Cleaning Pine Sap

Me-Fix

I'm new to geocaching but noticed quite a few caches involve evergreen trees. Poking around these trees has led me to figure out how to clean 'pine' sap safely from clothing and other items.

The answer is Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I used the pure 99% stuff, rubbing alcohol at 70% strength may have additives that can leave other stains.

It seemed to be safe for colored fabric as well but you should make a quick test just in case.

I've seen other posts mention an off-topic area but I couldn't find one so I posted here, hopefully that's OK.

Lava, Fast Orange, GOJO and any number of "no water needed" cleansers and I don't mean sanitizer tho they work as well.

~~~ edit to add~~~

the title "Cleaning Pine Sap" lead me to think this was going to give instructions for literally cleaning pine sap not removing it. Ya know, for glue and what not.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

FIRE.

Fire work good.

Fire get rid of ALL the sap.

(With minor side effect.)

ook ook

ook ook? What was that, a monkey? :lol:

On topic: Ive heard that leather cleaners (especially the ones used for cars) help remove any type of sticky liquid pretty good. So go out, whip some cash, get some car leather cleaners, and boom! There goes the sap!

On topic: Ive heard that leather cleaners (especially the ones used for cars) help remove any type of sticky liquid pretty good. So go out, whip some cash, get some car leather cleaners, and boom! There goes the sap!

I'll wait to use the leather cleaners for the day I look in the mirror and think "My skin looks like Jack Palance's". :D

Edited by Vater_Araignee

I'll wait to use the leather cleaners for the day I look in the mirror and think "My skin looks like Jack Palance's".

The OP was asking how to clean sap of his/hers clothes... as for cleaning your skin w/ leather cleaner, I've never tried that. I wonder if Jack has though.

I've seen other posts mention an off-topic area but I couldn't find one so I posted here, hopefully that's OK.

Off Topic forums is a premium member benefit (I kid you not). And according to some, should be considered elitist :ph34r:

Thanks for the tip. I've used some pretty harsh stuff for cleaning pine sap before, but somehow neglected to try alcohol. I know it works great for removing glue residue from stubborn labels.

Alcohol-based hand cleaner also does the job, for hands, anyway.

You mean, like "The answer is Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)."? LOL!

No, I mean alcohol-based hand cleaner :rolleyes:

I don't usually carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol around. Do you?

One also should consider the effect of the sap on whatever you are cleaning it off of. Skin may be quite resistant other than some irritation. I know there was a safety note posted many years back after some climbers found their 1" tubular nylon webbing rappel anchors were seriously degraded in fairly short order. (That was somewhere in TAG country). Testing showed that that species of conifer could cause that type of degrade (something in the order of 75% of nominal strength) in a few hours or less.

I'll try to find the information but I wouldn't count on it since I lost most of my magazines moving... it would be back in the NSS monthly in the 70's by Don Davison[sic]. Point is that some are of a nature to literally burn through some materials and most are not. I'll assume that most people are not trusting their lives to trees, but the same applies to expensive gear like tents and backpacks etc. Same goes for bird droppings. At least dilute the stuff and get rid of most of it. Car finish anyone? Both sap and the other stuff drop from trees all the time. Sunshine is another thing that will creep up and trash nylon etc. But not much you can do to clean that up... maybe move to England? Seems to be always cloudy there... :rolleyes:

Doug 7rxc

On longer trips in hot weather, yes I do. Dribble it on the soles of your sandals, step in so your feet get wet too, then wear till dry. Keeps the tropical stink from forming. On faraway trips, I buy some in the first farmacia I find and leave it behind at the end off the trip; it avoids airport hassles.

BTW, Dollarama alcohol is 50% and seems effective enough for disinfection; I haven't tried it for cleaning sap. Pocket hand-sanitizer is 60%, and I know it works well for dissolving sap off your hands.

