Erosion on the sphinx

releasethedogs

I am going to Giza tomorrow and I got the idea to make an earthcache at the sphinx. In case you dont know there are theories that the sphinx is older than what is said by mainstream science because (apparently) their is water erosion on the body and not the head. Could I present the theories, ask the user to identify any erosion and then tell me if the theories are plausible or not? would this make a good earth cache? please let me know as I will be going in 36 hours! I am on vacation and if this is a stupid idea and wont get published, i dont want to spend all the time doing the leg work. i would rather you know -- do vacation things.

I am going to Giza tomorrow and I got the idea to make an earthcache at the sphinx. In case you dont know there are theories that the sphinx is older than what is said by mainstream science because (apparently) their is water erosion on the body and not the head. Could I present the theories, ask the user to identify any erosion and then tell me if the theories are plausible or not? would this make a good earth cache? please let me know as I will be going in 36 hours! I am on vacation and if this is a stupid idea and wont get published, i dont want to spend all the time doing the leg work. i would rather you know -- do vacation things.

I cannot speak for the reviewers, but it sounds like a good idea. Be sure to identify what kind of rock was used. Go for it! :)

Sounds plausible, although I would guess that the permission aspects may be the crux of the matter. I would probably focus on which government agency might be in charge of the land, and work those aspects out ahead of time. I think all other issues could be sorted out one way or another.

Have a great trip! 8)

Based solely upon my uninformed opinion, I would think that an earthcache that focused on the geology of the sphinx or the pyramids, the types of weathering that is evident, and any conclusions that could be drawn would be a good one. The teacher's guide at the earthcaching site reminds us that "the possibilities are limitless provided they offer some nugget of information about a particular place and the land beneath it." And although precedence is of little value, if a slab of cut rock providing a base for a sun dial can be an earthcache, then why not the sphinx?

I am a bit jealous of your trip. Enjoy!

I don't know what the approachability of the sphinx is, but if it doesn't require contact only observation then you may be able to have the permission implied. If there is a park authority, or an admission charge that controls then maybe not. The fact that you get to visit that spot I am already envious, take pics to include in your description. I think you have a great idea.

I went to Giza yesterday and took plenty of photos. You can not stand right next to the Sphinx but you can stand about 15 feet from it on a ledge. Got plenty of close and zoomed in photos. You do have to pay to enter the area but i think that goes with out saying. Pretty excited to do my earth cache when i get back to work :P

now all i have to do if find some one who speaks/translates arabic :blink:

I went to Giza yesterday and took plenty of photos. You can not stand right next to the Sphinx but you can stand about 15 feet from it on a ledge. Got plenty of close and zoomed in photos. You do have to pay to enter the area but i think that goes with out saying. Pretty excited to do my earth cache when i get back to work :P

now all i have to do if find some one who speaks/translates arabic :blink:

you're going to have to think hard about those logging tasks. there are so many pics of the sphinx on the internet that you might wind up with a problem with armchair logging.

There is a great book on the geology of Egypt - very layman friendly - I have read it - it was printed by the AUC press - perhaps it is available on Amazon? Some ggod stuff in there and possible logging requirements too.

I travel to Cairo fairly regularly and have been thinking about an EC on the west bank quarry.