Pictures with travel Bugs

The Dunnbles

Hi,

So Im new to all this but confused.

Each time I collect a travel bug and look at it online it almost always says "take pictures of the journey" BUT there are never more than 1 or 2 pics on the webpage.

Is it that I cannot see the pictures ? Or do people not bother taking pictures ?

I dont have a premium account yet, only a basic member.

Thanks

As RoandJoe say, I think many (most?) geocachers don't bother to post photos for trackables even if it's requested as part of their mission. It's always a nice surprise to me when I see that someone's taken the trouble to post one, but I'm happy enough if the item has simply been retrieved/dropped off correctly.

You should be able to see all the photos that have been posted, though. Have a look at this TB of ours - it's gathered 10 photos - Click on "View all 10 Gallery images" to see them.

"Edelweiss"

MrsB

Some cachers will post photos, but they post them only on the cache page. I find that in this smart phone age, logs are getting shorter and shorter too. Even now, I am posting from my phone, and I am trying to say what I want to say to you quickly, because I keep fumbling the keys. :D I also have a ton of photos I wanted to add to cache logs, but have been so busy that it gets away from me, and I can't always remember exactly where I took what photo, so in the end, I don't get around to it.

A trackable's page is definitely more interesting when people actually leave stories and photos.

I would probably post more pictures but I log bugs when I log caches. At times I get to the point where it's tedious enough to log the caches and then go back and add pictures then you have to go off and do the logging of the travel bugs on different pages and go through the adding of pictures.

I just wish there was a simpler way to connect cache logging and bug logging (when bugs are listed correctly). It would address some of the tedium.

What... like this?

cb9b758e-7d1c-4a8e-9090-fb38a304c743.jpg

Not everyone moves Travel Bugs -- some specifically avoid even touching them (sometimes it can seem clunky and complicated);

Not everyone carries a camera;

Not everyone enjoys filing logs/photos/etc. (just notice the decline in 'quality' logs);

Not everyone feels they have "the time" to mess with it;

Not everyone enjoys the satisfaction attained when posting photos for others (TB Owners) to enjoy;

Sadly, a fair number don't know how to post a photo

.....However, there are a goodly number that get a kick out of it. I just hope that at least ONE of them gets to move your TB!

I would probably post more pictures but I log bugs when I log caches. At times I get to the point where it's tedious enough to log the caches and then go back and add pictures then you have to go off and do the logging of the travel bugs on different pages and go through the adding of pictures.

I just wish there was a simpler way to connect cache logging and bug logging (when bugs are listed correctly). It would address some of the tedium.

I agree with you , the webpage is very poorly layed out. It took me days to actually figure it out. There should be a front panel for all your needs.

Not everyone moves Travel Bugs -- some specifically avoid even touching them (sometimes it can seem clunky and complicated);

Not everyone carries a camera;

Not everyone enjoys filing logs/photos/etc. (just notice the decline in 'quality' logs);

Not everyone feels they have "the time" to mess with it;

Not everyone enjoys the satisfaction attained when posting photos for others (TB Owners) to enjoy;

Sadly, a fair number don't know how to post a photo

.....However, there are a goodly number that get a kick out of it. I just hope that at least ONE of them gets to move your TB!

Sadly, I'm one of those who don't know how to post a photo. I would love to post photos to the TB's we've moved, but I haven't figured out where to upload my photos yet. Can someone offer some IT basic training to a novice?

Sadly, I'm one of those who don't know how to post a photo. I would love to post photos to the TB's we've moved, but I haven't figured out where to upload my photos yet. Can someone offer some IT basic training to a novice?

Easiest method:

Submit your log for the TB/geocoin;

On the traveler's page, scroll to your log (either the one you just did, or one submitted earlier, it doesn't matter);

The very right side of your log (near the top) note this link: Visit Log, click there;

On this page, notice links (near the upper right, again) Edit Log | Delete Log | Upload Image;

:) Click on the Upload Image link, click the colored [browse] button to search for your photo to upload from your computer.

I started out and still do alot of the time posting pics for the TB owners. I have gone out of my way to take Downtown to the ball field and photos with the mascot, took the bottle open to the carry out and photo shot with cases and cases of beer, hung in the cooler with the bottles, took pic of huge decal on cooler door of Bud sign, took pics of Orange Poison Frog at the cache where I picked it up, took pics close to our pool with a lighted frog, took pic of sign of State Forest where I was going to place it, pic of cache site sitting on rock close to water, etc etc. Have I ever received a note from TB owner saying nice job, enjoyed the pics, thanks for posting them? Nottttttt So now I take pics if its convenient for me, I am really impressed with the TB, etc etc. A little thanks for the extra effort would be nice once in a while.

I a couple of times replaced the item on the end of the chain as it had come up missing. I did contact the TB owner to ask permission to do so. The 3 times I have done that I did get a thank you. Made me feel good to make the dog tag more interesting for people to pick up and move along. I love moving TB's and keep track from time to time seeing where they have gone afterwards. I wish I could find more but so many of them listed in the caches just aren't there and that really is disappointing. I wish there was a better way to teach the newbies and some of the older cachers how to log and move them to keep the records more accurate. Thats my pet peeve about TB's you might say.

I nearly always post a photo of TB's for the owner, usually in a way I hope they enjoy. I get enjoyment out of seeing photo's for my TB's.. Yes not many do it.. but I really appreciate the one's that do and I normally make the effort to email them to say Thanks.

Hi,

So Im new to all this but confused.

Each time I collect a travel bug and look at it online it almost always says "take pictures of the journey" BUT there are never more than 1 or 2 pics on the webpage.

Is it that I cannot see the pictures ? Or do people not bother taking pictures ?

I dont have a premium account yet, only a basic member.

Thanks

I have a camera built into my GPSr, and I bring a separate camera, so you might think I'd have tons of photos to choose from. Sometimes the photo just doesn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but often, I've picked up and dropped off a TB and overlooked taking a picture. It almost seems cheap to post a pic of the general area without the TB in view.

I'm making a point to take and post more TB and coin photos. Some of them have gone thousands of miles with no posted photo.

Several years ago, I decided to make an effort to add photos to trackables I moved or discovered. Last year, I focused also on cache galleries; mostly views along the way, wildlife and flowers. They aren't all great shots necessarily, but IMO it enriches the geocaching experience for movers/finders that visit the pages, as well as the owners. They help me remember my experiences, too. Last week, the photo uploads finally topped 1000.

Yes, it takes quite a bit of extra time to take and process the photos. And occasionally a request at events to nix future snake photos is directed my way.:P But I have also received some nice expressions of appreciation, too. Both yesterday and Friday cachers e-mailed me a note of thanks. Part of the problem is that owners are not notified when photos are uploaded. They get the e-mail copy of the log, and may not discover the photos in the gallery until weeks, or months, afterwards.

... They get the e-mail copy of the log, and may not discover the photos in the gallery until weeks, or months, afterwards.

This.

I love it when someone has added a pic to one of my trackables and will usually drop a 'thanks' note to them but unless I have particular reason to check the trackables homepage I don't always see them immediately.

If you know you're going to add a photo to a log, a little tip is to put (photo added) at the end of the log so the owner knows to have a look. :)

Thanks to all cachers who've bothered to add photograph but never got a personal "Thanks" at the time!

MrsB