Lowrance Endura Support

Lowrance Lady here! I am not an employee of Lowrance, but am a long time geocacher and now a new member of the Lowrance Pro Staff with responsibility to support geocaching related forums and events.

My mission on the Geocaching Forum is to:

• reinforce Lowrance's focus on geocaching

• assist owners of Lowrance Outdoor GPS handheld devices, (i.e. Endura, Sierra, Safari and Out&Back,) with timely and accurate support and responses to forum posts

• share information on product support and enhancements, such as the recent Endura 1.5 software upgrade

I have been geocaching for 4 years, personally have over 1200 found caches, have created 13 new caches, and have been very active in the caching community during that time. I hope that this experience, my customer service background, and the direct connection I can provide to Lowrance technical support and product management will complement each other on this site.

I look forward to being a strong and positive contributor and resource for all Lowrance related questions and information.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct
Edited by Lowrance Lady

Do I have to have a Premium membership to add geocache locations to my outandback?

If not, how do I add them?

No, you do not have to have Premium membership to load caches into your unit. However, you can only load .LOC files, and they don't give you the information you need to go paperless. If you could give me the answers to the following questions I would be able to give you the help you need.

1. How long have you had your Out&Back?

2. Have you loaded the upgrade V1.5?

I will get back to you ASAP.

Do I have to have a Premium membership to add geocache locations to my outandback?

If not, how do I add them?

No, you do not have to have Premium membership to load caches into your unit. However, you can only load .LOC files, and they don't give you the information you need to go paperless. If you could give me the answers to the following questions I would be able to give you the help you need.

1. How long have you had your Out&Back?

2. Have you loaded the upgrade V1.5?

I will get back to you ASAP.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct

I had my safari for less than a week and today I had to send it in for exchange. They told me it was a bad flash chip that made the gpx file corrupted. Anyway as I was working with it this week I have a few questions. The software on it was v1.5.94843

In the list of cache types it shows adventures (which I assume are the gps adventure mazes) and also glasses. I at first thought the glasses might be a watchlist but then I saw somewhere that it meant muggles. What is this cache type? On the unit I sent in as you scrolled through the cache types there were two for multi but none for regular events only mega events. Why two multi and no events? I tried it several times and it was definitely two multi spots one right after the other.

I had a H20c. In that unit when I wanted to find a cache by name I could basically spell it out by scrolling through the letters and then right arrow to get the second letter and so on. In this unit I didn't see anyway to do that except scroll using the touch screen or buttons through all the caches. With the capability to load 4000 that could take a long time if I was looking for one called "Say A Prayer" Is there an easier way to do it? The touch screen could be frustrating and I didnt' want to put a screen saver on it for fear it would be less sensitive that it already was.

Over all I really like the unit and was bummed that they didn't have any in the store to exchange it and had to order one in.

I have sent you a Private Message to get some clarification, so that I can post an accurate reply.

I had my safari for less than a week and today I had to send it in for exchange. They told me it was a bad flash chip that made the gpx file corrupted. Anyway as I was working with it this week I have a few questions. The software on it was v1.5.94843

In the list of cache types it shows adventures (which I assume are the gps adventure mazes) and also glasses. I at first thought the glasses might be a watchlist but then I saw somewhere that it meant muggles. What is this cache type? On the unit I sent in as you scrolled through the cache types there were two for multi but none for regular events only mega events. Why two multi and no events? I tried it several times and it was definitely two multi spots one right after the other.

I had a H20c. In that unit when I wanted to find a cache by name I could basically spell it out by scrolling through the letters and then right arrow to get the second letter and so on. In this unit I didn't see anyway to do that except scroll using the touch screen or buttons through all the caches. With the capability to load 4000 that could take a long time if I was looking for one called "Say A Prayer" Is there an easier way to do it? The touch screen could be frustrating and I didnt' want to put a screen saver on it for fear it would be less sensitive that it already was.

Over all I really like the unit and was bummed that they didn't have any in the store to exchange it and had to order one in.

I have sent you a Private Message to get some clarification, so that I can post an accurate reply.

