Geocaching in the dark?!

A long time ago my dad and I found a few caches when I was little. I have decided to try this again with some friends from college. They have talked me into finding some at night... Talk about uneasy! haha Was wondering if anyone else does this at night?? We are going on one today in the day, and then my friend has picked out one for tonight in a cemetery. Wish us luck... Scared of the dark and hate cemeteries!

We do most of our geocaching at night since Joe doesn't get home from work until 7:45 P.M. It adds to the hunt, making it a bit more difficult. It's definitely an uneasy feeling--we did one on private property at 9:00 p.m.--literally in someone's front yard. It felt even more crazy! Good luck, but there's nothing to be scared of, enjoy it and bring good flashlights [:)]

I love night caches and caching at night. Sometimes I have logged a DNF during the day then go back at night and find it. Using a flashlight helps you focus more on specific spots. Plus, this time of year it is the perfect temperature for caching. I used to feel weird about cemeteries too, but after my wife, a 29 year old geocacher, died, I look at cemeteries in a different way. There is nothing to be scared of there. Let us know how your experience went.

Well... I couldn't get myself to drive to the cemetery... There are some old run down school houses that some have been hid at. My friends went at night and I didnt. We went back yesterday. One is used as a haunted house and has some paintings on the walls and a basement. Also had some outhouses and some other small building. Just not my taste! Lol. Way to creepy and too much what they make scary movies out of! The other one was just four walls standing. Floor was gone but the cement that held the floor was still kinda up. Trees everywhere. Was getting dark so I refused. Again scary movie scene!!! Haha I think I'll stick to daylight :-)

I have only cached during night once. It was after an event and we were about 10 people.

It was great fun (not only because I found the cache ^_^ )

In the last few months nightcaches became really popular and there is one not far from where I live.

I would love to try it, but definitely not alone :unsure:

But I can imagine, that it is a really exciting and creepy experience (as long as it is not prohibited).

We went caching on International Geocaching Day, and took one of our 12 year old Girl Scouts with us. We got a late start, because we didn't plan ahead, and spent hours trying to get onto geocaching.com to make our hunt list, then drove an hour to get out of our 112 degree heat. The first caches went well; even got to pet a horse that came trotting up to meet us. We hit what we hoped would be cache #50 for us nearly at dusk, parked at the "trail head" and walked up a hill to find that others had been smart enough to just drive up there. We met another group of geocachers coming back down the trail. Silly us, we backed up so we wouldn't see where the cache was, then spent ten minutes looking through trees and brush at the spot our GPS SAID was ground zero. Tried it again and got three different readings. It was now nearly dark, so we sent my poor husband rushing back the half mile to our truck to fetch the flashlights we hadn't thought we'd need. While he was gone, a truck backed onto the trail, stopped a few feet from us (completely blocking the trail), and just stayed there. Its now DARK. We have one flashlight between the three of us (remember, 12 year old Girl Scout in tow), and are feeling more than a little vulnerable. I was hoping we were on the local lovers lane and not a drug handoff spot. A man comes past the truck, visible only as a shadow behind a light. I call my husband's name several times. No answer. As I'm tring to figure out how a middle aged woman is going to protect our young girl it turns out to be him. The truck's brake lights keep going on an off again, so we vote for local lover's lane - as the sound of a shotgun blast breaks through the silence. Our girl jumps, and asks what that was. My quick thinking son lies through his teeth, abd say, "It was probably just a car backfiring." NOT. But it satified her. We decided a DNF wasn't all that bad, and walked back to our truck through a plowed field near the trail to avoid the mysterious vehicle. We were able to do some awesome star gazing a few miles later. Sweet girl. She wanted us to get #50, so we hit two caches in the middle of town at 10:00 pm - both of which were guarded by black widow spiders. She was more nervous when we showed her the red hourglass spot on the spiders than she had been on the trail. After all that, she can't wait to go again!

Caching at night is one of the most fun ways to cache ever IMO. Probably half of the caches I have found have been at night. We always joke around that people think I'm a weirdo walking around with a flashlight, GPS, and backpack. I wonder what goes through muggles's heads when they see me, or any other night cacher.

Not sure where you all are geocaching, but in many areas it is illegal to be in a cemetery after dark. You can receive some nasty fines if caught.

I'm willing to bet that if you call the PD shortly before you intend to go find a Cache, they would be ok with it. Anyone who gives a heads up about their activities and intentions can't be that dangerous. Plus, if all else fails, just tell them you're ghost hunting. They'll just leave you alone and think you're a nut looking to catch Casper. And, who cares! If it lets you in and keeps them away, have at it!

I was actually going to ask, how do most of you regular night cachers normally do urban night caching? Full on headlamps and flashlights? What are your techniques etc? I know there are a few local San Diego cachers who regularly mention on the log that they were on a night cache run. Some of the caches they find are really well hidden and it fairly populated areas. How do you do it without arousing the suspicions of the local who will then alert the PD of some weirdo snooping around in the bushes late at night? One of the guys who does it here is with law enforcement. What does he do? Whip out a badge and say. "Nothing to see here. I'm just geocaching. What's geocaching? It's part of a stake out. Now stop getting in the way of the investigation."

Night caching is a blast. I spent weeks working on one that I have yet to see topped by any other night cache (in this area). everyon that has found it, loves it. Check it out --> White Lady Night Cache. This cache takes the cache hunters through an abandoned coal mining town set in a narrow canyon. They are led around old houses and buildings looking for numbers to a set of coordinates for the second leg. Once they have all the numbers, they are led a mile away where they nust walk through an old rock culvert underneath the old railroad tracks. They are led by the trail markers to a hole drilled in an old dead tree. If they place their flashlight to the hole, it will shine on the hiding spot for the container 20 feet away. The best part - The old town is said to be haunted by a woman known as The White Lady. If you can imagine the thoughts racing through your mind as you enter an old house at night that is said to be haunted... I wish there were more like this.

It's caches like this that make the experience unforgettable as compared to a simple micro hidden under a park bench...

Night cachingis great in the big cities. When we go to Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, or Minneapolis we will do 20 to 40 a night, usually stopping when we can not stay awake any longer(2am). Caching in the cities at night is easier than daytime because there are not as many people out and about. Big cities often have lots of park and grabs and it is fun to grab them at night when many businesses are closed. In Michigan cemetaries are out, no night caching at night in cemetaries, some parks are that way also. Parking lots and such in big cities are always open and also when we get lots of snow, park and grabs are still available

As far as night caches meant to be done at night only, they are our favorite. One we did was really neat. You walked along an old two track and you would come to a fire tack and not see the next one. You had to keep walking and 50 or 100 feet down the road you would eventually see the next tack. You definitely had the willies while walking to this one as there was a river alongside of the two track so you thought you heard noises but it was only the water gurgling. After you got close to the cache, 20 feet you had to search for it in waist high ferns. After finding it and opening it, a coyote would howl at you everytime the cache was opened. When heading back out on the trail you shine your flashlight along your back trail and all you saw was werewolf faces on every tree reflecting back at you, there had to have been 30 or so.

I went and tried to do this one:

http://coord.info/GC17HC7

by myself! After entering a few hundred meters into the bush and seeing several sets of eyes watching me from the dark I left. I came back a few weeks later with my brother in law and we finished it. Creepy.. fun.. rewarding.. and in our case lots of bites and some wet footwear! :)

I look to do more around Christmas time when he is back in town. Probably colder.. and more interesting even!

Shaun

I've tried a few caches at night but I don't have very much luck, probably because my flashlight is extremely dim. Manged to grab a few tonight just because I knew they were in parking lot lamps and as long as you know the trick to them it's fairly easy for park and grabs.

Another one i went on tonight was in the woods... thought I would get to it before it got to dark but the sun wasn't on my side this time and I probably walked past the cache 13 times. Didn't find it :(

I enjoy night caches. Not as much of a fan of going for regular caches at night -- what might be an obvious hide in daylight can be much more difficult to spot by flashlight, and I tend to get tunnel vision.

I do enjoy tunnel caches. My favorite one involved three different German bunkers, with the final at the end of about a half mile walk through a complex that used to be even bigger than it is now.

The 11-11-11 event we did in Burlington, CT., was an a-out night cache hunt, including one that wasn't intended as a night cache.

You can still attempt regular caches at night, they're just a little more difficult to spot right off the bat. Some, are super easy!

Most night caches have a way of marking the trail or cache so it'll stick out brightly in the night. mostly using firetacks as trail markers.

Others, have covered the cache in Refexite tape so it'll show if you have a flashlight.

Unless you're a real daredevil, A flashlight is a must! either hand-held, or one that's on a headband, or clips to a baseball cap or visor.

Your GPS should have some form of back lighting, so it'll help show where you are in respect to the location of the cache.

Spare batteries for Both the flashlight and the GPS! Don't laugh.. The last thing you need, is losing track of where you are, and your sight to get there. It's very easy to get disoriented, and lose which way back to the car. (as the group I was with on the 11th, found.. we were headed away from the car, till I recognized a sign to the park we met at.)

I've been on a few group hunts, and one personal hunt.. Weapons of choice are a Everyready single white LED clip for the hat, and a generic 19-LED handheld as a backup. I also recommend a pair of safety glasses, as when branches come from out of nowhere, they tend to hurt! Plain clear pair from a variety store go for about $3.00 US.

mainly keep your wits, and your sense of humor.. Just your luck, someone hid a cache, and the container was intended to scare. (saw One where it was a skeleton, holding the ammo box.. I imagine many saw it, and RAN!!)

Stephen (gelfling6)

I'm a fan of night caching myself. It adds difficulty to caches that would otherwise be quite easy to find. The only thing I really worry about is other people. I need to get my CCW license.

I do wish there were some tunnel caches around here. I've explored several of the storm drain tunnels, but as far as I know, there are no geocaches in them.

Not sure where you all are geocaching, but in many areas it is illegal to be in a cemetery after dark. You can receive some nasty fines if caught.

My home State of Virginia is one of those States.

Here is what the Law states:

§ 18.2-125. Trespass at night upon any cemetery.

If any person, without the consent of the owner, proprietor or custodian, go or enter in the nighttime, upon the premises, property, driveways or walks of any cemetery, either public or private, for any purpose other than to visit the burial lot or grave of some member of his family, he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-181; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)

If any person, without the consent of the owner, proprietor or custodian, go or enter in the nighttime, upon the premises, property, driveways or walks of any cemetery, either public or private, for any purpose other than to visit the burial lot or grave of some member of his family, he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Yeah, I don't want to be the grumpy old guy here, (I am, I'm sitting here with Gout on my knee. :blink:) but I would imagine the overwhelming majority of Geocache locations are closed to the public at night, and it's not a good idea for us to be poking around in closed parks, bike trails, and especially cemeteries at night. And the parking lot micros shouldn't even be there period in my opinion, let alone going for them when the store is closed.

I do acknowledge many people don't work first shift, or 9-5 or whatever. And I had noticed a gang of 20 something newbies in my area who usually mentioned in their logs finding just about everything at night. That group seems to have disappeared since the onset of winter though.

Yeah, I don't want to be the grumpy old guy here, (I am, I'm sitting here with Gout on my knee. :blink:) but I would imagine the overwhelming majority of Geocache locations are closed to the public at night, and it's not a good idea for us to be poking around in closed parks, bike trails, and especially cemeteries at night. And the parking lot micros shouldn't even be there period in my opinion, let alone going for them when the store is closed.

I do acknowledge many people don't work first shift, or 9-5 or whatever. And I had noticed a gang of 20 something newbies in my area who usually mentioned in their logs finding just about everything at night. That group seems to have disappeared since the onset of winter though.

I do enjoy night caching, but I try to use good judgement as to where I night cache and obey all Laws. As my geocaching handle reflects, I enjoy hunting with Hounds at night.

Brother I feel for you if you suffer from Gout. I have a few flare up's a year in my toe or knees, it puts me down for a week or so. I have been using Tart Cherry concentrate daily to prevent it, and my last flare up I drank a large bottle of Carrot juice, which seemed to stop it sooner and it did not spread to my knees this time. I also ate a few of those English Cucumbers and avoided Beef and Pork. I'm sure there are real treatments and pills, but I go Herbal when I can.

I do enjoy night caching, but I try to use good judgement as to where I night cache and obey all Laws. As my geocaching handle reflects, I enjoy hunting with Hounds at night.

Brother I feel for you if you suffer from Gout. I have a few flare up's a year in my toe or knees, it puts me down for a week or so. I have been using Tart Cherry concentrate daily to prevent it, and my last flare up I drank a large bottle of Carrot juice, which seemed to stop it sooner and it did not spread to my knees this time. I also ate a few of those English Cucumbers and avoided Beef and Pork. I'm sure there are real treatments and pills, but I go Herbal when I can.

Thanks for the advice. I need to avoid alcohol too. I can't believe we're talking about gout. :laughing:

Yeah, my grumpy old man post was written with sort of an East Coast/Midwestern suburban slant. The "overwhelming majority" of cache locations out West, for lack of a better term, are not closed at night. No cememtery caches should ever be found at night, in my opinion.

I would do more night caches at night if I had companions to do them with....but not going to cache in any woods without some buddies, and even then, am not a big fan of it. Maybe a walking trail yeah, but in the woods at night especially in areas I am not wholy familiar with? I will pass and do the night caches during the day, but that is me.

Some urban caches are better done at night, especially if I know the location would be better to look at night and its a place that being there at night should not draw attention to myself.

Edited by lamoracke

I would do more night caches at night if I had companions to do them with....but not going to cache in any woods without some buddies, and even then, am not a big fan of it. Maybe a walking trail yeah, but in the woods at night especially in areas I am not wholy familiar with? I will pass and do the night caches during the day, but that is me.

Some urban caches are better done at night, especially if I know the location would be better to look at night and its a place that being there at night should not draw attention to myself.

Honestly, urban night caching scares me more than being in the woods alone at night does. I think that is why I urban night cache is for the rush it gives me. :laughing: