Labadee Beach cache - CO won't let me log DNF

Jaybeee

If I were you I'd spend some serious time thinking about why this is so important to you. What is really going on here?

Nothing really deep or mysterious. I'm just an anal-retentive perfectionist who works in law enforcement :)

Better not go 61 in a 60mph zone while you're on duty, huh? :lol:

Not unless you're geocaching and on your way to a FTF. I try to be reasonable!

This is gonna go over really well.

http://coord.info/GL67E0HT

My DNF has been reinstated, which is all I wanted. Now the cache has been made "temporarily unavailable," which seems to have really upset that person. It looks like this cache has been replaced many, many times over the years by goecachers from the cruise ships. The original is long gone, replacements have come and gone, and the published coordinates have never been updated. I don't understand why anyone would be upset about the cache being archived since no one is really sure if it's even there, and if it is, it's not at the published coordinates. Someone from the geocaching community needs to move to Labadee so they can maintain the cache - any volunteers?

If I were you I'd spend some serious time thinking about why this is so important to you. What is really going on here?

Nothing really deep or mysterious. I'm just an anal-retentive perfectionist who works in law enforcement :)

Better not go 61 in a 60mph zone while you're on duty, huh? :lol:

Not unless you're geocaching and on your way to a FTF. I try to be reasonable!

When was that?

A huge fight with nearly no result. Are you and the CO congressmen?

Do you ever wonder why people feel compelled to post comments that have no real purpose other than to inflame? It's fascinating to watch the dark side of human behaviour that emerges when people feel hidden by the anonymity of the Internet.

A Royal Caribbean employee saw us looking, and gave us a bit of history on the cache, the frustration of those before us, and warned us about the locals moving the cache and then offering to "help" people find it for a fee.

Ouch! What party poopers.

I don't understand why anyone would be upset about the cache being archived

I assume the issue is that this is an old listing, from the first year of geocaching. Therefore, some people think of it like a historical landmark. It has a lot of old logs and pictures, so if it was archived and replaced with a new listing, those old logs would be harder to access.

Now, I have not received my senior discount card yet, so I do not believe in giving special status to things that are old simply because they are old.

Just telling you why someone could be upset about this being archived.

Now, I have not received my senior discount card yet, so I do not believe in giving special status to things that are old simply because they are old.

Me neither and this cache seems to be a poster child for the rule against vacation caches, regardless of its age.

Me neither and this cache seems to be a poster child for the rule against vacation caches, regardless of its age.

It is no doubt a poster child. I will be saddened when it gets archived though (and I have no doubt that the recent arguing in the logs of the cache will only hasten its doom).

Perhaps I am to blame for replacing the container last year and prolonging it, but I am glad I did.

When was that?

Over 5500 forum posts and less than 70 geocache finds... try spending less time posting and more time enjoying the sport. :)

Don't believe every number you see. Sometimes, they do lie.

That's right! Off-Topic forum posts do not count toward that number. If they did, you'd have a lot more than 5500!!

:)

When was that?

Over 5500 forum posts and less than 70 geocache finds... try spending less time posting and more time enjoying the sport. :)

Don't believe every number you see. Sometimes, they do lie.

That's right! Off-Topic forum posts do not count toward that number. If they did, you'd have a lot more than 5500!!

:)

Correct. He probably has 10,000 posts. Probably only 70 Geocache finds though. :ph34r:

I really think that the reasonable thing to do would be to not get in a spitting match over a DNF log. I mean really, what is the big deal? It certainly isn't something to get worked up over.

This whole thing reminds me of a beastie boys video. (21:45 in particular)

It's fascinating to watch the dark side of human behaviour that emerges when people feel hidden by the anonymity of the Internet.

It sure is. I've been fascinated ever since you started this thread.

pot-kettle-black-by-john-takai-dreamstime.jpg

Please show me which of my posts have been inflammatory and/or exposed my "dark side." I started the thread by asking a simple question, and several people were kind (and mature) enough to give me real answers. You jumped in with a totally pointless comment, to which I replied with courtesy and took ownership of my own childish behaviour in the original situation. You have also complained that by bringing the issue to this forum, I have made "a lot more people privy to the whole sordid affair." Who forced you to read all of the posts? Who forced you to post comments? If the topic of the thread is of no interest to you, why are you reading it?

