Lowrance Endura Support

Oh man that sucks to hear. I got this as a gift from my wife and I really don't want to return it as she was all proud if herself for getting me something cool and out if the box. I am committed to getting this thing working if at all possible.

Well then, that does complicate things a bit, doesn't it :huh:

Here is a list of maps available for Lowrance GPSr.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Yes all GPX files are the same, it's the manufactures hand-shaking programming language between the GPS and GPS program you're using that is different. You will notice when you're using Easy GPS for instance you have to pick the GPS you want the GPX file written too. Too bad there's not an industry transfer standard, I got tired of taking out my topo card to upload pocket quarys, add to it the lazy pointer and distance issues and ended up selling my Out&Back.

NO, Garmin GPX files are different from Lowarance are different from Magellan!

(additionally, Lowrance does not use the same GPX format standard that everyone has been using for the last 8 years.) (based on files provided to me by Lowrance)

Basic items like waypoint having lat long & ele are the same

Vendors have proprietary extensions to add other information.

Each vendor has their own header information pointing to their schema.

Most vendors use a symbol name to refer to icons for waypoints,

Lowrance uses a table look up scheme, the same symbol may appear in multiple rows!

Symbol names for the other vendors match on very few.

e.g, for "Park" Garmin, "Evergreen Tree" DeLorme, "Park Recreation" Magellan, "Tree" Lowrance

"Campground" Garmin, "Tent" DeLorme, "Campground" or "Camping" Magellan, "Camp Site" Lowrance

(The GPX info for Lowrance provides a row & col, not the symbol name shown, that is from lookup.)

Most applications only use the base/common information and ignore extensions.

Symbols provide very useful information, a shame that they aren't usable on other vendors units.

(Symbol sets also can very between different model series within a vendor.)

That's why I wrote a table driven translation app to do the conversion including track & route colors.

It also converts to Google Earth KML using their placemark symbols or a 269 icon set.

It doesn't currently handle geocaches though..... so I haven't looked into how they are handled between the vendors.

DeLorme separates theirs by symbol name, don't know about the others.

App vendors write the appropriate headers for the destination GPS if they want to provide more than basic information.

Thanks for the info on the "Vendor Proprietary Extension", "sounds typical"...

So what's the story between Lowrance and Groundspeak?

Is Lowrance not willing to give the programming to Groundspeak or is it Groundspeak wants $$$$ from Lowrance?

So a cacher can't send a cache directly to their Lowrance GPS from the Groundspeak website but instead is forced to use a third party program like Easy GPS or others that supports the Lowrance format to convert the GPX or pocket query file into Lowrance language for the transfer to their GPS? I use to be a hardcore programmer but after I retired 8 years ago I won't even open a program to see how it's written, you can call it burn out...

Just got an out and back the other day, updated the software to the latest version and I am pleased at the features and the performance of the unit so far but the stock maps are junk. I am wondering how I can update the maps. My neighborhood has been around for a decade and yet the maps show no streets in my neighborhood. The surprising thing about the issue is that the park in my neighborhood is listed as a POI on the unit!

So I have 2 questions I have are as follows:

1.) How can I upgrade the stock maps to show more accurate information?

2.) I would like to add maps to this unit that show accurate information for various National forest services. Basically I would like to get rid of the stack of forest service maps I have for the places I frequent. Is this possible?

This is the first GPS unit I have ever owned so I am starting from scratch. I am posting here as I have spent the better part of my free time for the past few days looking online for this information and I couldn't seem to find anything. Feel free to PM me or post here for all to see. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Can you still return it and get a Garmin?

I have an Endura Sierra, and find it to be quite lacking, even with the latest firmware installed.

Finding newer, updated, quality maps ofr them is next to impossible.

However, there are so many good free mapping choices for Garmin units (visit GPSFileDepot.com) I sometimes am unsure which I want to use on any given day!

My best advice is to return the Lowrance and get a Garmin :)

Oh man that sucks to hear. I got this as a gift from my wife and I really don't want to return it as she was all proud if herself for getting me something cool and out if the box. I am committed to getting this thing working if at all possible.

Don't worry you can get it to work for you and keep your wife happy.

