Muggle of the Month

Although " geocacher of the month" is a good way to recognize outstanding cachers, there are also many non-cachers who contribute to the game. People who know about caching, but do not at the moment, and probably will not go caching.

Who would you nominate for this imaginary title, and why?

I can picture a few land managers, but there are also other scenarios where a friendly muggle helps out, or adds some kind of positive contribution to the game. Have any stories?

Hmmmmmmm...

Is a person that creates an account JUST to post on these forums (a few times within the last couple of months) about a cache, TB, or problem they found, count as being a muggle? Or are they now a "non"-muggle because they have an account?

Looking to define muggle, really.

(how's that for a monkey-wrench?)

Hmmmmmmm...

Is a person that creates an account JUST to post on these forums (a few times within the last couple of months) about a cache, TB, or problem they found, count as being a muggle? Or are they now a "non"-muggle because they have an account?

Looking to define muggle, really.

(how's that for a monkey-wrench?)

They would be a muggle because technically they are not a geocacher. If they did it for a positive reason, then that would fit the topic well. If they logged a find on the account, then they would be a "former muggle".

Im assuming that they found the cache accidentally, and helped out with it in some way. If it was purposely sought out, then they are a cacher.

I believe that was piddlepuss. There were no winners there.

She was a winner as I recall. Quite the classy lady dsepite the debacle surrounding her.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree she handled herself with aplomb. But I'm pretty sure she left here in virtual tears and is extraordinarily unlikely ever to return again. As classy as she was, I'm certain she regrets her decision to post here.

Anybody remember that dear sweet old lady that created an account to tell us about a micro on her raised bed hairloom squash garden?

Ahhh.... here ya go! Piddlepuss (I'm serious!): http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=256117&view=findpost&p=4419595

Hi Ashnikes. I see you're up to your old tricks again. Now your hacking into the knowschad account? :rolleyes:

I think Piddlepuss handled herself exceptionally well, and considering what she went through, probably would be eligible for an imaginary "muggle of the month" award. Good example. Any others?

I would think a geocacher's mother would be ineligible because technically speaking someone who already knows indirectly about geocaching is not a muggle, right? I have heard the term squib a few times used, but not sure its that common.

Have not any good muggle nominations this month. We have this one cache in Edmonds called Quan Is The Coolest or something like that. The cache is on his property. However, every single time a geocacher is caught looking for it, he seemingly pretends to not know about it and asks what they are doing and looks confused when they show him the container. I was 2nd or 3rd to find, so I thought it possible he did not know back then, but now after dozens of finds he is still pretending to not know what folks are doing.

Thus, if I had to nominate someone, it would be Quan, for pretending to be a muggle so well.

recent log: July 21 (fixed a few spellings)

I have to agree with Rod on this one....I PAF'd to make sure I could put my hands there too...then I made the grab...Quan doesn't know about this cache though or even about geocaching...I tried to explain it to him when he came out and curiously looked at me...did my best but I think he was quite confused...TFTC

course, he has been shown many times before this!

Edited by lamoracke

I would think a geocacher's mother would be ineligible because technically speaking someone who already knows indirectly about geocaching is not a muggle, right? I have heard the term squib a few times used, but not sure its that common.

Have not any good muggle nominations this month. We have this one cache in Edmonds called Quan Is The Coolest or something like that. The cache is on his property. However, every single time a geocacher is caught looking for it, he seemingly pretends to not know about it and asks what they are doing and looks confused when they show him the container. I was 2nd or 3rd to find, so I thought it possible he did not know back then, but now after dozens of finds he is still pretending to not know what folks are doing.

Thus, if I had to nominate someone, it would be Quan, for pretending to be a muggle so well.

recent log: July 21 (fixed a few spellings)

I have to agree with Rod on this one....I PAF'd to make sure I could put my hands there too...then I made the grab...Quan doesn't know about this cache though or even about geocaching...I tried to explain it to him when he came out and curiously looked at me...did my best but I think he was quite confused...TFTC

course, he has been shown many times before this!

So he knows all about the cache, but pretends not to?

