Trackable Traveler's Stick

Graywriter

The description of the new trackable break-down walking stick says that it will "easily stow away in an airplane overhead bin."

Hmm. Last time I flew to the states, the security folks made me throw away a keyring multitool with a 1" blade "because it could be used as a weapon". (I carefully refrained from pointing out that my 1.5" car key or a sharpened credit card would make a far more effective weapon than my mini-pliers set!)

Given the current state of affairs in US airports, where six-year old girls get pat-downs and I hear it's now illegal to even make wisecracks about your cavity search, I can't see the TSA allowing anybody to take a sharp pointy stick onto an airplane, even if it is broken down into three shorter pieces.

Comments?

Edited by Graywriter

I'm sure they stow nicely in overhead bins on most air planes. What TSA does to prevent you from doing so is an every changing and for no apparent reason sort of way - but what do you expect of a young and powerful Fed agency. I'm still trying to figure how my toothpaste is a threat to society or air travel... they clearly aren't familiar with my breath!!

I'm sure they stow nicely in overhead bins on most air planes. What TSA does to prevent you from doing so is an every changing and for no apparent reason sort of way - but what do you expect of a young and powerful Fed agency. I'm still trying to figure how my toothpaste is a threat to society or air travel... they clearly aren't familiar with my breath!!

Its not the tooth past but what a terrorist could put into the tooth paste tube the could be mixed with other substances from other small containers to create a bomb.

I used to work for Customs when I was in the Army. You would be surprised what you can put in a tube of toothpaste! Same thing goes with shaving cream, hairspray and body/underarm spray cans.

When I was making poor life choices we'd cut the tops or bottoms off of every day cans to store stuff and then put them back on like nothing happened. Hardly a soul was to the wiser.

All of which is very interesting, but to get back to my question. Geocaching.com promotes this item thus:

"When disassembled, the entire unit is only around 19 inches long, so it'll easily stow away in an airplane overhead bin..."

I'm sure there would be no problem with shipping it, but do you really think the TSA would allow a sturdy 55" stick (even broken into three sections) in carry-on baggage?

I sincerely doubt it. But I don't know and I'm hoping someone out there may have a definitive answer.

do you really think the TSA would allow a sturdy 55" stick (even broken into three sections) in carry-on baggage?
I very much doubt it

you might get it past a few inspectors, and then come up against one who will have none of it

eventually, some inspector will see the larger section as a night-stick

or another who will see two of the sections at a set of nunchucks

or another who suspects that they are hollow and contain dangerous substances

etc, etc, etc

and I would strongly advise against doing any "experiments" with something that you are not willing to lose

TSA decisions are typically absolute and final

I can't imagine them backing down if you say "but they said that it was okay on the Groundspeak forums"

as noted above, what is forbidden and allowed is pretty fluid

from day to day, airport to airport, inspector to inspector

don't forget that the TSA is the agency that once confiscated nail clippers at the gate, but allowed their sale at the gift shops once you got through

my strategy has been to put everything that I can into a checked bag

I have found that it makes for a much quicker pass through security

Edited by Bhob

Heck I've seen people get on with giant knitting needles..way more dangerous then a pair of pliers!

Maybe if you use the walking stick as a walking aid, then break it down into the parts when you get on the plane? I've seen several people with canes getting on and off planes.. Of course you could just pack it in your suite case instead to be safer..

All of which is very interesting, but to get back to my question. Geocaching.com promotes this item thus:

"When disassembled, the entire unit is only around 19 inches long, so it'll easily stow away in an airplane overhead bin..."

I'm sure there would be no problem with shipping it, but do you really think the TSA would allow a sturdy 55" stick (even broken into three sections) in carry-on baggage?

I sincerely doubt it. But I don't know and I'm hoping someone out there may have a definitive answer.

As Groundspeak have made the statement, then they should go and test it out! (I'm being reasonably serious when I say this)

They've planted the idea that it would be allowed on an airplane so they should test it to see if that is the case.

Or maybe it comes with a disclaimer along the lines of "We said it would stow in an airplane overhead bin... we didn't say you'd get it that far!" :laughing: