Lowrance Endura Support

$80.00 in store?? Is this part of a sale or something?

I just got this device and need something better than the stock maps, it would be nice if it had all the basic roads and streets i feel like I'm walking around in the middle of nowhere with this thing. I can also confirm that my device ($80 in store at Best Buy right now) came loaded up with 1.5.1 and did not include a coupon

I also would like someones views on how this would compare to an iPhone, I geocache in NYC and had issues with the tall buildings...im hoping that Endura O&B will be the fix.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for your input regarding the missing coupon. We are contacting Groundspeak to resolve this issue. (see my previous post)

About the maps that come installed on the O&B; I have a couple of suggestions, but there is additional cost to you. The Outdoor microSD cards for various regions of the US are available at some retailers, Amazon and at Navico.

We also have Mapselect, which is a tool that you can create your own map tile. This may be difficult for some to use, but it may be an option for you. They cover a much smaller area but are very affordable.

You can find them at mapselect

I will PM you with additional information.

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions and for looking into the codes. It was a weird message when I tried to enter it. Something about the boolean being wrong.

I wanted to add that I got my Out and Back at Best Buy for 80 dollars on Saturday. Quite a deal I think. I took it out for its first cache a little while ago and it worked great. I am really happy with it.

Tnks for the imput on maps. I allready ordered the accuterra W online, had to have it. Should do me just fine.

I had the exact error message as previous post when trying to use free months trial code included with safari purchased from GSHQ.

Glad the problem isn't on my end. If you have a promo code that works I'd take it.

Tnks Lowrance Lady

Tnks for the imput on maps. I allready ordered the accuterra W online, had to have it. Should do me just fine.

I had the exact error message as previous post when trying to use free months trial code included with safari purchased from GSHQ.

Glad the problem isn't on my end. If you have a promo code that works I'd take it.

Tnks Lowrance Lady

As soon as Lowrance hears from Groundspeak regarding a resolution to the promo code problem I will send promo codes to everyone that has notified me via a forum post.

Tnks Lowrance Lady

As soon as Lowrance hears from Groundspeak regarding a resolution to the promo code problem I will send promo codes to everyone that has notified me via a forum post.

Excellent-BTW my Safari ROCKS! Long overdue, :)

Hi there, I was directed here by Taboo8614.

We are new to Geocaching (former letterboxers) and I just bought my first GPS device, a Lowrance Endura Out&Back, from Best Buy for $80. I have no experience at all with any other GPS.

I've had some problems while Geocaching with accuracy in feet to cache. The GPS will get us to the general location but seems to be all over the place when it comes to getting us right to the cache. With one cache we found the GPS said we were still 40 feet away. The cache was in its correct location, not misplaced.

Also my GPS came with the 1.4 version, when I went to upgrade to 1.5 I used a usb cable and put in a brand new SD card in the GPS to use the GPS as the card reader. I followed the directions to remove the usb cable and the SD card, then reboot the GPS and put the SD card back in, at this point the GPS is suppose to instruct you on how to complete the installation.....but I got nothing. The upgrade shows up in the GPS when I have it hooked up to the laptop with the usb cable but it is not installed because it still shows as having version 1.4.

Any information on these 2 issues? I would really appreciate the help....thank you!!! Also would love to get a promo code for the 30 day premium membership too as mine didn't come with a code either...thanks!

Tnks Lowrance Lady

My original Safari unit came from Best Buy. I didn't have a promo code either. Was one supposed to be in the box?

This is the 4th unit. I think there are a couple of problems but I am going to wait them out and see if they worsen. Thanks for the help

We are new to Geocaching (former letterboxers) and I just bought my first GPS device, a Lowrance Endura Out&Back, from Best Buy for $80. I have no experience at all with any other GPS.

I've had some problems while Geocaching with accuracy in feet to cache. The GPS will get us to the general location but seems to be all over the place when it comes to getting us right to the cache. With one cache we found the GPS said we were still 40 feet away. The cache was in its correct location, not misplaced.

Also my GPS came with the 1.4 version, when I went to upgrade to 1.5 I used a usb cable and put in a brand new SD card in the GPS to use the GPS as the card reader. I followed the directions to remove the usb cable and the SD card, then reboot the GPS and put the SD card back in, at this point the GPS is suppose to instruct you on how to complete the installation.....but I got nothing. The upgrade shows up in the GPS when I have it hooked up to the laptop with the usb cable but it is not installed because it still shows as having version 1.4.

