Noteworthy Des Moines Caches

instantkarma79

Hi all, I live in Denver (originally from Clinton, IA) and will be in Des Moines for just 1 night at the end of Sept for a friend's wedding. Will be able to do a little caching the next morning. Was hoping for some advice on really noteworthy (but not time-consuming) caches in the area. In particular, if there are any that are older caches. Anyone know where the oldest Iowa cache is, for example?

Thanks!

To find the oldest caches in a state, you can do a pocket query specifying the following...

Within -> States/Provinces -> Iowa

Placed During -> between -> January 1, 2000 to January 1, 2002

You can then preview the query and sort by the "Placed" column.

Doing that, I found that Maltese Goldfinch (Re-resurrected) by Wulfgar | GC162 is the oldest, but it is in northeast Iowa. The second oldest is near Ames, IA and the third in Ledges State Park south of Boone.

I have a cache on the west side of Des Moines called Knarly | GC2RFER

You might also try running a query centered on where you are staying and scanning for caches with a high number of favorite points which meet your difficulty/terrain requirements. I actually have a query centered on the downtown area... here's a few that jump out:

YIN -YANG by BB | GC1JBGH | Iowa

The Elves' Bridge by The 3 Elves | GC2KKVC | Iowa

The Walnut Inn & TB Resort by The 3 Elves | GC20K1Y | Iowa

Five Stones - One Tree (EarthCache) by bucknuts | GC1WHMF | Iowa

(dd) by ddCustomFittedBras | GC18ZME | Iowa

Iowa State Fair Trivia by The 3 Elves | GC1X2D9 | Iowa

PULLIN' TUBES by DA BUTTER | GC1F69C | Iowa

Hope that helps... happy caching :)

We've got some good caches around... if you're able, there's a really neat night cache. It's "pajama cache" ( GC1C1T1 ). You'll need a flashlight & bug spray, but if you're willing to go out after the reception, its worth it! I've got a couple of finds off that list Darick posted.. and a couple of them are on my to-do list, so I'd 2nd those suggestions :)

Have fun!