Can We All Agree That Religion Does Not Belong In Geocaching?

having said that, i do agree that such issues have no place in geocaching but how do you propose to control that?

i don't like seeing all the religious pamphlets either, but at the end of the day we are all entitled to our beliefs...don't like it, ignore it

To me the original post sounds as like each form of religious items is considered inappropriate as trading items. There is a difference between a cache container full of religious pamphlets and e.g. a single book with religious content. Do you really think that a book about cryptography, a Donald Duck book, a McD toy or a necklace are deeper related to geocaching than a book about religion? I am not a buddhist, but I can well imagine taking a brochure about a buddhist group with me while I am perfectly sure that I would not take any of the aforementioned other examples with me (I am tired of that sort of stuff).

Do you really object against leaving e.g. a book or a post card which shows a picture of Jesus on the cross? This would also exclude some of the finest works of art. I sometimes traveled to some place just e.g. to be able to view a wonderful altar painting in a church.

I am sure that many of the widely spread computer games are more harmful for children (not only the violent ones) than being exposed to the image of Jesus Christ.

Cezanne

i think you missed my point by miles, but i don't care enough to argue pro or against religion to try and clarify it

I do not think that I missed by miles what you stated in "having said that, i do agree that such issues have no place in geocaching" as together with the context of the thread this creates the impression that any sort of religious items should not placed in cache containers as they have no place in geocaching.

I should have deleted the remaining part of your posting that I have cited as I am agreeing with that part.

Moreover, some part of my posting does not reply to your posting (the PC games part), but extends what I wanted to express.

It has never ever been my intent to start to discuss about religion here - neither with you nor with anyone else. The point is was trying to make is just that a religious trading item like a rosary or the bible fits as well to geocaching as a necklace, a book about cryptography, a dice or a gift coupon for a coffee shop.

You need not discuss about religion to answer this question: Who is deciding which topics and issues have a place in geocaching?

Cezanne

having said that, i do agree that such issues have no place in geocaching but how do you propose to control that?

i don't like seeing all the religious pamphlets either, but at the end of the day we are all entitled to our beliefs...don't like it, ignore it

To me the original post sounds as like each form of religious items is considered inappropriate as trading items. There is a difference between a cache container full of religious pamphlets and e.g. a single book with religious content. Do you really think that a book about cryptography, a Donald Duck book, a McD toy or a necklace are deeper related to geocaching than a book about religion? I am not a buddhist, but I can well imagine taking a brochure about a buddhist group with me while I am perfectly sure that I would not take any of the aforementioned other examples with me (I am tired of that sort of stuff).

Do you really object against leaving e.g. a book or a post card which shows a picture of Jesus on the cross? This would also exclude some of the finest works of art. I sometimes traveled to some place just e.g. to be able to view a wonderful altar painting in a church.

I am sure that many of the widely spread computer games are more harmful for children (not only the violent ones) than being exposed to the image of Jesus Christ.

Cezanne

i think you missed my point by miles, but i don't care enough to argue pro or against religion to try and clarify it

I do not think that I missed by miles what you stated in "having said that, i do agree that such issues have no place in geocaching" as together with the context of the thread this creates the impression that any sort of religious items should not placed in cache containers as they have no place in geocaching.

I should have deleted the remaining part of your posting that I have cited as I am agreeing with that part and my reply does not refer to that part.

Moreover to add to the possible confusion, some part of my posting did not reply to your posting (the PC games part and the part about art), but extends what I wanted to express.

It has never ever been my intent to start to discuss about religion here - neither with you nor with anyone else. The point I was trying to make is just that a religious trading item like a rosary or the bible fits as well to geocaching as a necklace, a book about cryptography, a dice or a gift coupon for a coffee shop.

You need not discuss about religion to answer this question: Who is deciding which topics and issues have a place in geocaching?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

For those that believe that religious items are fine for swag in caches;

Do you have a personal limit about the content that is acceptable or is all religious based material ok?

I have seen a good bit of religious material. Some of it seems fairly benign, the typical guy on cross image, "Jesus is the way" type slogans that sort of thing.

However some of it is not so 'friendly' and borders on hate speech. Some even makes those folks that protest at fallen soldiers funeral services seem pretty tame in comparison.

I am also curious if booklets produced by radical Muslim jihadists advocating the destruction of your way of life would be fine swag since it is 'religion' based.

Anything advocating hate and/or destruction does not belong. It's no longer a question of religious items at that point.