To clarify my post --- the geocaching menu allows you to filter geocache list by All/Found/Not Found, Type, Size, Difficulty & Terrain. I was filtering by Cache Type when I found the adventure, glasses, multi etc.

The software version you had on your Safari is 1.5. If you sent your unit into Lowrance it should come with 1.5.1 on it. But check just in case. If you sent it to the retailer, I doubt that it will be up to date. Then you will need to install it yourself. Use the link on my Oct. 21st post.

I replicated the process and found the same issue. I did a PQ, with only Events and Multi's, and loaded it on my Sierra. The same multis, showed up on both multi filters and none of the events showed when I used the Mega-Event filter. I will forward this seemingly program error to the appropriate folks at Lowrance. The glasses icon are caches that are on your watchlist. (This was info I got when I inquired 2 years ago from Lowrance Cust. Service).

Regarding the need to scroll, rather than spell, to search for a cache by name, this is a known issue. And I will also forward this.

You should use a screen saver. I would recommend a matte or non-glare. I found an inexpensive 3-pack on the internet and it didn't affect the responsiveness of the touch screen. You can always remove it. I dropped my unit. It fell about 15 feet and hit two rocks on the way down. I expected to find the screen broken, but the screen saver had only a deep scratch. I felt pretty lucky.

I hope this helps.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct.

To clarify my post --- the geocaching menu allows you to filter geocache list by All/Found/Not Found, Type, Size, Difficulty & Terrain. I was filtering by Cache Type when I found the adventure, glasses, multi etc.

I recently bought a Safari and I just used it for the first time today. Looking at the maps it had several streets around my area and the street my house is on. I then saw there was the 1.5.1 update so I applied it. I am not sure what the original firmware was because I did not check before applying, but the theme was yellow before update and gray now. The main problem I have with the update is it seems to have lost detail on the streets. Now it only has major streets around my town. I did not delete anything on the SD card or format, and there were only waypoints on there to begin with. Also, I tried all 3 different detail settings and every other setting I can think of. I tried downgrading to 1.4 and 1.1 to see if I could get all the streets back, but it would say "update complete" immediately after starting and it did not actually apply the older version because I can see in the about page that it is 1.5xxx still.

I need help because I don't understand why the maps lost detail with an update.

Thanks

What are the numbers after the 1.5_ _ _? I am contacting my support people at Lowrance, but I know they will ask me this question. So I would like to have the answer before I talk to them tomorrow morning. I have not heard about any other users with this issue.

I recently bought a Safari and I just used it for the first time today. Looking at the maps it had several streets around my area and the street my house is on. I then saw there was the 1.5.1 update so I applied it. I am not sure what the original firmware was because I did not check before applying, but the theme was yellow before update and gray now. The main problem I have with the update is it seems to have lost detail on the streets. Now it only has major streets around my town. I did not delete anything on the SD card or format, and there were only waypoints on there to begin with. Also, I tried all 3 different detail settings and every other setting I can think of. I tried downgrading to 1.4 and 1.1 to see if I could get all the streets back, but it would say "update complete" immediately after starting and it did not actually apply the older version because I can see in the about page that it is 1.5xxx still.

Thanks

1.5.95881 NA Safari

1.5.1a, 1.4, 1.1, 1.21

Thank you for the help

What are the numbers after the 1.5_ _ _? I am contacting my support people at Lowrance, but I know they will ask me this question. So I would like to have the answer before I talk to them tomorrow morning. I have not heard about any other users with this issue.

Thanks

I reread your post and I missed something the first time I read it. I don't know if this would have any bearing your map issue, but it is recommended that your SD card be blank and freshly formatted. I will post more info as I get it.

1.5.95881 NA Safari

1.5.1a, 1.4, 1.1, 1.21

Thank you for the help

Thanks

I retried 1.1/1.4/1.5.1 all with a formatted card, but it did not change. I don't know if there is a way to roll back.

Thanks for keeping me up to date on this

I reread your post and I missed something the first time I read it. I don't know if this would have any bearing your map issue, but it is recommended that your SD card be blank and freshly formatted. I will post more info as I get it.