He could be awarded funniest fake muggle of the month, but he would have plenty of competition from other cachers that do the same thing, especially to FTFers. :D

August 27, 2010

I found this today! Oh boy, what an adventure. I spent about 20 minutes figuring out the easy online puzzle... I spent more time then I should have! Assuming the puzzle at the cache would be just as easy we left to get the cache. We found the cache after "digging" a little through the leaves. So I go over to the sidewalk and open up the puzzle. We spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out... We just don't know my dog breeds (I only knew a few such as a beagle because my aunt has one and a dalmatian... Because it's a dalmatian)! We had to look up the pictures on the "cheat sheet" on google images... And even then we had major trouble. I never thought I would finish it! That was, until the lady that worked at the women's humane society came up to us and asked us what we were doing. I told her the truth... We were geocaching! She said she heard of it before and was really curious about the whole thing. Luckily for us, she knew all her dog breeds. She made a puzzle that would have taken a few more hours of painstaking google searching into a quick 2-4 minute puzzle... Once I got the correct coords I noticed it was a drive, I asked her if she wanted to follow us to the final as it was really close. She said she really didn't have anything else to do! We drove to the correct parking lot after a few dumb moves... (Going into the wrong parking lot.) We walked the path up to the cache, and as she was a lady she didn't come with me to get it. I bushwhacked through all the grass (luckily no poison ivy or thorn bushes). I then found in pretty quickly. I gave her the GC code so she could look it up when she got home, and gave told her the name of the website.

TL:DR

Couldn't solve a very hard puzzle, person working at vetinarians helped me solve puzzle.

Edited by Coldgears

Sure, my very first find with my daughter. The shop owner obviously had seen a few geocachers that go over to the spot near the wall looking around... came out and said "You need something to stand on to see it.. not sure what it is but lots of people go over there!"

Gave us a smile and a laugh.. although we thought we were masters of stealth! They could obviously see us easily through the shop window :)

Anybody remember that dear sweet old lady that created an account to tell us about a micro on her raised bed hairloom squash garden?

Or the guy that posted here recently about trying to talk to geocaches he was watching find a cache near his house and getting the cold shoulder. Or that hitchiker and the person that picked him up that grabbed a cache container and came to the forums to try to find out how to get it replaced at it's original location.

Seems like that there are quite a few muggles that could be nominated for this "award" and the only ones that we really here about are those that take the initiative to find the geocaching forums site, create an account, and post their story.

Ahhh.... here ya go! Piddlepuss (I'm serious!): http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=256117&view=findpost&p=4419595

Hi Ashnikes. I see you're up to your old tricks again. Now your hacking into the knowschad account? :rolleyes:

I think Piddlepuss handled herself exceptionally well, and considering what she went through, probably would be eligible for an imaginary "muggle of the month" award. Good example. Any others?

What ever happened to Ashnikes? I remember his forum postings, and I even found a few of his caches in Cocoa. They weren't bad.

I nominate WanderingWoodsman as muggle of the month for getting an older, awesome cache archived according to this thread.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Or the guy that posted here recently about trying to talk to geocaches he was watching find a cache near his house and getting the cold shoulder. Or that hitchiker and the person that picked him up that grabbed a cache container and came to the forums to try to find out how to get it replaced at it's original location.

Seems like that there are quite a few muggles that could be nominated for this "award" and the only ones that we really here about are those that take the initiative to find the geocaching forums site, create an account, and post their story.

You are talking about Frank Kliewer in this thread

....who managed a team which created the first interactive GIS mapping application for the Internet 15 years ago.

Yes, he would definitely qualify.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Sure, my very first find with my daughter. The shop owner obviously had seen a few geocachers that go over to the spot near the wall looking around... came out and said "You need something to stand on to see it.. not sure what it is but lots of people go over there!"

Gave us a smile and a laugh.. although we thought we were masters of stealth! They could obviously see us easily through the shop window :)

They would qualify also, as unknown muggle of the month. :D

I found a new cache earlier today. A muggle was napping on a bench about 30 feet away. There were 3 people there who had gotten the FTF just before I arrived. He had dozed off while watching them. When he awoke, they were gone but I was in the exact spot doing the same thing they had been doing, which freaked him out a little. :D Surprised muggle of the month perhaps. :lol:

Ok, for a quick recap for the imaginary "Muggle of the Month" Award, so far for the contenders we have:

• Mr EFQ's mother
  • Piddlepuss, who found a cache in her garden and handled it well, despite the paranoid conditioned response of a few people in here.
  • Quan, who is not a muggle, but plays one in his yard.
  • A nice lady who Coldgears met who helped him solve a puzzle, and then followed him to the cache.
  • A shopkeeper that jgc3 met, who helped him find the cache, but had no idea what it was.
  • Frank Kliewer who managed a team which created the first interactive GIS mapping application for the Internet 15 years ago, but was dismissed as a "muggle" in front of his house.
  • A hitchiker and the person that picked him up that grabbed a cache container and came to the forums to try to find out how to get it replaced at it's original location in a thread that I remember, but cannot locate.
  • A raccoon, and a few skunks that Kabuthunk thought were cute.
  • A muggle in Vegas that Swineflew ran into, but of which the story stays in Vegas.
  • Knowschad's avatar without the hat.

