Lowrance Endura Support

Hello. Well I just purchased a Safari to coincide with our rejoining the geocaching hobby after 6 years. It has 1.5.9xxxx installed from the factory and has a Northeast TOPO card installed as well. I certainly like the paperless caching functionality and although I'm still getting used to it, I have come across a couple bugs that the Lowrance developers should look into.

1. When changing the zoom level, geocaches are present at 6mi but disappear at 3mi and then they reappear at 1.8 mi. This is 100% reproducible whether approaching the 3mi scale from above or below.

2. The scrolling of the cursor across the map is very "clunky", it doesn't seem to track in a very controlled manner.

Hopefully the Lowrance tech folks watch this site to help with product improvement ideas from the user community.

Hi there,

There are 2 1.5.9xxxx versions. 1.5 = 1.5.94843 and 1.5.1 = 1.5.95881. If you have the first one, you will need to install the second at the link below.

Most of the units have shipped with 1.5, because the retailers had them in stock prior to the update.

To install the update you will need to have an empty formatted, or new microSD card.

I hope this helps.

Endura v 1.5.1 update

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to keep the facts on Endura correct.

Hello. Well I just purchased a Safari to coincide with our rejoining the geocaching hobby after 6 years. It has 1.5.9xxxx installed from the factory and has a Northeast TOPO card installed as well. I certainly like the paperless caching functionality and although I'm still getting used to it, I have come across a couple bugs that the Lowrance developers should look into.

1. When changing the zoom level, geocaches are present at 6mi but disappear at 3mi and then they reappear at 1.8 mi. This is 100% reproducible whether approaching the 3mi scale from above or below.

2. The scrolling of the cursor across the map is very "clunky", it doesn't seem to track in a very controlled manner.

Hopefully the Lowrance tech folks watch this site to help with product improvement ideas from the user community.

Hi there,

There are 2 1.5.9xxxx versions. 1.5 = 1.5.94843 and 1.5.1 = 1.5.95881. If you have the first one, you will need to install the second at the link below.

Most of the units have shipped with 1.5, because the retailers had them in stock prior to the update.

To install the update you will need to have an empty formatted, or new microSD card.

I hope this helps.

Endura v 1.5.1 update

Lowrance Lady. Thanks for your reply! I installed the upgrade to 1.5.1a (1.5.95881)as suggested. This did seem to improve the cursor scrolling quite a bit. But the issue with the caches dropping out on the 3mi scale remains :(.

I also noticed another potential bug, there appears to be an icon issue regarding the parking locations provided by the Geocaching .gpx file. Instead of the "P" within a blue square as seen in Garmin's Mapsource and which is available in the Endura (make a manual waypoint and you can select the "P"), the Endura unfortunately displays a blue X.

One final question...Wherigo is a new feature to us and looks interesting. Does the Safari read/play the Wherigo cartridge files? I noticed a Wherigo cache type in the Endura filter selection menu, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Any help you or the other Endura users could provide would be great.

And many thanks for providing a conduit to the Lowrance developement team. I hope they are working on a 1.6.x version.

Hi there,

I hope this helps.

Endura v 1.5.1 update

I went ot the link you provided before to see if my newest unit needed an update. It says there

If it reads 'V 1.5.xxxxx NA Safari' or something similar including 1.5.1, then the update is current.

To me that says that that either is the most current update. If I had not read this post there wouldn't be any reason for me to think that I needed to update it.

I also have a few things on my wish list. I will find that list and post again.

I have to say though that I have been a lowrance user since the h20c was first introduced and have talked many people over to my side. However, in all good consciousness I can't do that anymore. This is the fourth unit I have had. #1 = bad flash chip #2 = problem with battery meter and major problem with the navigation arrow #3 = broken battery spring when taking out the batteries the second time and currently on #4 for past 3 weeks. The only good part is that customer service is very quick and responsive. The turn around time is very, very good also. BUT the original unit I bought was from best buy and had a year warranty. It was returned there within 30 days of purchase. That unit was replaced a couple of weeks later through lowrance. However, I now only have a 6 month warranty. Within 6 weeks of purchase I lost 6 months of warranty. I do really like it but with the problems I have had I can't recommend this unit to anyone.

Lady Bee,

Hello. There is indeed a difference between the two 1.5.9 versions. I upgraded my Safari to the 1.5.1a tonight using the link Lowrance Lady provided. So far, the most noticable change has been in the user experience with the cursor scolling characteristics. It's not nearly as jumpy as the 1.5.1 version my unit was initially delivered with.