Any information on these 2 issues? I would really appreciate the help....thank you!!! Also would love to get a promo code for the 30 day premium membership too as mine didn't come with a code either...thanks!

Check your Navigation Setting...

Settings>Navigation>Destination Reached>Off. Remember if it shows Off when you get to the final step, don't touch the screen.

If it shows On your GPSr will stop navigating at about 40 ft.

Also, don't expect your GPSr to get you to GZ (Ground Zero), consider 10 feet as a good outcome. It is nice when you see 0-7 feet, but in fact, you may be 10-20 ft away.

As for the upgrade question---I don't use a USB Cable, so I have to refer to the instructions on the Lowrance website, as you probably did. So....let's assume that neither one of us has read the instructions. I will take away all non-essential words from the instructions.

1. Click on the Endura 1.5.1 update link.

2. I save the software update to my desktop. Then I unzip the file by right clicking and selecting "extract" and saving it to my desktop.

3. Do not turn on your Out&Back until after you insert the MicroSD card into the card slot. Make sure it is all the way in. (I always use a blank card). DO NOT TURN ON YOUR UNIT YET.

Connect your O&B to your pc using the USB cable. Your O&B will power on and your PC will recognize the MicroSD card.

4. Select and copy the extracted .exe file to your SD Card.

5. Unplug the USB cable and make sure the O&B is off. Do not remove the SD Card.

6. Reconnect your USB cable. Your O&B should power on and the update will automatically begin installing. Follow the prompts. (I have installed many software updates to my 6 Enduras, sometimes I got prompts and other times I didn't.) It should not take long.

7. Once it is complete the screen should say "Press any key to continue"

8. Disconnect the USB Cable and remove the SD Card. Restart the unit. It will reboot.

I know that these are pretty elementary instructions, but I have found that taking out extraneous verbiage is helpful.

If the download is successful, it will load and you will see the Language Selection Screen.

Now you can check to see that your O&B has version 1.5.95881 (which is actually 1.5.1) Power on and hold down the Menu Button.

If there is anything in these steps that you don't understand, or aren't working for you please let me know.

Once I hear from Groundspeak regarding the 30 day trial Premium Membership coupons I will PM you with a Promo Access code.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Thank you so much for writing....I will try what you suggest! I'll write to let you know the outcome.

Settings>Navigation>Destination Reached>Off. Remember if it shows Off when you get to the final step, don't touch the screen.

Also, don't expect your GPSr to get you to GZ (Ground Zero), consider 10 feet as a good outcome. It is nice when you see 0-7 feet, but in fact, you may be 10-20 ft away.

As for the upgrade question---I don't use a USB Cable, so I have to refer to the instructions on the Lowrance website, as you probably did. So....let's assume that neither one of us has read the instructions. I will take away all non-essential words from the instructions.

2. I save the software update to my desktop. Then I unzip the file by right clicking and selecting "extract" and saving it to my desktop.

3. Do not turn on your Out&Back until after you insert the MicroSD card into the card slot. Make sure it is all the way in. (I always use a blank card). DO NOT TURN ON YOUR UNIT YET.

Connect your O&B to your pc using the USB cable. Your O&B will power on and your PC will recognize the MicroSD card.

5. Unplug the USB cable and make sure the O&B is off. Do not remove the SD Card.

6. Reconnect your USB cable. Your O&B should power on and the update will automatically begin installing. Follow the prompts. (I have installed many software updates to my 6 Enduras, sometimes I got prompts and other times I didn't.) It should not take long.

8. Disconnect the USB Cable and remove the SD Card. Restart the unit. It will reboot.

I know that these are pretty elementary instructions, but I have found that taking out extraneous verbiage is helpful.

If the download is successful, it will load and you will see the Language Selection Screen.

Now you can check to see that your O&B has version 1.5.95881 (which is actually 1.5.1) Power on and hold down the Menu Button.

If there is anything in these steps that you don't understand, or aren't working for you please let me know.

Once I hear from Groundspeak regarding the 30 day trial Premium Membership coupons I will PM you with a Promo Access code.

I am not sure why you would need to contact Lowrance on current GPX format. They are public information and everyone uses the same. Try here

http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp

I know what the current gpx format is (gpx 1.1, and vendors have their own extensions).

However, the Lowrance created .gpx files sent to me from a Lowarance employee are gpx 1.0

that was superceded in 2004 and the route file contained waypoints and not routepoints as per standard usage.

