What to expect to REPLACE the cache I find?

KSims1868

I'm new (as if that's not obvious) and haven't gone on my 1st hunt yet...BUT...that will change this weekend. GF and I are going to take my 2 girls out on some treasure hunting this weekend. We have a GPS and always want to find new ways to spend quality time with my girls. So...geocaching seemed like a fun thing to try. I've printed off some coordinates to caches near our house (within 10 miles) and there are a LOT to choose from, so if we like it we'll have a lot of "treasure" to find.

My question...

Am I right thinking that we can/should take something from the cache we find and replace it with something else? If so...what is expected for us to use as a replacement? I would assume similarly valued items, but how do I know what to expect? What SHOULD the items we bring with us to leave in the cache as our contribution cost? Usually $5 to $10 range...or...???

What SHOULD the items we bring with us to leave in the cache as our contribution cost? Usually $5 to $10 range...or...???

A typical small item is about $1. There's no requirement to trade, and starting with just one unneeded item, you can swap again and again, with no further investment. Think of things that may be a fun surprise for the next cachers.

If there's something real nice, it's good to trade a more valuable item. You may have some objects you collect, but have lots of extras, and they take up space. To someone else, they may be quite a find.

Most trinkets in a cache are around the $1 mark...

Once in a Blue Moon there may be something worth more!

You don't have to take something, but if you do you should leave something of equal or higher value.

Worth checking the cache size, as the smaller caches often don't have swaps.

As an adult it's not a bother, but for the younger cachers -expecting treasure- it can be a BIG disappointment, and may put them off caching...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I only went out today to find my 3rd cache, im pretty new too, some of the item's i've spotted so far though are things such as those little yellow stretchy men, mini wooden yoyo, kids costume jewelry, etc...

I really wanted the wooden yoyo, though had nothing to trade so i just signed the log book and left it there for the next person to take.

To be honest a child would probably have more fun with a wooden yoyo than me anyway as I'm 21.

Also occasionally you may come across a trackable such as a geocoin or travel bug, you enter the code on the site to help track it and move it onto a new cache. Though not to confuse you too early i wont go into detail, if you do find one you should read up on it then.

Good luck anyway, i'm sure your kids will love geocaching.

Thanks for the replies. I've printed off about 6 different cache pages so far of places around my area. I hope we have a nice weekend. I'm a divorced Dad (joint custody) so quality time is of the utmost importance when we have my girls at home with us. Both my girls are young (6 and 2) and they just LOVE to be outside. I'm trying to encourage the "outside" quality time as much as weather allows and this geocache thing seemed to be a really neat way to keep them enjoying the outdoors.

Now let's just hope my GF can handle it...haha!! (kidding...kidding)

Edited by KSims1868

The tips for caching with young ones seem to be bribery.

Fruit for the healthy option, and sweets.

(Take drinks, but let them drink when they want/need to.)

"In five minutes you can have..."

"If we find the cache..." -Note IF, not When. :laughing:

Cache in or near a park with children's play equipment. Can make a fun break, or a fun end of the day.

End the day with an ice cream/burger/what ever they enjoy.

And, the main tip, DON'T try for 'Just one more...' once they've had enough of the day. Sure fire way to put them off caching!

As for the girlfriend... If you and the girls are having fun, and she's included, how can she not enjoy it?! :D

**Don't get too upset if the three girls find the caches before you do. :o

From the guidelines re. cache contents:

"Contents are family-friendly. Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol and any illicit material should not be placed in a cache...

Contents are appropriate for outdoor life. Food items or scented items are always a bad idea. Animals have a better sense of smell than humans and have been known to chew containers open to get these items. Items that may melt in the heat, such as crayons or lip balm, or expand in the cold, such as liquids, should also be excluded from caches."

... which is all common sense, really.

As long as the items you swap don't fall into those categories you'll be fine. :)

One extra thing to mention here - If/when you find your first trackable item (that's a geocoin or a travel bug) make a note of the tracking number on it ASAP. Then, if you have any problems logging it, or dropping it off correctly, any errors can be corrected as long as you have that vital number. (Don't write the tracking number into any logs, or in any forum posts)

Have fun - Hope you all enjoy the hunts!

MrsB :)

My boys and I (my wife too on occasion, hehe) really enjoy geocaching and trading swag (Stuff We All Get). The rule of thumb I tell my boys is that the item you trade should be something of equal or greater value than what's in the cache. Most items we encounter are less than $1, but cost isn't an issue for my boys...it's the item itself that determines it's value. So after picking an item, I'm often getting asked "Dad, is this an OK trade?" :P.

My boys just make sure they each have a swagbag available at home and in our car for those unplanned hunts B). Every now and then, they'll also hit our local dollar store to stock up on kid swag with their saved allowances.

I have my own swagbag too, but of things of more value that I come across at home or in the garage. I've dropped off some extra computer mouse(s), some flashlight keychains, and other more "valuable" swag...hopefully, finding some use at someone elses home :D

Also, so you're not disappointed, be sure to look for caches marked with a difficulty/terrain rating of something like 1.5/1.5. I wouldn't go much higher than that for your kids and your first few hunts. Size of the cache is important for beginning hunts for your kids. The larger they are, the easier they are to find...and of course, the more chance of holding swag :D . So stay with the "regular" sized caches, but often, the "small" caches will have room for some small swag too.

Enjoy the hunt and the finds :)

Yes all the caches I've got on my list so far are "regular" size. Some are 2-2.5 difficulty and 1 of the terrains is a 4...but I'm not really sure what that means. Long walk...muddy...not sure. I'm familiar with the area though...lived here all my life, so I'm sure we'll manage.

Also...I'm sure the GF will have fun too. She's great and a very adventurous girl. We're looking forward to the fun and exploration.

Edited by KSims1868

Yes all the caches I've got on my list so far are "regular" size. Some are 2-2.5 difficulty and 1 of the terrains is a 4...but I'm not really sure what that means. Long walk...muddy...not sure. I'm familiar with the area though...lived here all my life, so I'm sure we'll manage.

Also...I'm sure the GF will have fun too. She's great and a very adventurous girl. We're looking forward to the fun and exploration.

There's some Difficulty/Terrain info here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=82

I've been to "T4" caches that weren't long hikes, but involved knee-deep wading in a swamp, or lots of up & down little gulleys, or hiking 200 feet up a very steep hill. There's plenty of flexibility in the ratings, but anything over a "3" will certainly be memorable. If you go and it looks a little too much for you and the kids, have an easier one selected nearby, just in case. But come back again someday and do it.

Edited by kunarion

I'm sure you have an idea of kids swag to bring by now but some of my kids favorites are sillybands, fancy pencils, decorative erasers, "pretty rings" , hot wheels... McDonalds toys

we also have bigger items such as build kits from Lowes, jean locking diaries, stamp kits, sticker sets, keychains....

kids love it!

also another idea to keep in Mind... It feels GREAT to yell out you found it! .... But remember it's even better when they yell it out! So little clues to help them find stuff... Like telling them... You look at that tree stump I'll look in the bush... (when you know it's in the stump)... My kids (8 & 9 ) usually find it before I do anyhow now! Lol

happy caching!

sean

Thanks for the replies. I've printed off about 6 different cache pages so far of places around my area. I hope we have a nice weekend. I'm a divorced Dad (joint custody) so quality time is of the utmost importance when we have my girls at home with us. Both my girls are young (6 and 2) and they just LOVE to be outside. I'm trying to encourage the "outside" quality time as much as weather allows and this geocache thing seemed to be a really neat way to keep them enjoying the outdoors.

Now let's just hope my GF can handle it...haha!! (kidding...kidding)

You picked the right activity to spend quality time with your kids. Enjoy the hunt together!

Even if you or the GF spot the cache first, give the young 'uns a chance at it. Remember the warmer/colder clues, and hot when you're on top of it? They work. Also, kids have very keen eyes - we teamed up with a father and his daughter on a cache we were going to DNF. Went back to the general area, and the little 5 year old said "I see it" in less than 5 minutes - it was a camoed film canister up in a tree. High fives are great, and let them write their name first.

Scouting out ahead of the day works...maybe see if you can spy a couple of caches.

I've been taking a backpack with the following...water, a small first aid kit, flashlight, bug repellant, and a variety of goodies ranging from stickers I paid $1 for 30, little parachute toys ($2 for 10), glow in the dark stars/aliens/planets ($1 for 12) a cool flashing rubber worm bouncy toy thing I got for a buck at target, a nice lcd flashlight keychain ($2), a book (for a local theme cahce I can't find), a boy scout compass ($4), and some home made signature items, a pen, and a few post it note pads in case there isn't a log, or it's damaged. Just me. Enjoy the hunt!!!! I've converted my brother in-law, a friend, and my mother from muggle to cacher too. ;-)

I'm a divorced Dad (joint custody) so quality time is of the utmost importance when we have my girls at home with us. Both my girls are young (6 and 2) and they just LOVE to be outside. I'm trying to encourage the "outside" quality time as much as weather allows and this geocache thing seemed to be a really neat way to keep them enjoying the outdoors.

That's the exact same situation I was in when I was looking for something to do with my kids when they came to visit. We enjoyed several summers of geocaching together. They've gotten older and not as much interested in caching, but it's still something they know I enjoy and they enjoy listening to the wild stories I have to tell about when I go out caching. It keeps maintaining a converstion on the phone just a bit easier.

Good luck, and if your GF is interested in the happiness of your girls, she's a keeper.

Don't forget to take a camera! :D

And not just for your own enjoyment and memories...cache owners love seeing photos being posted to the cache pages. Photos of happy kids having a great time are always fun.

Hope you and the kids and the GF have some great times together.

Oh, don't forget to stop at the ice cream place at the end of the day. B)

After I read Kunarion's reply, I thought I'd mention that when it comes to kids and 'more difficult' caches, that it is often a good idea to check them out yourself beforehand, so that you are almost always guaranteed success with the kids along. Of course the GF can go if she wants. But success makes for better QT than failure... of course that has to be part of caching eventually. The DNF.

Remember that DNF's can be often as entertaining as finds (they generate much more interesting logs online, quite often).

That said you don't want the kids to totally lose interest by failing all the time, right! You can use the period between visits to get to know the local caches and have some fun yourself (ves).

Doug 7rxc

I picked up Geocaching at the end of June when I took a couple weeks of vacation and wanted to do something with the kids (boy/girl twins Age 5). Here are some tips I've learned after about 35 Geocaches:

1. We start our adventure by either going thru the kids toy box to find things they want to swap or hit up the local Target and raid the $1 section at the front of the store. I let the kids pick out the trade items as they will be doing most of the swapping.

2. I avoid micro caches and small caches and aim for regular caches as they usually hold "treasure"

3. I use my Win 7 Phone to get us close (within 20 feet) then I let the kids take over to find the cache itself. If they are having trouble I give them the clue if one is available.

4. I bought a Geomate Jr. to help get them more involved in the hunting. The unit can be had for $50 on Amazon but get a cable so you can add Pocket Queries. My phone is the primary unit but the arrow and counting down of feet on the Geomate Jr. gets them really excited.

5. End each adventure with a trip to Cold Stone/Baskin Robbins, etc. Sure this may be bribery but we start the day with a goal of X caches, once we find them we hit up the ice cream shop (setting a goal eliminates the "can we get ice cream now" conversations). At the Ice Cream shop the kids like to review their newly found treasures