Some people golf religiously. I find a lot of these in caches:

titleist_golf_balls_6.jpg

Seriously, though... I would rather not find religious tracts in caches (I'd rather not find any paper swag, actually) but we can't control what swag people leave. The "no agenda" guideline has to do with cache listings, not with swag.

I've never understood people who hunt golfs. They whack the poor little things with a club as if the wee thing had no feelings at all. Then they spend a lot of time out in a pasture hunting it and, if they can find it, they whack it again! And it's not like you can eat them... I broiled some golfs I caught hiding in a stream near a golf pasture and they didn't get a bit tender. Heck, if I had people hunting me just so they could club me I'd hide in the nearest cache too. :huh:

What breaks my heart, what really makes me sad and offended, is opening a cache to find a wounded golf hiding inside, it's skin cut open, its guts exposed, and forced to hide in a cache instead of being given appropriate medical treatment or at least a decent burial. Geocachers wake up! Stop the abuse! Ban golf hunters from our game before they give us all a black eye!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

It seems like a great chance to talk with these young people in your life about your family's values and that sort of thing. Even the inappropriate items can be used as a 'teachable' moment (gee, can you tell I've worked with kids?) and can be used to open dialoge with them that can help them understand.

Like many others I trade those out (usually after having a giggle about it) and just leave it at that. I should find some of the Sweet Potatoe ones for trading even.

Do you have a personal limit about the content that is acceptable or is all religious based material ok?

Certainly not all material is ok, but that's true for all other types of swag as well.

I think religious and other controversial agenda based swag should be off-limits for caches.

So you think that plastic toys should be off-limit as well? It is certainly controversial whether

it is good that so much plastic is produced.

Is it ok to leave money as a FTF-prize? (Note the materialistic point of view that may be behind.)

Is there much in our lives that is not somehow controversial? We geocachers are human beings and as such we have

our lives outside of geocaching. We cannot exclude all what belongs to our lives from geocaching and if we could, geocaching would turn rather

boring in my opinion.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I don't know. Some of those Jack Chick tracts are actually pretty funny.

Back to the original question, apparently the answer is no, we can't all agree that these belong in caches, because they apparently keep turning up. I haven't seen anything like that exactly around Alabama, but we're in the Bible belt and I've seen plenty of lower key things: church stickers, devotional books, even cacher signature items with bible verses and crosses and such. I neither drop such items into caches nor take it out of them, but they don't offend me.

Bottom line, Groundspeak can control whether a cache listing has an agenda or not, but not swag or trackables.

(Interestingly, I don't recall ever seeing anything like this in Germany, even in the dozens of caches we found hidden in churchyards.)

So you think that plastic toys should be off-limit as well? It is certainly controversial whether

it is good that so much plastic is produced.

Is it ok to leave money as a FTF-prize? (Note the materialistic point of view that may be behind.)

Is there much in our lives that is not somehow controversial? We geocachers are human beings and as such we have

our lives outside of geocaching. We cannot exclude all what belongs to our lives from geocaching and if we could, geocaching would turn rather

boring in my opinion.

Cezanne

I suppose it is a standard of degrees. Personally I feel that if people have been killed for expressing an opposing viewpoint about an issue then that issue is too controversial for game swag.

I don't recall many incidents of people being shot for being against the production of plastic toys.

I do recall people being shot and killed for being pro-choice.

I've not heard of people being killed over a FTF prize regardless of the monetary value.

I have seen evidence of people being killed for worshiping the 'wrong' God.

I've not seen buildings bombed and people killed over diabetic research.

I have seen buildings bombed and people killed over politics.

See the different degrees?

(Interestingly, I don't recall ever seeing anything like this in Germany, even in the dozens of caches we found hidden in churchyards.)

From time to time I have come across some religious items in caches in Germany (and in Austria as well), but not pamphlets. Note however that the original question is not about pamphlets - it is about religion in general.

There are also several caches in Austria and Germany that deal with the bible and where either one needs to take a bible with oneself or where a bible can be found in some stage of the cache and where one needs to use it there to answer some questions. (One of those caches has been developped by the priest who has hidden a cache inside his church. Both these caches have been archived meanwhile, but not for reasons related to religion.)

The religious pamphlets I have encountered in Austria are mainly from Jehova's Witnesses and I do not know any geocachers among them.

Cezanne

I've not heard of people being killed over a FTF prize regardless of the monetary value.

