Which of your hides are you the most proud of.

One of the things that surprised me at first when I started lurking in this forum was that rarely did anyone post specific GC numbers in posts. Is there some kind of self imposed rule against being proud of the cool things you've put a lot of time, thought and money into? So break the trend here, list the three hides you are most proud of and why. You know you've got some cool ones, so talk them up. I'll post mine after a few people post theirs. (I bet you all can guess what one of them is.)

OK if I had to pick three:

GC102CV - Honu Beach Cache: Laniakea Beach on the North Shore of O'ahu. The shore and beach are frequented by green sea turtles or Honu, many of which make their way up onto the beach to sun themselves.

GC12KJE - Kaniakapupu: The ruins of King Kamehameha III summer palace. It's a short stroll through a bamboo forest a few hundred feet away from the road, but when you arrive it feels like a whole new world. It was also, I believe, the first letterbox hybrid (and the only one for awhile) on O'ahu.

GC2MDQ7 - Ahu o Laka: The Kane'ohe Bay Sandbar. A short kayak/boat ride out to the middle of the bay to enjoy unique views of O'ahu.

There you have it :grin: .

Great idea for a thread. Well, whittling 58 caches down to 3 is a bit difficult for us! But... for the sake of discussion...

GC2P2FA - White Rock (Wairarapa): A good 24km journey down tight, narrow, gravel roads to a very remote beach, aptly named "White Rock Beach", the centerpiece of which is a chain of sharp, jagged islands and reef which extends nearly 1km out into the ocean - caused by the tilting of a sheet of limestone rock over time. The main rock, on the beach is over 20 metres tall and can be ascended - in fact the cache is located on it, it's only a short 2 minute climb, the real difficulty comes in getting to the area, as it's over 100km away from the nearest REAL town. 2 favorites to 4 logs, over 6 months.

GC2QHQC - Island... Lake... Island... Ocean (Wairarapa): A terrain 5, which is situated in the middle of a large, quaint man made lake which is part of a large park and recreation complex that was developed in the 1980's just on the edge of Masterton township. The cache is a 7L container sitting on one of the islands in the middle of the lake. The only way out to the cache is by kayak - but the views are spectacular. 1 favorite to 1 log, over 4 months.

GC2WHX0 - Invisible Worlds (Wellington): We usually don't make puzzles - but this idea had been stuck in my head for a while. The physical puzzle is located in a nice reserve next to the sea a bit of the way up the coast from where we live, and the final is only 2 minutes away, also in the reserve. The general idea goes like this... cachers must uncover 4 hidden worlds (it isn't called invisible for nothing!)... the first two can be done from the computer (try it yourself if you like), and these unlock the physical puzzle coordinates, where the final 2 worlds exist. After unlocking these, only then can they retrieve the final. I can't describe it here completely for obvious reasons, but one respected cacher in our community mentioned in his log that IT was the "single best cache I've ever done" (1 in 3000+!) and that it "completely raised the bar" for the region. We were really taken aback by the quality of logs and positive comments we received, through events, emails and the logs themselves. 6 favorites to 9 logs, over 1 1/2 months.

Hope that's what the OP wanted - good idea for a topic! :)

Edited by Hurricane Luke

I've only hidden seven in nine years, and two of them were in the same area.

GCJ0GG - N42...Something Something Something: This came from imagining what a "reverse multi" would be like. In each stage, there was a photo showing my GPS track from the next to the current one. Using the track and the terrain as clues, you found the next stage. It was well received, despite some flaws in execution, like a high disappearance rate and initially mixing up two of the containers. Plus I like how the listing page came out.

GC9319 - Higher Education: In the early days of geocaching, it didn't often occur to people to think in three dimensions. Being at the right latitude and longitude doesn't necessarily mean you're at the right elevation. The engineering building on Oakland University's campus is H-shaped, so the ground floor is mostly outside, and the top floor is open (pictures of the roof on the cache page). That meant you could be at the coordinates on the ground when in fact the cache was at the same coordinates on the roof. I gave subtle hints in the description. Also well-received. I was recently going to post the spot in Toz's Best Kept Secrets Waymarking category, but I understand the roof doors are usually locked these days.

