Tree climbing cache.

I understand that. I know I can call my canoe a boat and it would fine. I'm just talking about having more specific attributes.

Ie Tree climbing attribute as opposed to a mountain climbing one. Maybe we don't need that. But I would have found is useful on a few T5 "boating" caches here that aren't suitable for my canoe.

I wasn't trying to say a canoe isn't a boat. It was kind of twisted around that way by another poster.

My point was in favor of more specific attributes such as tree climbing.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
I never refer to my canoe as a boat. Lol.

I do, and I know lots of other people who do also. So as far as I'm concerned, "boat required" is quite accurate for canoe/kayak caches where larger boats wouldn't work.

But maybe that's because I'm not a native speaker of English, and in German the distinction between boat and ship is quite clear. I never understood those frequent silly dialogues in movies, where one person says "that's a big boat" and the other replies "it's not a boat, it's a ship" or something along those lines. :huh: Sounds like there could be a common misconception in English.

Das Boot!

I never refer to my canoe as a boat. Lol.

I do, and I know lots of other people who do also. So as far as I'm concerned, "boat required" is quite accurate for canoe/kayak caches where larger boats wouldn't work.

But maybe that's because I'm not a native speaker of English, and in German the distinction between boat and ship is quite clear. I never understood those frequent silly dialogues in movies, where one person says "that's a big boat" and the other replies "it's not a boat, it's a ship" or something along those lines. :huh: Sounds like there could be a common misconception in English.

Das Boot!

Please stop following me into threads and posting nonsense. I've reported you to the Mods.

Das Boot!

Good movie! Not sure what you want to say with that though :laughing:

It's the only German I know that has to do with a boat. Actually a submarine is a ship but they call them boats. Being an ex-navy man, I learned the difference between a ship and a boat is that a boat can be carried on a ship but not the other way around, but they both have a keel. Something as confusing as that can make you want to go climb a tree.

Edited by GC Addicted

Make sure you set Terrain 4 or 4.5 and use the new Tree Climbing Attribute that was just added today. :)

Also make sure it's not somewhere that the tree climbing would be an issue. Many parks have No Tree Climbing signs.

No way!! I have never seen a No Tree Climbing sign in my life!! Where have you seen them?

Make sure you set Terrain 4 or 4.5 and use the new Tree Climbing Attribute that was just added today. :)

Also make sure it's not somewhere that the tree climbing would be an issue. Many parks have No Tree Climbing signs.

Also make sure it's not in Calgary :ph34r:

The Tree Protection Bylaw prohibits:

... attaching any object or sign to trees on City land.

I ran a PQ of boat required aches and I couldn't do many of them. Because I don't have a boat.

I don't tell people, "I have a boat." I say I have a kayak.

My view on this is kind of backward. Other than extended trips in open ocean, (which I lack the skills for), mostly any area that a motor boat can get to, I can get to with my kayak. But the opposite is often not true, as most of my "vessel required" caches cannot be accessed by anything that has a draft deeper than a foot or so.

My wife and I have a tree hide, She is very short, so I let her do the placement of the actual cache to ensure more people would be able to get it. It maybe the easiest climb ever (the tree is at a slight angle and you can basically run up it if you are brave. so I rated it 3.5 terrain.

Honestly, thats as low as I'd go for a climbing cache and if it wasn't the easiest climb ever I'd call it a 4. Its better for people to show up ready, than to waste their time.

I still gave it a "difficult climbing" attribute to help people PQ it out if they don't wanna climb, and as a "clever" hint.

EDIT: Oh! There is a more appropriate tree climbing attribute!? I'm there! off to edit.

Edited by d+n.s
Lots of cheaters tried to claim smilies on this one: indiana Tree cache

Technically, it's not cheating. Those folks just have a different definition of "Found It" than we do. After all, if they can point it out, they have "found" it... sorta. I took part in a CITO at an island on the Space Coast a while back. Capaldo (or was it Rogue23?) has a cache way up in a tree on the island. With my boogered up knee, I couldn't make the first step. It required lifting your foot up past your belt. Everything past that point was pretty easy. I just couldn't make the first step. Eventually, some kind hearted soul climbed up and passed the cache down to me. I signed the log, passed it back up the tree and logged it as a note. The owner emailed me, saying I should log a find on it, but it just didn't feel like one. He had created a very specific challenge for the cache, and I didn't meet that challenge. Other people who didn't make the climb logged it as a find. I don't consider them cheaters. Apparently, neither does the owner.