But certainly for money and greed, and FTF prizes in a sense can be seen to support materialism

which is one of the biggest deseases our earth suffers from.

As fast food is regarded, it contributes to a form of people killing themselves.

Is there anything in this world for which knowbody ever got killed?

See the different degrees?

Yes, but it seems very difficult to draw a borderline.

Moreover, most things have two sides. Religion has also helped to save the lives of many people

(directly and indirectly) which hardly will be true for fast food companies.

Cezanne

Some people golf religiously. I find a lot of these in caches:

titleist_golf_balls_6.jpg

Seriously, though... I would rather not find religious tracts in caches (I'd rather not find any paper swag, actually) but we can't control what swag people leave. The "no agenda" guideline has to do with cache listings, not with swag.

I've never understood people who hunt golfs. They whack the poor little things with a club as if the wee thing had no feelings at all. Then they spend a lot of time out in a pasture hunting it and, if they can find it, they whack it again! And it's not like you can eat them... I broiled some golfs I caught hiding in a stream near a golf pasture and they didn't get a bit tender. Heck, if I had people hunting me just so they could club me I'd hide in the nearest cache too. :huh:

What breaks my heart, what really makes me sad and offended, is opening a cache to find a wounded golf hiding inside, it's skin cut open, its guts exposed, and forced to hide in a cache instead of being given appropriate medical treatment or at least a decent burial. Geocachers wake up! Stop the abuse! Ban golf hunters from our game before they give us all a black eye!

:laughing:

As a former Christian I'm not offended by the pamphlets at all, but I never saw the point of putting the things in caches. First off I think most Americans are already familiar with Christian beliefs, whether or not they are Christians (and 83 percent are according to an ABC News poll), so it's not like people will learn anything earthshakingly new from the pamphlets.

I do find the pamphlets to be a pathetic attempt to comply with Mark 16:15, where Jesus tells Christians to spread the word. I think leaving pamphlets around is a cowardly way out, and I sincerely doubt one person has been converted by a pamphlet found in a geocache. In fact, if the number of times this comes up here is in indication, they more often than not turn people off to the message they are attempting the spread.

If I find one in a cache I may skim through it out of curiosity, then I leave it. Unless it's a Chick Tract. I collect those because I think they are hilarious.

What bothers me only slightly are the 9/11 "truth" pamphlets that are so common in caches around here. There are apparently some cachers in this area (or one very prolific one) who are intent on spreading that gospel of lies.

Edited by briansnat

Moreover, most things have two sides. Religion has also helped to save the lives of many people

Cezanne

Guess that really depends on how you look at it, but if I was out on the streets starving I would much rather be saved by a Big Mac that a religious tract.

Cezanne

Guess that really depends on how you look at it, but if I was out on the streets starving I would much rather be saved by a Big Mac that a religious tract.

The tract might taste better.

Cezanne

Of course it depends on the situation (apart from the fact that I am not that sure how e.g. the bodies of those poor African children who are currently starving would tolerate Big Macs, but that does not belong here), but please note that religion is not identical to religious tracts. Equating the two things has somehow happened quite often throughout this thread.

Personally, I never would put a tract (regardless of whether a political, religious or whatever) in a cache, but I would not feel bad e.g. when putting a little cross into a cache.

Cezanne

All I want to see is cheap plastic toys

Please no! Most toys have a tie in to some TV show, and I raise my children in a TV free household. Plastic toys encourage TV watching, which takes time away from their studies, playing outdoors, and their worship activities. It would also expose them to the fact that there are people different than them, and I would be horrified to have them experience something that I can't control.

If toys must be traded, they should be non-violent and made of sustainable hardwoods using only non-toxic paints and stains.

LOL I hope! :laughing:

Anyway, if it's been discussed to death then just let this post float down the page.

Now, again, if the supposition is that this has been discussed to death by everyone but me, then let this thread die. I'm not a troll and I don't enjoy what this discussion has speedily become.

Waiting on a higher power to close the thread..

There are religions I think offer some good to the world and some I think do not. Unfortunately the ones that offer the tracts tend to be the latter.

I don't like to find religious tracts, and I hate even more to find political material. I'm playing a game. I'm out to have fun, not be assaulted with people's opinions that I don't agree with.

Groundspeak is wise in limiting agendas when it comes to posting caches, but there is nothing they can do about what people leave in the caches.