Please show me which of my posts have been inflammatory and/or exposed my "dark side."

This seems pretty dark to me.

As I already said, the CO and I despise each other. The CO got mad because I suggested it was irresponsible to place a cache a million miles away that could not be maintained. I did not know about the "old" vacation cache rules. CO deleted my DNF, I reposted it, and on and on it went. Childish, rude, nasty emails have been exchanged. CO has posted false finds to my caches, accompanied by logs that say, "This cache was stupid and I hated it." Obviously, I deleted those. I am just trying to post a real DNF, not a false find. Other than our mutual hatred of each other, I cannot understand why the CO won't allow a simple DNF.

I started the thread by asking a simple question, and several people were kind (and mature) enough to give me real answers. You jumped in with a totally pointless comment, to which I replied with courtesy and took ownership of my own childish behaviour in the original situation. You have also complained that by bringing the issue to this forum, I have made "a lot more people privy to the whole sordid affair."

My comment was not pointless. You and the CO have been in a spitting match for a long time. It seems pointless to me to come here and ask for advice AFTER you have been knocking heads for so long with the OP CO. The damage is done at this point. The only thing you achieved by bringing this to the forums is to most likely get the cache archived. Of course that's not really so bad considering how poorly maintained it is.

Who forced you to read all of the posts? Who forced you to post comments? If the topic of the thread is of no interest to you, why are you reading it?

No one forced me to read this. However, I would never have known anything about the whole sordid affair if you had not brought it here. I'm not in the habit of scanning cache listing for juicy high school fights between CO and DNFers.

And I post here because it's a free country. You invited comments by posting.

And when did I say the topic of the thread is of no interest to me? I am LOVING this thread!

** edited OP to CO

Edited by Avenois

My comment was not pointless.

I hate to burst your bubble, Avenois, but all of your comments have been pointless. My original issue was resolved long ago, and it's safe to say that this thread has run its course. It's time to move on.

Good point!

I wonder why anyone would bring this to the forums AFTER all the childish behavior.

Had you come here in the beginning, we could have advised you to contact Groundspeak and ask them to reinstate your log and lock it. Then you would have clean hands and this nonsense would never have occurred.

But waiting until after a lot of animosity has built up and nasty emails have been exchanged doesn't make much sense. If I were Groundspeak I would slap both your hands and refuse to reinstate your log.

Reminds me of people who come on Judge Judy and air their grievances and it turns out both parties were acting like jerks. Normally people keep that kind of behavior to themselves; not air their dirty laundry in public.

Good point!

My comment was not pointless.

I hate to burst your bubble, Avenois, but all of your comments have been pointless. My original issue was resolved long ago, and it's safe to say that this thread has run its course. It's time to move on.

th_AnimatedGIF-CryingSmiley.gif

I wonder why anyone would bring this to the forums AFTER all the childish behavior.

Had you come here in the beginning, we could have advised you to contact Groundspeak and ask them to reinstate your log and lock it. Then you would have clean hands and this nonsense would never have occurred.

But waiting until after a lot of animosity has built up and nasty emails have been exchanged doesn't make much sense. If I were Groundspeak I would slap both your hands and refuse to reinstate your log.

Reminds me of people who come on Judge Judy and air their grievances and it turns out both parties were acting like jerks. Normally people keep that kind of behavior to themselves; not air their dirty laundry in public.

If I could turn back time, I would do things differently. Until I figure out how to do that, I am stuck with the consequences of my admittedly childish behaviour. I stated several posts back that I have turned it over to Groundspeak and they can deal with it as they see fit. If they reinstate my DNF, great. If not, I'm sure I will still have a full and happy life, and I will continue to go geocaching every chance I get.

For what its worth, I appreciate you admitting publically to the part that you played in this.

That's great and all. But by the time he brought it here there wasn't much any of us could do to help. All he accomplished was to make a lot more people privy to the whole sordid affair.

You have a point there.

If I could turn back time, I would do things differently. Until I figure out how to do that, I am stuck with the consequences of my admittedly childish behaviour. I stated several posts back that I have turned it over to Groundspeak and they can deal with it as they see fit. If they reinstate my DNF, great. If not, I'm sure I will still have a full and happy life, and I will continue to go geocaching every chance I get.

