eTrex 30 vs Dakota 20

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new lightweight GPS unit I can use for backpacking and geocaching. I owned the original eTrex and it was great, but I wanted something that I could use maps with - sold it. I've had good luck with Garmin, so I will probably stick with them. The Colorado and Oregon models like nice, but more weight then I want to carry. I wold like the barometer and electronic compass. The Dakota 20 looks great, but it also looks like the eTrex 30 should be out soon. The price of the eTrex looks to be 299.00 and the price of the Dakota 20 is 295.00 on Amazon. I know the 30 isn't out yet os no one has played with it, but on paper is there any reason to choose one over the other. Size, weight, and price look close.

Thanks for any help!

JT

I think as of right now the Dakota 20 is the way to go. Here are the differences I see....

•  
  • The Dakota 20 runs around $200 on a good day, while the eTrex 30 will be closer to $300.
  • The Dakota has a slightly larger screen (2.6" to 2.2")
  • The Dakota has custom map support (the ability to scan in your own paper maps.)
  • The eTrex will hold twice the amount of waypoints (1000 vs. 2000)
  • The eTrex has twice the internal memory.
  • The eTrex has better battery life (25hrs vs. 20)
  • The eTrex is button controlled while the Dakota is touchscreen.

Both are great units. As it sits right now I am a big fan of the Dakota. I don't see the extra specs the etrex 30 will have to be worth the extra price. Either way you go you cant go wrong, but I'm leaning for the Dakota 20.

Yes, I'm thinking you might be correct - the Dakota might be the way to go. I was about to get it, but then started reading more about the screen. Seems the Dakota can be a little hard to read in bright light? It looks like it's not a problem when holding it as you can adjust your angle for best viewing, but I wonder about putting it on a bike handlebar? I don't think the Dakota is going up in price, and I don't really need the unit until September, so I'm thinking of at least waiting until the eTrex 30 comes out to see if the screen is improved. I'm seeing August 16th, that's not too long a wait ;-) I just hope the reviews start soon after!

Thanks,

JT

I think as of right now the Dakota 20 is the way to go. Here are the differences I see....

•  
  • The Dakota 20 runs around $200 on a good day, while the eTrex 30 will be closer to $300.
  • The Dakota has a slightly larger screen (2.6" to 2.2")
  • The Dakota has custom map support (the ability to scan in your own paper maps.)
  • The eTrex will hold twice the amount of waypoints (1000 vs. 2000)
  • The eTrex has twice the internal memory.
  • The eTrex has better battery life (25hrs vs. 20)
  • The eTrex is button controlled while the Dakota is touchscreen.

Both are great units. As it sits right now I am a big fan of the Dakota. I don't see the extra specs the etrex 30 will have to be worth the extra price. Either way you go you cant go wrong, but I'm leaning for the Dakota 20.

Yes, I'm thinking you might be correct - the Dakota might be the way to go. I was about to get it, but then started reading more about the screen. Seems the Dakota can be a little hard to read in bright light? It looks like it's not a problem when holding it as you can adjust your angle for best viewing, but I wonder about putting it on a bike handlebar?

I had concerns about the screen as well. I've been using the Dakota 20 for about six weeks now and I found most of the reviews to be badly overblown when it comes to difficulty reading the screen. Now, mind you, I haven't used it in a fixed type position so your mileage may vary.

I set my unit up so that when I touch the screen the backlight comes on at full brightness and that solved most of my visibility issues. After 15 seconds of inactivity the backlight shuts off again. A freshly charged set of AAs still lasts all day. Depending on how long you're going to be out, you might just be able to leave the backlight on.

For me a key factor was the Dakota has been out for a couple of years so Garmin has worked out the bugs in the firmware.

...I wonder about putting it on a bike handlebar?...
...I found most of the reviews to be badly overblown when it comes to difficulty reading the screen. Now, mind you, I haven't used it in a fixed type position ...

I've tried both the Dakota 20 and the Oregon 450 on my bike and found them almost unusable. As DanOCan indicates, in handheld use it's not really a problem -- but in a handlebar mount I could never find the right viewing angle. Maybe a ball pivot that would let me tilt it through two arcs instead of one would help.

Edited by Portland Cyclist
...I wonder about putting it on a bike handlebar?...
...I found most of the reviews to be badly overblown when it comes to difficulty reading the screen. Now, mind you, I haven't used it in a fixed type position ...

I've tried both the Dakota 20 and the Oregon 450 on my bike and found them almost unusable. As DanOCan indicates, in handheld use it's not really a problem -- but in a handlebar mount I could never find the right viewing angle. Maybe a ball pivot that would let me tilt it through two arcs instead of one would help.

Have you seen any GPS that can be "safely" using while cycling? I have not. They are too hard to see.

Red90 & Mobiletaylor, you've both touched on home I use a GPS on my bike. Odometer/trip screen sometimes, but usually just a minimal map: Detail set to minimum, declutter on, and just a trail line on it acting as my cue sheet. And nothing beats monochrome for that usage!

I am looking forward to trying out the eTrex 10.

The Dakota has been out long enough for Garmin to have bungled their way through fixing the major bugs. The new Etrexes will be loaded with bugs. If you don't mind paying hundreds to be an unpaid alpha tester for Garmin, go for the new one.

I don't really agree. All these units have the same basic firmware and the main bugs were worked out long ago. The latest units, 72, 78, Montana are mainly bug free.