I had a turn by turn street level maps on a microSD card for my safari. At one point I also had the topo maps for my area too but I really don't need them here. Take a look at this link and see if the maps will work for you. The turn by turn is great and has voice directions better than my nuvi actually. Do some searching as the price varies a lot. I bought one card on craigslist and the other ebay if I remember right.

http://www.software-maps.com/lowrance-endura-microsd-outdoor-accuterra-maps.htm

Thanks for the info on the "Vendor Proprietary Extension", "sounds typical"...

So what's the story between Lowrance and Groundspeak?

Is Lowrance not willing to give the programming to Groundspeak or is it Groundspeak wants $$$$ from Lowrance?

So a cacher can't send a cache directly to their Lowrance GPS from the Groundspeak website but instead is forced to use a third party program like Easy GPS or others that supports the Lowrance format to convert the GPX or pocket query file into Lowrance language for the transfer to their GPS? I use to be a hardcore programmer but after I retired 8 years ago I won't even open a program to see how it's written, you can call it burn out...

I didn't have a problem loading my PQs directly to my safari and have never used easy gps and rarely gsak. I tried to load only one cache directly to the safari from Groundspeak and that didn't work though. GSAK is the one that doesn't speak directly to the endura units for what ever reason.

Just got an out and back the other day, updated the software to the latest version and I am pleased at the features and the performance of the unit so far but the stock maps are junk. I am wondering how I can update the maps. My neighborhood has been around for a decade and yet the maps show no streets in my neighborhood. The surprising thing about the issue is that the park in my neighborhood is listed as a POI on the unit!

2.) I would like to add maps to this unit that show accurate information for various National forest services. Basically I would like to get rid of the stack of forest service maps I have for the places I frequent. Is this possible?

This is the first GPS unit I have ever owned so I am starting from scratch. I am posting here as I have spent the better part of my free time for the past few days looking online for this information and I couldn't seem to find anything. Feel free to PM me or post here for all to see. Thank you in advance for all your help!

There are two ways to get updated maps.

1) Purchase them via Mapselect.com. You need to create an account that's associated with your particular GPS unit. You then use the online web software to select the region you are interested in, the type of maps you want, and then pay for, and download them. They offer standard USGS topo maps (called eTopo), aerial imagery maps, and BLM maps. I have not tried the BLM maps. The USGS ones are in most cases, identical to the USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle printed maps. Getting coverage of a LARGE area could be expensive. I think the eTopo files are $0.99 per 7.5 minute quad. However, I DO like them. My friend has a Garmin eTrex 20, and has loaded some of the GPSFileDepot maps for our area (Southeastern MI). The amount of detail, especially elevation contours in our flat state, is severely lacking in the Garmin GPSFileDepot maps compared to what I have on my Lowrance with the eTopo maps.

2) Purchase a regional card. There are seven regions in the US. I think each region cost $99.00. I don't own one, so I can't tell you how the detail in these cards compares to downloading individual eTopo files from Mapselect.com

My friend has a Garmin eTrex 20, and has loaded some of the GPSFileDepot maps for our area (Southeastern MI). The amount of detail, especially elevation contours in our flat state, is severely lacking in the Garmin GPSFileDepot maps compared to what I have on my Lowrance with the eTopo maps.

Which maps from GPSFileDepot?

Of course, YMMV, but I find the maps there to be better detailed than anything from Garmin, Lowrance, Magellen, etc.

I don't recall which maps, exactly. I helped a friend load some maps from GPSFileDepot onto a Garmin 60csx, and I think I used the same "northeast" multi-state mapset from GPSFileDepot that got loaded on the eTrex 20, but we only loaded coverage for several counties in Michigan.

On my Lowrance Endura, the eTopo maps are the EXACT same imagery as the printed USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle maps you purchase from the USGS - down to the same contour lines, and the same printing: at least in areas that I've looked: parts of Michigan, and the Adirondack High Peaks region of New York. By exact I mean exact. The GPS map may indicate I'm standing next to the "W" in "Waterloo State Recreation Area" printed on the map near the rec area headquarters, and I can look on my hard copy of the USGS map and see the same "Waterloo State Recreation Area".

The Garmins did not show this.

