Why is this an issue?

OK, well, I recently hid a new multicache, and I got up this morning to find that it had been disabled with the note that two of my stages were to close to another cache (a traditional). But I did my own search, and all the stages of my cache were over 200m away from the other cache in question. Am I missing something, or is this a mistake on the reviewer's part?

From the cache page it not a proximity issue it is an issue with hiding it on a Canada Post mailbox.

It was brought to my attention that part of this cache is hidden on a Canada Post mailbox. Permission is needed to place caches on Canadian Postal Boxes, as it is illegal to tamper with mail or mailboxes. Please see the forums: (visit link) At this time I am archiving. If you have permission, please contact me via my profile and I will enable this cache again.

OK, well, I recently hid a new multicache, and I got up this morning to find that it had been disabled with the note that two of my stages were to close to another cache (a traditional). But I did my own search, and all the stages of my cache were over 200m away from the other cache in question. Am I missing something, or is this a mistake on the reviewer's part?

It does sound like it's possible there's a glitch somewhere - perhaps a mistake by you or the reviewer regarding the coords, the waypoint of the caches in question, who knows. Anything can happen and usually does.

Can you do me a favor? Can you send me the waypoint number that the reviewer indicated in his/her note to you? And can you copy and paste the waypoint coordinates you have entered into the system (as opposed to retyping them, in case it's a typo somewhere this will make it easier for me to figure that out). Just click the "Waypoints" link in the box on the top right of your cache page (there should be an icon of a flag next to it) and from the following page, just copy and paste me everything between "WAYPOINT COLLECTION" and "ADD A NEW WAYPOINT". You can PM me or send it to me via my geocaching.com profile contact info if you'd rather not post the data in the forums.

I suspect we'll be able to figure this out one way or another.

ETA - Oh, I didn't see the post from NOSNOW until after I had posted. Interesting, yes, it's almost assuredly because of the post box issue. You can probably get this cache unarchived by moving it off of the boxes. Are you sure that the reviewer mentioned a Traditional cache nearby?

Edited by addisonbr

From the cache page it not a proximity issue it is an issue with hiding it on a Canada Post mailbox.

It was brought to my attention that part of this cache is hidden on a Canada Post mailbox. Permission is needed to place caches on Canadian Postal Boxes, as it is illegal to tamper with mail or mailboxes. Please see the forums: (visit link) At this time I am archiving. If you have permission, please contact me via my profile and I will enable this cache again.

That can't be the same cache as the OP is talking about, as that cache was archived by the reviewer way back on May 5th.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0e3fd087-c788-4abc-953b-e6346abaa60e

I'm assuming the OP is talking about a cache that isn't being published as yet because of the proximity issues.

Edited by Pup Patrol

That is not the cache in question. In case you did not read properly. My cache is UNPUBLISHED not archived.

It does sound like it's possible there's a glitch somewhere - perhaps a mistake by you or the reviewer regarding the coords, the waypoint of the caches in question, who knows. Anything can happen and usually does.

Can you do me a favor? Can you send me the waypoint number that the reviewer indicated in his/her note to you? And can you copy and paste the waypoint coordinates you have entered into the system (as opposed to retyping them, in case it's a typo somewhere this will make it easier for me to figure that out). Just click the "Waypoints" link in the box on the top right of your cache page (there should be an icon of a flag next to it) and from the following page, just copy and paste me everything between "WAYPOINT COLLECTION" and "ADD A NEW WAYPOINT". You can PM me or send it to me via my geocaching.com profile contact info if you'd rather not post the date in the forums.

ETA - Oh, I didn't see the post from NOSNOW until after I had posted. Interesting, yes, it's almost assuredly because of the post box issue. You can probably get this cache unarchived by moving it off of the boxes. Are you sure that the reviewer mentioned a Traditional cache nearby?

