Left a cache, but lost coordinates

ricewaters

Okay, so we're relatively new to this, and have never hid a cache before. We went on vacation and thought it would be fun to leave a cache behind full of goodies, including a travel bug that we've found. Well, as it turns out, what we thought were the correct coordinates are nowhere near where we left it. I can look on a satellite map and guess the approximate area, but not sure really what to do from here. Embarrassed and disappointed in self...

How far away from home is your vacation cache? If it is an hour, you could go back and get those coords. More than that, then maintenance of the cache could be a headache for sure, and I wouldn't place one that far away.

Also, if there are any issues that need fixing in the approval process and the cache is a long distance away, those issues can't be addressed.

Okay, so we're relatively new to this, and have never hid a cache before. We went on vacation and thought it would be fun to leave a cache behind full of goodies, including a travel bug that we've found. Well, as it turns out, what we thought were the correct coordinates are nowhere near where we left it. I can look on a satellite map and guess the approximate area, but not sure really what to do from here. Embarrassed and disappointed in self...

Contact a cache placer in the area and ask them to check it out for you? Perhaps give the cache to them to maintain?

How far away from home is your vacation cache? If it is an hour, you could go back and get those coords. More than that, then maintenance of the cache could be a headache for sure, and I wouldn't place one that far away.

Also, if there are any issues that need fixing in the approval process and the cache is a long distance away, those issues can't be addressed.

Yeah, it's a five hour drive and a two hour ferry ride to Beaver Island from where we live. Argh. Is it possible to have someone up there "adopt" the cache or something, if I can somehow get a friendly area geocacher to find it??

Yes, you can give it up for adoption and I recommend that you do. I live in a vacation town and there are caches that were left by tourists that fall into disrepair. I log a Needs Archived if a cache description says they left it on vacation. The local cachers have enough of our own caches to maintain.

Hiding a cache while on vacation is against the geocaching guidelines.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

When you hide a cache, it is your responsibility to maintain it for as long as it is out in the wild. It is your responsibility to respond to any reported problems in a timely manner, otherwise it's just a piece if litter you left behind. How did you plan to check on and maintain the cache if you live seven hours away?

Sorry if I come off as a little annoyed by this, but I hope you've learned an important lesson here. You can't just abandon a cache out there with no plan to maintain it, and it's not fair to expect other cachers to maintain it for you.

Yes, you can give it up for adoption and I recommend that you do. I live in a vacation town and there are caches that were left by tourists that fall into disrepair. I log a Needs Archived if a cache description says they left it on vacation. The local cachers have enough of our own caches to maintain.

Hiding a cache while on vacation is against the geocaching guidelines.

Lesson learned. At the very least, I want to see that the travel bug that we found continues to make its path somewhere...

Yeah, it's a five hour drive and a two hour ferry ride to Beaver Island from where we live. Argh. Is it possible to have someone up there "adopt" the cache or something, if I can somehow get a friendly area geocacher to find it??

If you don't know the coords, I'm assuming that the cache hasn't been published. If it's not published, it can't be adopted.

Not only a "vacation cache", but now a trackable is stranded somewhere unknown. <_<

The only thing I can think to do is to try and contact an active cacher in the area and give them an approximation of where you left the cache. Hopefully, the cache can be retrieved, or perhaps another cacher might want to have it published under their account.

And hopefully the trackable can be retrieved and put back into motion.

Edited by Pup Patrol

PP,

You are correct in that it has not been published. After reading the guidelines (AFTER placing the cache), I realized I made a boo-boo. Again, I'm new to this. Oops.

I didn't mean to sound harsh. I'm sorry about that.

Well, let's start with where you hid the cache. I'm from Canada, so you're going to have to post some details of the location.

Then we can try and get you to a regional forum or "local" caching group's website and hopefully in contact with a cacher who might be able to help.

Or, I could check out your profile and see that your recent finds have been in Beaver Island, Michigan. (doh is me)

The very first cache find of yours that I looked at was placed by lightkeeperJane. Based on her profile, I would say that contacting her and asking for help might be a good idea.

You need to be able to pin down where you left the cache and the trackable. As much detailed info as possible will be necessary.

One thing I was wondering is if you chose a location close to one of the caches you found while there.

It's on Beaver Island which is in Lake Michigan. There's only about 600 residents on the island, so I'm not sure there'll be much of a "local" forum. There are a number of caches on the island though, so I'm thinking I'll have to contact one of those owners?? Thanks for your help.

That cache left by lightkeeperJane is the closest, by the way. I'm going to try to contact her...

She looks to be a very experienced cacher in the area. Let's hope she can help you out.

hehehe...how close to that cache did you place yours? You might have run into the "proximity" rule any way. :D

About 3/4 of a mile away. I did notice the proximity rule too now, but at least by chance I managed to do something right. I feel like a kid on Christmas having dived into his new toy without having first read the directions.

Let us know if you don't get a response from that local cacher. We can find another.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Is it possible to have someone up there "adopt" the cache or something, if I can somehow get a friendly area geocacher to find it??

If it's not published, it can't be adopted.

I'm guessing by "adopt" the OP means for another cacher to find the cache, record the coordinates, and then submit it for publication themselves.

I'm guessing by "adopt" the OP means for another cacher to find the cache, record the coordinates, and then submit it for publication themselves.

Uh, yeah, like I suggested already, in the part of my reply that you deleted?

If you don't know the coords, I'm assuming that the cache hasn't been published. If it's not published, it can't be adopted.

Not only a "vacation cache", but now a trackable is stranded somewhere unknown. <_<

The only thing I can think to do is to try and contact an active cacher in the area and give them an approximation of where you left the cache. Hopefully, the cache can be retrieved, or perhaps another cacher might want to have it published under their account.

And hopefully the trackable can be retrieved and put back into motion.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Uh, yeah, like I suggested already, in the part of my reply that you deleted?

I didn't see that part. Maybe you should have made it clearer.

Maybe you should have just read all of the post.