Chat Rooms

Kiwi cruiser

It's been going quite well at gcchat.clayjar.com for the last year or so.

While I would love to see the java client currently in place there linked predominately on GC.com, I like the current setup for several reasons.

First, while there is a web-based java client, the actual chat is hosted on a standard, public IRC server. This means diehard chatters can use dedicated, OS specific clients with addition features that can be individually tailored.

Second, since both the actual IRC server and the web-based client are hosted offsite, ALL geocachers, not just users of GC.com can (hopefully) feel welcome there. I have seen TPTB from both sites visit the chat room on occassion, and while I obviously prefer to just use one site (this one, of course!), it's always nice to chat with fellow geocachers, whatever website they log caches on.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Cruiser:

I wonder why it is not connected to this site? I just went and had a quick look at it ... it seems O.K.

It's not connected to Geocaching.com primarily because over a year ago a bunch of us basically decided on our own to have a chat, and I tracked down a Java chat client, paid the registration, and set the whole thing up. It was basically a grassroots thing.

Quite a while back Jeremy said that he'd get it all set up on Geocaching.com if I didn't want it, but since I'm perfectly happy hosting it and since I'm "in charge" of the official chats each Monday night at 8:30 Central US (01:30 UTC, if I recall correctly), I might as well keep the few bytes on my server. (And as has been noted, some people have issues with Geocaching.com for whatever reason, and this way they can be involved; I try to keep people from disparaging *any* site... there's just no need to be rude.)

Of course, if there was a "Geocaching chat" link somewhere people can notice it, that would be fine, but if there's not, we have enough geochatters to reply to the topic whenever it comes up. icon_wink.gif

I'm another regular in ClayJar's chatroom and hope to see you there sometime! I wanted to mention that we're fortunate to be visited regularly by several geocachers from Australia and New Zealand. They are great to talk to.

By my calculations, to join us for official chat you'd need to be there at 11:30 a.m., Perth time, on Tuesday of course. But if you can't make it for official chat, there is almost always somebody in there.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.