1.5.95881 NA Safari

1.5.1a, 1.4, 1.1, 1.21

Thank you for the help

Thanks

I am sending you a PM. I have been conversing with the programming engineer in Sidney, Australia. He has asked me to get some additional information from you.

I retried 1.1/1.4/1.5.1 all with a formatted card, but it did not change. I don't know if there is a way to roll back.

1.5.95881 NA Safari

1.5.1a, 1.4, 1.1, 1.21

Thank you for the help

Thanks

Reply sent

I am sending you a PM. I have been conversing with the programming engineer in Sidney, Australia. He has asked me to get some additional information from you.

1.5.95881 NA Safari

1.5.1a, 1.4, 1.1, 1.21

Thank you for the help

Thanks

I received my replacement safari last night so today I was forced to go caching ;) . I'm liking it (except that the price seems to have decreased since I bought it) and the fact that the go to line moves as the car does is something I didn't realize with the last one. It has the same v1.5.9xxx as my first one but I'm waiting to upgrade for a bit to make sure this one works correctly. It also came with a screen protector so I already put that on. At first I liked the microSD card near the usb port. However, now that I have used the unit several times I think it is a pain. The feature I would really like to see is the option of loading to either the internal memory or the microSD card so the card doesn't have to be removed so often when PQs are loaded. I do a new PQ every time I go caching and have the turn by turn map card so I want to be sure to have that when I cache. The card is so small that it could easily be misplaced/lost. Is that something that they have considered?

I am happy to hear that you received your replacement Safari and that you are able to cache again.

I am sorry that you found the price had been cut since you purchased it. If you bought it from a retailer that has a low price guarantee they should refund the difference in price.

Regarding removal of the SD card....I don't remove mine completely when I am hooked up to my computer. Instead I loosen it. That way I won't forget to put it back in when I am done. (and it doesn't get misplaced). If I am not using it, I keep it in the adapter and plastic that it came in, then I put it in the box that my Endura came in, along with the USB cable, TOPO SD Cards and other assorted GPS ephemera. Or, a friend of mine uses one of those heavy zipper 3 ring binder inserts and she carries it in her backpack. These are just suggestions, you can probably figure out something that works for you.

Since I am not an employee of Lowrance I do not know what the product development people's thoughts were when designing the Endura line. I would think that there are aspects of the product that they would change if they could.

I will pass your concerns on to the appropriate folks at Lowrance.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct.

I received my replacement safari last night so today I was forced to go caching ;) . I'm liking it (except that the price seems to have decreased since I bought it) and the fact that the go to line moves as the car does is something I didn't realize with the last one. It has the same v1.5.9xxx as my first one but I'm waiting to upgrade for a bit to make sure this one works correctly. It also came with a screen protector so I already put that on. At first I liked the microSD card near the usb port. However, now that I have used the unit several times I think it is a pain. The feature I would really like to see is the option of loading to either the internal memory or the microSD card so the card doesn't have to be removed so often when PQs are loaded. I do a new PQ every time I go caching and have the turn by turn map card so I want to be sure to have that when I cache. The card is so small that it could easily be misplaced/lost. Is that something that they have considered?

This unit doesn't seem to have the problem that the first unit had except that it did freeze up on me a couple of times. I went ahead and upgraded to the very latest firmware. I thought that in this firmware that the problem with doing multi caches was fixed. I entered the waypoint but it stopped navigating about 40 feet away from GZ. I thought I had the destination reached message turned off. I have done a search to try to figure out how to do this but haven't found any instructions yet. Can you tell me the steps I need to take to enter a new waypoint and have it navigate all the way there as is required to complete a multicache? Thanks

To check or change the Destination Reached Setting....Settings> Navigation> Destination Reached> Yes/No

To enter a new waypoint...Mark Waypoint (push "Mark" button)*, a Waypoint screen will have "Waypoint# (ie, 001). To edit, touch the field that you want to change. For Multicaches, or Puzzles I usually put the first word of the cache name. (backspace to clear "Waypoint00#" then add the name you choose. Then touch Location and enter new coordinates.

