Garmin GPS 60CX

That's OK to have the names cut off.. at least I'd have the first few letters.. easier to locate than a list of GC's.. could I bother you to help me by giving me step by step instructions how to use the GSAK and macro to do this? Thanks.

GSAK does it anyway, it's called 'Smart Names' you only need to set the length of the name.

That's OK to have the names cut off.. at least I'd have the first few letters.. easier to locate than a list of GC's.. could I bother you to help me by giving me step by step instructions how to use the GSAK and macro to do this? Thanks.

No need for a macro. If you are using GSAK, when you go download the waypoints to the GPSr, go to GPS, select send waypoints and in the drop down menu go to Waypoint Name and change it from %code to %smart. In the maximum characters block put in the number of letters you want to see. I suggest using 15 - 20.

No need for a macro. If you are using GSAK, when you go download the waypoints to the GPSr, go to GPS, select send waypoints and in the drop down menu go to Waypoint Name and change it from %code to %smart. In the maximum characters block put in the number of letters you want to see. I suggest using 15 - 20.

Yeah my 60csx I use Smart%=14 (the 60CSX has a max 14 characters) for my waypoint name

and I put the the other basic info (size, T/D, type etc.) in the waypoint description.

Play with these:

http://gsak.net/help/v710/hs10300.htm

Using a macro you can get even more info with custom waypoints, but I use an Ipod or my Nuvi for full descriptions.

Edited by d+n.s

It's personal preference, to be sure. Because of the limited characters, a lot of the longer cache titles get cutoff. So I use %code and display the GC codes. There is a downside, though. I went after a very small cache that had no hint available but the title was Cedar Tree Treasure. There was only one small cedar tree among a myriad of other types of trees but I got a DNF because, if I had seen the title I would have realized it was in that tree....DOH!

I also use GSAK, but use a macro to generate POI files. It has some advantages:

- You can load way more than 1000 points

- You can also load Child Waypoints

- You also add some basic cache information like D/T and Last Found date

- You can also load the hint information

Of course the name is the smart name GSAK generates.

Just drop me a message if you want more information on this option.