For what its worth, I appreciate you admitting publically to the part that you played in this.

That's great and all. But by the time he brought it here there wasn't much any of us could do to help. All he accomplished was to make a lot more people privy to the whole sordid affair.

You have a point there.

Do you get points for patting Avenois on the back?

It is no doubt a poster child. I will be saddened when it gets archived though (and I have no doubt that the recent arguing in the logs of the cache will only hasten its doom).

Perhaps I am to blame for replacing the container last year and prolonging it, but I am glad I did.

I can find myself on both sides of the fence on this one.

On one side, it would be a shame to archive the cache as it would likely mean that it might be the only opportunity for geocachers taking a Caribbean cruise to find a cache in Haiti. The next closest cache to the port looks to be about 8km away and has only had 2 finds since 2005, and from the logs it doesn't appear that either was from someone on a cruise. I know that I'm not the only one that likes to find caches in other countries, especially when there are so few available (currently 7 active caches in the entire country).

On the other side, it's a "vacation" cache, and although it's grandfathered, it *does* have an active CO. However, it doesn't have a maintenance plan other than a request to the community to maintain it. If it were up to me, GS should not allow a cache owner that is still active, from failing to maintain (or having a viable maintenance plan) on *any* cache that they own, even when it falls under the grandfather guideline.

You have a point there.

Do you get points for patting Avenois on the back?

Well, that wasn't my point, but... :lol:

On one side, it would be a shame to archive the cache as it would likely mean that it might be the only opportunity for geocachers taking a Caribbean cruise to find a cache in Haiti. The next closest cache to the port looks to be about 8km away and has only had 2 finds since 2005, and from the logs it doesn't appear that either was from someone on a cruise. I know that I'm not the only one that likes to find caches in other countries, especially when there are so few available (currently 7 active caches in the entire country).

On the other side, it's a "vacation" cache, and although it's grandfathered, it *does* have an active CO. However, it doesn't have a maintenance plan other than a request to the community to maintain it. If it were up to me, GS should not allow a cache owner that is still active, from failing to maintain (or having a viable maintenance plan) on *any* cache that they own, even when it falls under the grandfather guideline.

This might be a good spot for a virtual cache/waymark or an EarthCache. After my experience with this cache, I tend to go for that type when on vacation. The Labadee Beach cache really tested my family's tolerance of my geocaching. With virtuals and EarthCaches, they often don't even know I'm geocaching! They loved Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, and I got a smiley. Everyone was happy.

There is no possible way to get to the other caches unless you are an aid worker or have a private army. The cruise beach is quite securely cut off from the rest of the island.

Maybe the cache instructions should be to write your caching name on a dollar bill and drop it behind the rock.

It would make a great Virtual Cache, or even an Earth Cache (the volcanic limestone formations are really cool.

This might be a good spot for a virtual cache/waymark or an EarthCache. After my experience with this cache, I tend to go for that type when on vacation. The Labadee Beach cache really tested my family's tolerance of my geocaching. With virtuals and EarthCaches, they often don't even know I'm geocaching! They loved Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, and I got a smiley. Everyone was happy.

I have some very good friends that had some real problems with the Dunns River cache. Not quite as angsty as your experience, but angsty enough to turn them off to Earthcaches.

I have some very good friends that had some real problems with the Dunns River cache. Not quite as angsty as your experience, but angsty enough to turn them off to Earthcaches.

What happened?

I'm not going to bring that up here. Let's just say that it was once again, a disagreement between cache owner and cachers that had to be settled by Groundspeak.

What happened?

I'm not going to bring that up here. Let's just say that it was once again, a disagreement between cache owner and cachers that had to be settled by Groundspeak.

I thought you meant with the falls themselves. I've heard of a lot of bad injuries climbing them. Everyone is holding onto the next person, so even if you are surefooted, you may get dragged down by someone 5 people back in the line. My daughter and I went to the falls, but decided the climb was not worth it.

I do recall the cache requirements were ambiguous, asking the elevation of the parking lot. The lot was on a hill, and GPSr's are not real good at elevation (at least mine isnt). I made sure I logged a photo with my log.