* or go to your waypoints and you should have a "new waypoint at the top of the waypoints list. Edit that one.

Since the upgrade I have done a lot of Multis and have gotten as close as 3 ft. A couple of times it only got me to 15 or 18 feet, but I don't think the satellites were lined up very well, because for about 3 hours I was only getting to about 15 feet for all caches.

I hope this helps you.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to keep the facts on Endura straight.

BTW-If you continue to have issues with your unit freezing up, you should call Customer Service at 1-800-628-4487.

This unit doesn't seem to have the problem that the first unit had except that it did freeze up on me a couple of times. I went ahead and upgraded to the very latest firmware. I thought that in this firmware that the problem with doing multi caches was fixed. I entered the waypoint but it stopped navigating about 40 feet away from GZ. I thought I had the destination reached message turned off. I have done a search to try to figure out how to do this but haven't found any instructions yet. Can you tell me the steps I need to take to enter a new waypoint and have it navigate all the way there as is required to complete a multicache? Thanks

Thanks. Those are the steps I used before in the field. Today I tried it again and this time it worked. I have no idea what I did wrong before but maybe it had to do with walking and talking with my caching partners and programming the gps all at the same time. Guess I don't do multi tasking very well LOL

I've noticed though that the navigation arrow is very, very sensitive and changes with almost every step which is very different than my h20c did. I don't know if this is common or not as I'm the only one in the area with a Lowrance so I have no comparison.

Here is the link for the recent Endura updates. These apply to all 3 models: Sierra, Safari, and Out&Back.

Endura Software updates

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Hello,

since three weeks my Out&Back shows me after a few minutes the Startingdisplay. After another minute it ist starting new and I must wait vor the GPS and start a new cache. Can you give me a hint to stop this?

Thank you DieTissi

Hi I have a major problem with my Endura Out & Back, the screen has frozen on the boot screen, there was nothing I can do to get it to reset, the only thing I was able to do was to hook up the data cable and about every 4th or 5th time the gps unit will go into data transfer mode and work. I would like to see if the 1.5 firmware update might help get this unit working normal again. I bought the unit second hand so I'm sure there is no warranty. It currently has 1.2 firmware and the last time I was able to get it working I reset it back to factory defaults and removed the sd card and it still won't boot past the spash screen. My question is, I've refomated the sd card and the only file I see to extract onto the sd card is called installer.exe ... Is the GPS looking for the file "Installer.exe" or something else? I might only get one chance to upload it so I want make sure it's the correct file name. I tried to call Lowrance today and they are closed for the holidays.

Many Endura users have reported that the V1.5.1 update cured the freeze problem their units were experiencing. So you have a reformatted SD card (not an HDSC card)?

Now go to this link

and follow the steps to add the update to the card. If you follow the instructions you should have a card with v 1.5.1. Then insert it into your Out&Back and it should install it. If you have tried this and it was unsuccessful, try a brand new card.

(I am not sure about the installer.exe on your card.I will check on this)

Hi I have a major problem with my Endura Out & Back, the screen has frozen on the boot screen, there was nothing I can do to get it to reset, the only thing I was able to do was to hook up the data cable and about every 4th or 5th time the gps unit will go into data transfer mode and work. I would like to see if the 1.5 firmware update might help get this unit working normal again. I bought the unit second hand so I'm sure there is no warranty. It currently has 1.2 firmware and the last time I was able to get it working I reset it back to factory defaults and removed the sd card and it still won't boot past the spash screen. My question is, I've refomated the sd card and the only file I see to extract onto the sd card is called installer.exe ... Is the GPS looking for the file "Installer.exe" or something else? I might only get one chance to upload it so I want make sure it's the correct file name. I tried to call Lowrance today and they are closed for the holidays.

OK thank you, the SD card is a 2GB Kingston and is not a HDSC, I was using it in a Garmin Etrex HCX and reformated it to use with the Lowrance. I'm using WinRAR to extract to the SD card and it transfered the file called Installer.exe to the card. If I look whats inside Installer.exe its all programming codes so I'm 99% sure the GPS looks for the .exe file to boot from first. So far with the SD card and installer.exe file on there the GPS is still stuck on the boot screen.