Not having a current era Lowrance unit, I can't generate them on my own to view the extensions.

Part of my translation is mapping track/route colors as well as symbols.

Was hoping to get information that should be easily available.

Has there been any further investigation into the cursor not correctly indicating direction of travel when geocaching and frequently changing direction?

I see the this problem on my Out & Back with the latest firmware. I don't recall seeing it with some of the earlier firmware revisions. M

My iFinder H20 now seems to work better in this regard.

Has there been any further investigation into the cursor not correctly indicating direction of travel when geocaching and frequently changing direction?

I see the this problem on my Out & Back with the latest firmware. I don't recall seeing it with some of the earlier firmware revisions. M

My iFinder H20 now seems to work better in this regard.

I have had 4 safari units so far. One of them was replaced for just that reason. The navigation arrow was acting like it was drunk. On that unit the battery indicator was also very inconsistent. I don't remember if I had upgraded to the latest firmware on that one. The current unit is much better though.

I also wonder if a couple of my concerns I voiced earlier are being addressed. These two things are actually deal breakers for me. I love my h20c and have tried to love this one but can't.

1. Sort Geocaches By Name---This is extremely frustrating that there is no method to spell the names. Many caches start with the word "The" and when having only a few hundred caches loaded let alone the 4000 that it is capable of handing it is extremely cumbersome to find to say the least. Scrolling is not fast enough and many times results in bringing up an unwanted cache page when using the touch screen and using the buttons really takes forever. The last time I cached with this unit I only loaded 125 caches for just this reason. It sort of defeats the purpose of being able to handle 4000 caches.

2. Ability to edit the coords on the cache so that new coords for the puzzles and multi caches can be entered. Right now a new waypoint has to be set and enter the coords there. Then to mark as found have to back out of the waypoint page and search again to find the geocache and then mark as found. By the time this is done caching partners are down the trail

Both of these two things were available on the H20c and I have a hard time believing that this next generation gps units lost that capability. Did geocachers actually beta test the units before they were released?

Another one that is more of an annoyance is that the microSD card has to be removed to load the unit. It would be nice if it could be left in place and the unit be seen by the computer as two mass storage disks.

I also think that it is pretty funny that you still can't sort by event. You can sort by Wherigo which this unit isn't capable of finding but not just plain old event.

Edited by LadyBee4T

I really don't think Lowrance field tested these units geocaching, maybe hiking. If real geocachers had tested these units they would had never been sold to the public. The units I have sent back all had lazy pointer issues and it's still a problem today with the third one they sent me... I took it out of the box put batteries in, tested it and it too had the lazy pointer problem so I took the batteries out, put it back in the box and put it into storage... I really don't see Lowrance staying in the geocaching hobby. Magellan Tritons are having Vantage Point problems uploading Geocaching.com gpx files and freezing the units up... About the only manufacture I have seen making progress with the lazy pointer issues is Garmin with frequent firmware updates... The firmware updates work best if you turn the Russian Sats off, then Etrex 20 works great like a geocacher would expect. For some reason with Best Buy dumping the Lowrance Out&Back for $80.00 has to be sending people a message. Some day there will be a manufacture that will print on their boxes... Made by geocachers for geocachers in the USA.

Edited by gtojerry

Agreed LadyBee4T.

I keep a MicroSD card in the unit containing topo maps, because I also do a lot of hiking, and like to see the topos. It's a pain to require removing of the card in order to upload Geocaches or waypoint files. Out backpacking/outdoors club owns 4 Delorme PN-40 units. They have a menu options that allows the user to specify what happens when the GPS is connected to a PC: access the SD card, access the internal memory, or act like a GPS sending NMEA data. Nice feature.

The H2O also has "find closest", which I think is also missing from the Endura units. Nothing but an alphabetical list, or I have to go to the map and hunt around to find the next closest waypoint or GC.

Do the Sierra or Safari models also suffer from the pointer problem? I'm just wondering if the software bug is related to the lack of an electronic compass in the Out&Back or not.

On a positive note, I was out hiking this weekend with a friend who owns an eTrex 20. His unit took significantly longer to warm up and get a satellite lock than my Out&Back did. He also seemed to be quite about 50 feet off on the 1st waypoint we went to. After the eTrex 20 "warmed up" more, and after he changed the screen orientation to "North Up", things got better for him.

Agreed LadyBee4T.