GCCF01 - Beside the Point: I'm proud of this one because there's not a lot of tough hiking in my area, and at the time, this park was fairly remote and unmarked. The cache was on the side of a steep hill (a towering 1090', mountainous for southern Michigan), on top of which is an old foundation (pictures on the page and in the Among the Ruins thread). I didn't mention the foundation, leaving it as a surprise. I archived it when the state parks got iffy about geocaching, then I revived it when they formed an official policy. Still, not many people braved the hike. These days, the park has been carpetbombed with caches, including a third cache at the spot -- someone else's -- and yet, the area still doesn't get a lot of traffic. A P&G just outside the park has almost as many finds in 4 months as some over a year old in the park. Sad, because it's a fantastic hiking area, and to me that's key to geocaching.

Well just to keep this thread going, and maybe get an non-denizen of the night to answer, here's my list.

#3 GC2A92K - "The Rock" Series: The Doppleganger: This was one of my early hides in one of my favourite parks from my childhood. It is by no means anywhere as good as any of the ones listed above but people get a kick out of it and it came about in a completely serendipitous way.

#2 GC2FHZ7 - The Rocket Cache: This was an idea (It was a simple one) I had as soon as I saw a full sized rocket case available in my area. This was when I was one week into geocaching. It took me awhile to plan all the details. I scoped out a spot on the way up to the Iron Horse trail in a small spot of National Forest (Wilderness?, always forget) surrounded by State Park. Finally found the perfect spot. Filled it with lots of swag and trackables and I also set up two disposable cameras for each group of finders to take a picture. Hauled it up there will a muggle friend of mine and although it was only about .3 of a mile it took us over an hour and many breaks. I was sore for days. The responses I have gotten in logs for the cache made it all worth it.

#1 GC300N0 - Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed This one was a no-brainer. Because I dropped a holding tag on the area months earlier and volunteered to take care of it, when Groundspeak and Moun10bike determined the spot wasn't to be used I became the CO for the spot. I worked through the permit process reasonably fast and always tried to keep it as close as possible to the original. I like to think that Geocachers who don't know they're geocachers yet will find it for 10 years to come. One of the best parts of putting it all together was getting the larger Geocaching community's input and help.

Now every one else out there needs to make a post to show my list up.

Edited by Hypnopaedia

Sorry, it's danish... but I can provide english text if you visit my cache area.

Rundt i... Vedsø-området

This cache is in beautiful nature and take you on a small trip in the area.

Rundt ved... Bisballe / Hald Sø

Best view over a beautiful lake and the surroundings.

Fugleøen i Viborg Søndersø

A small island in a larger lake close to where I live. This lake is the center and the pearl of my city.

It was hard to narrow it down to three ...

American Freedom Train (Asbury Park) (GC20RZY)

An interesting historic location that no one knows about. The American Freedom Train parked here for several days in 1976. Everything just came together for this one, when I found a guard rail near by made of old rails I know I had to place a cache here. A spot on camo job is an added bonus.

Box of Stuff in the Woods (GCQDX6)

It's a simple cache. Large ammo box, essentially out in the open, but in an area that is isolated from the rest of the park. The 500ft walk from the parking will result in a wide river crossing, two tricky hill scrambles and about 150ft of a hearty poison ivy field. The .7 mile hike gets you there on a 1.5 terrain and with dry feet. I'm always surprised how many people opt for the 500ft trip.

Cameo's Two Step (GCWT0A)

This combinds the first two caches. A small patch of woods where near an abandoned clay brick factory. Abandoned RR track are the location of the nano, but not in a evil way, Stage two required a crafty stream crossing as provided by two RR ties.

Edited by ekitt10

While I generally cherish all of my caches to some degree, for creativity or great location, my first is still my mostest favorite and I'm really still tickled pink I was crazy enough to lug it out there.

Room With A View

Besides, it's named for a mountain top outhouse! :P

Sorry if I'm stupid, but I've found two caches named, "room with a view" and I am going to find another hopefully within this month. Seems to be a very common geocache name... What's the significance?

While I generally cherish all of my caches to some degree, for creativity or great location, my first is still my mostest favorite and I'm really still tickled pink I was crazy enough to lug it out there.

Room With A View

Besides, it's named for a mountain top outhouse! :P

Sorry if I'm stupid, but I've found two caches named, "room with a view" and I am going to find another hopefully within this month. Seems to be a very common geocache name... What's the significance?

I can't be bothered with all the pretenders to this one's throne.

One of the things that surprised me at first when I started lurking in this forum was that rarely did anyone post specific GC numbers in posts. Is there some kind of self imposed rule against being proud of the cool things you've put a lot of time, thought and money into? So break the trend here, list the three hides you are most proud of and why. You know you've got some cool ones, so talk them up. I'll post mine after a few people post theirs. (I bet you all can guess what one of them is.)

