What is Some Good Geocaching Swag?

Some things I've left in caches:

fishing lures (in package of course)

collectible or foreign coins

boxes of crayons or colored chalk (be careful with crayons in the summer)

Fresh AA batteries

cheap jewelry

water colors

Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars

small tools

eyeglass repair kits

emergency rain ponchos

compasses

carabiners

individual packs of insect repellent wipes

individual packs of Handi Wipes

small US flags and US flag pins

buttons, decals and stickers.

DVDs

CDs

MP3 players

watches

toy figurines

Money. I always like finding money. :anitongue:

I love finding dollars! I leave that as am FTF too.

I was once caching and finding great caches with cool swag items, at least IMO. I didn't have my swag bag with me but I did have a wallet full of $1 U.S. bills. That caching day cost me a few dollars, but I loved reading the logs of the next cachers who thanked me for leaving the money.

I like to leave things that I would enjoy finding myself. When I place a new cache I like to stock it with brand new items that are still in their packaging. You don't have to spend a lot of money to load up a cache with good stuff either. You'd be surprised at how many things you can get for less than $1 that aren't complete junk.

I like to think about the area where my cache will be and who my target audience will be for that particular cache and then select items that are most appropriate for the area. For example, if you think your cache will be found mostly by adults, place items that an adult would like but is appropriate for all ages. If you think lots of kids will visit (with parents of course)place things kids would like but keep a few tings that adults might like too.

I have a 5/5 cache that requires a significant boat ride, then rock climbing a 125' cliff and finally rappelling to a cave on the face of the cliff. I think finders would feel slapped in the face if they went to all that effort and found a box of broken McD. toys, mardi gras beads, a couple of rocks, a few scraps of soggy paper and a friendship bracelet sized for a toddler. On that cache I felt finders would appreciate things like camping and hiking gear so that's the type of stuff I left. By the same token, if I had a cache that I thought lots of children would end up at, I think they would feel jiped if there were no toys.

So, if I were placing one along a popular hiking trail I might leave things like a trail map to one of my other favorite hiking spots, flashlights, sun screen and insect repellent wipes, compass, carabiner, etc. If I were placing in a small city park that has a playground, I would include mostly things that kids would like such as bouncy balls, jacks, old maid or Uno card games, toy cars, etc. If it's going in an area that will likely be found by all ages, I try to include at least one item for kids, teen and adults.

Here are a few caches that I put together recently that might give you some ideas.

101_3591.jpg

101_3625.jpg

102_3590.jpg

edit to fix links

Edited by Mushroom finder

Fresh AA batteries

cheap jewelry

water colors

small tools

eyeglass repair kits

emergency rain ponchos

compasses

carabiners

DVDs

CDs

MP3 players

watches

toy figurines

Really? Do you put those really cheap MP3 players or something as expensive as an ipod/zune?

To the OP: I usually like to leave dice. Having a family game night an missing a die?

You seem to have much nicer swag in the caches in the USA :o . Here in NZ, most contain nothing or one tiny plastic dinosaur :(. I've been trading up by adding keyrings, and $1/$2-shop mini toys, bouncy balls, and so on. I have never seen anything worth more than NZ$3 (that was about US$2 a month ago but is US$3 now) in one of the caches.

After christmas I bought a bunch of holiday ornaments on deep discount to put in caches. the ones that weren't glass by the way. Last year through the holidays I looked at the sale items for potential things to put in caches. I had some high hopes for halloween to have good swag but it wasn't to be here.

Some swag purchasing is just creative thinking. I bought some school stuff last year too. I order lanyards in bulk which is cheaper and leave them. Same with my rubber duckies. Get them in bulk as well.

WOW I would love to find some fishing lures!

One of my daughters and my favorites are buttons! We have had some custom made with our user name WarNinjas on them and then general geocaching ones. We like them because when we find one we add it to our backpack! We also keep a binder with our history of important logs and info so stickers are cool! We add the stickers to the log book.

We were the FTF a new cache and it came with a nice led flashlight and a steak (rubber Dog one) for the FTF! It is a great one to keep in the backpack for geocaching so that was cool.

-WarNinjas

Fresh AA batteries

cheap jewelry

water colors

small tools

eyeglass repair kits

emergency rain ponchos

compasses

carabiners

DVDs

CDs

MP3 players

watches

toy figurines

Really? Do you put those really cheap MP3 players or something as expensive as an ipod/zune?

Cheapies of course. I found Sansas on Woot and they came out to about $4 each with shipping on a "two for Tuesday". So I bought as many as I could (which I think was 6).

I've found Woot to be a good source for swag. Recently bought a bunch of watches for swag and previously picked up some cheap digital cameras to put in caches.

