Logging a 'found it' after a 'DNF'

CamerLot

Hi, am quite new to Geocaching and sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but just want to check the etiquite for logging.

The other day we could not find a cache after looking what seemed like forever, so logged it as a 'Did not find'. The following day we revisited with fresh eyes and found it withint 5 minutes, so we logged it again as a 'Found it', my question is; Should we delete the previous 'DNF' or just leave it? I guess that DNF are helpful to the cache owner to keep on eye on caches to see if they may have been moved etc.

Many thanks in advance

Nikki (CamerLot)

No shame in a DNF.

Leave it.

It's part of YOUR caching history, and it's part of the caches history.

In years to come, you'll have a good laugh at some of the DNF's that you went back to and found immediately!

(Sometimes the DNF logs are a good/better read, I know I make an effort when logging a DNF, and try to make a little story out of why I couldn't find the cache!)

The DNFs also help the cache owner. If he has the cache set as a 1 star difficulty, but sees that there is as many DNFs as there are finds, he might realize he has the difficulty rating set too low. I have a cache that I thought any seasoned cacher should have no difficulty in finding, but the number of DNFs has me realizing the cache was more difficult than I anticipated. I already raised it one star, might consider another 1/2 star.

Aside from the possibility of DNF logs helping the CO, each and every DNF is part of the cache history.

To delete it or edit it from a "Did Not Find" to "Found It" is an altering the history of the cache (and the cacher).

There are many that do, the reasons are seemingly endless, none of which hold water in my opinion.

To put it into a black/white perspective (eliminating the shades-of-gray): To delete a DNF or edit it to a Find is a lie. :ph34r:

Thank you for all your replies. I had left the 'DNF' after logging the 'Found it' because like you said it felt like that was part of the story. I just wanted to check that was the right way to do it, I didn't find anything to say to do otherwise but just wanted to check I was doing it right.

Again, thank you for all your help, it is good to know I can ask questions and get helpful answers. Unlike some other forums I have been on (non-geocaching ones) where if you ask basic questions you can be treated like a bit of an idiot for asking them in the first place :)

And while you were all replying CamerLot found another cache :D

Again, thank you for all your help, it is good to know I can ask questions and get helpful answers. Unlike some other forums I have been on (non-geocaching ones) where if you ask basic questions you can be treated like a bit of an idiot for asking them in the first place

Happens here to, occasionally. But we try not to be that way.

Without the ability to provide verbal inflection, sometimes things are, well... let's say... mis-read, or misinterpreted.