So I just trade them out and do the proper thing with them.

Religious items I don't mind at all. That's different than the tracts.

I found a key chain that says, "Every day is a gift from God."

I can't tell you how badly I needed to hear that that day. It is still hanging on my mirror in my bathroom.

That was not promoting an agenda. That was not trying to convince me to think like someone else and believe the same things as someone else. It is pretty non-denominational and uplifting.

I do agree that those kids not only will be exposed to this stuff sooner or later, so it should be explained to them, but they NEED to be exposed to it by you or their parents before they are exposed to it by someone else. They need to hear your viewpoint and beliefs on it from you.

In the off-topic forums, we all got together and created (with assistance from Groundspeak of course)a emoticon for when someone is having a rough time, like you were talking about at the beginning of this thread.

It is:

Have a doughnut!!! (which really does translate as "have a hug")

:omnomnom:

People in these general forums seem to love to jump on whoever opens a thread here, so don't take it personally, or too hard.

I feel like someone needs a hug (and I honestly don't mean that in a patronizing way)

Nobody is mad at you op, nobody thinks you are a troll.

You are not the first to not use the search button and you won't be the last.

Honestly, if we didn't create duplicate threads sometimes we'd run out of things to talk about.

I do need a hug. But that's irrelevant. And now that we're all peaceful like, we can let this thread die a quick death. Ignore this thread and look at my much more happy thread about the caches people are the most proud of. (Everyone elses [so far] puts mine to shame.)

You might ask a mod to close thie thread, otherwise it will probably go on for 2 or 3 pages or more :D

Will it make it to 3 :D

In the off-topic forums, we all got together and created (with assistance from Groundspeak of course)a emoticon for when someone is having a rough time, like you were talking about at the beginning of this thread.

It is:

Have a doughnut!!! (which really does translate as "have a hug")

:omnomnom:

The donut symbolizes the great circle of life in which all living things are a part of, and how every tiny minute action can affect the entire planet. Consumption of such should be taken much more seriously. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I feel like someone needs a hug (and I honestly don't mean that in a patronizing way)

Honestly, if we didn't create duplicate threads sometimes we'd run out of things to talk about.

I do need a hug. But that's irrelevant. And now that we're all peaceful like, we can let this thread die a quick death. Ignore this thread and look at my much more happy thread about the caches people are the most proud of. (Everyone elses [so far] puts mine to shame.)

You might ask a mod to close thie thread, otherwise it will probably go on for 2 or 3 pages or more :D

Since keystone doesn't start his shift til around 10, I'm guessing we'll easily make it to page 3.

Cezanne

Man does not live by Big Macs alone. :D

Cezanne

Man does not live by Big Macs alone. :D

true that's where a side of fries, a large drink and an apple pie come into play

Whoa, let's not go down that rabbit whole.

If not whole, then how? :unsure:

Careful, we might create a divergance from the topic at hand in this very important and unique thread that the OP has asked to be closed. That would be bad.

Guilty of not searching the forums, strike one on that count.

Also, if everything that has been brought up before was banned from being discussed on these forums there would have stopped being new posts 3 or 4 years ago. I'll also say I was bringing up a specific example of my niece and nephew.

For me, I don't understand how a bloody whipped man with nails through his hands on a cross is not considered disallowed under:

"Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

Why the double standard? Because most of the community is okay with it?

This was just something that happened to me today and I was just caching with my niece and nephew days ago. Would it have irrevocably harm them? No. May it upset them, perhaps.

Anyway, if it's been discussed to death then just let this post float down the page.

Seems like it upsets you more then them, considering they weren't even with you. Ignore it or CITO it, whatever makes you happier, but... sheesh. Sorry, but this is a mountain out of a molehill. Highly doubt your niece and nephew are going to be scarred for life.

Exactly, just as they probably wouldn't be scarred for life if they saw a Swiss Army knife or a cigarette in a cache.

Careful, we might create a divergance from the topic at hand in this very important and unique thread that the OP has asked to be closed. That would be bad.

But is it as unique as that artesian well/spring/waterfall/glacial erratic that I really, really want to make into an earthcache?

Yes, I have personal limits about what is acceptable as a trade item in a cache. Those limits apply to all trade items, including "religious" items. The few times I've found questionable materials in a cache, I've done exactly what I suggested earlier:

Trade up or trade even, and then it's yours. Once it's yours, do whatever you want with it.

Actually many fast food companies give back to their local communities through charitable works.