The H2O also has "find closest", which I think is also missing from the Endura units. Nothing but an alphabetical list, or I have to go to the map and hunt around to find the next closest waypoint or GC.

Do the Sierra or Safari models also suffer from the pointer problem? I'm just wondering if the software bug is related to the lack of an electronic compass in the Out&Back or not.

On a positive note, I was out hiking this weekend with a friend who owns an eTrex 20. His unit took significantly longer to warm up and get a satellite lock than my Out&Back did. He also seemed to be quite about 50 feet off on the 1st waypoint we went to. After the eTrex 20 "warmed up" more, and after he changed the screen orientation to "North Up", things got better for him.

I have a safari and it can sort both "by distance" and "by name". I assume that the out & back can also do that. Just in case you haven't found that feature here are the steps:

On main menu select Find --> Geocaches --> Show filtered list

You should now have a list of the caches you have loaded. Then in the lower left corner select

Filter Options. The third option down is Order. That will sort either by distance or name. If you see name in that slot highlight it and it will toggle to distance. That will be much easier than going back to the map each time.

On this page when you sort by type is where I laugh at the choices. No event but it does have Wherigo.

I went out recently with both the Safari and a garmin Montana. The montana boots with a lock in about 15 seconds and the safari maybe a minute and 15 seconds. I've never timed it but it is a significant amount of time. Anyway approaching the cache the safari was more accurate faster and led straight to the cache but after a bit both of them had the same distance to the cache. That seems similar to your experience.

As I have said the pointer on this particular unit doesn't seem to have much of a problem. Yes it jumps around but I did't think it was much different than the montana that I went out with last week when comparing the two side by side. The one that I returned there was NO WAY I could have followed that to a cache as at times it even went around in circles. I trust the unit that I have now but as I said above the two items listed there are definite deal breakers for me. There are other annoyances and some positives too but I can't/won't recommend this to everyone like I did for the h20c

A friend of mine who bought the h20c on my recommendation also got a safari. He had problems with the pointer and had his replaced by lowrance. He said that recently he started having a "gas gauge" like screen come up at boot right after the safari screen comes up. It shows the tank at "E" and not full. LOL I've never seen that screen at all and sure enough he showed me and there it was both with and without the microSD can in. He has no idea what he did to get that screen or how to remove it. Anybody else have it happen to them and know how to get rid of it? I know that there are undocumented features on the h20c like the speedometer view but haven't seen any listed for the endura series.

A friend of mine who bought the h20c on my recommendation also got a safari. He had problems with the pointer and had his replaced by lowrance. He said that recently he started having a "gas gauge" like screen come up at boot right after the safari screen comes up. It shows the tank at "E" and not full. LOL I've never seen that screen at all and sure enough he showed me and there it was both with and without the microSD can in. He has no idea what he did to get that screen or how to remove it. Anybody else have it happen to them and know how to get rid of it? I know that there are undocumented features on the h20c like the speedometer view but haven't seen any listed for the endura series.

I believe that the "gas gauge" like screen that has been referred to is actually the warning that you have reached the Current Trail limit of 10,000 pts. This was a v1.5 enhancement. Prior to that there was no indicator to let you know if you had reached the maximum.

To delete your current trail and disable it ---

To remove current tracks/trails... Go to --- Find>Trails>Current Trail>More options>Reset

That will remove the tracks, but you will be begin a new trail unless you disable "Trail Settings".

To Disable ... Go to --- Settings>Trail Settings>Disable

Hi there, Ok, I tried what you suggested and these were the same steps I took before to try to download the 1.5.1 update. The problem is, the update is on the SD card but the O&B GPS unit will not load the update. When I reconnect the USB cable (step 6 you listed below) the update does not automatically begin installing.....nothing happens....no prompts, nothing. When I hold down the menu button to check to see if the upgrade took it shows that it did not. Any other advice? Thanks!

Also when I attempt to extract the 1.5.1 download I get an error reading that says it is "not a valid Win32 application" So I don't know what to do with that either.

Thank you so much for writing....I will try what you suggest! I'll write to let you know the outcome.

Edited by karen13

Also when I attempt to extract the 1.5.1 download I get an error reading that says it is "not a valid Win32 application" So I don't know what to do with that either.

I believe that the "gas gauge" like screen that has been referred to is actually the warning that you have reached the Current Trail limit of 10,000 pts. This was a v1.5 enhancement. Prior to that there was no indicator to let you know if you had reached the maximum.

