Rustproofing chinese food take out containers

What if I dip it in clear coat, fill it with cement, and pop a waterproof match container into the center?

Actually, I think you just described a seriously fun cache container! DO IT!

Yes, but you still haven't answered my question about satisfactory rustproofing of the handle. Rustoleum paint does not adhere well to it at all.

What if I dip it in clear coat, fill it with cement, and pop a waterproof match container into the center?

Yes, but you still haven't answered my question about satisfactory rustproofing of the handle. Rustoleum paint does not adhere well to it at all.

Did you try sanding the handle first? That usually does it with anything metal and then the paint should adhere to it.

Did you try sanding the handle first? That usually does it with anything metal and then the paint should adhere to it.

Really fine sandpaper does nothing. Thick sandpaper does not work. The belt sander got out of control and caused some collateral damage..

Really fine sandpaper does nothing. Thick sandpaper does not work. The belt sander got out of control and caused some collateral damage..

I don't have one handy for testing (dined at a brewpub this evening) but perhaps you could galvanize the handle.

I don't have one handy for testing (dined at a brewpub this evening) but perhaps you could galvanize the handle.

That's it! I can spray zinc on the handle and cold galvanize it.

What do I do with the beef and broccoli ?

I've found that the stock handles on these containers aren't worth the trouble. Simply remove them and shape a new one out of plastic coated steel wire. Depending on the gauge you are able to find it in, you may have to increase the hole size in the container, so do this before adding cement!

That's actually a pretty sensible thing to do, but it would not be properly restored to the original specifications. :P

Pick the beef out of it and give it to your vegetarian friends.

My first thought was to put it in the match container, but then remembered food isn't allowed in caches. (IMO broccoli shouldn't be allowed in cachers!) But if you hide the cache near a homeless camp, you might get some takers on on the take out...

For your beef and brocolli

variants_large_4684.jpg

I've found that the stock handles on these containers aren't worth the trouble. Simply remove them and shape a new one out of plastic coated steel wire.
I agree that the stock handles aren't worth the trouble, but IME, even plastic coated steel wire doesn't really last. However, your local hardware store should have stainless steel wire, and it works well. Copper and aluminum wire also last well, but they're softer so you'll need a heavier gauge than if you use stainless steel.

Electroplating. You can get them as low as $30.00 but I don't recommend using chrome substitute because they will flake off unlike gold, silver or copper. If it is the old paper style container it is even possible to electroplate it.

Then there is always using a propane torch and solder to tin the handle.

As for the beef n broc, try bio refinement then placing it back in the container and hiding a cache under the container.

For your beef and brocolli

variants_large_4684.jpg

Even worse than a Tick.

If you've damaged the collateral, you'll have to start over. I suggest something without broccoli for the next attempt. That is always bad for the collateral anyway.

5 words:

I don't eat Chinese food.

Contractions still count as two words don't they?

Anyway, if it's still fresh and hot, I'll take yours!

Come to think of it I'll take CR's broccoli as well!

Anyone got spinach and brussel sprouts? I'll gladly let you have my liver (meal, not anatomic).

To 4wf: Use a piece of brass welding rod, strong and impervious to rust. Use the non fluxed... it will weather but otherwise ok.

Doug 7rxc

The real problem is the MSG. When you hide your cache, make sure you are using a container from a Chinese food place that does not use MSG in their food. Be very careful about this; many a good Chinese food container has been ruined this way.

The raccoons and hamsters thank you!

If I ever find a cache made from a Chinese take-out container, I'm going to come back to this thread and yell at every single one of you.

:D

An area quite close to here has a notorious amount of them around :ph34r:

And every single one of them sucked :lol:

If I ever find a cache made from a Chinese take-out container, I'm going to come back to this thread and yell at every single one of you.

Did they give you a scent that made you want to go to the nearest restruant?

Are you implying that they were disguised commercial caches and should not have been allowed? :ph34r:

DUDE!!! Titanium flash plating, of course! I didn't think you really needed it to be spelled out for you.

Are you implying that they were disguised commercial caches and should not have been allowed? :ph34r:
Dfx may have hit upon something here. Despite our best efforts to waterproof such a container, it may not be allowed, as it is not only commercial, but pushing an agenda of getting us to eat at the nearest "Wok Inn."

This is the silliest thread in this forum since Ammo Cans Should Be Banned.

This is a serious thread. I know some people hide ammo boxes and lock n locks on long hikes in scenic places, and other excellent spots, but others view the container as the essential art form, and to tell a silent tale of discovery, awe, and amazement. (especially if there is nothing scenic there)

Wait until you see the giant cement horse poop creation that is in the works !!!

I thought you weren't at that event in New Jersey where we all found the Chinese Takeout cache... Maybe I missed you?

What in the tarnations are you talking about?

It seems pretty clear... Coldgears was at an event in New Jersy, during which he was part of a group of cachers who found a Chinese Takeout cache. He didn't see the OP there.