Geocaching on a Droid X

Z Beth

I'm all kinds of confused. I'm new to this. I'm trying to play using my Droid X. Can anyone please give me some tips or suggestions when it comes to using my phone. I understand the game, I just don't know how to find anything by using my phone. Like how do I put coordinates in and find it? And etc . . . . Thanks

I use geobeagle for android. It's decent, and gets the job done so far. I simply visit the geocachiing page on my browser, n the main page I hit the "find my location" link, and the page loads with the nearest caches. Make sure gps and wi-fi are enabled for better accuracy. Once I find a cache I want to chase ( I reccomend not chasing the smallest ones at first, pick the easy ones) I click the "google maps" option on the cache's page and a pop up asks if I wan too use google or geobeagle to complete the request. I choose geobeagle, and it opens and loads the cache. I can repeat this 20 times for different caches. Once I'm ready to go, I open geobeagle, click cache list, click the one I want, and get to hunting.

I have to agree with ARHgFanz....I use the official app on my X and it works great. You have all the functionality of the website other then recording TB's. And for all I know that may be there I just might not have found it. And yes $10 is a bit steep but you receive constant updates and if you really like caching it's a very small investment for the return.

I have found Locus Pro to be the best GPS app for the Droid X.

After you install Locus Pro you can install their Geocaching addon which will detect your location and load the closest 50 caches.

Look for Locus Pro and Locus-addon Geocaching.

https://market.android.com/search?q=locus+addon&so=1&c=apps

c:geo is also a great Droid geocaching app.

https://market.android.com/search?q=c%3Ageo&so=1&c=apps

I have been focused on using free apps so far. I have used GeoBeagle mostly until I started switching to Locus. I have used the other non-GC application mentioned in the thread but stopped. What I have tried checking when I look at an app is whether it is using an authorized method of communicating with GC.com. [This is not an attempt to start a discussion or argument about the other application.] From looking at some information about Locus it looks like the app uses the GS api for finding caches nearby.

GeoBeagle's current cache sync behavior has been real frustrating. I keep having to sync the caches as I move from one location to another. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts for a cache to become visible, even one that has been synced many times before. This can be a couple of minutes for each pass. That behavior caused me to start looking at Locus. With the geocaching add-on, it has pretty much all the same capability as GeoBeagle plus the benefit of off-line maps. This is really helping with my limited data plan. The cache management is different and I am having to do a little more manual work but it isn't that much more work than I had to do with an earlier version of GeoBeagle.