To delete your current trail and disable it ---

To remove current tracks/trails... Go to --- Find>Trails>Current Trail>More options>Reset

That will remove the tracks, but you will be begin a new trail unless you disable "Trail Settings".

To Disable ... Go to --- Settings>Trail Settings>Disable

Hi,

Groundspeak figured out why Lowrance users were having trouble using the Promo Code for the Trial Membership. So I am PMing everyone that mentioned in their posts that they did not receive a 30 day free trial Premium Membership coupon in their Endura box or that tried the promo code and got an error message. If you don't receive an email from me please PM me and I will get back to you. You can also PM me if you haven't posted that you didn't receive the coupon and I will see that you get the promo code.

Thanks for your patience.

Penny

Hi,

Groundspeak figured out why Lowrance users were having trouble using the Promo Code for the Trial Membership. So I am PMing everyone that mentioned in their posts that they did not receive a 30 day free trial Premium Membership coupon in their Endura box or that tried the promo code and got an error message. If you don't receive an email from me please PM me and I will get back to you. You can also PM me if you haven't posted that you didn't receive the coupon and I will see that you get the promo code.

Penny

That is great news. I really appreciate that you stuck in there with figuring out what was wrong. You are great for helping people out on here all the time.

:edit: I just tried out the code you sent me awhile ago but no dice lol. Same message. I think it's just me haha.

Edited by cycowolf

Hi,

Penny

That is great news. I really appreciate that you stuck in there with figuring out what was wrong. You are great for helping people out on here all the time.

:edit: I just tried out the code you sent me awhile ago but no dice lol. Same message. I think it's just me haha.

I am sending you a new number. I wish I could test them before I send. I took this promo code from a coupon rather than the list that Groundspeak sent me. I tested one of them on my non-premium membership and it worked fine.

Edited by Lowrance Lady

Howdy All-New Safari owner

Updated to latest software version today. Stock map isn't going to make it.

Need some advice and or links for better map for my Safari.

Looking for one all purpose addon that handles secondary streets/parks/trails.

Preloaded on sd card would be good.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Tnks in advance.

I just got this device and need something better than the stock maps, it would be nice if it had all the basic roads and streets i feel like I'm walking around in the middle of nowhere with this thing. I can also confirm that my device ($80 in store at Best Buy right now) came loaded up with 1.5.1 and did not include a coupon

I also would like someones views on how this would compare to an iPhone, I geocache in NYC and had issues with the tall buildings...im hoping that Endura O&B will be the fix.

Thanks for any help

I am sending you a Private Message with a promo code for a 30 day free trial premium membership. (it will extend your existing membership by 30 days as well)

Tnks Lowrance Lady

I am PMing you a Promo Code for the Premium Membership 30 day free trial.

I am sending you a Private Message with a promo code for a 30 day free trial premium membership. (it will extend your existing membership by 30 days as well)

I am forwarding this to Tech Support at Lowrance. Hopefully they can give us some helpful advice.

Hi there, Ok, I tried what you suggested and these were the same steps I took before to try to download the 1.5.1 update. The problem is, the update is on the SD card but the O&B GPS unit will not load the update. When I reconnect the USB cable (step 6 you listed below) the update does not automatically begin installing.....nothing happens....no prompts, nothing. When I hold down the menu button to check to see if the upgrade took it shows that it did not. Any other advice? Thanks!

Plug in your GPS unit and copy the file over to your formatted card. when this is done copying unplug your unit from the computer and turn it off. when it shuts off turn it back on and let it run its course. this will take abou 5 minutes to load onto your unit. You will have to put your card into a reader or some other kind of unit to format it again so that your unit doesn't kepp trying to load the update on the unit.

Does anyone use GSAK to load geocaches onto their GPS units? I was recently at a geocaching event and the temporary caches that were hidden were put onto GSAK. when they tried to load up my Safari there was only one cache that showed up. We looked on the internet trying to find a way to get the caches to load up but to no avail. I ended up having to use a Garmin GPSMAP60. Not that I didn't know how to use it but it wasn't mine or what i am used to using. Any help withthis would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone use GSAK to load geocaches onto their GPS units? I was recently at a geocaching event and the temporary caches that were hidden were put onto GSAK. when they tried to load up my Safari there was only one cache that showed up. We looked on the internet trying to find a way to get the caches to load up but to no avail. I ended up having to use a Garmin GPSMAP60. Not that I didn't know how to use it but it wasn't mine or what i am used to using. Any help withthis would be greatly appreciated.

