release. I was hoping for some of the big ones to be addressed, like:

1)some buttons that don't work from the main page (search by coordinates, profile changing shortcuts, etc)

2)compass weirdness when routing

3)recalculating issues when moving at pedestrian speeds

4)a barometer that actually records data when "Save Always" is selected, etc

5) a food and drink search that doesn't take a full 2 minutes

I guess I'll just have to be a glass half full kind of guy for now.

They didn't mention the compass & routing issues? Those are the most serious bugs the Montana has!

Glad mine is on its way back to Amazon.

So when they fix these issues in the next release you'll order another? I'll bet anyone here a shiny new nickle that they have these issues worked out by the end of August at the latest. :)

PS: part of that is wishful thinking, part of that is faith in the beta team's abilities.

bout' 50/50

Edited by yogazoo

They didn't mention the compass & routing issues? Those are the most serious bugs the Montana has!

Glad mine is on its way back to Amazon.

So when they fix these issues in the next release you'll order another? I'll bet anyone here a shiny new nickle that they have these issues worked out by the end of August at the latest. :)

PS: part of that is wishful thinking, part of that is faith in the beta team's abilities.

bout' 50/50

and faith the beta testers keep reporting problems :ph34r:

So when they fix these issues in the next release you'll order another?

Naw. After 14 or 15 of their devices, I'm through with Garmin. I am quite happy with the solution I am using now, more so than I ever was with any Garmin device.

Whats the solution?

Yog, are Garmin replying to your emails?

Smartphone + Otterbox case + external bluetooth GPS. Works better than ANY handheld GPSR I have owned, and I have owned a lot of them. It also does a heck of a lot of other things that handheld GPSRs don't do.

The only shortcoming for me is screen readability in bright sun, but I can read it fine, just not as easily as a TFT display.

Edited by michaelnel

I noticed a change within 2.70 that has not been noted.

Prior to 2.70, if you locked the Montana and touched the screen inadvertently, the device would beep... after a while that could become somewhat annoying. Now, with 2.70 if you lock the device and touch the screen... there is no sound. I appreciate that.

@ Maingray -

The Montana beta software team has been more interractive than any in my experience (although the Oregon team is a close second). They have been very good in working with me to resolve problems. If I email them with a bug that they haven't documented they will attempt to reproduce it in their lab and if they can't they usually email me for more information. As a longtime Garmin customer and a fanboy of their products I'm glad to see them being this responsive and willing to work to resolve issues no matter how small or specialized to the individual they may be. Some Montana owners lose patience quickly and get frustrated at the things that don't work as they should. While I understand their frustration I'm not going to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

Smartphone + Otterbox case + external bluetooth GPS. Works better than ANY handheld GPSR I have owned, and I have owned a lot of them. It also does a heck of a lot of other things that handheld GPSRs don't do.

The only shortcoming for me is screen readability in bright sun, but I can read it fine, just not as easily as a TFT display.

Looking forward to your posts where you're bashing smartphones used as GPSrs and worshiping that other new GPSr you got :ph34r:

Looking forward to your posts where you're bashing smartphones used as GPSrs and worshiping that other new GPSr you got :ph34r:

But he is going to need to go through 14 or 15 smartphones first.

Ðamn, they still didn't fix the worst issue: that crappy touchscreen keyboard.

It's nearly impossible to input some text. Whichever orientation, one part of the keyboard is 'off' by one or two complete keys.

Also, 2.70 broke the internationalization of the interface. Part of the interface is now English, making it a hybrid English-Dutch interface.

Edited by crewone

It's nearly impossible to input some text. Whichever orientation, one part of the keyboard is 'off' by one or two complete keys.

That is probably a HW issue. I had the same problem, and it got worse over time. Garmin replaced the unit with a new one that works fine.

Prior to 2.70, if you locked the Montana and touched the screen inadvertently, the device would beep... after a while that could become somewhat annoying. Now, with 2.70 if you lock the device and touch the screen... there is no sound. I appreciate that.

Hmmm, I'm still getting the beep (when locked from the main menu page). If I lock it on any other screen like the map or trip computer, it only beeps when I tap the X button. Maybe that's what you mean, I think it used to beep on any screen anywhere you tapped.

That is probably a HW issue. I had the same problem, and it got worse over time. Garmin replaced the unit with a new one that works fine.

This issue has me a bit uneasy. Are there only a few defective units or is this something that every unit is on the verge of? Can anyone who has had this issue please post a truncated serial number? Is there a range of serials that imply a bad "batch" from the factory? Perhaps it's just due to a defective part but the fact that the folks who experience this problem have working units and the next thing you know they start to go bad and get progressively worse has me really worried.