This is the cache that is to close: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC10099

These are the waypoints:

Waypoint Collection

Add a New Waypoint

For listing: [Multi-cache] Coronation Park Cache (Not Published)

[[Click to Check/Uncheck all Items]] Prefix Lookup Name Coordinate

hidden Final Location FN FINAL GC318ZD Final (Final Location) N 43° 24.454 W 079° 41.576 Edit Map

Note:

hidden Stages of a Multicache S1 STAGE1 GC318ZD Stage 1 (Stages of a Multicache) N 43° 24.404 W 079° 41.530 Edit Map

Note:

hidden Stages of a Multicache S2 STAGE2 GC318ZD Stage 2 (Stages of a Multicache) N 43° 24.374 W 079° 41.558 Edit Map

Note:

hidden Stages of a Multicache S3 STAGE3 GC318ZD Stage 3 (Stages of a Multicache) N 43° 24.463 W 079° 41.646 Edit Map

Note:

I suspect the nearby cache is a Multi or a Puzzle, like yours. All the Stages and Final on your Listing will be checked against all Stages and Finals of nearby Multi's/Puzzles. If there's any conflict between any one of these elements, it's unlikely that your Listing will get Published.

Best of luck all the same :)

I don't think you can tell from coordinates whether it is on a mailbox. Based on the reviewers note what most likely happened was someone emailed him that it was and then action was taken.

does seem interesting that the op would say something different than the reason given by the reviewer

READ!!! THAT CACHE WAS ARCHIVED IN MAY. THE CACHE THAT IS TO CLOSE TO ANOTHER ONE IS UNPUBLISHED!!!

Can you do me a favor? Can you send me the waypoint number that the reviewer indicated in his/her note to you? And can you copy and paste the waypoint coordinates you have entered into the system (as opposed to retyping them, in case it's a typo somewhere this will make it easier for me to figure that out). Just click the "Waypoints" link in the box on the top right of your cache page (there should be an icon of a flag next to it) and from the following page, just copy and paste me everything between "WAYPOINT COLLECTION" and "ADD A NEW WAYPOINT". You can PM me or send it to me via my geocaching.com profile contact info if you'd rather not post the date in the forums.

The post box cache is not the one I am discussing.

OK, well, I recently hid a new multicache, and I got up this morning to find that it had been disabled with the note that two of my stages were to close to another cache (a traditional).

This a multi-cache, not a traditional as you said in the OP.

It appears that several stages of your multi-cache are too close to the final of the Polar Bear Dip cache.

Yup, this happened to me too. I placed a traditional cache after searching if there were any other caches nearby. None showed. However, the reviewer informed me that the final to a puzzle was nearby and I couldn't place my cache there.

Are you sure it wasn't a puzzle, mystery or stage of a multi that your cache is too near?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I don't think you can tell from coordinates whether it is on a mailbox. Based on the reviewers note what most likely happened was someone emailed him that it was and then action was taken.

does seem interesting that the op would say something different than the reason given by the reviewer

READ!!! THAT CACHE WAS ARCHIVED IN MAY. THE CACHE THAT IS TO CLOSE TO ANOTHER ONE IS UNPUBLISHED!!!

Easy there. People are just trying to help. Nobody took that tone with you when you said that your cache was too close to a Traditional, when the cache page for GC10099 is clearly identified as a Multi. Give people who are trying to help benefit of the doubt, and perhaps a reply with the caps lock off.

This is the cache that is to close: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC10099

These are the waypoints:

S1 STAGE1 GC318ZD Stage 1

S2 STAGE2 GC318ZD Stage 2

S3 STAGE3 GC318ZD Stage 3

Ah, yes, it seems to me that the issue is that a couple of your stages are probably too close to the hidden final container for the Multi GC10099. In these situations you could either go out and solve the clues to find that cache (you'll need to get some information off of some signs and plaques in the park), or you can also simply contact the other CO and tell him/her you're running into some problems placing your own Multi and see if (s)he wouldn't mind helping you out with the final coords so that you can safely avoid it. I've had success with that method in the past - as long as the tone of the email is friendly you should have a pretty good shot with that.

Good luck.

Walt's Hunting's response was posted two minutes after you posted yours stating that you weren't referring to the mailbox. He was probably composing his effort to help you out while your reply was posted. That is not a good way to ask for help.

I see your frustration and folks are genuinely trying to help you. But with the limited information you have initially given are you really surprised that we are confused.