I've never used gsak to load my unit so I'd be interested in finding a method too. A friend of mine told me he had figured it out but since I don't use gsak I didn't press him to find out how. At the last event I went to they had the temp/new caches in both gsak and also a gpx file. I loaded the gpx file straight to the safari and was good to go. I wonder if a gsak gpx file meant for a garmin could be loaded to a microSD?

Some folks just drag and drop their PQ's into their Enduras. I use GSAK and drag n drop, depends on whether I want to filter the file further or if I am downloading to my NUVI at the same time.

So to answer your question. I am assuming that you have a pocket query created and you downloaded it to GSAK. So we will go from that point.

1. In GSAK go to File>Export>GPX/LOCfile.

2. In the Create File Box make sure that the radio button for GPX file is on.

3. Create a file name, i.e. C:\Users\your name\Desktop\GPXfiles.gpx or

C:\users\your name \Documents\GPXfiles.gpx

For example, this is the path that I use C:\Users\LowranceLady\desktop\GPXfiles.gpx

(I use my desktop, but others make a document folder for GSAK or a folder for every Database in GSAK.)

4. Connect your Safari to the computer (remove any SD card that may be inserted)and when you see that mass storage has connected, open

the Endura's GPX folder and drag the GPX file from your desktop or document folder to the open Endura GPX folder.

5. Disconnect your GPS. It will stay on and the splash screen will come on. From the MENU>Find>Geocaches>. After it indexes the

geocaches you should see your caches from the GSAK file.

If there is something here that you don't understand or that I can clarify please let me know.

Lowrance Lady

Some folks just drag and drop their PQ's into their Enduras. I use GSAK and drag n drop, depends on whether I want to filter the file further or if I am downloading to my NUVI at the same time.

So to answer your question. I am assuming that you have a pocket query created and you downloaded it to GSAK. So we will go from that point.

For example, this is the path that I use C:\Users\LowranceLady\desktop\GPXfiles.gpx

(I use my desktop, but others make a document folder for GSAK or a folder for every Database in GSAK.)

4. Connect your Safari to the computer (remove any SD card that may be inserted)and when you see that mass storage has connected, open

the Endura's GPX folder and drag the GPX file from your desktop or document folder to the open Endura GPX folder.

5. Disconnect your GPS. It will stay on and the splash screen will come on. From the MENU>Find>Geocaches>. After it indexes the

If there is something here that you don't understand or that I can clarify please let me know.

Lowrance Lady

Lowrance lady,

What you describe here is what we did at the Spring Fling event that I recently went to. Out of the 185 temporary caches that were placed at the event only 1 cache was showing up on my unit. We tried several different times of loading the file into the gpx file on the unit then delteing the file and reloading it. time after time we were only getting 1 cache to show up (which by coincedence was the same exact cache). I personally have never used GSAK but would like to use it if it would make loading my Safari with multiple caches easier as the team I cache with will make a 4 part PQ and load 1 part on each unit.

Lowrance Lady

Lowrance lady,

What you describe here is what we did at the Spring Fling event that I recently went to. Out of the 185 temporary caches that were placed at the event only 1 cache was showing up on my unit. We tried several different times of loading the file into the gpx file on the unit then delteing the file and reloading it. time after time we were only getting 1 cache to show up (which by coincedence was the same exact cache). I personally have never used GSAK but would like to use it if it would make loading my Safari with multiple caches easier as the team I cache with will make a 4 part PQ and load 1 part on each unit.

GSAK states that it doesn't communicate with Lowrance units directly but can generate usr files that I used on my old h20c. That's why I wondered if a gpx file from the garmin output could be put on a micrSD card. At the last event I attended though they did have the gpx file on their desktop from caches that had not yet been published. The first computer transfer didn't work for the safari or the montana but using a different guy's computer we were able to get the files on both and had all the caches loaded. I'll see if I can find out from him how he copied them on to his computer. I think the one computer didn't load the file right as it was having a hard time with the oregons too.

You say they were temporary caches. To me that means that they weren't published on gc.com, since grondspeak hide guidelines don't allow the publishing of "temporary" or event only caches. So those caches would be waypoints. I am working from my smartphone, (and not very good with it yet), so when I get home tonight I will give you more info.

You say they were temporary caches. To me that means that they weren't published on gc.com, since grondspeak hide guidelines don't allow the publishing of "temporary" or event only caches. So those caches would be waypoints. I am working from my smartphone, (and not very good with it yet), so when I get home tonight I will give you more info.