I just bought a brand new endura out&back with the 1.5 update;however, i cannot download geocaches onto it. I have tried using easyGPS and GPS swiss army knife, and neither of them work. I have looked on many trouble shooting websites and this problem is never discussed.Have you ever heard of these containing viruses?Is mine defective?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I just bought a brand new endura out&back with the 1.5 update;however, i cannot download geocaches onto it. I have tried using easyGPS and GPS swiss army knife, and neither of them work. I have looked on many trouble shooting websites and this problem is never discussed.Have you ever heard of these containing viruses?Is mine defective?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I rarely use GSAK and have never used easyGPS. I have a Safari (at least will ahve again when the replacement arrives)

Here is how I loaded the caches into it. Connect the GPS unit to the computer and it should show as a removable drive. I downloaded the pocket query to my computer and the extracted the gpx files using winzip. I then dragged and dropped the gpx files directly into the unit folder called gpx. Didn't have a problem with that. A friend got a safari and he struggled to get to load from GSAK but he said he finally got it done. I didn't ask how because I really never bothered with GSAK. His unit also has a problem getting a fix though.

I see all this talk about the Endura software/firmware v 1.5.1 being the latest and greatest, as listed on the Lowrance support webpage.

When I check the software version in my Endura, it shows v 1.5.94843

What software version do I have? Is it newer than what is available from Lowrance support?

I had posted earlier that that was what was on mine 1.5.9....

I was told that the 1.5.1 was the latest and greatest. I upgraded but really didn't notice any changes. When I get my replacement unit next week I'll probably upgrade it since I assume it will come with the 1.5.9... like the last replacement did.

You have V1.5. The main enhancements are a fix for Out&back owners being able to load .LOC files and the map panning was improved for all Enduras. V1.5.1 is the newest software update. See the link in a previous posting.

I see all this talk about the Endura software/firmware v 1.5.1 being the latest and greatest, as listed on the Lowrance support webpage.

What software version do I have? Is it newer than what is available from Lowrance support?

You have V1.5. The main enhancements are a fix for Out&back owners being able to load .LOC files and the map panning was improved for all Enduras. V1.5.1 is the newest software update. See the link in a previous posting.

So, 1.5.9 is OLDER than 1.5.1?

Still after installing 1.5.1a firmware the sad news is this Endura Out&back just will not boot and still freezes on the boot screen without seeing any red LEDs flashing to show it's booting. I can play around taking the batteries out and letting the unit sit for a few minutes then it's just a coin toss if the unit will boot up or not. When it does great it works just fine but when it doesn't it might take up to 10 tries to get it to boot up by removing the batteries and trying again.

I've tried just the power button.

I've tried the "Soft Reset" (Pages & Power button)

I've tried the "Hard Reset" ( + - & Power button)

Still No Joy...

Lowrance is closed for the holidays but that's OK, I have other GPS's that I can use.

The one thing I'm noticing with Lowrance, Garmin and Magellan is they are trying so hard to cater to the geocaching community that they are throwing out GPS's that don't work and wait for the cachers to report the bugs, I wish they would all test their products in the field first in real weather conditions before selling them to the public. You should look at the GPS's I have here that I have bought and have had firmware problems with.

Magellan Explorist 400, Triton 400 & 500

Garmin Etrex Summit HC, Vista HCx, Etrex 20

Lowrance Endura Out&Back

The only unit I can depend on but I still have to write some parts of a cache down is my trusty Garmin Etrex Venture HC, it never fails me. All these others listed above all have had some type of problems from freezing screens to just plain not working in the field and having to reboot... It seems the more bells and whistles they try to add, the more problems creep up...

I hope in 2012 I can have a working Lowrance Endura Out&Back.

Here's what my firmware screen says....

Lowrance Endura

Version 1.5.95881 NA Out&Back

1.4,1.5.1a,1.2

NHHO1C-30-G1-223

Then all the Copyright stuff....

