Cache Vandalism

On our family account we have a cache disguised as an owl hidden in a tree. It is a local favourite and we always get asked about it by other cachers. However, two years ago when somebody went to retrieve the cache, they found it full of milk and a note saying "I took your milk money - but I shared". The cache was a mess and it took alot of cleaning out to get rid of the smell and mold. So I ask you, what is the worst vandalism someone has ever done to your cache or one you have seen?

P.S: Here is the link to the cache page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0f44422c-c3b0-46ff-89ea-6f9141b9260c and here is the link to the log: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=db3d4d65-ec44-4104-a3c1-4f7d916493c5

On our family account we have a cache disguised as an owl hidden in a tree. It is a local favourite and we always get asked about it by other cachers. However, two years ago when somebody went to retrieve the cache, they found it full of milk and a note saying "I took your milk money - but I shared". The cache was a mess and it took alot of cleaning out to get rid of the smell and mold. So I ask you, what is the worst vandalism someone has ever done to your cache or one you have seen?

P.S: Here is the link to the cache page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0f44422c-c3b0-46ff-89ea-6f9141b9260c and here is the link to the log: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=db3d4d65-ec44-4104-a3c1-4f7d916493c5

What about vandalism by the CO?

http://bit.ly/rklSWW

Edited by Sven&Cup

P.S: Here is the link to the cache page: http://www.geocachin...ea-6f9141b9260c and here is the link to the log: http://www.geocachin...c1-4f7d916493c5

What about vandalism by the CO?

http://bit.ly/rklSWW

Ewwwwww!!!!!:angry:

There was a great TB safe house near me that was disguised as a bird house in the woods near a Sam's club. The birdhouse had a lock on it to keep muggles out with the key hidden near the cache. Apparently some muggle was very curious about a birdhouse with a lock. They took a cinder block that the CO placed at the base of the post to help short cachers reach the birdhouse and smashed the side with the lock. TBs were lost and a great cache was destroyed.

Apparently some muggle was very curious about a birdhouse with a lock. They took a cinder block that the CO placed at the base of the post to help short cachers reach the birdhouse and smashed the side with the lock.

What were they hoping to find? Three smashed birds? The mind bogges.

I was out wandering a Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada park and found an open rubbermaid container with trinkets scattered all around it. I also found a shredded piece of paper. All I can read on it is "Ax....m Mortgage Solutions Geocache ..... Please leave this where you find it for your fellow hunters ...."

Any idea how I track down whose cache it is and help get it returned? I've looked at the map and there are no caches in the immediate vicinity that match the description.

Thanks for your help!!

I was out wandering a Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada park and found an open rubbermaid container with trinkets scattered all around it. I also found a shredded piece of paper. All I can read on it is "Ax....m Mortgage Solutions Geocache ..... Please leave this where you find it for your fellow hunters ...."

Any idea how I track down whose cache it is and help get it returned? I've looked at the map and there are no caches in the immediate vicinity that match the description.

Thanks for your help!!

I did a search, and only found two caches with the word "Mortgage" in the name. None near you. It could have been listed on another site, or that "Mortgage Solutions" had nothing to do with the name.

Thanks for your help!!

I doubt that would have passed muster for publication... if it was mentioned anywhere due to the commercial nature.

It may have been a 'private' cache for a special event of some sort. It didn't take much to track down the name... why not call them and ask if they know anything about it. Look under mortgages in the local book.

How about coordinates for where you found it... or the name of the park. There are a few up there. Any sign of a log?

Splitting this off to a topic in the Canada forum might help.

Doug 7rxc

The Clarkson University Outing Club (aka CUOC) found my cache ( GC2JCKR ), broke the lock off, took most of the contents (including a $50 FTF award and trackable), and then signed the log :blink:. When I checked on the cache a few days later I emailed the President of the Club.

Here was his response:

"I know of the incident you are describing in your email and know the members of this club who partook in the trip to Eagle Caves that day. I can assure you that neither the members of the club that went on the trip nor myself have any experience with the geocache community or had any negative intentions. While it may not have been prudent for them to take the objects inside the the chest, I have been assured that it was their intentions to return to the geocache site to leave something in return (as is the basic understanding of geocache). If however you would instead like to remedy this situation in some other manner please let me know."

Although I asked for them to just contribute basic items (even allowing them to keep the 50 bucks) by giving them my address, I have never seen anything from them.

This cache is VERY hard to maintain and I had to bring a drill gun, epoxy, and a new (much stronger) hinge to this location in order to fix it (as well as resupply).

0416011330.jpg

cuoc.jpg

Needless to say I still have animosity towards this group of thoughtless vandals. :angry:

Edited by diggy64

The Clarkson University Outing Club (aka CUOC) found my cache ( GC2JCKR ), broke the lock off, took most of the contents (including a $50 FTF award and trackable), and then signed the log :blink:. When I checked on the cache a few days later I emailed the President of the Club.

Personally... I'd be having a chat with the dean of the school and informing him/her of the conduct of their club.

Brown stuff flows down hill so always start at the top and see what happens. :lol:

Here was his response:

"I know of the incident you are describing in your email and know the members of this club who partook in the trip to Eagle Caves that day. I can assure you that neither the members of the club that went on the trip nor myself have any experience with the geocache community or had any negative intentions. While it may not have been prudent for them to take the objects inside the the chest, I have been assured that it was their intentions to return to the geocache site to leave something in return (as is the basic understanding of geocache). If however you would instead like to remedy this situation in some other manner please let me know."

Although I asked for them to just contribute basic items (even allowing them to keep the 50 bucks) by giving them my address, I have never seen anything from them.

This cache is VERY hard to maintain and I had to bring a drill gun, epoxy, and a new (much stronger) hinge to this location in order to fix it (as well as resupply).

0416011330.jpg

cuoc.jpg

Needless to say I still have animosity towards this group of thoughtless vandals. :angry:

SHaME ON THEM!

EDIT: I have no proof this time the CUOC had anything to do with the cache being destroyed. Although they never replied to my invitation to revisit the cache, never sent me replacement items, and admitted leaving beer cans in the caves I have pieced together that the cache was probably destroyed prior to Saturday. The show of support for this cache has been outstanding and I appreciate it. As a result, I expect to bring the cache back in the spring. Expect it to be harder though. *wink*

Edited by diggy64