Geocaching.com site update August 2nd 2011

Correct me if I am wrong but upon searching for a cache using the Play > Seek a cache link I found that when searching for a cache-name the results are all but what it should be...

For example when searching for caches with the name "apen" the link would become:

http://www.geocachin...t.aspx?key=apen

The resulting 1st cache I get back is in portugal then 1 in Belgium.. 5 in the netherlands and so the list goes on... There is definitely something wrong with the search on gc.com which is now unusable unless you know the exact name.

Can you please fix this ?

The returned caches all have "apen" in their name. What did you expect to see?

Search for Mingo. You'd expect it to be first as it is an exact match. It ends up several pages in after all the pink flaMINGO caches. I have found the name/keyword search to be pretty much useless.

Search for Mingo. You'd expect it to be first as it is an exact match. It ends up several pages in after all the pink flaMINGO caches. I have found the name/keyword search to be pretty much useless.

Ah. But I think it's always been like that. I see your point, but I don't see anything "broken" with giving a simple alphabetical list either.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but since the most recent site update, all TB watchlist notification emails contain the wrong URL for the link to the relevant cache page.

For example, an excerpt from one I received shortly after the update:

View from Coombe Hill

http://coord.info/GL1Y3TYH

The link doesn't go to the cache page for 'View from Coombe Hill' as expected, it goes to some random guy's log from nearly three years ago :lol: It correct URL would be http://coord.info/GC171 All subsequent TB watchlist emails I've received contain a the URL to a seemingly random cache log from about the same time period too so something's gone wonky.

Previously there there was an old-fashioned non-coord.info link to the cache page. I can understand why you've changed but you're putting in the wrong links :lol:

Edited by JeremyR

T5 caches are highlighted as beginner caches if they have a low D-rating. I don't think that these are really beginner caches.

I've been looking at this as well and I don't understand the mechanism here. I looked at my local area and see that plenty of traditional/low difficulty/low terrain caches that have been found recently are not labeled as beginner caches, while others are. I also noticed that a nearby 2.5/3.5 cache was labelled as a beginner cache, while nearby caches with lower ratings were not.

I'm curious regarding the underlying logic of this feature.

This little tooltip explains the logic. It can be modified in the future if the results aren't what was expected.

8WVdc.png

Now that the parameters have been changed so that D=3.5 is not included, I think they went a bit too far in the other direction. I'm okay with only D=1 (though I think 1.5 could well be included) but I can't understand why Beginner caches have to be wheel-chair accessible. C'mon, T=1 is a ridiculous limit; that needs to be at least 1.5.

I agree. I think even a D=1.5 would be good too. As it is in my area there are only 2 beginner rated caches out of 400. There would be a couple more if COs would clear there NMs after fixing the problems.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of formatting of "hints" on a cache page once they're decrypted? It looks like the line returns are being stripped out. Looks OK when it's encrypted though...

That's a long-standing issue.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but since the most recent site update, all TB watchlist notification emails contain the wrong URL for the link to the relevant cache page.

Yes it has been, see post number 52 in this thread. Unfortunately I received no response.

Does anyone know where to report this problem if it doesn't belong in this thread?

Greetz Bloodwoosj.

Yes it has been, see post number 52 in this thread. Unfortunately I received no response.

Does anyone know where to report this problem if it doesn't belong in this thread?

Greetz Bloodwoosj.

Here:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/category/26791-report-a-web-site-problem

I didn't search through to see if it was already there.

We are aware of this issue. It has been reported here: http://feedback.geoc...kable-email-gl-

And, two seconds ago, notification of the fix came through my inbox, so the issue should be corrected in the next release.