Event Cache

Hi All!

I am only 14 however I am addicted to geocaching and want to attend a geocaching event to meet with others but there are never any close by... My nearest town is Skipton,North yorkshire however all the events are always so far away..

Any advice?

I'm not sure...however it is something I could look into, if I said a picnic in the park or something, where everyone brings food so I wouldn't have to pay do you think people would come?

Hi All!

I am only 14 however I am addicted to geocaching and want to attend a geocaching event to meet with others but there are never any close by... My nearest town is Skipton,North yorkshire however all the events are always so far away..

Any advice?

I'm not sure...however it is something I could look into, if I said a picnic in the park or something, where everyone brings food so I wouldn't have to pay do you think people would come?

"You organise it, they will come"

Do you know any local cachers? Would they help you organise an event?

Edit to add:

The local Yorkshire cachers hang out here: http://www.yorkshiregeocaching.co.uk/

If you don't feel like oganising your own event, have a word and see if they will organise one for you, closer to you.

(They are friendly, I hang out there occasionally!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I know one or two that I email about different caches, but I am not sure if they will help me set one up? I could possibly email one? If not how should I get it going? If I set one up by myself, will it not be rather awkward when they arrive as I will be there, won't they possibly treat me like a child? :/

If I said a picnic in the park or something, where everyone brings food so I wouldn't have to pay do you think people would come?

Whatever kind of event you go for you shouldn't have to pay anything. Personally I think a picnic would be a great idea if you can find somewhere suitable - don't forget most cachers will probably come by car so you need somewhere with a bit of parking nearby.

If I set one up by myself, will it not be rather awkward when they arrive as I will be there, won't they possibly treat me like a child? :/

I don't think that should be a problem, most of the people coming will be local so they'll probably know of you either from you finding their caches, or them finding yours. Why not Email those you've already made contact with and ask if they'd be interested in coming along?

I say go for it!

They like the fact that geocaching gets me out, however they sometimes get annoyed when I constantly say "can we go geocaching" :) I would say to my mum to drop me off then pick me back up, however it is *quite* far away, plus I don't no how long the event goes on for...?

They like the fact that geocaching gets me out, however they sometimes get annoyed when I constantly say "can we go geocaching" :) I would say to my mum to drop me off then pick me back up, however it is *quite* far away, plus I don't no how long the event goes on for...?

And of course also a Pub.

Do you know about the event on 6th August near Queensbury, about 20 miles from you? It's being hosted by one of the Volunteer Reviewers who covers the area:

"One year on..."

Just looking at that now! Only thing is- getting there- i.e persuading my parents :/ How????? Bit of advice? :)

Hmmm... well...

How do you normally get around to do caching? Do they take you, or do you just search for any that you happen to be close to when you're out and about doing other things?

Have you got a birthday coming up? You could try, "Mum, Dad - You know what I'd really like to do as a (pre)birthday treat?... etc"

What do they think about your geocaching? Are they interested in it all themselves? Maybe you could let this topic run on a while and then show it to them. It'll let them know you're keen enough to ask advice on this UK forum and that other cachers are taking your request seriously. :)

MrsB

MrsB

Start to gather at the pub from 17:00 hours Leave whilst you can still stand up!.

Traditional beers and ales are on sale. Food is served between 5:30pm and 8:30 pm.

I'd say it'll end at 'Kicking out time' usually 11.30pm... Unless the place has a late license, in which case...

And, as it's a pub, and you are 'under age' you would need to be 'under supervision' of an 'adult' but that doesn't stop you from attending!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

And my parents are semi-interested in geocaching, we find geocaches wherever we tend to be and also we go geocaching as a family sometimes...

Plus..I got an imac for my early birthday present :S

And I guess cause it's summer, they might come with me...I don't know... They might get bored :l

I don't know the area but how about you suggest to them that you could spend some time there during the afternoon (maybe even find some caches together) and then see if they'd agree that you could all go along to the pub at least for the start of the event. Maybe they would like to have a snack there? Most parents would be happy that their child was getting interested in a hobby that got them out of doors regularly so maybe you won't have to twist their arm too much. ;)

If they agree to it then make sure you log a "Will attend" on the event and mention in the log that you're a very new, younger cacher who's coming along with your parents.

Good luck!

we have our kent event on a sat lunch time at a pub maby you could ask ur 'rents to go to ur local for lunch and set up the event there too we normaly start ours at 12 and ppl start to leave about 3 but some stay later. just find a place that u can get to either walking or from a lift and talk to the owners (unless is its a park or something) then just write ur page of were to go and what day and ppl will come

lmn