The event that I recently attended the caches were unpublished but were loaded on the units using gsak or to my lowrance using a gpx file on the desktop. The FTF were raffled off at the event and the caches were published the next day.

Just got the Lowrance Endura, v. 1.5.9xxx. Saw there was an upgrade to 1.5.1, but my interpretation is that I have to have an SD card, it can't be upgraded by connecting it directly to the computer. Correct?

The complete version # for 1.5.1 is v. 1.5.95881. If not then, yes, you need a microSD card to upgrade. Since you state that your came with Endura v. 1.5.9xxx I am not sure if it is 1.5 (1.5.94843) or 1.5.1. Here is the link for the instructions: Endura 1.59881.

This is the same problem that we were having loading my Safari at spring fling. we tried 4 different laptops and none of them would load more than the one "temporary" cache.

The event that I recently attended the caches were unpublished but were loaded on the units using gsak or to my lowrance using a gpx file on the desktop. The FTF were raffled off at the event and the caches were published the next day.

This is the same problem that we were having loading my Safari at spring fling. we tried 4 different laptops and none of them would load more than the one "temporary" cache.

The first laptop we tried would not load to the endura, an oregon or the montana. We then tried another laptop. When I wrote that post I thought that they had loaded ok to the endura because I thought I had used the endura for caching that day. I realized I didn't use it and instead used the montana so I went back and checked the endura. It only had two caches from the event in it....

I am on vacation and hope to be at the Lowrance Tech Center next week. I will be asking questions that I frequently get and this will be one of them. Although I don't have this particular problem, I am not the GSAK person in our group. At events there are usually 3 or 4 club members that enter the waypoints and download to the units that they are familiar with. So when I get to Tulsa to meet with Lowrance I will have the answer to your post.

I am on vacation and hope to be at the Lowrance Tech Center next week. I will be asking questions that I frequently get and this will be one of them. Although I don't have this particular problem, I am not the GSAK person in our group. At events there are usually 3 or 4 club members that enter the waypoints and download to the units that they are familiar with. So when I get to Tulsa to meet with Lowrance I will have the answer to your post.

Great!! Ask them too about sorting by name--by spelling since the scrolling is so slow when a lot of caches are loaded. I also have a hard time believing that they never picked up that you can't sort by event. The ability to edit the cache coords or enter a "next stage" is also very important for multicaches.

I wish that I had been able to beta test the endura. I would have raised several geocaching questions. Thanks for your work on this!

I have had my Out and Back for a while know and that what I have found about mine.

I have noticed the pointer being confused at times, never a problem when driving but can be a problem when you stop. I think it is more of a problem when you have it selected for track up as opposed to North up. The topos you can get are very good. I have the mid west version. It more than makes up for the crappy base map.

I use mine for off-roading, not geocaching, but this forum is very good for help. I also have an older Garmin Etrex Legend. The reason I don't use that anymore is because the small size of the screen and it is more of a PIA to use the Out and Back, other than that is is a great unit. I think my Garmin is quicker getting get a signal.

For me the large buttons and easy to read touch screen make it possible me to use the GPS without my reading classes. For off-roading it is a very good GPS.

Edited by ROlson

I thought about this problem again and realized I have been to 3 events where the caches were loaded there. For each one the caches were not yet published and were being made available to the event attendees first as the FTFs were raffled off. The events were officially published the next day. For each event there were about 40 of these caches. The caches were in their gsak files and also a gpx file on the desktop. They were using about 3 laptops to load everyone quickly.

The first event was Jan 1. The first attempt at loading didn't work so I went to a different laptop and then it worked. All we did was take the desktop gpx file and copy it into the lowrance folder. The next event was in March and that one worked the first time. However the last event in May did not work at all. I am known here as one of the very few with a Lowrance and the guys who do the loading have me show them how each time so if it is anybody's error it is mine. It is really annoying though when it doesn't work and the caches have to loaded manually--especially when you are going out with a few friends on the cache run.

GSAK says it doesn't support the endura series directly. I don't understand that because I thought a gpx file was a gpx file. Of course since I don't use gsak it's not really surprising that I don't understand some of the intricacies of it.

Yes all GPX files are the same, it's the manufactures hand-shaking programming language between the GPS and GPS program you're using that is different. You will notice when you're using Easy GPS for instance you have to pick the GPS you want the GPX file written too. Too bad there's not an industry transfer standard, I got tired of taking out my topo card to upload pocket quarys, add to it the lazy pointer and distance issues and ended up selling my Out&Back.