Can anyone who has had this issue please post a truncated serial number? Is there a range of serials that imply a bad "batch" from the factory? Perhaps it's just due to a defective part but the fact that the folks who experience this problem have working units and the next thing you know they start to go bad and get progressively worse has me really worried.

The one that was replaced had serial number 88x while the new one has 47x.

Hmmm, I'm still getting the beep (when locked from the main menu page). If I lock it on any other screen like the map or trip computer, it only beeps when I tap the X button. Maybe that's what you mean, I think it used to beep on any screen anywhere you tapped.

Yogazoo,

Thank you for checking on my report. You are correct, the device beeps when it is locked from the main page; no beep when it is locked from the map page, unless you tap the X button. I appreciate your attention to details.

Edited by Barrikady

Crash regarding searching via "Map Point" in "Extras" or custom poi's loaded with POI loader.

When I try to search a custom POI database loaded with POI loader via "Search Near" and then "Map Point" the map screen comes up. As soon as you start panning the map to find the map point you want to search near the "GO" button dissapears and if you try to hit the back arrow the unit freezes and a battery removal is the only way to reset the system. If you'd like I can send you the .gpi file with the poi databases but I've tried several databases with the same result.

Can anyone else with POI's loaded with poi loader do me a favor and confirm this bug?

UPDATE: Actually the "Search Near" "A Map Point" is broken for all waypoints not just the custom poi's. Once you start panning the map the system freezes and you need to remove the battery to bring it out.

Edited by yogazoo

Crash regarding searching via "Map Point" in "Extras" or custom poi's loaded with POI loader.

When I try to search a custom POI database loaded with POI loader via "Search Near" and then "Map Point" the map screen comes up. As soon as you start panning the map to find the map point you want to search near the "GO" button dissapears and if you try to hit the back arrow the unit freezes and a battery removal is the only way to reset the system. If you'd like I can send you the .gpi file with the poi databases but I've tried several databases with the same result.

Can anyone else with POI's loaded with poi loader do me a favor and confirm this bug?

UPDATE: Actually the "Search Near" "A Map Point" is broken for all waypoints not just the custom poi's. Once you start panning the map the system freezes and you need to remove the battery to bring it out.

Mine does not crash.

Jim

Even with all the maps removed my unit still crashes. Remember, and you might have, to pan on the maps screen once it comes up. The go button is there when you first search near "A Map Point" but as soon as you pan the map to find the location you'd like to search near, the unit freezes up and your caught in a dead end loop. Removing the batteries is the only way to break the loop.

It also doesn't matter what you search, could be your waypoints or some other category of POI's. It doesn't matter the end result is the same.

Edited by yogazoo

Thanks guys, Hopefully your all running v2.70 to eliminate any version differences.

Just for the heck of it I performed a hard reset, removed all external data and tried again, and experienced the same crash.

Do me a favor, go to your waypoints folder hit the menu button at the bottom, do a "Search Near" and "A Map Point" and try the test again. I can't imagine this is a hardware issue. My Montana should be just like everyone elses.

Thanks guys, Hopefully your all running v2.70 to eliminate any version differences.

Just for the heck of it I performed a hard reset, removed all external data and tried again, and experienced the same crash.

Do me a favor, go to your waypoints folder hit the menu button at the bottom, do a "Search Near" and "A Map Point" and try the test again. I can't imagine this is a hardware issue. My Montana should be just like everyone elses.

Doing it that way, mine locks up on 2.7. I don't however have to pull the battery. I hold the power button and get three beeps, about 5 or 6 seconds and then it shuts off. Hit the power button again and it fires right up.

Also, 2.70 broke the internationalization of the interface. Part of the interface is now English, making it a hybrid English-Dutch interface.

I have the same problem...typing is a vrapshoot with no way of knowing which keystroke will actuate which letter/symbol/numeral...takes forever and is a guessing game at best.

I have the same problem...typing is a vrapshoot with no way of knowing which keystroke will actuate which letter/symbol/numeral...takes forever and is a guessing game at best.

That's a hardware issue. You need to get a hold of garmin and get it repaired/replaced.

Doing it that way, mine locks up on 2.7. I don't however have to pull the battery. I hold the power button and get three beeps, about 5 or 6 seconds and then it shuts off. Hit the power button again and it fires right up.

Thanks guy's for checking. At least I know that the Montana software team will be able to reproduce it.

Newbie here, as I left my trusty Oregon 450 on bonnet and watched it bounce along M4, I need to get a replacement asap. I was going to go for a Montana due to the increased screen size but I'm hearing lots of negatives about them with so many teething problems. Can anyone say whether they would actually recommend buying a unit yet or are there so many issues that it would be better left for a while?

Cheers, Jayne