There maybe other enhancements, but I haven't found them yet. BTW, the install was relatively quick and fairly straight forward.

Best of luck.

Hi there,

I hope this helps.

Endura v 1.5.1 update

Lowrance Lady. Thanks for your reply! I installed the upgrade to 1.5.1a (1.5.95881)as suggested. This did seem to improve the cursor scrolling quite a bit. But the issue with the caches dropping out on the 3mi scale remains :(.

I also noticed another potential bug, there appears to be an icon issue regarding the parking locations provided by the Geocaching .gpx file. Instead of the "P" within a blue square as seen in Garmin's Mapsource and which is available in the Endura (make a manual waypoint and you can select the "P"), the Endura unfortunately displays a blue X.

One final question...Wherigo is a new feature to us and looks interesting. Does the Safari read/play the Wherigo cartridge files? I noticed a Wherigo cache type in the Endura filter selection menu, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

And many thanks for providing a conduit to the Lowrance developement team. I hope they are working on a 1.6.x version.

From the 3 mi scale and above the caches appear as blue dots. The red dots (with a plus sign) indicates additional caches in the area. If you select a cache from the cache list it should remain marked with a yellow flag no matter how high the scale. In my area if the treasure chests were still on the screen at 3 mi. you wouldn't be able to see the map.

The blue X is the child waypoint icon. It didn't matter to me what the icon was. When I first got my Endura and loaded pocket queries thru GSAK I didn't know what the blue X indicated. It was a head slap moment when someone told me.

I don't play Wherigo, it is a little more technology driven so I have not gotten involved with it. But I checked the website. Here are some links that might clarify the process for you. There is a Wherigo thread in the forums. It lists the hardware platforms that can run Wherigo.

Wherigo forum

Wherigo website

Happy Caching.

Penny

Hi there,

I hope this helps.

Endura v 1.5.1 update

From the 3 mi scale and above the caches appear as blue dots. The red dots (with a plus sign) indicates additional caches in the area. If you select a cache from the cache list it should remain marked with a yellow flag no matter how high the scale. In my area if the treasure chests were still on the screen at 3 mi. you wouldn't be able to see the map.

The blue X is the child waypoint icon. It didn't matter to me what the icon was. When I first got my Endura and loaded pocket queries thru GSAK I didn't know what the blue X indicated. It was a head slap moment when someone told me.

I don't play Wherigo, it is a little more technology driven so I have not gotten involved with it. But I checked the website. Here are some links that might clarify the process for you. There is a Wherigo thread in the forums. It lists the hardware platforms that can run Wherigo.

Wherigo forum

Wherigo website

Happy Caching.

Penny

Penny.

Thanks for the help with the icon definitions...I would have never guessed the blue X stood for a "child" location. But the type A engineer in me says parking locations should use a parking icon. No biggie, now that I know what is means, I can compensate.

Regarding the scale vs. icon topic (last time I promise)...What's funny is that it skips the 3mi scale. At 6mi the little boxes representing the caches are shown (most with red circles), at 3mi there are no caches or blue dots, just the base map, at 1.8 mi the cache boxes return. Once again the inconsistency is what jumps out at me.

One more question: Are you familiar with the use of trails and how they are utilized in the Enduras? Assuming they define a specific series of points along a path sure seems like it could be a neat thing to out. But I'm not sure what the sure of the paths would be since they are not caches per se.

BTW, I did read up on Wherigo, looks like it's not supported by the Endura hardware and appears to be on it's way out for the Garmin handheld GPSr devices. So we won't push that any further either.

Well, time for bed...we're going to go caching tomorrow even with the snow on the ground. Hopefully we won't have too many DNFs!

Good night,

Tim

Lady Bee,

Hello. There is indeed a difference between the two 1.5.9 versions. I upgraded my Safari to the 1.5.1a tonight using the link Lowrance Lady provided. So far, the most noticable change has been in the user experience with the cursor scolling characteristics. It's not nearly as jumpy as the 1.5.1 version my unit was initially delivered with.

There maybe other enhancements, but I haven't found them yet. BTW, the install was relatively quick and fairly straight forward.

Best of luck.

I upgraded one of my earlier units (maybe #2) but I really didn't see anything that changed. It was really straightforward to do though. I guess I should go ahead and upgrade this one then too.