Camping white gas is 100% gasoline, and it works wonderfully for getting sap off a windshield. Use with caution on clothes, of course, and especially around campfires.

Check the ingredients list on that hand cleaner. While you're at it, check the price tag and compare to rubbing alcohol.

Check the ingredients list on that hand cleaner. While you're at it, check the price tag and compare to rubbing alcohol.

I'll do that after you tell me how well it worked out for you to clean your hands with liquid rubbing alcohol coming out of a regular bottle.

And what do you mean, alcohol-based hand cleaner is actually based on alcohol? Nooooooooooo...............

Edited by dfx

I'll do that after you tell me how well it worked out for you to clean your hands with liquid rubbing alcohol coming out of a regular bottle.

And what do you mean, alcohol-based hand cleaner is actually based on alcohol? Nooooooooooo...............

It works just fine without the gelling ingredient, thank you.

It works just fine without the gelling ingredient, thank you.

I hate the way my hand s feel after using the gelled disinfectant.

Use public restroom and wash hands. Get nervous about touching restroom door when leaving. Use gelled disinfectant after leaving to to kill potential germs. Hands feel sticky.

Kid picks up snake. Snake craps on kids hands. Rinse kids hands. Rub on gelled disinfectant to kill potential germs. Hands feel sticky.

Hands feel sticky from pine sap. Use gelled disinfectant to remove pine sap. Hands feel less sticky but now the sticky is between my fingers.

Lucky for me I use a nicotine vaporizer and usually have 30ml of rubbing alcohol handy. But to be honest, I wouldn't bother using it for sap. If I am doing something where I can get sap on me then I am in clothes that I wont worry about and dirt can get most of it off my skin and change the tactile sensation of what doesn't come off. If I am on a long distance hike or camping then I'll also have a quarter bar of Lava with me.

Use public restroom and wash hands. Get nervous about touching restroom door when leaving. Use gelled disinfectant after leaving to to kill potential germs. Hands feel sticky.

Kid picks up snake. Snake craps on kids hands. Rinse kids hands. Rub on gelled disinfectant to kill potential germs. Hands feel sticky.

Hands feel sticky from pine sap. Use gelled disinfectant to remove pine sap. Hands feel less sticky but now the sticky is between my fingers.

Its easy... just lick the sticky stuff off!

What about getting it off of GPSr buttons and touchscreens? Is rubbing alcohol recommended? I have it on my new Oregon (not on the touchscreen) and I've got about 90% off by working at it with a paper towel dampened with warm water. But it still feels a little sticky.

just put a little "Goo Gone" on a paper towel and rub it on the buttons. The stuff works wonders

What about getting it off of GPSr buttons and touchscreens? Is rubbing alcohol recommended? I have it on my new Oregon (not on the touchscreen) and I've got about 90% off by working at it with a paper towel dampened with warm water. But it still feels a little sticky.

just put a little "Goo Gone" on a paper towel and rub it on the buttons. The stuff works wonders

Thanks, lazydawg. I wasn't sure if I could get Goo Gone here in Canada but, yes I can! Available at my local Canadian Tire store. I'll get some tomorrow.

Its easy... just lick the sticky stuff off!

vomit-smiley-024.gif

Thanks, lazydawg. I wasn't sure if I could get Goo Gone here in Canada but, yes I can! Available at my local Canadian Tire store. I'll get some tomorrow.

Alcohol can affect some plastics in a destructive fashion. I think it can make the clear plastic 'craze' which would be a bad thing. For the GPS unit some LCD TV screen cleaner might be safer as those screens may have a plastic coating on them similar to GPS's.

Alcohol can affect some plastics in a destructive fashion. I think it can make the clear plastic 'craze' which would be a bad thing. For the GPS unit some LCD TV screen cleaner might be safer as those screens may have a plastic coating on them similar to GPS's.

Every LCD screen cleaner wipe that I've seen lists Isopropyl Alcohol as the ingredient.

Goo Gone is, I believe, naptha, which is also used by dry cleaners. But nevertheless, you're right... test first!