On the Garmins, there may or may not have been small blue blobs on the GPS map to indicate ponds located within the Ortonville State Rec Area. On my Lowrance, the ponds are indicated, as are the surrounding marsh/wetland areas as printed on the USGS map.

Maybe there is a different map set on GPSFileDepot that is more detailed that what me and my friend both independently found and loaded onto two different Garmins.

By the way, Delorme units also have access to the same high resolution digitized versions of the USGS maps. However, you need to pay the $30.00 / year to get access, download them through the DeLorme TOPO USA software, and push them down to the GPS. The backpacking club I belong to has 4 Delorme PN-40's, and I tested them side-by-side with my Lowrance up at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. The maps that come with the Delorme TOPO DVD are the basis vectorized types, but the ones downloaded from online are high resolution digitized USGS maps.

Which maps from GPSFileDepot?

Of course, YMMV, but I find the maps there to be better detailed than anything from Garmin, Lowrance, Magellen, etc.

Hello...I'm new to a used Endura Sierra. Im trying to update my software to v1.5.1 and i keep getting an error when i try to download the file. I have tried this on 5 different computers and get the same message: not a valid win32 application. I didn't know if anyone has tried the update lately. I know this has nothing to do with the gps itself but thought maybe the file was corrupt. I'm no computer ghuru so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark

The Out&Back is one of 3 models in the Endura line. There are several differences in the hardware, as well as the mapping, of each model. The link below shows the differences of the installed maps on each one. Amazon has some, but not all, of the regions for sale. Other online stores have them available as well. I found them to range in price from $80.00 to $149.00. (Most are about $100)

Mapping comparisons

Lowrance Lady....Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Hello...I'm new to a used Endura Sierra. Im trying to update my software to v1.5.1 and i keep getting an error when i try to download the file. I have tried this on 5 different computers and get the same message: not a valid win32 application. I didn't know if anyone has tried the update lately. I know this has nothing to do with the gps itself but thought maybe the file was corrupt. I'm no computer ghuru so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark

I have not experienced this issue yet. I have updated many Enduras using XP and Vista. Are you using Windows 7? I don't have 7 to test it, but I will check on this and get back to you.

Lowrance Lady....Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Mark

I have not experienced this issue yet. I have updated many Enduras using XP and Vista. Are you using Windows 7? I don't have 7 to test it, but I will check on this and get back to you.

Thanks so much. i tried it on my laptop with Vista and it worked. Although i don't think i was doing it right to begain with. Anyway i got it working Thanks again

Mark

Can you still return it and get a Garmin?

I have an Endura Sierra, and find it to be quite lacking, even with the latest firmware installed.

Finding newer, updated, quality maps ofr them is next to impossible.

However, there are so many good free mapping choices for Garmin units (visit GPSFileDepot.com) I sometimes am unsure which I want to use on any given day!

My best advice is to return the Lowrance and get a Garmin :)

I have been using these maps for a few months and have been very happy with them:

My link

Edited by ROlson

I was wondering if someone could tell me the trick behind this. I keep putting a .gpx file in the gpx folder but it never shows up when I go to "Find" and the "Geocache". Does it have to be a certain name? I have v1.5.9xxx, do I have to update?

Mark

I was wondering if someone could tell me the trick behind this. I keep putting a .gpx file in the gpx folder but it never shows up when I go to "Find" and the "Geocache". Does it have to be a certain name? I have v1.5.9xxx, do I have to update?

I see you are not a premium member. You are not able to download GPX files when using a non-premium member account. Non premium members can only load .loc files. I can provide you with a 30 day trial membership. If you private message me I will reply with the promo code and instructions. After you become a premium member you can load 1000 caches at a time by creating pocket queries. This is one of many benefits of being a p. m.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

I havent read this whole thread however here are the issues I am having with the 1.5.1a update on an Out&Back:

1) GPX files from GSAK DO load the are however placed under user defined waypoints instead of geocaches.

2) My battery meter no longer works properly

3) My touch screen no longer works at all.

I would try reinstalling but it doesnt let you. So far it seems i have a useless brick for the most part. Saddening because I really liked my Lowrance. The only real complaint I had was a lack of factory topo maps.