I haven't used gsak in a long, long time. With the h20c I used the lowrance program to load the unit. Now I just dragged and dropped the extracted files from the pocket query to the endura gpx folder. However, I didn't see the child waypoints on the map unless I went to FIND --> Waypoints instead of FIND --> Geocaches. Do they only show up if I load the unit through gsak?

Lady Bee,

Best of luck.

I upgraded one of my earlier units (maybe #2) but I really didn't see anything that changed. It was really straightforward to do though. I guess I should go ahead and upgrade this one then too.

I haven't used gsak in a long, long time. With the h20c I used the lowrance program to load the unit. Now I just dragged and dropped the extracted files from the pocket query to the endura gpx folder. However, I didn't see the child waypoints on the map unless I went to FIND --> Waypoints instead of FIND --> Geocaches. Do they only show up if I load the unit through gsak?

Good Morning Lady Bee.

There are two files generated with each pocket query that is executed (assuming the cache providers in the search area have included the extra data). Load both .gpx files unto the Endura and make sure the Waypoint selection in the map settings page is turned on. You should see the blue Xs on the display...Hope that helps.

Good Morning Lady Bee.

There are two files generated with each pocket query that is executed (assuming the cache providers in the search area have included the extra data). Load both .gpx files unto the Endura and make sure the Waypoint selection in the map settings page is turned on. You should see the blue Xs on the display...Hope that helps.

I found that setting and the blue crosses show on the map but they only show on FIND --> waypoints and not in FIND --> geocaches where I actually would like the child waypoints to be. With the parking coords listed in the same file as the geocaches I can find "closest" much quicker and switch to the geocache easier after I have arrived at the parking coords.

Penny

I don't lose the box cache icons at the 3 mile point. They still appear as boxes and not blue dots even at 6 miles. Of course at that scale there are a lot of blue crosses and red dots with plus signs. I live in an area that is completely saturated with caches so I was surprised when I read this and tried it out on my unit. I expected the map to obliterated.

I will have to update the unit and see if that changes these things.

Good Morning Lady Bee.

I found that setting and the blue crosses show on the map but they only show on FIND --> waypoints and not in FIND --> geocaches where I actually would like the child waypoints to be. With the parking coords listed in the same file as the geocaches I can find "closest" much quicker and switch to the geocache easier after I have arrived at the parking coords.

Penny

I don't lose the box cache icons at the 3 mile point. They still appear as boxes and not blue dots even at 6 miles. Of course at that scale there are a lot of blue crosses and red dots with plus signs. I live in an area that is completely saturated with caches so I was surprised when I read this and tried it out on my unit. I expected the map to obliterated.

You will only get Child WPs with Find>Waypoint. But, usually the waypoint name corresponds to the GC number. My feelings on having the child waypoints populate the Cache List, is that it would be cumbersome scrolling through all the waypoints that I may not need. I just look at the map to see if there is an X that correspond to the cache, then if I need directions I go to waypoints. I guess everyone has their own way to navigate thru the system, sometimes I learn a different and better way from users, like you, who contribute to the forums.

I am anxious to know if you lose the caches @ 3 mi. after you update.

Penny

You will only get Child WPs with Find>Waypoint. But, usually the waypoint name corresponds to the GC number. My feelings on having the child waypoints populate the Cache List, is that it would be cumbersome scrolling through all the waypoints that I may not need. I just look at the map to see if there is an X that correspond to the cache, then if I need directions I go to waypoints. I guess everyone has their own way to navigate thru the system, sometimes I learn a different and better way from users, like you, who contribute to the forums.

I am anxious to know if you lose the caches @ 3 mi. after you update.

The upgrade was completed successfully. I still have the caches shown all the way up to 6 miles and only lose them at 18 miles. They are the ammo cans/boxes, blue crosses and red spots with the plus sign in them. I don't use GSAK to load the pocket queries so my icons may differ from yours.

I agree that scrolling through the caches by name is very cumbersome especially if you are looking for a cache near the end of the alphabet. I usually have a couple thousand caches loaded and it is a real pain. My parking waypoints all start with PKxxxx so in the alphabetical list of caches they would be in the second half. However, when searching by distance it would be very helpful to have those parking waypoints listed. Otherwise it takes several clicks to get from the waypoints back to the geocache. I cache frequently in an urban area and the parking coords can be pretty important and save a lot of driving in circles.