Edited by gtojerry

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

LadyBeeT4's method for downloading to your Out&Back is correct if you are a Premium Member of Geocaching.com, which you must be, to use the Pocket Query function. You should have received a coupon for a 30 day free trial membership in the Endura box. If you didn't get one let me know and I can get a coupon code for you.

Without a membership you can load .LOC files into your O&B from each cache page using your USB cable. You do not get the benefit of true paperless caching with .LOC files as you do with .GPX files.

Thanks for using this forum.

Just got off the phone with Lowrance and since I am the second owner of this unit... because of "THEIR FIRMWARE PROBLEM" I was told to ship the unit back and they would gladly send me a replacement unit for $159.00 plus $12.00 shipping, I told the lady NO... WHY??? To me Lowrance has not fixed their firmware problems and why should I pay for another problem prone GPS. It would have been nice to say, sir we know there are problems with this unit, please send it in for free "Refurblished" replacement... But no they didn't even offer to repair the unit just exchange it at cost, so what does that tell me? There's a flash chip problem. So now I see the game... Put out a bogus unit then when problems happen it cost you the same amount for a replacement... So I'll be selling this unit on either Craigslist or Ebay as broken, it has the Rockies SD card all for $75.00 if someone wants it PM me. But first I have to make a UTube video of the problems so anyone thinking of buying this model might want to think twice.

NOTE: Remember this is nothing I did, I'm just a geocacher and retired Motorola electronics technician... But in fact the problem is a GPS and firmware chip problem that they manufacture sells to the public and will not back up their product that is the real problem. Chinese chips, yes most likely.

At least when my wife's Magellan Explorist 400 went to the blue screen of death, Magellan gave us a RMA # and replaced the unit free and sent her a "Refurhished" Triton 400, it was nice of them because they know there was a "KNOWN BUG" and at least wanted to keep their customers happy. The 400 freezes up once in a while but not that bad to contact Magellan we just reboot it and go... Sorry Lowrance you lost another customer...

Just got off the phone with Lowrance and since I am the second owner of this unit... because of "THEIR FIRMWARE PROBLEM" I was told to ship the unit back and they would gladly send me a replacement unit for $159.00 plus $12.00 shipping, I told the lady NO... WHY??? To me Lowrance has not fixed their firmware problems and why should I pay for another problem prone GPS. It would have been nice to say, sir we know there are problems with this unit, please send it in for free "Refurblished" replacement... But no they didn't even offer to repair the unit just exchange it at cost, so what does that tell me? There's a flash chip problem. So now I see the game... Put out a bogus unit then when problems happen it cost you the same amount for a replacement... So I'll be selling this unit on either Craigslist or Ebay as broken, it has the Rockies SD card all for $75.00 if someone wants it PM me. But first I have to make a UTube video of the problems so anyone thinking of buying this model might want to think twice.

NOTE: Remember this is nothing I did, I'm just a geocacher and retired Motorola electronics technician... But in fact the problem is a GPS and firmware chip problem that they manufacture sells to the public and will not back up their product that is the real problem. Chinese chips, yes most likely.

At least when my wife's Magellan Explorist 400 went to the blue screen of death, Magellan gave us a RMA # and replaced the unit free and sent her a "Refurhished" Triton 400, it was nice of them because they know there was a "KNOWN BUG" and at least wanted to keep their customers happy. The 400 freezes up once in a while but not that bad to contact Magellan we just reboot it and go... Sorry Lowrance you lost another customer...

So Magellan replaced your wife's second hand Magellan Explorist 400 with a refurbished unit? That was pretty decent of them.

Try calling them again and if you get the same answer ask to speak to a supervisor. Work your way up the food chain. I've done that with other companies and it can work.