EDIT: I can confirm GSAK exported GPX ver1.0 files DO load correctly as geocaches. So for GSAK users who have this update you can use GPX exports as long as you remember to export V1.0

Edited by stargazerdood

I havent read this whole thread however here are the issues I am having with the 1.5.1a update on an Out&Back:

1) GPX files from GSAK DO load the are however placed under user defined waypoints instead of geocaches.

I would try reinstalling but it doesnt let you. So far it seems i have a useless brick for the most part. Saddening because I really liked my Lowrance. The only real complaint I had was a lack of factory topo maps.

EDIT: I can confirm GSAK exported GPX ver1.0 files DO load correctly as geocaches. So for GSAK users who have this update you can use GPX exports as long as you remember to export V1.0

Hi,

Couple of questions....How long have you had your O&B? Are you referring to the battery meter in the top right corner or the graphic that looks like a gas gauge? Do you hear the click when you touch the screen?

Re: your edit. Are you saying that your #1 issue is resolved? The same thing happens to me now and then, but not every time. It never happens when I drag n drop. Only when I use GSAK FILE>export>GPX/LOC. file. I hadn't figured out why I get geocaches sometimes and waypoints other times. Also, one time when I loaded 10 caches, 1 loaded as a Geocache and 9 as waypoints. I will test this with my O&B.

I have emailed one of my contacts at Lowrance about the non-responsive touchscreen issue, but I don't think it is curable. I will get back to you soon.

Lowrance Lady

Hi,

Couple of questions....How long have you had your O&B? Are you referring to the battery meter in the top right corner or the graphic that looks like a gas gauge? Do you hear the click when you touch the screen?

Re: your edit. Are you saying that your #1 issue is resolved? The same thing happens to me now and then, but not every time. It never happens when I drag n drop. Only when I use GSAK FILE>export>GPX/LOC. file. I hadn't figured out why I get geocaches sometimes and waypoints other times. Also, one time when I loaded 10 caches, 1 loaded as a Geocache and 9 as waypoints. I will test this with my O&B.

I have emailed one of my contacts at Lowrance about the non-responsive touchscreen issue, but I don't think it is curable. I will get back to you soon.

Lowrance Lady

Thanks for the reply. Ive had this unit for almost 2 years. Everything worked flawlessly before the update, I take very good care of the unit. As a matter of fact I had been toying with it getting ready to use it before I updated. After the update is when things went south.

The touch screen does not click.

As far as the battery meter yes this is the on screens upper right corner.

As for GSAK exports version 1.1 gpx files worked fine before the update, I always run pocket queries, import into gsak, then filter what I want and then export. Been doing it this way for quite some time. Now only the older gpx version 1.0 work. Ive never had import problems before.

Like I said, I was quite happy with my gps before the update.

I purchased a used Endura Sierra on eBay to use for geocaching (got it very cheap). It appears that it had very little use by the previous owner. It had a few saved trails and waypoints and the saved GPX files were all dated June 2009. I was able to update the software to 1.5.1a. I also loaded in a pocket query with 1000 caches and that looks good. Everything seems to work OK except the compass seems sort of flakey. I had a little trouble figuring out how to calibrate the compass, but finally did get it to say calibration was successful. But the compass still seems like it wanders around more than my Garmin does.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about using the Sierra for geocaching? Is there any reason to try to register this device with Lowrance? Where can I find the unit's serial number? I don't have the original box. I am familiar with Garmin, but this is my first experience with Lowrance.

I purchased a used Endura Sierra on eBay to use for geocaching (got it very cheap). It appears that it had very little use by the previous owner. It had a few saved trails and waypoints and the saved GPX files were all dated June 2009. I was able to update the software to 1.5.1a. I also loaded in a pocket query with 1000 caches and that looks good. Everything seems to work OK except the compass seems sort of flakey. I had a little trouble figuring out how to calibrate the compass, but finally did get it to say calibration was successful. But the compass still seems like it wanders around more than my Garmin does.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about using the Sierra for geocaching? Is there any reason to try to register this device with Lowrance? Where can I find the unit's serial number? I don't have the original box. I am familiar with Garmin, but this is my first experience with Lowrance.