So with that in mind also here is a wish list that I have started

1. Ability to sort caches by spelling like can be done on the h20c. Eliminates that slow scrolling through the 4000 caches that can be in memory.

2. Edit the coords in the geocache itself. I used that for multicaches. Again eliminates need to switch to the waypoints in the find menu.

3. I'd like to be able to change from on road to off road without having to end navigation and start it again to the same geocache. If this can be done already let me know also.

4. Sort by event. I brought this up earlier and it hasn't been changed with this new update I just did.

There was something else too but it slips my memory right at the moment. LOL

Edited by LadyBee4T

Just to follow up, I got to talk to a customer service rep today and described what the unit was doing. I'm mailing the Out&Back to Lowrance and a technician will be looking into the problem with the unit and possible cause. Thank you Lowrance Lady for the work you did for me. GTOJerry

I received a replacement unit and I have posted a new post called "White Screen" which happens quite a bit. Please check out the post. Jerry

Has Lowrance made any changes to .gpx output to help them come more into conformity with GPS standards?

I received some sample .gpx files from Lowrance (1 each waypoint, route & track) to allow me to add Endura support

for an application of mine. The files specify gpx 1.0 that was superceded in 2004. My code barfed on them, but if

edited to refer to 1.1 they could be read. The big problem is the route files contain waypoint instead of

routepoints as is standard.

I have a PC app that does translation (not simply conversion) of GPX information.

It translates symbols, route/track colors between vendors/series as well as direct output to Google Earth KML.

Other than the bad route files from Lowrance, it currently handles Garmin, DeLorme and Endura .gpx files.

So the question is have they fixed the .gpx outputs & I need samples.

Thanks

Has Lowrance made any changes to .gpx output to help them come more into conformity with GPS standards?

I received some sample .gpx files from Lowrance (1 each waypoint, route & track) to allow me to add Endura support

for an application of mine. The files specify gpx 1.0 that was superceded in 2004. My code barfed on them, but if

edited to refer to 1.1 they could be read. The big problem is the route files contain waypoint instead of

routepoints as is standard.

I have a PC app that does translation (not simply conversion) of GPX information.

It translates symbols, route/track colors between vendors/series as well as direct output to Google Earth KML.

Other than the bad route files from Lowrance, it currently handles Garmin, DeLorme and Endura .gpx files.

So the question is have they fixed the .gpx outputs & I need samples.

Thanks

I am trying to get some information for you.

My application now supports Magellan Explorist 10 series as well.

I downloaded their vantage point software to get info on input/output files and test my input/output code.

Also added capability to generate a set of waypoints in alphabetic order of all the symbols of each vendor/series that I support in the translation file. Works for Garmin, DeLorme, Magellan 10, Google Earth (their symbols and my NicolasMollet set).

Have nice image files for symbol sets from each of the above.

It reads current Endura waypoints and tracks and can translate to other vendors etc.

Am stopping trying to get the Lowrance stuff working better until I get info on current GPX formats.

Need to get on with rebuilding my GeoBiking website on a new host....

Edited by gps_dr

Sorry, but I have not been able to get the information you requested. Since I am not a Lowrance employee I do not have access to programming info.

My application now supports Magellan Explorist 10 series as well.

I downloaded their vantage point software to get info on input/output files and test my input/output code.

Also added capability to generate a set of waypoints in alphabetic order of all the symbols of each vendor/series that I support in the translation file. Works for Garmin, DeLorme, Magellan 10, Google Earth (their symbols and my NicolasMollet set).

Have nice image files for symbol sets from each of the above.

It reads current Endura waypoints and tracks and can translate to other vendors etc.

Am stopping trying to get the Lowrance stuff working better until I get info on current GPX formats.

Need to get on with rebuilding my GeoBiking website on a new host....

Lowrance Lady here! I am not an employee of Lowrance, but am a long time geocacher and now a new member of the Lowrance Pro Staff with responsibility to support geocaching related forums and events.

My mission on the Geocaching Forum is to:

• reinforce Lowrance's focus on geocaching

• assist owners of Lowrance Outdoor GPS handheld devices, (i.e. Endura, Sierra, Safari and Out&Back,) with timely and accurate support and responses to forum posts

• share information on product support and enhancements, such as the recent Endura 1.5 software upgrade

I have been geocaching for 4 years, personally have over 1200 found caches, have created 13 new caches, and have been very active in the caching community during that time. I hope that this experience, my customer service background, and the direct connection I can provide to Lowrance technical support and product management will complement each other on this site.

