Found Black Lab while caching today

jbar

Out solo caching on the Metacomet trail today, was 2 caches in and came upon a black lab tied by his leash in the middle of the trail. There was a car in the parking lot, at first I thought the owner had tired the dog and gone off to do something. The dog looked tired and thirsty like he'd been there a while. I decided to give hime some water and take hime with me. We did the rest of the caches in the series and didn't see anyone on the trail. When we got back to the parking area the other car was gone. I checked the dogs collar and his address was a 1/2 mile up the road. He happily got in the car and I gave hime a ride home. Appently he had gotten loose the day before and they were very happy to see him. Glad I was able to bring him home. Having 3 dogs myself I would have been frantic if one was missing. All in all it was a great day caching. Another caching adventure.B)

So glad that you found that poor dog and gave him a ride home. What I can't believe is that someone found him before you did and tied him to the tree without looking for tags or someelse that would give them idea of what to do with him. I would have done the same thing as you did looking for tags and trying to get the poor fellow back to his owners.

Thanks for doing such a great thing.It would have been easier to "let the next person" worry about the dog,but you took the time and effort to do the right thing.I believe, without a doubt, you will be rewarded (god,karma,or whatever your belief is,I don't want to be presumptuous )for your wonderful act of kindness.

Oh, goodness! We had a heartbreaking day finding a dog out while out caching as well. We came upon a mix breed chocolate lab and he was so hungry he was trying to eat poison ivy. We called out to the people who were fishing nearby and they said it wasn't their dog but we could have it. <_<:surprise: Our daughter was very upset and it was all we could do to drive away but there wasn't any space in our car and we were away from home caching. We have no idea what the real story was. :blink: I am so glad your story has a happy ending!

When I see a dog while geocaching, I pick up a nearby stick (for safety), and stay still until it goes away. If it gets too close, I whack it first, ask questions later, luckily, one never got that close to me.

Not a huge fan of dogs... <_<

EDIT: Unless of course I know the owner, I was at an event today and met some really nice dogs. Just too afraid of dogs in the woods.

EDIT2: BTW, dogs in the woods could have rabies.

Edited by Coldgears

I've found two strays while caching, both sweet good puppy dogs. I had to leave one (a pup) since I was out of state and he was afraid of me. I left some food and a container of water. The other I found in the next county north of my county of residence. I picked this dog up. He was in rough shape and I took him to the local SPCA. They would not take him because I wasn't a resident of that county. Ridiculous laws like that I do not understand. I took him home, cleaned him up, and found a great home for him three days later.

I've found two strays while caching, both sweet good puppy dogs. I had to leave one (a pup) since I was out of state and he was afraid of me. I left some food and a container of water. The other I found in the next county north of my county of residence. I picked this dog up. He was in rough shape and I took him to the local SPCA. They would not take him because I wasn't a resident of that county. Ridiculous laws like that I do not understand. I took him home, cleaned him up, and found a great home for him three days later.

Thank you so much for doing that. I have a lot of gratitude for you taking the time to save a life!

When I see a dog while geocaching, I pick up a nearby stick (for safety), and stay still until it goes away. If it gets too close, I whack it first, ask questions later, luckily, one never got that close to me.

EDIT: Unless of course I know the owner, I was at an event today and met some really nice dogs. Just too afraid of dogs in the woods.

EDIT2: BTW, dogs in the woods could have rabies.

Be very careful with that stick thing. A stick isn't much of an obsticle to a dog that really wants to get you, and it could be seen as a thread to a dog that is already feeling fearful and defensive.

Extremely rare that a dog in the woods would have rabies.

It was just to hot out. I could'nt have left him. If he didn't have the address on the collar I would have brought him home. The women at the door when I dropped him off must have hugged me 10 times. Just glad it worked out. I was worried when I untied the dog that his owner would come back to find him missing.

Out solo caching on the Metacomet trail today, was 2 caches in and came upon a black lab tied by his leash in the middle of the trail. There was a car in the parking lot, at first I thought the owner had tired the dog and gone off to do something. The dog looked tired and thirsty like he'd been there a while. I decided to give hime some water and take hime with me. We did the rest of the caches in the series and didn't see anyone on the trail. When we got back to the parking area the other car was gone. I checked the dogs collar and his address was a 1/2 mile up the road. He happily got in the car and I gave hime a ride home. Appently he had gotten loose the day before and they were very happy to see him. Glad I was able to bring him home. Having 3 dogs myself I would have been frantic if one was missing. All in all it was a great day caching. Another caching adventure.B)

I hope you traded up!!

In all seriousness great job!

If I ever see you, I'll be sure to give you the same treatment.

You could have rabies for all I know.

Except, I was actually attacked by a dog at the age of 10 in the woods. I'm sure you say the same to a rape victim who says, "If I see a man while in an empty lot, I pull out my Pepper Spray (for safety)"

It was just to hot out. I could'nt have left him. If he didn't have the address on the collar I would have brought him home. The women at the door when I dropped him off must have hugged me 10 times. Just glad it worked out. I was worried when I untied the dog that his owner would come back to find him missing.

Thank You for your kindness. :) Our black lab was a stray when we got her. We had her for over 15 years and had to put her down last November. She went with me on my first find in 2002 and many caches after that. Still miss her a lot. :sad:

Except, I was actually attacked by a dog at the age of 10 in the woods. I'm sure you say the same to a rape victim who says, "If I see a man while in an empty lot, I pull out my Pepper Spray (for safety)"

Lol did you just compare yourself to a rape victim?

You win! I'm bowing out!

Lol did you just compare yourself to a rape victim?

You win! I'm bowing out!

I'm sorry. I don't want to agitate you. We are close enough that we will probably meet at an event, and I was just afraid you were going to attack me with a stick in public. No hard feelings.