Caches get over written

oldgala

When I load my 450 or 550t Oregon with a query of 500 caches in GPX format from GSAK they work great but when I try to load a second query the first query disappears from my GPS. I use GSAK to load the queries. I have deleted the GPX files from the GPS and then it is clear of caches. Then I try to load a query again I get only the one query ....what am I doing wrong? I do know that my GPS's can hold up to 5000 caches! Is there a setting I need to make somewhere? We would to have at least 3 or 4 queries running at one time for a total of 1200 caches. The queries are each named for the area into which I am going eg: Williams lake to cache creek2011.

Edited by oldgala

Well, when you load on caches from GSAK, the default is to wipe the caches on the GPS. There's a button to uncheck to make it not clear.

BUT!!!!!

Why are you loading queries on individually using GSAK!!??

What I do, which seems to work well, is load all the queries I've run on a day into GSAK. Then use "filters" in GSAK to only see the caches I want to see. (Usually the ones who had the GPX file updated that day and are active), then I just "Send to GPS" and only the visable caches get sent. in that case, its great that GSAK wipes my GPS for me. If a cache didn't show up in the PQs I run that day, it gets taken off my GPS!

You can just drag and drop the GPX files directly into the GPX folder. No need to go through GSAK. But check to make sure the GPX files your sending to your unit don't have the same name. Sounds like the new GPX file has the same name and is overwriting the first.

There are some GPS's (mine included (Garmin GPSMAP 62s)) where you can't load more than one GPX in that way.

You can just drag and drop the GPX files directly into the GPX folder. No need to go through GSAK. But check to make sure the GPX files your sending to your unit don't have the same name. Sounds like the new GPX file has the same name and is overwriting the first.

There are some GPS's (mine included (Garmin GPSMAP 62s)) where you can't load more than one GPX in that way.

Fortunately for the OP the Oregon doesn't have a limit of 1 GPX file.

I keep several different databases in GSAK to handle different PQs.

- I have a "Default" database that loads the PQ for "normal" caches centred over my home coordinates + my PQ for my fave hiking area

- I have a "Brass Cap" database for tracking locations relating to GC43F3

- I have a "Puzzles" database for tracking Unknown/Mystery caches and my solutions/corrected coordinates.

I run a macro in GSAK that updates the individual databases from my various PQs. It then runs filters against each database (remove anything with 3 or more straight DNFs, remove any puzzles that I haven't solved, etc.). As each filter runs it copies the caches into another database called Export. When it's all said and done it exports the "Export" database to the GPSr.

This allows me to use the "Wipe all Geocaching data" option in GSAK so the GPSr only has current information yet still combine multiple PQs into a single export.

Lots of ways it can be done, just wanted to add one more.

This info is incorrect for the GPSMap 62s. You can load 200 GPX files on this unit. You just have to make sure they have different names.

If you're using GSAK, I recommend the Garmin Export macro to load Garmin units. Not only does it load all the geocaches selected but it will also load all of your found and placed caches and adds a handful of other poi files for marking the cache icons in various ways.