I look forward to being a strong and positive contributor and resource for all Lowrance related questions and information.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct

Lots of luck in your new undertaking. Lowrance makes a pretty decent product but their tech support leaves a lot to be desired. I have owned three different GPS receivers made by Lowrance dating back to pre-2000, but after buying my last GPS and the mapping software that went with it then going through the problems I had with the software and having Lowrance drop the ball twice on support I went with Garmin with my last GPS.

Dear Lowrance Lady.

I had updated to 1.4 and my Out&Back was freezing on the Start up screen. I put it away and waited for another update. 1.51 came along and its still frozen. I had heard that this is a common problem due to a bad flash chip. Any suggestions? Am I able to send it in for repair or replacement? Any help you be greatly appreciated!

Edited by stump-1

I had updated to 1.4 and my Out&Back was freezing on the Start up screen. I put it away and waited for another update. 1.51 came along and its still frozen. Any suggestions? Am I able to send it in for repair or replacement?

How long ago did you buy your O&B? How long have you been experiencing the "freeze"? If your unit is freezing on the start up screen, it is terminal. If it is still under warranty you can send it to Lowrance and they will replace it with a factory refurbished unit, with a 6 month warranty. In my experience with them I have received the replacement unit In 7-8 days. I will try to get you some help.

Lowrance Pro Staffer just trying to keep the facts on Endura correct.

I had updated to 1.4 and my Out&Back was freezing on the Start up screen. I put it away and waited for another update. 1.51 came along and its still frozen. Any suggestions? Am I able to send it in for repair or replacement?

How long ago did you buy your O&B? How long have you been experiencing the "freeze"? If your unit is freezing on the start up screen, it is terminal. If it is still under warranty you can send it to Lowrance and they will replace it with a factory refurbished unit, with a 6 month warranty. In my experience with them I have received the replacement unit In 7-8 days. I will try to get you some help.

Thank you for your help... Please keep me informed.

Edited by stump-1

I'm using a Lowrance Out&Back, with the latest Endura upgrade (1.5.95881). Normally, I add caches to my Out&Back by creating a Pocket Query, and saving the GPX files generated by that query to the GPX directory on the unit. This seems to work reasonably well most of the time ... except that occasionally, the coordinates shown on the unit differ from the ones in the GPX file. The main difference I'm seeing is that, occasionally, the latitude and/or longitude coordinates are one digit smaller than the true coordinates.

For example: if the coordinates in the GPX file are (N 12 34.567 / W 098 76.543), I'll see (N 12 34.566 W 098 76.542) or (N 12 34.567 / W 098 76.542) or (N 12 34.566 W 098 76.543).

I realize that geocaching involves dealing with a certain amount of uncertainty --- both in terms of my GPSr and the GPSr used to record the cache's coordinates originally, but I'm seeing this happen often enough (with perplexing results to this novice cacher) that I'm wondering if something else is going on here. I've verified (using EasyGPS) that the coordinates in the GPX file downloaded from geocaching.com are, in fact, correct, so it seems like there's something going on in the transfer process.

Any ideas what might be happening?

I'm using a Lowrance Out&Back, with the latest Endura upgrade (1.5.95881). Normally, I add caches to my Out&Back by creating a Pocket Query, and saving the GPX files generated by that query to the GPX directory on the unit. This seems to work reasonably well most of the time ... except that occasionally, the coordinates shown on the unit differ from the ones in the GPX file. The main difference I'm seeing is that, occasionally, the latitude and/or longitude coordinates are one digit smaller than the true coordinates.

For example: if the coordinates in the GPX file are (N 12 34.567 / W 098 76.543), I'll see (N 12 34.566 W 098 76.542) or (N 12 34.567 / W 098 76.542) or (N 12 34.566 W 098 76.543).

I realize that geocaching involves dealing with a certain amount of uncertainty --- both in terms of my GPSr and the GPSr used to record the cache's coordinates originally, but I'm seeing this happen often enough (with perplexing results to this novice cacher) that I'm wondering if something else is going on here. I've verified (using EasyGPS) that the coordinates in the GPX file downloaded from geocaching.com are, in fact, correct, so it seems like there's something going on in the transfer process.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Just a guess.

