scan codes

I did a caching run through Bridgeport, Ohio last weekend. At 2 traditional caches I encountered something I had never seen before. Instead of a container, I found one of those square scan codes they sometimes publish in the newspaper to provide product information. Both were listed as traditionals. I have no equipment to scan and I could not locate a container, so I did not log a find. Is this a new development in the sporet that I haven't caught up with? I thought a physical log sheet was still required.

I live a few towns over from Bridgeport. They're most likely Munzees.

If the caches had no log book to sign, it sounds like the CO's problem, not yours. It's not a popular opinion, but if I were you, and there really was no log book, I'd log the finds.

If these are listed as traditionals and not multis or puzzles then it truly is the CO's problem as these caches should not have ever been published. if there is no log book for these caches then sounds like the best option is a needs archived log or a note to the reviewer so he can disable them until they meet the guidelines.

...and using the scan code could cause damage to your phone...

Good point that a lot of folks are just waking up to!

Smartphones are small computers. Just like other computers there are folks out there looking to hack and crack them, to steal personal info, make fraudulent charges, or just because they can.

Use the same precautions before scanning a QR Code that you would use when opening links on any other computer. Protect your phone with antivirus and malware protection just as you would any computer.

I thought Munzee caches where listed on a different site. I suppose that a geocache could also contain a QR code so one could log a find on both sites, but without a logbook, it wouldn't be a geocache. Even multi's and puzzles eventually end in a logbook to sign.

A geocacher in Central Ohio, who is also a friend of mine, leaves a personal, laminated, QR Code in every cache she finds as a signature item. When scanned, the result is simply her caching name. Any chance this, or something similar from another cacher, is what you found?

If it is just a cacher's signature item, what you found were apparently caches in need of maintenance. If it was intended somehow to be the "cache", I seriously doubt it would meet the guidelines (no log to sign, for one thing). I would never be able to log such a cache, simply because I don't have a way to scan those things in the field and don't intend to buy a smart phone just to be able to scan them.

--Larry

I suppose I really need to start paying attention to the word munzee so I know what folks are talking about. Not familiar with this term.

Okay, now I am. There are a whopping 2 within 10 miles of my house and I live in the Seattle general area, thus, not a major player yet.

Personally, I feel I waste enough time geocaching so I would hate to add another separate website layer, but that is just me.

Edited by lamoracke

My guess is someone other than the cache owner(s) placed a Munzee at the site of a traditional cache. I suspect that its placement had nothing to do with the fact that you could not locate the cache. Finding a QR decal is not an indication that a cache is in need of being maintained or archived, unless you can demonstrate that the cache owner replaced a traditional with a decal. To misquote Freud, "Sometimes a DNF is just a DNF".

...and using the scan code could cause damage to your phone...

Good point that a lot of folks are just waking up to!

Smartphones are small computers. Just like other computers there are folks out there looking to hack and crack them, to steal personal info, make fraudulent charges, or just because they can.

Use the same precautions before scanning a QR Code that you would use when opening links on any other computer. Protect your phone with antivirus and malware protection just as you would any computer.

I haven't heard of that happening yet but can see how QR codes could be used for a phishing scam. Since you can't see the URL until you've decoded the QR code and it's sent to your browser. It's said that yet another useful technology because some jerks see it as means to do something nefarious.

I've been bitten several times by Google, when I've clicked on a search result link and been redirected to some site other than the one it appeared it was going to.

...I haven't heard of that happening yet but can see how QR codes could be used for a phishing scam. Since you can't see the URL until you've decoded the QR code and it's sent to your browser. It's said that yet another useful technology because some jerks see it as means to do something nefarious...

AVG warning article:

http://www.qrcodepress.com/avg-warns-that-qr-codes-are-not-as-risk-free-as-they-appear-to-be/852724/

Cyveillance article:

http://www.cyveillanceblog.com/malware/qr-codes-a-recipe-for-a-mobile-malware-tsunami

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I haven't heard of that happening yet but can see how QR codes could be used for a phishing scam. Since you can't see the URL until you've decoded the QR code and it's sent to your browser. It's said that yet another useful technology because some jerks see it as means to do something nefarious.

Don't know about other platforms and software, but on my Android phone, using Barcode Scanner, it displays the URL and you have to press a button before it goes there.

Don't know about other platforms and software, but on my Android phone, using Barcode Scanner, it displays the URL and you have to press a button before it goes there.

Interesting. The AT&T app that came on my Android Motorola Atrix 4G pops to the site as soon as you scan a code. I'll have to look, maybe there's a setting which allows you to see the link and verify that you want to go there...that would make sense.

Same for Red Laser on iOS.

Interesting. The AT&T app that came on my Android Motorola Atrix 4G pops to the site as soon as you scan a code.

Not good!

I'll have to look, maybe there's a setting which allows you to see the link and verify that you want to go there...that would make sense.

Or install Barcode Scanner and use that. I don't think it even has the option to go directly to the site immediately.

...I haven't heard of that happening yet but can see how QR codes could be used for a phishing scam. Since you can't see the URL until you've decoded the QR code and it's sent to your browser. It's said that yet another useful technology because some jerks see it as means to do something nefarious...

AVG warning article:

http://www.qrcodepress.com/avg-warns-that-qr-codes-are-not-as-risk-free-as-they-appear-to-be/852724/

Cyveillance article:

http://www.cyveillanceblog.com/malware/qr-codes-a-recipe-for-a-mobile-malware-tsunami

I have a couple test Munzee's out, and one is 250' from a listed cache. Thus far no issues, not anyone relly looking either, I just did it to test them out solo, I like the concept, easily deployed, and not going to bring out a bomb squad for sure. I intentionally placed it 250' in a GR just to see what wouold happen when close to a Geocache.

Well the "playground is getting crowded, I mean you have Geocaching (Duh!), Terracache, Munzee, Letterbox, Open cache,GPS Games, geokrety, and Navicache (If they exist, not sure been a while), so yep, sure there are many more, point is confusion is bound to happen, so just get familiarized with as many of these GPS hunting sites as one can.

However on to my quotes: I agree with my fist quote,with the need for safety, like they say, only D/L from known trusted sources, same on my AT&T IP4,I only scan a QR, if I know the source, and the second quote, I have tried a few QR app's "i-nigma" seems to be my favorite, it asks you if you want to open the link. I never seen the other SP's but the IP4 did not come with an automatic QR reader.

K happy hunting!

Ditto, and I can use an antivirus app to check the link before I open it

<3 my android phone.

To the OP, keep us posted on what the CO has to say? I'm curious.

Edited by dorqie

I've never had the urge to use those things. The only bar codes I usually scan are through the amazon app, when I'm shopping in retail stores and I'm looking to make a wish list addition.

I'll have to look up munzees, never heard of it. No interest in scanning qr codes.

Ditto, and I can use an antivirus app to check the link before I open it

<3 my android phone.

To the OP, keep us posted on what the CO has to say? I'm curious.

I just encountered Microsoft tags; apparently Barcode Reader doesn't do them, and the Microsoft Tag Reader app for Android does push the link direct to the browser without first asking the user. So I was going to delete it, but maybe I just need the antivirus app you alluded to? What is it?

I haven't heard of that happening yet but can see how QR codes could be used for a phishing scam. Since you can't see the URL until you've decoded the QR code and it's sent to your browser.

Use a QR scanner that shows you the data and then asks you what to do with it (instead of acting automatically), like QR Droid (for Android).

I just encountered Microsoft tags; apparently Barcode Reader doesn't do them, and the Microsoft Tag Reader app for Android does push the link direct to the browser without first asking the user. So I was going to delete it, but maybe I just need the antivirus app you alluded to? What is it?

Microsoft tags encode only a URL (or maybe it's an ID, I'm not sure which). Nothing else. You need to then connect to MS's tags site to get the information.

QR codes can store any data, so you don't need a connection to another website. Several caches in my area use QR codes to encode coords & a hint, no data connection required to retrieve the data they've stored.

The Cache in Bridgeport everyone is talking about is The Smith Brothers Cache. The Cache name is Rollin in West Wheeling (GC1t73q). As the cache owners we placed a physical cache listed under a traditional hide. The last time we checked the cache it was still a film canister at the bottom of the sign. We do not place any Munzee hides or are at any way involved with Munzee. Our best guess is someone near that area has placed a Munzee near our cache site.

Thanks,

The Smith Brothers

If you ever see a QR code and want to find out what is in it without risking a virus or something, you could just take a picture of it and use PC decoding software to decode it and see the text.

Here is an online QR Code Decoder:

http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

I've seen a QR Code used on a cache web page as part of a puzzle cache before, so it's possible that online decoder might be something to remember. :)

Oh, and the reader I have on my Windows Mobile 6.1 smartphone will ask me if I want to open a URL and show at least part of it. (For stuff that isn't a URL it will display the text.)