Tracking Code lifted on eaby - coin not in circulation

pbowenwalker

I have just received an owner notification to say one of my coins has been "found". This coin is NOT in circulation. The person found the code on ebay.

What do people think about this? Nothing to worry about? Unethical? Plain stupid? Delete the log?

I purchased the coin as a collectors item - it is activated and I intend sharing the code with friends at events - but I have not done so yet.

Delete the log. Virtual logging is not allowed. I'm glad you are concerned enough to ask. If it deliberately allowed, your trackable could be locked. DO you have any control over the photo showing the tracking number on ebay? If so, smudge the number before posting any photos in public. If not, perhaps you can ask the person who posted it, to remove the photo, or edit it.

Whoever sold it on Ebay should have been more careful not to show the tracking number. :mad:

Those who've only seen the number on Ebay, or have had the number passed on to them by others, are virtually logging the geocoin - Virtual logging is not allowed by Groundspeak.

I suggest you should delete all such virtual logs if you're sure the cacher has not seen your geocoin in "Real Life".

MrsB :)

Delete the log. Virtual logging is not allowed. I'm glad you are concerned enough to ask. If it deliberately allowed, your trackable could be locked. DO you have any control over the photo showing the tracking number on ebay? If so, smudge the number before posting any photos in public. If not, perhaps you can ask the person who posted it, to remove the photo, or edit it.

Thank you for the reply - I didn't know virtual logging was not allowed. I will delete the log.

Whoever sold it on Ebay should have been more careful not to show the tracking number. :mad:

Those who've only seen the number on Ebay, or have had the number passed on to them by others, are virtually logging the geocoin - Virtual logging is not allowed by Groundspeak.

I suggest you should delete all such virtual logs if you're sure the cacher has not seen your geocoin in "Real Life".

MrsB :)

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

I'm curious as to HOW the code got on Ebay. Was the seller using a photo of YOUR coin taken when they were in possession of it and are now selling a similar coin? Did you buy your coin from this seller? If they are selling geocoins on Ebay and don't know to smudge or erase the tracking number they should be advised to the harm they could be causing their customers/buyers.

Edited by Droo

Additionally, if it is your sale and you need the tracking numbers smudged out for you, I would be happy to do this for you if you don't have the software to do so. If you like, just email it to me, I'll smudge it and send it back through email.

I am a Groundspeak Approved Vendor, so your tracking numbers are safe with me if you choose to send me the photos.

I'm curious as to HOW the code got on Ebay. Was the seller using a photo of YOUR coin taken when they were in possession of it and are now selling a similar coin? Did you buy your coin from this seller? If they are selling geocoins on Ebay and don't know to smudge or erase the tracking number they should be advised to the harm they could be causing their customers/buyers.

Seller posted two photos - one with the code on it. I purchased the actual coin in the photos so they are now out there on the www! I will send an email to let them know the situation.

Thanks for the reply.

Additionally, if it is your sale and you need the tracking numbers smudged out for you, I would be happy to do this for you if you don't have the software to do so. If you like, just email it to me, I'll smudge it and send it back through email.

I am a Groundspeak Approved Vendor, so your tracking numbers are safe with me if you choose to send me the photos.

You are very generous. I was purchasing rather than selling so I won't need to take you up on the offer - but I am very grateful. I will email the seller and explain the problem. Thanks again for your kind offer.

Sometimes this does happen by accident - you are rushing to list some geocoins and you forget to blank out one of the tracking codes. It is quite easily done. I've done it once myself and someone else was good enough to quickly contact me and let me know I'd forgotten to blank it out. Have seen at least one of the more frequent geocoin sellers on eBay do it in recent weeks also. I contacted them to let them know. It is human to stuff up occasionally. I must be VERY human!

Oh, and welcome to the forums pbowenwalker. Good on you for asking the question. :)

Edited by keewee

Sometimes this does happen by accident - you are rushing to list some geocoins and you forget to blank out one of the tracking codes. It is quite easily done. I've done it once myself and someone else was good enough to quickly contact me and let me know I'd forgotten to blank it out. Have seen at least one of the more frequent geocoin sellers on eBay do it in recent weeks also. I contacted them to let them know. It is human to stuff up occasionally. I must be VERY human!

Oh, and welcome to the forums pbowenwalker. Good on you for asking the question. :)

Thank you for your welcome keewee.

I have contacted the seller and he immediately removed the photo. I am sure it was not done with any malice.

At least I now know that virtual caching is out.

Seller posted two photos - one with the code on it. I purchased the actual coin in the photos so they are now out there on the www! I will send an email to let them know the situation.

Thanks for the reply.

If Ebay will not let the photo be removed because the auction is closed, perhaps reporting the photo as a copyright violation will coax them along/.