The actual format in the GPX file is decimal degrees not decimal minutes like we are used to seeing. Somehow -The Endura must round off or truncate the values - thus causing a slight "display" only issue.

Hello all! I need help!

I have bought used Lowrance Endura Safari. Then I downloaded firmware upgrade (1.5.1) and upgraded my device. All was OK at the moment when I made reset. When I power my device on, it shows me just only first screen (with tree and sun).

I tried to do soft reset (power+pages)

I tried to do hard reset (power+menu).

I unplug the device from any power more than 24 hours.

This things can not use.

When I plug device on USB, I can't see it like flashcard but before upgrade I have seen it.

I don't know what firmware was before upgrade.

Is there any way to remove new firmware? What should I do to fix my device?

Thanks!

Your unit has a bad flash chip, if you call Lowrance tech support and tell them it's a used unit they will charge you at least $159.00 to repair it. I went through the same mess with an Out&Back unit with a bad flash chip. If your unit is less than a year old or so, or get the receipt of when it was bought you might stand a chance on asking to speak to a supervisor and let them know even if its a used unit and only a year or so old they should back the product they sell for "longevity and reliability" those are the terms I used when my Out&Back failed and I was the second owner... I don't care if your the 10th owner within a year they should back their product. The flash chip failure is a very common problem and what I was told is they had a bad batch of chips. Myself being a tech, using cheap chinese chips to save a few cents can give a company a bad name. You can see my posts on the Lowrance Out&Back problems I had, I have a new Out&Back in the box and it's got pointer problems (Lowrance knows it's common problem again) I took the batteries out and put it back in the box and will wait for the next firmware update to see if they fix the problem... Good luck and post your results.

You can see my posts on the Lowrance Out&Back problems I had, I have a new Out&Back in the box and it's got pointer problems (Lowrance knows it's common problem again) I took the batteries out and put it back in the box and will wait for the next firmware update to see if they fix the problem... Good luck and post your results.

What are the pointer problems that you are having specifically? On one unit I had, the navigation arrow was acting crazy and had me zigging and zagging to the cache. But on that unit the N arrow was spinning too like it couldn't really decide which way to point. The current unit I have swings a bit but not nearly like that one did and it helps if I calibrate the compass. I forget to do that since I didnt' have to on my H20c. I currently am on my 4th safari.

What are the pointer problems that you are having specifically? On one unit I had, the navigation arrow was acting crazy and had me zigging and zagging to the cache. But on that unit the N arrow was spinning too like it couldn't really decide which way to point. The current unit I have swings a bit but not nearly like that one did and it helps if I calibrate the compass. I forget to do that since I didnt' have to on my H20c. I currently am on my 4th safari.

How do you calibrate the compass?

On the Menu select Settings

Scroll down to Compass

Select Calibrate Compass Then you rotate the unit in all 3 axes until it tell you that you are done.

Now if someone could refresh my memory on how to delete the tracks/trails....I found it once but don't remember where I found it and my house area is getting obliterated with the grey dashed lines. LOL

Whereever it is I remember thinking that it wasn't in an intuitive spot

Now if someone could refresh my memory on how to delete the tracks/trails....I found it once but don't remember where I found it and my house area is getting obliterated with the grey dashed lines. LOL

To remove current tracks/trails (breadcrumbs) --- Find>Trails>Current Trail>More options>Reset

That will remove the tracks, but you will be begin a new trail unless you disable "Trail Settings".

To Disable ... Go to --- Settings>Trail Settings>Disable

The only time I enable my breadcrumbs is if we are hiking a distance into the forest. I hate a messy map.

Hope this helps.

L L

Thank you for your help... Please keep me informed.

I would like to relay some good news. I would like to thank Lowrance Lady for all her help. I recently received a communication from Lowrance customer service and have been approved for a repair under warranty. I will be sending it in shortly.

Thanks again.

To remove current tracks/trails (breadcrumbs) --- Find>Trails>Current Trail>More options>Reset

That will remove the tracks, but you will be begin a new trail unless you disable "Trail Settings".

To Disable ... Go to --- Settings>Trail Settings>Disable

The only time I enable my breadcrumbs is if we are hiking a distance into the forest. I hate a messy map.

Hope this helps.

L L

Thanks that was it! I leave the breadcrumbs on because I do a lot of caching in wooded areas. If I didn't leave it on I would forget to turn it on when I needed it. Just like I frequently forget to mark the car....

