What would I list this as?

Hi everyone, I am new here and figured it was best to ask my questions here first. I have never hidden a cache before so this will be my first. Since it is my first I want it to be a good one. Opinions are welcome.

I have a really good idea for a hide but unsure how to list it once I set it up. Basically the gps cordinates will not give you an exact location of the cache. It will however put you very close to the sort of puzzle you have to work out to find it. Puzzle works with the clues that will be given. That leads you to the final clue which is in the same area. The cache will be in this immediate area as all these clues but it will be so well hidden that you will need them to find it. What would something like this be listed as? I don't want to go into too much more detail on this incase someone in the area reads this. I don't want to give it away afterall.

That would be a mystery cache, or a multi cache.

It would be a multi if it involves "stages" (ie go to stage one, and find hidden clue to stage two OR go to stage one, count number of alder trees and add that to x to find stage two) If there are no stages, and just one puzzle, that would be a mystery.

It's a puzzle or a mystery cache (icon = ?). You needn't place the cachers AT the cache, but you do need to inform them of where to find the "pieces" to the puzzle (and, it helps to tell them on the cache page, that the cache is not at the provided coordinates).

Your profile shows that you have no (logged) finds. I would STRONGLY recommend that you do some caching (finding) first, before (attempting) to place any.

Too, there is a lot to read about before you jump into the fire: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php.

Good luck.

Since you're asking advice, I would really suggest you find some caches before you place any.

That is the best learning tool you can have. That will tell you a whole lot more than we ever can.

Find each type of cache so you will really have a good idea on which one your cache is.

That will tell you SO MUCH MORE than we can with 30 pages of forums posts.

Also, please see the pages on "how to hide a cache". There are links to the knowledge books at the top of the forum pages.

Yea I am planning on finding some here in the next few days. Right now this is just an idea and i will probably fine tune it after finding other caches and seeing how they did it. I was already planning on doing it that way anyway. I've been reading and watching youtube videos on it for the past 2 days now. I'm ready to go find some but can't because i am stuck at work. Once I get a few free days my hunting will begin.

The rules for cache placement can be pretty complicated, there is a lot to account for beyond what type to list as.

It's like riding a bike though, once you get comfortable with the guidlines, and get good at hiding caches, you'll wonder what the hang up was.

You'll probably run into proximity rule issues on your first hide. Most of us do. It's something that you learn to deal with through experience.

Happy caching.

Hi everyone, I am new here and figured it was best to ask my questions here first. I have never hidden a cache before so this will be my first. Since it is my first I want it to be a good one. Opinions are welcome.

I have a really good idea for a hide but unsure how to list it once I set it up. Basically the gps cordinates will not give you an exact location of the cache. It will however put you very close to the sort of puzzle you have to work out to find it. Puzzle works with the clues that will be given. That leads you to the final clue which is in the same area. The cache will be in this immediate area as all these clues but it will be so well hidden that you will need them to find it. What would something like this be listed as? I don't want to go into too much more detail on this incase someone in the area reads this. I don't want to give it away afterall.

I think you already know by reading your post.

If you have to work out a puzzle, it's probably a Puzzle.

The issue you may have, is one of GPS usage. At some point in the search, the use of exact GPS coordinates is required. You text doesn't really say that the posted coordinates lead you directly to the actual puzzle location. If it does, you're OK (and you need to make it clear in the description, or your reviewer will probably question you about it). If not, you'll need to fix it.

If you have to work out a puzzle, it's probably a Puzzle.

The issue you may have, is one of GPS usage. At some point in the search, the use of exact GPS coordinates is required. You text doesn't really say that the posted coordinates lead you directly to the actual puzzle location. If it does, you're OK (and you need to make it clear in the description, or your reviewer will probably question you about it). If not, you'll need to fix it.

I was thinking it would be a puzzle but wasnt sure if it fell under multi as well. The gps would take the person directly to the clue.

It sounds like a mystery/puzzle cache to me, with an on-site puzzle. I've found a few of those, and have enjoyed them a lot.

Be sure to point out that they need to go to the published coordinates to start solving the puzzle. The published coordinates of most mystery/puzzle caches are bogus, so a lot of people will expect your published coordinates to be bogus unless you tell them otherwise.

As others have suggested, be sure you read and understand the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines. Finding a number of mystery/puzzle caches may also help you see what kinds of things work well in others' caches.

Too bad I'm thousands of miles away...

[edit: fix BBCode]

Edited by niraD

Ok it will probably be a mystery then. The puzzle will span about 20 feet radius but all the clues and cache are in that area. Doesn't require you to leave the area after reading the clue.

If you hide a cache container within 20 feet of the listed coordinates, an experienced cacher isn't going to need to solve the puzzle. They will just find the container. Even if it's hidden really well.

GPS accuracy is such that geocaches are almost never found exactly at the listed coordinates. A 20' search radius is perfectly normal.

Go find some caches. Find a couple of puzzle caches and multi caches to see how they work. Find a few traditional caches, too. Then re-think this one.