Yes all GPX files are the same, it's the manufactures hand-shaking programming language between the GPS and GPS program you're using that is different. You will notice when you're using Easy GPS for instance you have to pick the GPS you want the GPX file written too. Too bad there's not an industry transfer standard, I got tired of taking out my topo card to upload pocket quarys, add to it the lazy pointer and distance issues and ended up selling my Out&Back.

NO, Garmin GPX files are different from Lowarance are different from Magellan!

(additionally, Lowrance does not use the same GPX format standard that everyone has been using for the last 8 years.) (based on files provided to me by Lowrance)

Basic items like waypoint having lat long & ele are the same

Vendors have proprietary extensions to add other information.

Each vendor has their own header information pointing to their schema.

Most vendors use a symbol name to refer to icons for waypoints,

Lowrance uses a table look up scheme, the same symbol may appear in multiple rows!

Symbol names for the other vendors match on very few.

e.g, for "Park" Garmin, "Evergreen Tree" DeLorme, "Park Recreation" Magellan, "Tree" Lowrance

"Campground" Garmin, "Tent" DeLorme, "Campground" or "Camping" Magellan, "Camp Site" Lowrance

(The GPX info for Lowrance provides a row & col, not the symbol name shown, that is from lookup.)

Most applications only use the base/common information and ignore extensions.

Symbols provide very useful information, a shame that they aren't usable on other vendors units.

(Symbol sets also can very between different model series within a vendor.)

That's why I wrote a table driven translation app to do the conversion including track & route colors.

It also converts to Google Earth KML using their placemark symbols or a 269 icon set.

It doesn't currently handle geocaches though..... so I haven't looked into how they are handled between the vendors.

DeLorme separates theirs by symbol name, don't know about the others.

App vendors write the appropriate headers for the destination GPS if they want to provide more than basic information.

Just got an out and back the other day, updated the software to the latest version and I am pleased at the features and the performance of the unit so far but the stock maps are junk. I am wondering how I can update the maps. My neighborhood has been around for a decade and yet the maps show no streets in my neighborhood. The surprising thing about the issue is that the park in my neighborhood is listed as a POI on the unit!

So I have 2 questions I have are as follows:

1.) How can I upgrade the stock maps to show more accurate information?

2.) I would like to add maps to this unit that show accurate information for various National forest services. Basically I would like to get rid of the stack of forest service maps I have for the places I frequent. Is this possible?

This is the first GPS unit I have ever owned so I am starting from scratch. I am posting here as I have spent the better part of my free time for the past few days looking online for this information and I couldn't seem to find anything. Feel free to PM me or post here for all to see. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Edited by Texas Hooligan

Just got an out and back the other day, updated the software to the latest version and I am pleased at the features and the performance of the unit so far but the stock maps are junk. I am wondering how I can update the maps. My neighborhood has been around for a decade and yet the maps show no streets in my neighborhood. The surprising thing about the issue is that the park in my neighborhood is listed as a POI on the unit!

2.) I would like to add maps to this unit that show accurate information for various National forest services. Basically I would like to get rid of the stack of forest service maps I have for the places I frequent. Is this possible?

This is the first GPS unit I have ever owned so I am starting from scratch. I am posting here as I have spent the better part of my free time for the past few days looking online for this information and I couldn't seem to find anything. Feel free to PM me or post here for all to see. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Can you still return it and get a Garmin?

I have an Endura Sierra, and find it to be quite lacking, even with the latest firmware installed.

Finding newer, updated, quality maps ofr them is next to impossible.

However, there are so many good free mapping choices for Garmin units (visit GPSFileDepot.com) I sometimes am unsure which I want to use on any given day!

My best advice is to return the Lowrance and get a Garmin :)

Can you still return it and get a Garmin?

I have an Endura Sierra, and find it to be quite lacking, even with the latest firmware installed.

Finding newer, updated, quality maps ofr them is next to impossible.

However, there are so many good free mapping choices for Garmin units (visit GPSFileDepot.com) I sometimes am unsure which I want to use on any given day!

My best advice is to return the Lowrance and get a Garmin :)

Oh man that sucks to hear. I got this as a gift from my wife and I really don't want to return it as she was all proud if herself for getting me something cool and out if the box. I am committed to getting this thing working if at all possible.