Yes shocked the heck out of me but we bought the unit new and had it for 5 or 6 years, when you call Magellan you don't get a technician you get a person in the Philippines with no technical background, they take the GPS information then transfer you over to another person in charge of the RMA's, you do have to give them a credit card number because they ship the replacement out the same day so if you fail to ship your bad unit back to Mitac you'll be charged for the replacement unit. So Mitac has no phone technicians to talk to. The lady I talked to at Lowrance sound like a non technical person and just hands out RMA's and where to ship it.... . Garmin on the other hand you do get a real technican on the phone and when I bought my Etrex Vista HCx there was a slight problem that the satellites wasn't picking up where my location was and the technician went and got the same unit and told me how to force the GPS to read my location. Since I'm a retired technician it's a big plus to get a live technical person because they know the workings of the units inside and out, call takers and RMA people are just that and saves these companies money,plus these units are made in China, it's cheaper to take the bad units and swap out the bad boards with new ones and send them out as refurbish replacements so they only employ a few technicians. I was so happy what Magellan did I went out and bought the Triton 500 I like the unit but sometime it locks up in the field and I have to reboot it. Sounds like all the new super units have this problem. I bought the Endura from my sons friend who tried geocaching and gave it up, the big WOW buying it from him was being able to upload 4000 caches to it, it lasted here 3 months or so then it started having the freezing up problems more and more. I tried re-uploading firmware versions 1.4 then 1.5.1a back again and it will work for 4 or 5 times before going back to the boot screen freeze. I bought the new Etrex 20 and it's freezing up in the field at times when you're under trees or quits when you get 50 feet from the caches, so again it's firmware problems. I just wish these companies would send out 50 units to hot shot cachers and log all the problems then fix them before releasing them in the field. I still own a Magellan GPS315 and Sportrak Map and they still work the same as when I took them out of their boxes. I'm not going to buy another GPS for a while until one of these companies gets their act together... With this Out&Back it's a pretty color picture that appears when you press the pwr button but that's it, no red LED flashes or booting takes place, I can leave it like that for 30 minutes and it's still the same... A pretty color picture. Have a great new years, I'm going caching I need 19 more to make it 500 before the end of the year.

Edited by gtojerry

LadyBee4T Thanks, I don't know if I'll waste anymore time with Lowrance, I was hoping that I would have been able to talk to a real live technician and not a call taker, just sad...

Sorry, I'm not really in the mood to go ladder chasing today, I had to put down one of my young dogs and 2 days later my mother in law passed away here on the 23rd so I think getting out caching and getting some fresh air is the best thing for me right now...

LadyBee4T Thanks, I don't know if I'll waste anymore time with Lowrance, I was hoping that I would have been able to talk to a real live technician and not a call taker, just sad...

Sorry, I'm not really in the mood to go ladder chasing today, I had to put down one of my young dogs and 2 days later my mother in law passed away here on the 23rd so I think getting out caching and getting some fresh air is the best thing for me right now...

I have sent you a PM regarding your postings. If you have a spam filter, please check your spam/junkmail folder.

Thanks

Just to follow up, I got to talk to a customer service rep today and described what the unit was doing. I'm mailing the Out&Back to Lowrance and a technician will be looking into the problem with the unit and possible cause. Thank you Lowrance Lady for the work you did for me. GTOJerry

You are welcome. I hope you are happy with the end result.

Just to follow up, I got to talk to a customer service rep today and described what the unit was doing. I'm mailing the Out&Back to Lowrance and a technician will be looking into the problem with the unit and possible cause. Thank you Lowrance Lady for the work you did for me. GTOJerry

Thank you very much

Here is the link for the recent Endura updates. These apply to all 3 models: Sierra, Safari, and Out&Back.

Endura Software updates

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Hello,

since three weeks my Out&Back shows me after a few minutes the Startingdisplay. After another minute it ist starting new and I must wait vor the GPS and start a new cache. Can you give me a hint to stop this?

Thank you DieTissi

Edited by dietissi

Hi Lowrance Lady or anyone else that can help,

I wonder if you can help me. Let me first say that I am a complete novice. I recently bought a endura safari. I am unable to get it to connect to my computer. I can go to "my computer" and see the endura file but am unable to open it. The software on the unit is V1.0.75655. I know that this is outdated. I previously uploaded the 1.5 software to my computer but was unable to get it to load into the handheld device. I have since gone to the endura software update link that you have provided. It appears that I will need a micro sd card in order to update my software. Is this correct? I plugged the device into my computer at work and it automatically linked to mapselect.