Edited by briansnat

I purchased a lot of those packages of birthday trinkets, such as packages of kids sunglasses, sport themed whistles on a string, (thinking of what mom and dads day is going to be like after the child finds a whistle} lol. Lately I bought several boxes of camouflag bandaids, safari bandaids, sponge bob bandaids, superman bandaids, etc and been leaving a few in each pill bottle cache. I know a few times I sure could have used a bandaid while out caching. I sometimes leave Lens wipes for the glasses that get all messed up and need cleaned. I have left packages of those animals and trucks capsules that you put into water and they grow into big sponges. I used the Dollar Stores alot. LOL Sometimes when I see one of those gumball machines that have those plastic containers with helmets, rings, etc. I stock up on those. As my hiking abilities are limited I do not find lots of the ammo caches.

I feel bad when the cache is empty and I don't have a lot to put into it for the kids. That's the important group isn't it?

I have left a couple of car chargers for cell phones when I replace my phone as they never fit the next one. One guy was thrilled to death as he was on vacation and forgot his car charger and it worked with his phone. Glad I could help.

We had been leaving rubber ducks bought by the 100's, but now we've been making some keychains, I guess you could call them. We add beads and a silver duck charm. I think they are costing us about 75 cents each to make. We package them in those little baggies with an insert with our group name and each individual name.

Our 5 year old granddaughter is the usual swag taker. She loves plastic horses, colorful rocks and of course coins of any denomination. :lol:

You seem to have much nicer swag in the caches in the USA :o . Here in NZ, most contain nothing or one tiny plastic dinosaur :(. I've been trading up by adding keyrings, and $1/$2-shop mini toys, bouncy balls, and so on. I have never seen anything worth more than NZ$3 (that was about US$2 a month ago but is US$3 now) in one of the caches.

Yet there are people who would LOVE to get that tiny plastic dinosaur!

It's much easier to say what is NOT good swag, but considering the many previous threads describing that side of the equation, I'll just say:

Trade in stuff that you wouldn't mind finding in a cache you just opened.

It doesn't need to be a Rolex watch, but that would be nice! :lol:

I think fishing gear is great! Not sure about the hooks with the kids though but I would hope there are parents around and hope they would be in a package of some sort to keep the hooks covered. I am a avid fisherman so that is why I would like to find it and then use it to catch a fish so I could post a pic on the cache thread. I have not found any yet but when I do I will make a point to catch a fish with the one found! I think the idea of keeping the swag fun but cheep is a good Idea. If we were all to start trading out valuable items I would see people joining to just go muggle them to see what they could get instead of just doing this for the fun. The occasional nice item is great though! I know I have cool stuff laying around the house that someone would be thrilled to find and I don't really have a use for anymore. I'm sure if someone got into it to muggle stuff after a few finds of just bottle caps and bright colored pebbles would discourage them. :laughing:

-WarNinjas

Haven't really found much of anything good (at least for me) in the caches I've done, but there is one thing I saw recently that I think would make a good item for geocaches: Mini compasses. The ones I've been looking at can be bought on Amazon and you can get 24 for $5.33. I would probably have to keep one for myself. :)

• Upvote 1

We have collected LOTS of a wide variety of local / native wildflower seed over time. Growing rare or unusual plants is my wife's business.

I thought it may be nice to leave small packets of these seeds with a label showing what plant they're from and maybe some germination information. Much of this seed is not much larger than grains of sand and could even be left in micros.

We have collected LOTS of a wide variety of local / native wildflower seed over time. Growing rare or unusual plants is my wife's business.

I thought it may be nice to leave small packets of these seeds with a label showing what plant they're from and maybe some germination information. Much of this seed is not much larger than grains of sand and could even be left in micros.

~ That is a great idea, I'm going to steal this if thats ok :D

I love to find the homemade items. Doesn't really matter what it is, just as long as it is different and/or unique. I have made some to add to caches and they seem to go over pretty well (I am not generally the crafty type, lol.)

For the kids, I gave them each their own geocaching swag bags. They also each made the own personal swag. We went and got a variety of items so that they would each be able to trade up. We found that this has worked pretty well so far. Both boys have also used caches to "donate" toys that were still in great shape, but they no longer wanted. My older son was really into Pokemon for a while and it seemed that every cache we came to had these cards in it, so he was happy.

While reading this thread, I think that the cacher who said that there needs to be a variety and that the caches need to keep in mind who is probably going to find it got it right.

Honestly, I really don't care what is in the cache, I am in it for the smiley :anibad: but finding something different and cool does make me happy lol. It also keeps my kids going on to the next one!