If the last few posts were also incorrect in their assumptions, you may want to post the the coords of the cache you are actually speaking of. If not, then its going to be a game of guess the cache.

Keep calm, carry on.

For listing: [Multi-cache] Coronation Park Cache (Not Published) GC318ZD Final (Final Location) N 43° 24.454 W 079° 41.576

On a positive note, we no longer need to muddle through the whole multi.

At least until the OP moves it, we can just bee line right to the final. :ph34r:

I do believe that those are the coords of the OP's cache, which won't be published due to proximity issues.

Not sure why anyone would ask to have coords posted on the public forums, any way. An email or private message would be more appropriate.

No matter, the reviewer has already dealt with this matter, no? Unless something changes drastically somewhere, those coords are moot.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Some folks have been known to fish for coordinates by submitting bogus cache listings for the purpose of narrowing down ground zero for a difficult puzzle. Not that you've done that, by any means, but interesting, nonetheless.

That method is extremely unreliable, time consuming and frustrating. I have done caches that use the same principal. Plus I think reviewers would catch on to what you were doing.

Either way, finding the final to a 1* multi should be easy enough on the ground.

I think you need to move the final away from the Canada Post mailbox in order for this one to be unarchived. :antenna:

Lighten up Francis-nowhere in your OP does it say that your cache is unpublished. Just that you hid a new one and woke up to find it was disabled. Perhaps some misread your post and read it as if your cache had been published and then disabled/archived?

You have already been told by several who can see behind the curtain that your intermediate stages are too close to the hidden intermediate/final stages of the other cache.

So take a deep breath, go out and move yours, and get it published. Hurry before Clan Riffster gets there! :D

Am I missing something or would cutting straight to the final coordinates only save someone about 1/3 of a mile of walking through a park? I'm not sure why it's so exciting... it reminds me of free ice cream day at Ben & Jerry's, when the line stretches around the block with people waiting an hour to save like $2.

Am I missing something or would cutting straight to the final coordinates only save someone about 1/3 of a mile of walking through a park? I'm not sure why it's so exciting... it reminds me of free ice cream day at Ben & Jerry's, when the line stretches around the block with people waiting an hour to save like $2.

lots of people enjoy multi's that take you snaking through a park (myself included)

If you just want to go the fastest route to the final, a traditional might serve the purpose better.

Grrr I am so sorry, and stupid. I did not realize that was a multi. When searching for nearby caches, I just checked the distance, and not the cache TYPE... Lesson learned.

No worries.

You're not stupid. It happens all the time. Lots of people do that. Easy to miss.

Glad we could help.

Let us know when you get it published. :)

Grrr I am so sorry, and stupid. I did not realize that was a multi. When searching for nearby caches, I just checked the distance, and not the cache TYPE... Lesson learned.

{Paul Harvey voice-over}

...and THAT is the rest of the story.

{/Paul Harvey voice-over}

No worries, you aren't stupid, only human.

Humans make mistakes all the time.

It's so easy even I was able to do it once.

The difficult thing is to learn from your mistakes, and the truly human thing is to be able to learn from the mistakes of others.

No biggie, we all make mistakes. Hey, did you ever get the axe to get that cache out? (thread from the Canada forum).

Glad this came up, was thinking of doing some mailbox caches, didn't realize it was frowned upon. :unsure:

No biggie, we all make mistakes. Hey, did you ever get the axe to get that cache out? (thread from the Canada forum).

Nope, I never got the axe. Another geocacher in my area had the idea of using a loooooong pole...

Nope, I never got the axe. Another geocacher in my area had the idea of using a loooooong pole...

You get up early!! Just had to say it was neat of you to apologise Team Krammer. Good luck with your cache, you'll probably find somewhere that is even better.

You get up early!! Just had to say it was neat of you to apologise Team Krammer. Good luck with your cache, you'll probably find somewhere that is even better.

+1! And even better to call yourself "stupid". Few of us ever do that, even though most of us should do it rather frequently. Especially me, right now. :lol:

Seriously... I agree with popokiiti... good luck with your cache!