The above is my first problem. The second is that I have briefly looked at the base map on the unit and it seems to be woefully inadequate. I mainly fish in southern ontario canada and there is no canadian base map in the unit. How can this be? I had an old garmin, about 10 years old, that had a decent Canadian base map. I would still be using it if I hadn't dropped it and drove over it. I tried to find the map that I needed on map select but the area was unavailable. How can there not be a base map in the unit? Within one minute I can search and find geographical features that I can identify on a satelite photo on my ipod but not on my gps.

I am now seeing advertisements for garmins that say "world base map included". Did I buy the wrong unit? I mainly bought the lowrance due to the large buttons on the front that can be pushed while wearing gloves as my use is in the winter on snowmobile.

Can anyone give me any advice? Should I just throw this unit away? Does anyone want to buy it cheap?

Any help is appreciated....Thanks!!!!!

Your Safari came with the first software version, there have been several software enhancements since then. The V1.1 archive had Canadian Base Map included. Now we are up to 1.5.1. You will need a Micro SD Card to install it. Follow the instructions, a step at a time. (One step that some users seem to pass over is Step 2. You must extract the zip file to a new folder.) And be sure to put the extracted folder onto the Micro SD card.

Since you are a former Garmin owner you will experience some adjustments in how you use your Safari. But I got my first Endura for the same reasons you did. (I want warm hands) Now my husband and I both have one and are happy with them.

I wonder if you can help me. Let me first say that I am a complete novice. I recently bought a endura safari. I am unable to get it to connect to my computer. I can go to "my computer" and see the endura file but am unable to open it. The software on the unit is V1.0.75655. I know that this is outdated. I previously uploaded the 1.5 software to my computer but was unable to get it to load into the handheld device. I have since gone to the endura software update link that you have provided. It appears that I will need a micro sd card in order to update my software. Is this correct? I plugged the device into my computer at work and it automatically linked to mapselect.

The above is my first problem. The second is that I have briefly looked at the base map on the unit and it seems to be woefully inadequate. I mainly fish in southern ontario canada and there is no canadian base map in the unit. How can this be? I had an old garmin, about 10 years old, that had a decent Canadian base map. I would still be using it if I hadn't dropped it and drove over it. I tried to find the map that I needed on map select but the area was unavailable. How can there not be a base map in the unit? Within one minute I can search and find geographical features that I can identify on a satelite photo on my ipod but not on my gps.

I am now seeing advertisements for garmins that say "world base map included". Did I buy the wrong unit? I mainly bought the lowrance due to the large buttons on the front that can be pushed while wearing gloves as my use is in the winter on snowmobile.

Can anyone give me any advice? Should I just throw this unit away? Does anyone want to buy it cheap?

Edited by Lowrance Lady

Thank you!!

This is the info that I need to know. I will try to get things updated in the next couple of days and let you know how it went. Good to know that there is now a Canadian base map.

Your Safari came with the first software version, there have been several software enhancements since then. The V1.1 archive had Canadian Base Map included. Now we are up to 1.5.1. You will need a Micro SD Card to install it. Follow the instructions, a step at a time. (One step that some users seem to pass over is Step 2. You must extract the zip file to a new folder.) And be sure to put the extracted folder onto the Micro SD card.

Since you are a former Garmin owner you will experience some adjustments in how you use your Safari. But I got my first Endura for the same reasons you did. (I want warm hands) Now my husband and I both have one and are happy with them.

Hello. Well I just purchased a Safari to coincide with our rejoining the geocaching hobby after 6 years. It has 1.5.9xxxx installed from the factory and has a Northeast TOPO card installed as well. I certainly like the paperless caching functionality and although I'm still getting used to it, I have come across a couple bugs that the Lowrance developers should look into.

1. When changing the zoom level, geocaches are present at 6mi but disappear at 3mi and then they reappear at 1.8 mi. This is 100% reproducible whether approaching the 3mi scale from above or below.

2. The scrolling of the cursor across the map is very "clunky", it doesn't seem to track in a very controlled manner.

Hopefully the Lowrance tech folks watch this site to help with product improvement ideas from the user community.