GPS advice for around $200

For about $200 (my current PayPal funds) and using eBay what would you choose?

I would like a map feature and maybe something that has geocaching ability but it's not so important for me to download content for new caches. I can enter that info before my adventure. I want to get more into hiking so I want a GPS that can allow me to not get lost (waypoints) but at the same time explore more area and also use it for geocaching. Basically, an all-around gps for the outdoors.

Thanks for any help! B)

That's an older one and is discontinuted but while browsing Garmin's website I found this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87771

I will have to compare the two I've been looking at and see which may work best for me. I have a Garmin GPS for my vehicle and love it. You can't go wrong with the Garmin brand.

Thanks for the info!

One interesting note is Garmin pushes OpenCaching.com as their preferred website for this hobby. I checked out the site and it didn't have nearly the caches that this site does. Maybe because it's newer, not sure but I didn't care for it and how people were setting up their caches. Sorry, got off topic some. :unsure:

Edited by Road Bug

Check the Magellan eXplorist 310. Looks like they are available for around $160.

It's interesting when you read the reviews on Magellan products there is a lot of negativity regarding the maps and ease of use trying to download stuff and making it work. I'm a pretty savvy guy and know my way around computers and gadgets but taking it all in as a whole I am skeptical now about buying a Magellan even though they look nice and there are some well within my price range.

Does anyone own a Magellan, specifically the 300/400/500 series? I'd love to know what you think.

I would stay with the Gamin units because of the availabilty of online free maps that are created and shared by other Garmin users that you can easily install on Garmin units only. Take a look at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ and look at all of the free maps available; currently 477.

Since I posted my original topic my eBay funds are down to about $150. lol I'd like a nice Garmin GPS that has a color screen if possible. I'd like to purchase one here in the next month or so from eBay.

Based on your wisdom :lol: what would you choose as a good unit? (Links appreciated)

Thanks for your help. And yes, I am going to choose Garmin over the other brands.

Check the Magellan eXplorist 310. Looks like they are available for around $160.

No doubt, looks like a nice little unit and very pretty but after reading tons of reviews about Magellan units I am leery about them. I think I will stick with Garmin. I have a Garmin for my vehicle (meant for streets) and it's flawless after about 2 years of using it and very easy to use/update. If I lost it or it broke or someone stole it I would buy one immediately the same day. That's how pleased I am with it. So, I think I answered my own questions. B)

I have had a DeLorme PN-60 for a few months now and have been very happy with it. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but I've found it to be accurate and versatile. Lots of onboard memory, and SD card capable for expansion. And DeLorme doesn't make you fork out more money for maps, all the basic topo and street maps are included. At about $250 it's out of your budget, but worth saving for....

UPDATE:

I purchased the eTrex Venture HC off eBay for around $130. Appears to be a solid little entry level unit and will certainly do everything I need for now. I like the fact that it's a color screen and there are plenty of mod cases available for it to strap on a backpack. After reviewing all the features this unit has it was an easy decision for value.

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts. It really helped me decide on a unit.

If anyone owns this model feel free to leave your comments or suggestions to make my experience using it more enjoyable or helpful.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I purchased the eTrex Venture HC off eBay for around $130. Appears to be a solid little entry level unit and will certainly do everything I need for now. I like the fact that it's a color screen and there are plenty of mod cases available for it to strap on a backpack. After reviewing all the features this unit has it was an easy decision for value.

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts. It really helped me decide on a unit.

If anyone owns this model feel free to leave your comments or suggestions to make my experience using it more enjoyable or helpful.

Thanks!

The best thing you can do is add topo maps. Because it only has 24MB of memory you will only be able to put so many on the unit (I get around 50-100 sq. miles on mine.) Check out GPSFileDepot.com for free ones.

You can also add paperless data to the unit if you put in a little work first.