I thought you meant with the falls themselves. I've heard of a lot of bad injuries climbing them. Everyone is holding onto the next person, so even if you are surefooted, you may get dragged down by someone 5 people back in the line. My daughter and I went to the falls, but decided the climb was not worth it.

I do recall the cache requirements were ambiguous, asking the elevation of the parking lot. The lot was on a hill, and GPSr's are not real good at elevation (at least mine isnt). I made sure I logged a photo with my log.

We walked up the falls, but I was not at all comfortable. When we came to the first "escape" gate, I told my children we could get out - turned out they were loving it, so we did the whole thing. I was glad when we got to the top, and I don't think I would ever do it again. I sent my answers to the CO and never heard anything back, so I logged the find and that was that.

Close your eyes for a minute. Feel the warm tropical sun on your skin, the ocean breeze, the sound of the surf, the sea birds crying... so peaceful and beautiful.

Now, change your mind to this futile attempt to log the fact that you were unable to find this cache. Feel the teeth clenching, the blood pressure rising, the muscles tightening up?

Is this giving you a nice, warm comfy feeling and adding to the wonderful memories of your trip? Somehow, I doubt it. Simply dropping the issue would be better for every aspect of your mental health and well-being.

I would have appealed the deletion without having posted my angst here for everyone to see.

I would have appealed the deletion without having posted my angst here for everyone to see.

Good for you - thanks for sharing. My angst is posted here for everyone WHO CHOOSES TO READ THE POSTS. No one is forcing you to read or respond. The original situation has been resolved and it's time for everyone to move on.

Good for you - thanks for sharing. My angst is posted here for everyone WHO CHOOSES TO READ THE POSTS. No one is forcing you to read or respond. The original situation has been resolved and it's time for everyone to move on.

But you don't get to decide who does or does not post. Once you start a thread like this it's open for anyone to comment. And just because someone questions your airing of your dirty laundry in public it doesn't mean we don't enjoy gawking at your pink underwear on the line.

But you don't get to decide who does or does not post. Once you start a thread like this it's open for anyone to comment. And just because someone questions your airing of your dirty laundry in public it doesn't mean we don't enjoy gawking at your pink underwear on the line.

Although I'm flattered by your interest in my thread, you'll have to carry on without me. I appreciate the real advice I got, but now that the idiots are crawling out of the woodwork, it's time to get back to my real life. Happy caching!

Although I'm flattered by your interest in my thread, you'll have to carry on without me. I appreciate the real advice I got, but now that the idiots are crawling out of the woodwork, it's time to get back to my real life. Happy caching!

Tell you what, I'll offer you 2 pieces of good advice and I won't even charge you for it.

1. Name calling is against forum rules.

2. If you want this thread to end, hit the report button and make a formal request.

Close your eyes for a minute. Feel the warm tropical sun on your skin, the ocean breeze, the sound of the surf, the sea birds crying... so peaceful and beautiful.

Now, change your mind to this futile attempt to log the fact that you were unable to find this cache. Feel the teeth clenching, the blood pressure rising, the muscles tightening up?

Is this giving you a nice, warm comfy feeling and adding to the wonderful memories of your trip? Somehow, I doubt it. Simply dropping the issue would be better for every aspect of your mental health and well-being.

And deny us the geo soap opera? Now where's the fun in that?

Hey, that was pretty pointless.

:laughing:

Good point.

Good point.

27 points to knowschad for

backpat.jpg

Tell you what, I'll offer you 2 pieces of good advice and I won't even charge you for it.

2. If you want this thread to end, hit the report button and make a formal request.

What are you, five? You'd think we were in kindergarten and I called you a pee-pee head!

What are you, five? You'd think we were in kindergarten and I called you a pee-pee head!

Hey, I didn't report you for it. Just thought you were looking for good advice.

And I guess we get to carry on WITH you. Thanks for sticking it out. This thread is so much more interesting with you in it.

And I guess we get to carry on WITH you. Thanks for sticking it out. This thread is so much more interesting with you in it.

Well, that's certainly true. Sadly though, I just don't have as much time to spend here as the rest of you. I'll check in now and then to see if anything interesting is happening.