If your unit has not been registered by a previous owner you can register it. But I have never had a rep ask me if I had registered it before they would help me. I would imagine that if you were covered under their 5 Year Advantage Service Plan they would check, but since you are not under warranty you wouldn't be eligible for it.

The serial number is located in the battery compartment. You will see it as soon as you take the cover off.

There have been issues with the accuracy of the compass. It usually gets accurate as you get closer to GZ. When I am using it in the car I don't have the directional issue that I have when I am walking. I watch the distance number and if it is getting smaller I know I am heading in the right direction. It does correct itself. Also, I use the pages button and go to the map, that is especially useful when we are on a trail with switchbacks.

Has Lowrance eliminated the Endura Sierra model from their lineup? I can't find it in the product listing on their website.

Because the Sierra was the highest price of the 3 Enduras they did not sell as many units so they decided not to have another run manufactured. They are still supported by their tech support department.

:mad:

If your unit has not been registered by a previous owner you can register it. But I have never had a rep ask me if I had registered it before they would help me. I would imagine that if you were covered under their 5 Year Advantage Service Plan they would check, but since you are not under warranty you wouldn't be eligible for it.

The serial number is located in the battery compartment. You will see it as soon as you take the cover off.

There have been issues with the accuracy of the compass. It usually gets accurate as you get closer to GZ. When I am using it in the car I don't have the directional issue that I have when I am walking. I watch the distance number and if it is getting smaller I know I am heading in the right direction. It does correct itself. Also, I use the pages button and go to the map, that is especially useful when we are on a trail with switchbacks.

Thanks Lowrance Lady for the additional information. I did find the serial number in the battery compartment and tried to register it, but the Lowrance site returns an "unknown serial number" error. It doesn't really matter as it appears there is nothing to be gained by registering this discontinued (obsolete?) device.

I have had the Sierra for a few weeks now and have taken it on a few geocaching excursions. It is OK as a "loaner" or backup which is what I bought it for. That said, it in no way measures up to my Garmin Oregon 550. The screen is harder to see than the Oregon in bright sun, although the backlight is stronger than the Oregon so it easier to read in bright overcast or shady conditions. I wish there was a way to increase the font size on text for cache descriptions, hints, etc. The geocaching functions work just fine and I have had no trouble loading in pocket queries, navigating the menus, uploading field notes and other caching functions. The touch screen requires a heavier touch than I am used to, and is sometimes hard to control on small icons and controls, but it is nice having the button interface as an alternative. Overall, I have been successful in using it for all typical geocaching activities.

My main complaint about the Sierra is the flakey compass. It is pretty accurate (after calibration) when standing still, but when moving it bounces all over the place. You have to stop for a few seconds for the heading and destination pointers to stabalize. It is usable, but annoying. I have also noticed that the compass as well distance to the cache seem to freeze when you get close to the cache (30 or 40 feet). The Garmin Oregon keeps changing continuously as you move toward the cache, no matter how close you are. I recently read somewhere in this forum about changing the navigation setting for "Destination Reached Message" to off. I made the change but haven't used it in the field yet so I don't know if that setting will improve the situation of the compass/distance freezing when near the cache.

It seems like Lowrance was on the right track with this unit. It is definitely better than the online reviews and reputation would have you believe. It is too bad that Lowrance has apparently abandoned this model series for further updates or development.

I haven't decided if I will keep the Sierra or try to sell it and go for another Garmin. When I go caching with my kids or grandson, they always want the Oregon so I get stuck with the Sierra! :mad: Oh well, I only paid $77 for it and it is in like-new condition. It does work as a backup device, so I guess I am not out too much.

I was wondering if the lowrancelady could check on why map select is not working. Spoke to CS two weeks ago and they told me they would let the server people know there is a problem. Still not up.

I have contacted Tech Support and when I get a reply I will post it here. If you don't have a watch on this topic it might be a good idea to put it on your watchlist.

LL

My Lowrance Endura Out&Back unit just stopped working.