Any others?

I feel like that I'm digging for gold in a copper mine. :D

How about my neighbor? Has no idea what geocaching is and probably never will. Doesn't get any more muggly than that!

Yes, but why would they deserve special recognization? Because they have to put up with you? :D Really, how did they do something positive here? Did you hide a cache on your front lawn, and someone dug through their peonias? What now?

This is adorable. And skunk smell isn't that bad.

I am presuming that you are speaking of road kill that has been there who knows how long before you passed?

Perhaps you should set yourself up to get sprayed by a skunk.

When you are finished with the hours of retching and barfing, then come and tell us it isn't that bad.

A whiff of the old and a douse of the fresh is two entirely different things!

It's funny, 'cuz dogs, horses, cattle and even bears run from skunk perfume.

How about my neighbor? Has no idea what geocaching is and probably never will. Doesn't get any more muggly than that!

Yes, but why would they deserve special recognization? Because they have to put up with you? :D Really, how did they do something positive here? Did you hide a cache on your front lawn, and someone dug through their peonias? What now?

Oh, I just figured "muggle of the month" would have to be someone who's an exceptionally good muggle. Since the definition of being a muggle is someone who isn't aware of geocaching, someone who has absolutely no clue about it would be the best muggle ever. See? :lol:

Oh, I just figured "muggle of the month" would have to be someone who's an exceptionally good muggle. Since the definition of being a muggle is someone who isn't aware of geocaching, someone who has absolutely no clue about it would be the best muggle ever. See? :lol:

I think that would fit as clueless muggle of the month. :D

Any special land managers who may know, but dont cache?

This is adorable. And skunk smell isn't that bad.

I am presuming that you are speaking of road kill that has been there who knows how long before you passed?

Perhaps you should set yourself up to get sprayed by a skunk.

When you are finished with the hours of retching and barfing, then come and tell us it isn't that bad.

A whiff of the old and a douse of the fresh is two entirely different things!

It's funny, 'cuz dogs, horses, cattle and even bears run from skunk perfume.

I've been sprayed twice. I grew up in rural Pennsylvania, in the woods in a log cabin. Not so bad.

Ok, for a quick recap for the imaginary "Muggle of the Month" Award, so far for the contenders we have:

• Mr EFQ's mother
  • Piddlepuss, who found a cache in her garden and handled it well, despite the paranoid conditioned response of a few people in here.
  • A nice lady who Coldgears met who helped him solve a puzzle, and then followed him to the cache.
  • A shopkeeper that jgc3 met, who helped him find the cache, but had no idea what it was.
  • Frank Kliewer who managed a team which created the first interactive GIS mapping application for the Internet 15 years ago, but was dismissed as a "muggle" in front of his house.
  • A hitchiker and the person that picked him up that grabbed a cache container and came to the forums to try to find out how to get it replaced at it's original location in a thread that I remember, but cannot locate.
  • A muggle in Vegas that Swineflew ran into, but of which the story stays in Vegas.

Any others?

My friend, whose relatives cache, but not him.

Edited by TheCacheSeeker

• Mr EFQ's mother

Any others?

My friend, whose relative's cache, but not him.

REMOVE THE ERRANT APOSTROPHE PLEASE! :lol:

• Mr EFQ's mother

Any others?

Sorry, I will fix it. :unsure:

• Mr EFQ's mother

Any others?

thank you very much

:)

• Mr EFQ's mother

Any others?

thank you very much

You're very welcome :grin:

• Mr EFQ's mother

Any others?

thank you very much

No, put it back. This is MY thread and those are aloud in here. :rolleyes:

• Mr EFQ's mother

Any others?

thank you very much

No, put it back. This is MY thread and those are aloud in here. :rolleyes:

It's ok. I don't want to put it back anyway. :grin: