Bogus logs

2) You've never written any logs, according to your profile. I find it odd that someone would start geocaching and not log their first few caches at least before deciding that they didn't want to do so anymore, but there you go.

It's not that unusual... I have met one in the field and knew one personally who started by not logging. I know several who log in the book and not online... and it seems we may even have the opposite (though per the guidelines those finds can be deleted.)

I also think that I have encountered another that doesn't log finds, but I have yet to catch him in the act!

I don't think it bothers me. I have a particularly difficult cache where a couple of times members of a party have openly described (in a Found It log) how they waited outside as emergency support. <snip>

That always makes me laugh - the old "We did this as part of group x". I've noticed many a difficult puzzle cache found by groups. I have to admit, when I'm struggling to solve a puzzle or difficult terrain that kind of irks me, but in the end I laugh.

There is one particular cacher (naming no names) I've noticed at events who goes around asking other cachers about the difficult puzzles, until they've picked up enough pieces to effortlessly put it all together... sure enough in a few weeks there's a "found it" logged. I notice this particular cacher enjoys using the events to team up and get the high terrains too. I just smile to myself and I know I can be self-satisfied that we've needed very little assistance in any of the puzzles or high terrains we've done (only contacting CO/teaming up on 3 or 4 of them).

It really is interesting seeing others views. So much I'm in agreement with and that includes both those that play it their way (slightly different within the rules) and also cheating is just cheating yourself.

I will happily admit though that I have found caches as part of teams:

• Four friends drove to a mega in Austria and we worked together. If we had been individuals we wouldn't have been able to do some of them.

• A friend said at an event that they were going to an extreme cache requiring climbing or abseiling, I jumped at the chance to go and jump off a cliff having not done it for 10 years or having my own eqpt. Safety in team work here essential. Just round the corner we found a waterfall cache; I learnt later that another friend had to ignore this cache because he was on his own when visiting. I wish he could have been with us.

• I even have a cache setup where I would be disappointed if finders didn't do it as a team. I needed a team supporting me when I set the cache.

• I have another less physically challenging cache where there were a couple of groups forming to get the FTF and I loved watching the teams work together to work it out. In the end I think they almost solved it simultaneously and found it on the same day after it being unfound for a couple of months. Others have found it since on their own and without help and while I admire them I have fonder memories watching the others work at finding the cache together.

I suppose what I am really saying is that each and everyone are different. Team work also means different things to different people. Different members of teams bring different attributes which enable all of the team to work together and accomplish something they couldn't on their own or perhaps would find more difficult on their own. I love tackling some of the harder caches on my own but just as much in teams. I enjoy events more than just the social side because it allows me to discover caches I wasn't aware of or to team up with people who become friends. I’m lucky that I was taught early to “man-up” to my fears and now am able to throw myself into situations however some cachers are not and either need support or encouragement to achieve something they never thought they could.

Most of all I'm glad that cachers can go out to find a log in a way that challenges or pleases them.

So why did I feel the need to reply specifically here to team work? I suppose because we often lose sight of what something means to someone else and their achievements while not apparently as large as others may be a big deal for them. But that doesn’t mean I support bogus armchair caching and do get infuriated with one of my caches that seems popular to bogus finders.