[/quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bdd7ffd0-1bdd-4837-bfb7-061e2cfc994d

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8e0ac318-35fb-4ce2-9ef1-78fbe22fce8b

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a544aecc-690f-4456-9c03-5f7b1dc838dd

earthcache.gifSabbaday Falls

1858.gifWalking Tour of Tamworth

5.gifNorth Star or NAVSTAR? which is actually tied with 3.gifR U Nuts?

"Sabbaday Falls" brings you to a really cool waterfall & teaches some of the geology of what happened there. "Walking Tour of Tamworth" takes you on a nice little walk in a historic village and is the only Wherigo in the state of NH. The letterbox is set up so people can try their hand at finding the three stages geocache or letterbox style and brings you on a nice little walk. "R U Nuts?" starts next to a popular swimming spot, across a historic covered bridge and ends near one of my favorite trailheads.

I have a vitual "High on a Windy Hill" GC9C5F at Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park that I placed on October 15, 2002. It is approximately a mile high. There is still snow there now. A beautiful place for hiking and skiing. Lot of the finders are visitors from foreign countrys. Sometimes, especially in the winter it can live up to its name. I am now 86 and when I go so will the cache as of right now it can not be adopted and I don't want to burden my family with checking to see if all finds are valid. There is an earth cache near by. I will archive the cache if they take away it counting as a find. Dick, W7WT

It has 500 logged visits and 225 images.

Edited by W7WT

Of the caches that I own that I'd really like to find if they weren't mine:

Amazing Grace - A multi in an area with interesting historical ruins, a stage on an abandoned RR bridge that causes week knees in many searchers (and some have abandoned the hunt at the sight of where the stage is) and river rushing over rocks in a beautiful gorge, near a scenic waterfall. History, challenge and beauty. Hard to beat that combination.

Then and Now: Boonton, NJ - Interestingly enough just a very short distance from Amazing Grace. I had a ton of fun setting it up and I'm sure I'd have as much fun if I were to hunt it. It's also one of the few caches of mine that has any creativity beyond a cool location.

Wyanokie High Point- A challenging but not too long (4 miles RT) hike to one of the nicest views in the state. It's one of my favorite short hikes, cache or no cache.

Edited by briansnat

Hosfor Words, Or Put Your Piece Of Mind To Rest - http://coord.info/GC2H32A

The name uses wordplay. It's a trivia puzzle cache about one of my favorite bands. The final is located in a county park. There's a bit of themed flair at the cache location for good measure. These are the kinds of puzzles I enjoy solving.

Savannas Preserve State Park Tour - http://coord.info/GC2N449

Located at an underappreciated local state park. Multicache where all non-final stages are Virtuals; final is a trusty ammo can. Takes you on a mini-tour of the park. I love "tour" caches.

Moore's Cemetery - http://coord.info/GC2HYEJ

Prompts you to learn how to project a waypoint if you don't know already. Highlights a largely overlooked cemetery in my city. Effective use of a simple urban micro to draw attention to an area of historical significance - again, a kind of cache I enjoy finding.

Learned a few things about the various caches I've placed while doing this little exercise. Here goes:

Well, Would You Look At That? GC1KR68 - This was a special event cache that lasted for about a month and included a nicely camouflaged container hidden amongst the library's video tape collection. Many "finders" had to return to the library to sign the log. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it and I heard from many former muggles who saw the display and learned about geocaching. :D

Old Town Tour No. 6 GC2GQTW - A personal favorite because I never would have thought of the idea until I met TripCyclone via Twitter and then at Geowoodstock VIII. Seems to be a real stumper for local cachers and visitors alike.

Pipe Down, The neighbors are resting GC229E2 - The idea for this hide came from seeing a picture of another cache somewhere in the forums many years ago. Its not a copy of that hide because I couldn't work out the mechanical engineering on it. Instead I blundered into creating this cache instead, a very happy mistake.

3: Newberry Born, Newberry Bred This is a multi cache that visits most of the main points to my alma mater Newberry College. It's a nice short easy multi that is very beautiful to visit in April when all the flowers are in bloom.

2: The Matrix A 4 stage solve on site puzzle with a lot of different elements. I used a couple elements of other puzzles and had been thinking about each piece for a couple months. So far 3 finders, 3 favorite points.

1: Leonardo Fibonacci and the Golden Ammo Can This traditional celebrates my 1000th find. It was originally in a different spot but the can was stolen. I don't know why I hadn't chose this spot originally. I had found a cache here on my first day of caching and it's in a very beautiful area by a stream. I've seen deer there every time I have gone.

Hmm... Tough to pick three... Had a great one that we had to archive. :sad:

Bear on the Loose - A letterbox hybrid in the letterbox vein. In the Conservatory Garden in Central Park in NYC.

Terrace Pond North - A multi in Wawayanda State Park, NJ. About a mile each way, with several hundred feet of climb. It shows you the varied topography and plants on the purple puddingstone mountain. Quite a fantastic place.

Thirdly: Mount Washington Webcam - A webcam cache atop Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Definitely our most found and favorited cache.

Got some others that we love, but we're limited to three choices here...

There have been threads like this before. The last time I responded to one some genius was posting NA logs to any that were specifically mentioned in the thread.

Well just to keep this thread going, and maybe get an non-denizen of the night to answer, here's my list.

#3 GC2A92K - "The Rock" Series: The Doppleganger: This was one of my early hides in one of my favourite parks from my childhood. It is by no means anywhere as good as any of the ones listed above but people get a kick out of it and it came about in a completely serendipitous way.

#2 GC2FHZ7 - The Rocket Cache: This was an idea (It was a simple one) I had as soon as I saw a full sized rocket case available in my area. This was when I was one week into geocaching. It took me awhile to plan all the details. I scoped out a spot on the way up to the Iron Horse trail in a small spot of National Forest (Wilderness?, always forget) surrounded by State Park. Finally found the perfect spot. Filled it with lots of swag and trackables and I also set up two disposable cameras for each group of finders to take a picture. Hauled it up there will a muggle friend of mine and although it was only about .3 of a mile it took us over an hour and many breaks. I was sore for days. The responses I have gotten in logs for the cache made it all worth it.

#1 GC300N0 - Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed This one was a no-brainer. Because I dropped a holding tag on the area months earlier and volunteered to take care of it, when Groundspeak and Moun10bike determined the spot wasn't to be used I became the CO for the spot. I worked through the permit process reasonably fast and always tried to keep it as close as possible to the original. I like to think that Geocachers who don't know they're geocachers yet will find it for 10 years to come. One of the best parts of putting it all together was getting the larger Geocaching community's input and help.

Now every one else out there needs to make a post to show my list up.

Ive found... The doppelganger one. I found one like that in the georgetown area, it got voted COTM.

1: Leonardo Fibonacci and the Golden Ammo Can This traditional celebrates my 1000th find. It was originally in a different spot but the can was stolen. I don't know why I hadn't chose this spot originally. I had found a cache here on my first day of caching and it's in a very beautiful area by a stream. I've seen deer there every time I have gone.

The more deer, the more deer ticks? (shudder)

Wow...only three, huh?

Can't do it...

I'll let y'all pick:

Our very first cache placed: Heads Up, Lavern!

You never know what you'll find when geocaching, especially surprising to merge another hobby: The Competitive $pirit of Man

We love for kids to smile and have fun with their parents...and vice-versa! Ah...RATS!

Fun placement and easy to check on, too! Liftin' our LEG!

Knowing is half the battle! N-O-A

Once again, just to give a kid a grin... The Big Red Puzzle

Let the little ones lend a hand! Carolina Cootie Cacher

Amazing flow! Cedar Springs Earthcache and Chillin' Spot

Left? Right? Up? Down? Yes to all of the above! I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

Just because I have a passion for the stuff! Legend of "Cat-Daddy" Hick

Proud that this one is currently the number one regular cache in the state, according to the favorites! Fission around the bend

Mosi oa Tunya- an Earthcache located at what's known more commonly as Victoria Falls. An absolute pleasure of a cache to maintain because I get to look at the photos! :)

Puente del Inca- an Earthcache in Argentina, lovely spot but I'm primarily proud of it because I did the Spanish translation despite never having taken the language. B)

The Hidden Graveyard- My fave physical hide, near the house I grew up in outside Pittsburgh. There was an old forgotten graveyard hidden in the woods behind my house which I researched and hid the cache near, not your usual graveyard though as the forest is reclaiming the site (and it's a rather startling discovery in a subdivision). Fun to read all the "had no idea this was here!" logs anyway.