They are often sponsors of a wide range of activities from a youth baseball team to a cancer awareness walk and many in between.

Often times fast food companies work in conjunction with food banks to help those in need.

Now on to the idea that a simple cross as swag should be ok because it is just a symbol.

Since Hinduism and Buddhism both use a swastika as one of their religious symbols then it should be fine to toss one of those in a cache right?

Now on to the idea that a simple cross as swag should be ok because it is just a symbol.

Since Hinduism and Buddhism both use a swastika as one of their religious symbols then it should be fine to toss one of those in a cache right?

I'm pretty sure you know why that's different. It again has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with the popular, non-religious meaning of the symbol. It would be incredibly naive for a person to put that symbol in a cache, unexplained, and not expect the wrong reaction.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Whoa, let's not go down that rabbit whole.

If not whole, then how? :unsure:

Indeed. That would be evil personified.

But is it as unique as that artesian well/spring/waterfall/glacial erratic that I really, really want to make into an earthcache?

I'd like to abandon this thread in a parking lot, so yes, they are similar.

Can somebody please say something really super offensive to hasten this thread's inevitable demise? Pretty please?

My rabbit it currently chewing on "the watchtower"

Well, you don't want it to go down that rabbit whole, do you?

(Hey, Castle Mischief... did you see what I did there?)

What? was that supposed to be offensive?

I know you. you can do MUCH better than that. :lol:

Edited by Sol seaker

I'm pretty sure you know why that's different. It again has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with the popular, non-religious meaning of the symbol.

Actually it has to do with the idea that many people don't see the harm in things if it is something they agree with but they might be more against things they do not agree with.

A cross is not just a symbol for a religion the same as a swastika is not just a symbol of a political party.

Neither symbol is universally accepted as a symbol of 'good'.

To you a cross might bring to mind Jesus and Christianity whereas to someone else it might bring to mind fire and the KKK.

Personally I might not have an issue with a cross in a cache but I might with a swastika in a cache. But since they both are legitimate symbols of both 'good' and 'evil' I don't think either should be used as swag. It is not 'fair' to allow one religious symbol but not another.

seems that most will tolerate those religious tracts that are occasionally found in caches. Could it have anything to do with them mostly conforming to to their christian beliefs. I'm wondering if these tracts were pushing something like Wicca, satanism or any other pagan based religion would those that are for them still be saying if you don't like them just don't look at them or would they change their minds and decide that they don't belong in caches because they don't want their families subjected to a different belief than theirs

Since keystone doesn't start his shift til around 10, I'm guessing we'll easily make it to page 3.

Change your forum settings to 5 posts per page and we're already at 20 pages.

seems that most will tolerate those religious tracts that are occasionally found in caches. Could it have anything to do with them mostly conforming to to their christian beliefs. I'm wondering if these tracts were pushing something like Wicca, satanism or any other pagan based religion would those that are for them still be saying if you don't like them just don't look at them or would they change their minds and decide that they don't belong in caches because they don't want their families subjected to a different belief than theirs

If someone doesn't want to be subjected to a different belief than their own will pretty much have to lock themselves in their house with no tv, radio, phone, or internet connection.

I'm pretty sure you know why that's different. It again has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with the popular, non-religious meaning of the symbol.

Actually it has to do with the idea that many people don't see the harm in things if it is something they agree with but they might be more against things they do not agree with.

A cross is not just a symbol for a religion the same as a swastika is not just a symbol of a political party.

Neither symbol is universally accepted as a symbol of 'good'.

To you a cross might bring to mind Jesus and Christianity whereas to someone else it might bring to mind fire and the KKK.

Personally I might not have an issue with a cross in a cache but I might with a swastika in a cache. But since they both are legitimate symbols of both 'good' and 'evil' I don't think either should be used as swag. It is not 'fair' to allow one religious symbol but not another.

But your argument applies to everything, not just religious items. You could leave a rainbow pin in a cache, and someone could start a thread about gay propaganda not being appropriate. A General Lee Matchbox car could be construed as racist. An American flag could enrage an anti-war activist. Conversely, you might leave something with non-religious intent that could be misconstrued as religious -- seashells, for instance.

This "gotcha" argument comes up in all of these threads. As far as I know, it hasn't changed anyone's mind, and items of all religions continue to be considered fine. Some of the most popular sig items around here are prayer flags and dreamcatchers.

Edited by Dinoprophet