User "Found It" icon on Mag eX GC

I have a Magellan eXplorist GC; it is not my first GPSr. When I load a PQ that includes caches that I have already found, the caches that have already been found and logged on GC.com do not show a smiley. I CAN tell that a cache is one that I have found because there will be six "recent logs" rather than five, the sixth log being mine with my GC.com username. If I then mark one of these caches as found, and get it to show a smiley, it will show a seventh log with the name USER, rather than my username.

I guess my question is...Is this just how it is with this GPSr? Is there some way that the loaded caches will show as found with my username? The same issue exists with caches that I own. It will not show that I own the cache.

It seems like it would be a simple software fix for Magellan to have the GPSr know which caches are mine and also which caches I have already found.

Any answers or feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AZhunter

I don't think the unit can distinguish caches you own. When you load a PQ that contains your found and owned caches there is nothing in that PQ that can tell the unit that those caches are found or belong to you. The PQ is just a straight list of the caches you requested. The 6th log that is your log is the way the site designates the cache is one you found. But the unit doesn't know that nor can is count the logs since its just a straight text file. So as far as the GC or any other GPSr is concerned the caches have not been found yet. Also the unit doesn't know your cache name and has no way to ID a user name in a log as your name and mark the cache as found. No GPSr i know of is that intelligent. So that 7th log entry you get when you mark it as found is the unit recording your find so you can use the Field Notes feature to upload your field notes and log your find online.

To let the unit know which ones you've found you need to go through and mark each as found in the unit. There may be a GSAK macro that can help you do that but i'm not sure. Once again i don't know of any unit that has a way for you to mark a cache as owned. But then i'm not that familiar with many units.

I don't think the unit can distinguish caches you own. When you load a PQ that contains your found and owned caches there is nothing in that PQ that can tell the unit that those caches are found or belong to you. The PQ is just a straight list of the caches you requested. The 6th log that is your log is the way the site designates the cache is one you found. But the unit doesn't know that nor can is count the logs since its just a straight text file. So as far as the GC or any other GPSr is concerned the caches have not been found yet. Also the unit doesn't know your cache name and has no way to ID a user name in a log as your name and mark the cache as found. No GPSr i know of is that intelligent. So that 7th log entry you get when you mark it as found is the unit recording your find so you can use the Field Notes feature to upload your field notes and log your find online.

To let the unit know which ones you've found you need to go through and mark each as found in the unit. There may be a GSAK macro that can help you do that but i'm not sure. Once again i don't know of any unit that has a way for you to mark a cache as owned. But then i'm not that familiar with many units.

I really wish it could start determining all tracking all of that of that. It causes me to only load the caches I am going after. Sometimes you just want to ZOOM out!

It does make the awards that pop up on the device pretty un-rewarding! :)

Shaun

Think for a moment, did the Magellan eXplorist GC ever ask you for your Geocaching.com username? No. It just does not have that functionality. So it will not know what caches you found unless you find them with that gps unit. It also won't know what caches belong to you -- so if you include them in your PQ then they'll just show up as normal unfound caches too. In addition to that after some of the firmware updates you'll find your unit totally reset and you will lose ALL of your badges, stats and finds. :3 Just so you know.

Edited by rav_bunneh