I have been looking on Pinterest and I have found so many unique handmade items that are really interesting, but are able to be made in bunches and aren't over the top expensive. Also, shopping after a holiday (Easter, Christmas, Halloween) can get you some great swag ideas without breaking the bank.

Hey, I have a blog that is partilly Geocaching-Related, and I have idea for a post about Good Swag.

So, Please post a response on what some good swag is.

Thanks!

~Tdeathgem

(the name of the blog is swagandstuff.blogspot.com, if you wanted to know)

This time of the year, here in Canada, I start to leave packets of hand warmers.

On a facebook page I mentioned that I did not like finding broken toys or a single lego and a "lady" bitched at me for 3 days about that fact that the person was probably poor and I was mean. I had to block her. I do not want broken toys and a single lego is just dumb I put in things that I think are cute or fun or even useful. So if you are supposed to put something in that is of equal or more in value, what did they take to leave a broken soldier? :sad:

On a facebook page I mentioned that I did not like finding broken toys or a single lego
I don't think most broken toys are worth much, although I've seen kids push broken toy cars around on the floor the same way they pushed unbroken toy cars around.

But a 2x4 Lego block costs 30¢ if you buy it individually, and probably costs about 10¢ when bought as part of a set. That seems in line with dollar-store toys that are sold in multi-packs.

The coolest things I hope to find when I open a cache are trackables, coins (normal, foreign or GC) or signature items.

Coins are by far my favourite thing, I just love the different designs and the feel of them.

Usually when setting up caches or trading into caches, I leave things such as keyrings, £1 shop swag (bouncy balls, little miniature toy mazes, bags of marbles, novelty pencil erasers).

I also set up a cache with some slightly better swag in it, a Watch, Hand made and hand painted opera style clay mask, and a few other things. Most of which are still there despite quite a few finds.

I think it proves that a large majority of people aren't as bothered about the swag, or at least in my area. The fun is all in the find.

WOW I would love to find some fishing lures!

One of my daughters and my favorites are buttons! We have had some custom made with our user name WarNinjas on them and then general geocaching ones. We like them because when we find one we add it to our backpack! We also keep a binder with our history of important logs and info so stickers are cool! We add the stickers to the log book.

We were the FTF a new cache and it came with a nice led flashlight and a steak (rubber Dog one) for the FTF! It is a great one to keep in the backpack for geocaching so that was cool.

-WarNinjas

So what's great to keep in the backpack for geocaching? The LED flashlight, or the rubber dog steak??? :lol:

Edited by sammymom3

I have been leaving Buckeyes in caches outside of Ohio, an educational nugget from the Buckeye state. Also have been leaving Lucky Stones that we collect on the beaches of Lake Erie. Both are kind of a "What The?" for people not in the know.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge. I had to look up Lucky Stones from Lake Erie. Very cool! I would love to find one!

We have been geocaching a long, long time; and mostly stopped collecting swag years ago. BUT, I still like to carry stuff for kids to put in caches that they're likely to find. As for the value of stuff, etiquette says trade even or trade up; clearly not everyone follows that; because I have seen some crummy things. Things I hate to see: single o-ring bracelets, single hair ties, (put several in a little Ziploc and it might be a different story, but let's not be too cheap here); single erasers that are not in a package and are not novel; obviously used pencils or pens (that are not part of the logging book/pencil); single crayons; dirty stuff, obviously used.... If you are going to buy multi-packs of things, re-package them. Put them in a small Ziploc bag! Don't clean out your junk drawer and dump it in a cache that someone took some time to assemble. If you don't want it, neither will they! And if you encounter a cache filled with junk, don't complain. Nothing says you have to trade if you don't feel the goods are up to your standards. Maybe be generous, and add a few nice things for the next cacher. Some of the more creative swag items: a mini-cache "baby" with a small container, mini log, and so on; homemade buttons/magnets; keychains; tennis balls (our Clancy used to LOVE that, and I suspect other geo-dogs appreciate the, too); decks of cards; mini flashlights; homemade jewelry and zipper pulls (nice stuff); glow sticks; small puzzles; individually packaged wipes, insect repellants; pocket first aid kits; little figurines and animals; little cars; small packages of crayons; packaged stickers (not loose in the cache--in the original package or a Ziploc); carabiners; gently used books; and anything new-in the package . Whatever you do, DO NOT leave food items--it invites critters; and who is really going to eat something from a cache? As for the comment about the 5/5 cache; we do a lot of 5/5s, and the FTF prize is often a scratch lottery ticket; with decent swag. While we agree that good swag is nice in the 5/5, we rarely take any (except for FTF stuff), as the find itself is the prize.