I would like to relay some good news. I would like to thank Lowrance Lady for all her help. I recently received a communication from Lowrance customer service and have been approved for a repair under warranty. I will be sending it in shortly.

Thanks again.

You are welcome, but I can't take the credit. I am just the conduit, relaying the concerns of the Endura owner's community to the company. The Lowrance Customer Support is committed to their customers and I am glad that they came through for you.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

I am wondering if you were able to calibrate your compass. LadyBeeT gave you the correct instructions, but the first time I tried to calibrate my Sierra I didn't have any luck. Somebody demonstrated the procedure and it worked. (I didn't understand the 3 axis instructions) Sometimes I have trouble getting it past 66% so I turn around a few times (while rotating it in all 3 axis') and it locks in.

Every once in a while my navigation arrow seems not to work properly, but when I see the distance decreasing I know I am heading in the right direction and the arrow will correct itself after walking 10-15 feet.

LL

Hello all! I need help!

I have bought used Lowrance Endura Safari. Then I downloaded firmware upgrade (1.5.1) and upgraded my device. All was OK at the moment when I made reset. When I power my device on, it shows me just only first screen (with tree and sun).

This things can not use.

When I plug device on USB, I can't see it like flashcard but before upgrade I have seen it.

Thanks!

I am sorry I missed this post. Unfortunately, you can't undo the upgrade and there is no "hard reset" function on the Enduras.

Are you located in the United States? I would like to refer you to the correct support person for your area, but your profile doesn't indicate where you live. Let me know and I will try to help you.

Lowrance Lady Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

LadyBee4T I have an Out&Back and the last 2 units have had pointer problems. The Out&Back model has no electronic compass to calibrate, my last two Out&Backs that Lowrance sent me will do the following....

I'm standing 100 feet south from a cache and 20 feet to the east... I walk a normal pace north the "Feet" will count down no problem and as I walk past the cache the pointer will still point north until I get 60 feet past and north of the cache before the pointer will point south to the cache.

I can be 60 feet south of the cache and walk north at a normal pace in a straight line to the cache and the the "Feet" count will count down all the way to 3 feet with no problem but the pointer will not clock toward the cache as I walk by and past until I get 60 feet past. I did send a video to Lowrance Lady to view a while back.

To me the pointer and "Feet" should work together, when I spoke to a male technician at Lowrance he told me I had to be at least walking 5 mph so the pointer would work, to me I didn't buy that answer since the foot counter was working fine and the pointer was not... I feel the foot counter and pointer is working together but the pointer has a firmware programming problem (Glitch). I think it's still a firmware problem only with the Out&Back unit not the other Endura models. It's the only GPS unit that I have owned that doesn't clock the pointer toward the cache as you walk by and past. I have read on others with the pointer issue.. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261776

Like The Out&Back is put away in it's box until the next firmware update. If Lowrance would fix the lagging pointer issue the Out&Back would be a great unit to use geocaching.

I currently own...

Garmin 1=Etrex Venture, 1=Etrex Vista HCX, 1=Etrex Summit HC, 2=older Etrex Legends, 2= older Etrex Vistas, 1=older Etrex Summit, 2=older yellow Etrex...

Magellan...1=GPS310, 1=Sportrak Map, 1=Explorist 400, 4=Triton 400's, 1= Triton 500 .....

Lowrance 1=Out&Back

Hello all! I need help!

This things can not use.

Thanks!

I am sorry I missed this post. Unfortunately, you can't undo the upgrade and there is no "hard reset" function on the Enduras.

Are you located in the United States? I would like to refer you to the correct support person for your area, but your profile doesn't indicate where you live. Let me know and I will try to help you.

Lowrance Lady Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

I live in Russia and my Endura have been bought by ebay like used device. I haven't any papers or receipts for it and, as far as I understand, it will be impossible to send my unit to factory.

Anyway, I can use Ozi, iGo and another navigation programs on this device but unfortunately I can't recalibrate the compass.

The only thing which I can now - wait new firmware. May be new one will fix this problem.

Thanks!

Hello all! I need help!

This things can not use.

Thanks!

I live in Russia and my Endura have been bought by ebay like used device. I haven't any papers or receipts for it and, as far as I understand, it will be impossible to send my unit to factory.

Anyway, I can use Ozi, iGo and another navigation programs on this device but unfortunately I can't recalibrate the compass.