Techically, it IS cheating. Of course, a cache owner could allow smilies for "finds" even if the finder never got within a mile of the cache, that's his right. But if you don't SIGN THE LOGBOOK, it ain't a find...at least according to the guidelines as published by Groundspeak.

I had one I found that I marked as a find but did not sign it. This one was a bison tube low in a tree. There was a car parked facing it with a guy on the phone looking at me as I searched around. I spotted the green tube but felt that pulling it out to sign and then putting it back would be to much to do in front of this muggler. I think it was still a find but better not to sign.

-WarNinjas

I love climbing trees, and I would like to hide a tree climbing cache. Any feedback or advice? :grin:

Go for it!! I have place many tree climbing caches and it seems that most everyone likes to do them for the most part. But like already said, rate the cache appropriately and add the attributes. Have fun placing it!! :-D

My wife and I have a tree hide, She is very short, so I let her do the placement of the actual cache to ensure more people would be able to get it. It maybe the easiest climb ever (the tree is at a slight angle and you can basically run up it if you are brave. so I rated it 3.5 terrain.

Honestly, thats as low as I'd go for a climbing cache and if it wasn't the easiest climb ever I'd call it a 4. Its better for people to show up ready, than to waste their time.

I still gave it a "difficult climbing" attribute to help people PQ it out if they don't wanna climb, and as a "clever" hint.

EDIT: Oh! There is a more appropriate tree climbing attribute!? I'm there! off to edit.

Thank you! :)

I love climbing trees, and I would like to hide a tree climbing cache. Any feedback or advice? :grin:

Go for it!! I have place many tree climbing caches and it seems that most everyone likes to do them for the most part. But like already said, rate the cache appropriately and add the attributes. Have fun placing it!! :-D

Exactly. Hide those tree climbing caches. Rate them appropriately and use attributes and you make everyone happy, both the people who like to climb trees and the people who can't climb them or don't want to take the risk. :)

While reading this thread the issue of rating a tree climbing attribute comes up: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=294704&st=0&gopid=5027942entry5027942

Is there some consensus on minimum rating for the tree climbing attribute? Looking at the rating guidelines, it appears if you need to use your hands to climb an elevation, the rating starts at 4. (http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=82) Some of the above posts indicate a minimum of 3-4.

(It seems the tree climbing cache conversation is already going here, so rather than steer the other thread in a different direction, I thought to revive this discussion.)

I agree that if you use your hands to climb, it should be at least a 4.

You've got to remember, that those tree caches may be fine for a 12 year old, or 16 year old, but a great deal of the cachers out there are over 50 and haven't climbed a tree in 35 years. It's not going to be very easy.

I've done 5 caches that were easier than some of the tree climbs I've attempted. Like the one this week. He rated it a 4.5 which is fair. I didn't make it even part of the way up. I had the wrong shoes anyway (didn't know I was going to it, or even that it was there) and slipped and my full weight was on the center of one of my arm bones. If I didn't have such strong bones it would have snapped. I got down. No cache. I've done 5's that were easier.

Most of my life I was not afraid of heights, but later I started to get nervous sometimes. So it depends for me how high and if the branches are not sturdy enough. But I'm sure there are a lot of monkeys out there who just love to climb.

This one was safe for me. Plus it always help to spot the cache before climbing up.

66585_1666608065069_1233305869_1867746_2682627_n.jpg

A few others from the central Ohio area have already posted in this thread about the climbs we have around here. Our unofficial terrain rating guide is that if it requires a climb it is a 3.5. 4s typically are higher, require a lane change, or are a more difficult entry. 4.5s are typically extreme climbs and 5s require climbing equipment.

my friend at work broke her arm retreiving a tree cache. luckily she was with two other cachers who were able to call for help. she doesnt blame the cache - when she healed a few months later she went back and got the cache.

I want to hide a tree cache but I'm afraid of this happening.

Here's another example of tree climbing cache where that happened (warning, one of the photos is not pleasant): GC1BT3N

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
another example of tree climbing cache where that happened (warning, one of the photos is not pleasant): GC1BT3N

From reading that it was not someone looking for the cache but rather the CO's brother. Obviously both of the were clueless about climbing and safety. I feel bad that he talked his brother into getting hurt because of a lack of knowledge. If you do not have the proper training do not attempt rope climbing in trees or anywhere else.