To be precise, the whole unit works, but it can't get GPS fix anymore. The sattelites continue to be found and lost second or two later, and found and lost, and that's forever. Month ago it could eventually get a fix sometimes, which was lost after some time. Now, it seems it lost ability to fix forever. It seems for me that it's the internal GPS module is the thing that is broken. The rest of the unit (power supply, microprocessor, electronics, memory) are working just fine, applications are working without problems.

I haven't decide yet what to do with it. I own it for less than 2 years, so I could send it to the seller, and get money back. I bought it for about $140 (and this is what it's really worth, not more). But maybe, instead of that, I'll deassemble it and try to replace the GPS module with new one, some good MTK or SIRF3 unit. I think there are good chances it could work, if it's using NMEA for communication with Endura software.

I could also put electronic compass unit into it (it's not that expensive) but I'm not sure it's possible to reflash it with Sierra/Safari firmware. And Out&Back software doesn't know how to use the electronic compass anyway :).

Sending it to US to the Lowrance is not an option - the shipping costs would exceed the cost of the unit. But it would be great if the Lowrance technicians could give me some advice what kind of commercially available electronic GPS module (MTK or SIRF) would be a good replacement for the broken one from my Endura (it's probably an Nemerix chip, discontinued). I'm an electronic technician too, it's no problem for me to desolder the electronic module and replace it with similar one.

Or maybe they could tell that it won't work, because the communication is not by NMEA protocol....

If anyone had experienced similar problem - Endura GPS continously finding and losing sattelites and never actually getting a GPS fix, or only occassionaly/2D and losing it quickly, please tell me what was the cause and how it was fixed (probably just replaced with new unit...).

The problems had become to show up when I took the Endura onboard of the plane going from Gdansk to Oslo. It worked somewhat onboard, but lost the fix exactly after the plane has exceeded 10.000m altitude. After returning to Poland, I had great difficulties getting ANY lock on the ground, with clear skies. After week or two I tried it two more times and eventually it started working. After taking it onboard of a plane going to London, it worked a bit onboard but lost fix few minutes after take-off. It worked on the ground in London, although my feeling was that it's very unprecise. During return flight London-Gdansk, after getting a GPS fix on the ground before boarding it kept it in the air, and again it lost it exactly after reaching altitude of 10 thousands meters, so I think it's some kind of limiter in GPS module internal firmware. On the ground - I never got any STABLE GPX fix again. Satelites continously being found, the bars raising, only to disappear second or two later. Sometimes a 2D lock that was usually lost afer few seconds.

Basically, it doesn't work (find a position) anymore. If so, I will probably buy some Garmin, then.... but I'm curious what's the cause of the malfunction and if it's related to those two airplane flights :)

Edited by Amizaur

If you can get your money back from the seller, that is what I would do and put it towards a Garmin. I have a Lowrance Endurance Sierra and a Garmin Oregon 550T. The Oregon is superior to the Endura in every way.

I doubt if taking your Endura on an airplane caused the problem, but moving it a large distance between bootups can cause any GPS device to take a long time to acquire. Have you tried leaving it stationary with a clear view of the sky for an extended time (20 or 30 minutes)? If you do that, it may be able to rebuild the ephemeris data and get a lock. Once it has locked, it should acquire a lock more quickly the next time.

Incidentally, I am about ready to toss my Sierra. The power button has apparently broken off the system board. I felt it give way when I tried to power it on. I found that I can still boot it up by plugging it in briefly to the USB power, then quickly removing the cord. Then I have to turn off the power saving feature so it won't shut off or go into standby. The only way to shut it off is to pull the battery. So it is still usable, but a pain in the neck. Since it is a discontinued model, there is no hope of getting any support from Lowrance.

Edited by alandb

I have a lowrance Sierra that I have managed to shatter a corner of the touch screen. Is there a place to send for repair? How much am I looking at for the fix? Or am I just out a gps?

I wish you luck in finding a repair site. The On/Off button on my Sierra broke a couple of years ago. I checked with a couple of sites that do after-warranty repairs, but they wouldn't touch the Sierra. Even if you find someone who will repair it, it may not be worth the cost. It would probably be smarter to put the repair cost toward a replacement GPS. That said, let me know if you find a repair site. I still have my Sierra. It still works but I have to power it on using a quick connect to the USB, then set it to stay powered continuously. Edited by alandb