The only thing which I can now - wait new firmware. May be new one will fix this problem.

Thanks!

You are right. We don't have a service center that is available to you. If I understand correctly, you only get the Spray Screen (tree and Sun). That means that you can't get to the menu or any other functions? If this is correct then I am sorry that I am unable to help you and a firmware, or software upgrade will not help either.

If you are able to get to the menu you should be able to calibrate it.

I wish I could be of more help to you.

Lowrance Lady

On the Menu select Settings

Scroll down to Compass

Select Calibrate Compass Then you rotate the unit in all 3 axes until it tell you that you are done.

I don't have a menu item for Compass - help?

My Bad!

I am so sorry' date=' I should have reread your original post, in which you stated that you have an Out and Back. The O&B's compass is magnetic. Since it is not an electronic compass, it cannot be calibrated.

How long ago did you get your Endura?

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight (This time not so straight.)

I have a question about my safari that I am curious about. When I attach it to my desktop which has windows xp it is usually recognized as the endura. However, when I attach it to my laptop it is usually recognized just as a removable disk. I then get a popup which says it has errors and asks to scan it. At first I didn't do that but now I have. It says that it found errors and they have been fixed. I see no difference in the performance whether I do the scan or not. But 95% of the time it is never recognized as the endura with that icon when I go to "my computer" on the laptop.

Also it seems that now the "spring" that will pop out the microsd card no long works. Before it was only popped out a miniscule amount and was hard to remove anyway. Now it is impossible without some sort of help. Since it has to be removed each time I load the unit it is getting to be a pain to use something to help get it out. I have found that the corner of a credit card works.

StarBrand would you post what your Out&Back settings are for geocaching since yours is operating fine.

I have tried to re-upload the current firmware but the unit only allows you to do it once and not again.

I have tried to enable and disable different features to see if I could get it working without any luck and this is my second unit with the pointer issue.

Howdy All-New Safari owner

Updated to latest software version today. Stock map isn't going to make it.

Need some advice and or links for better map for my Safari.

Looking for one all purpose addon that handles secondary streets/parks/trails.

Preloaded on sd card would be good.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Tnks in advance.

Edited by flyguymk

Did they stop putting the trial membership in the box with new Lowrance Out and Backs? I got one the other day and was just curious about that.

I have not been told that the coupon was not included anymore. I have a few codes left, so I will PM you with one.

Did they stop putting the trial membership in the box with new Lowrance Out and Backs? I got one the other day and was just curious about that.

I have not been told that the coupon was not included anymore. I have a few codes left, so I will PM you with one.

Wow thank you so much. I have to say so far I really like the unit. It has a great feel in my hand and I like the size of the buttons. I have big mitten hands and I have no trouble working them.

Howdy All-New Safari owner

Updated to latest software version today. Stock map isn't going to make it.

Need some advice and or links for better map for my Safari.

Looking for one all purpose addon that handles secondary streets/parks/trails.

Preloaded on sd card would be good.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Tnks in advance.

I just got this device and need something better than the stock maps, it would be nice if it had all the basic roads and streets i feel like I'm walking around in the middle of nowhere with this thing. I can also confirm that my device ($80 in store at Best Buy right now) came loaded up with 1.5.1 and did not include a coupon

I also would like someones views on how this would compare to an iPhone, I geocache in NYC and had issues with the tall buildings...im hoping that Endura O&B will be the fix.

Thanks for any help

Edited by taboo8614

$80.00 in store?? Is this part of a sale or something?

I just got this device and need something better than the stock maps, it would be nice if it had all the basic roads and streets i feel like I'm walking around in the middle of nowhere with this thing. I can also confirm that my device ($80 in store at Best Buy right now) came loaded up with 1.5.1 and did not include a coupon

I also would like someones views on how this would compare to an iPhone, I geocache in NYC and had issues with the tall buildings...im hoping that Endura O&B will be the fix.

Thanks for any help

I have been in contact with the Lowrance marketing manager and he said that Lowrance has not discontinued the 30-day Premium Membership Promo. He is checking with Groundspeak to see if they are no longer honoring them or if there is a technical problem...

If Groundspeak is still honoring them and lets us know what the fix is, I will PM anyone that needs a promo code. This includes both basic and existing premium members (this extends an existing premium membership by one month.) Just let me know by posting a note on this topic.