Favorite things about micro's!

Okay, I love micro's and all these micro hate threads are really grating. So here's a positive thread towards micro's.

1. Much easier to place... Anywhere, making previous places that could no handle geocaches, now able too. For example, there was this beautiful observation tower, through e-mail with the park owner, I found out that the area surrounding the overlook had endangered vegetation, (Beautiful vegetation that is!), luckily, because of micro's I could hide a nano cache on the observation tower, and bring people here, without ruining the vegetation and without leaving an ammo-box in the middle of a highly used observation tower.

5821279055_c273e9e184_z.jpg

2. A micro is defined as log only, so this allows for much greater creativity, I know it is possible to get creative with any size cache, but micro's seem to be the easiest to do. Look at the CCC thread, most of caches are log-only micro's. Why? because that is the easiest thing to do, fake bolts, fake ant-piles, fence caps, rats with a bison tube attached via velcrow to the bottom, and those are just the more common ones, when someone wants to stray far from the pack (E.G. not buy premade ones) micro's are usually the cache of choice.

3. Challenge! Yes, I love challenge in my caches, nothing is more frustrating then spending an hour on a cache and not finding it, however, nothing is NEARLY as satisfying as finding that devilish micro you've spent an hour looking for. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, which is one of my favorite aspects of geocaching.

4. Quick and easy ones, from one extreme to another, micro's have it all, most caches in parking lots are micro's. While I never drive 15+ miles to a parking lot find them like I do with parks (I like caches in the woods much more then parking lots) I absolutely love to be able to load up the geocaching app on my phone, and make a quick find while I was at the parking lot anyway. Why not? Especially love these when stopping at a convenience store, or at a rest-stop on an Interstate on the way to a park/a day of caching.

That's it for me. What do YOU love about micro's?

The majority of my favorite hides when it comes to cleverness and creativity of camouflage has been micros. Of course, the majority of the lamest, least creative hides I've found fit that same group.

Making a micro a hide hard is easy. My favorite hides have been ammo boxes that where a challenge. There is one in NJ that has about 30 percent DNFs. I had one that totally stumped many searchers because it was in a fake stump. A few people found it when they sat down on the stump to think things over and realized that the stump moved.

The majority of my favorite hides when it comes to cleverness and creativity of camouflage has been micros. Of course, the majority of the lamest, least creative hides I've found fit that same group.

Making a micro a hide hard is easy. My favorite hides have been ammo boxes that where a challenge. There is one in NJ that has about 30 percent DNFs. I had one that totally stumped many searchers because it was in a fake stump. A few people found it when they sat down on the stump to think things over and realized that the stump moved.

Sure. Just stick it in a spruce tree or rock pile. But that isn't what I'm referring to. I was referring to cleverness and creativity, not needle in a haystack.

Edited by knowschad

I like them just fine when they are placed thoughtfully.

Found one after work today which was a film can in a pretty good hide for an open area.

I spent the weekend in Yosemite, plus coming and going, and had lots of travelbugs to move along, but too many Micros prevented them getting dropped off. I only ask, if you can hide a larger cache, please do. Pretty awful when there's a ton of cover and only a pill bottle in it somewhere.

I live in Micro Town, USA. I am sick of micros in my town. HOWEVER, I have found some really fun nanos and cleverly camo'd micros that made me smile. I still remember these fondly. Just because it is micro, it doesn't have to be boring. It is the ones just put out for "numbers gathering" that bug me.

LPC's & hide a keys on bridges not withstanding, I like the creativity that is sometimes put into them. In the area I just moved from, one CO would bore out a small hole on the underside of a decent sized rock that was just big enough to slip the cache into. Another CO used one of the black nanos & put it on a black metal sculpture that could have you searching for an hour or more. I lucked into just the right angle & found it quickly. A couple of other CO's have tucked pill bottles into the hubs of metal wagon wheels.

Also, I don't care about swag so swag isn't a big issue.

They give the spiders in lamp posts something to do

:laughing:

Micros are easy to muggle inconspiciously.

Logs are often full anyway, so I don't have to bother signing.

:laughing:

In all seriousness, though, the OP does have a point. Sometimes a location just coudln't have a cache, if not for micros. And that would mean less smilies. We've got a team here who loves to hide micros on public walking paths between houses. I've gotten alot of smilies this way. There's no way small lock n locks would survive for long in those locations.

I live in Micro Town, USA. I am sick of micros in my town. HOWEVER, I have found some really fun nanos and cleverly camo'd micros that made me smile. I still remember these fondly. Just because it is micro, it doesn't have to be boring. It is the ones just put out for "numbers gathering" that bug me.

I don't mind micros. I even don't mind bad micros. What I despise are those #@$%^# nanos. Whoever thought those were a good idea should be flogged..

I like micros. Almost 1/2 my total finds have been micros. Sure some have been what I consider lame but some have been totally brilliant. I admit that a micro LPC in a shopping center isn't the greatest, but I've also found decons in the same type spot and the greater container size has not made the cache 'better'.

I also prefer a micro opposed to no cache at all.

While on my last trip in Indiana it was amazing how many places we would pass and either my buddy or I would say "if this was Illinois there would be a cache there" yet in Indiana there were none for miles in some rural areas.

I like micros. I even like lame micros. At least, my stats suggest that I do, as I have found quite a few 1.5/1.5 micros in parking lots.

They aren't my first choice. If I'm going to spend a day geocaching, I'm not going to spend it driving around to a bunch of parking lots. I love hiking in the woods, looking for ammo cans in swamps, getting bit by ticks, all that jazz.

But I also like coloring maps. If I'm traveling, when I stop for gas I'll pull out the smart phone and see if there's a cache nearby. I'll gladly snag a lame LPC micro if it means I get to color in another state or county on my map.

5. Easy to filter out in PQs

OK, sorry for starting the negativity in a thread supposed to be about possitives. In all seriousness, when I am in a parking lot with a few spair minutes, I love a micro hidden in the parking lot. There is nothing better than finding a geocache when you are bored. My problem is that there never seems to be a parking lot cache in the parking lot that I am in.

They are really good for throwing at people that think "'s" denotes the plural form of a noun.

OMG. We've all been off topic.

My favorite things about micro's are micro's size, which is smaller than small's size; and micro's hiding places, which are anywhere micro wants to hide.

Edited by tozainamboku

Pretty sad that half of teh first half dozen posters had to twist the thread into their personal bash box instead of following the premise or leaving it be.

To the topic, my favorite thing about micros is that they are pretty easily hidden just about anywhere, giving me the opportunity to find more caches without hampering my already packed schedule. They are often where I need to be, rather than my having to take time to go to them.

I like micros. I even like lame micros. At least, my stats suggest that I do, as I have found quite a few 1.5/1.5 micros in parking lots.

They aren't my first choice. If I'm going to spend a day geocaching, I'm not going to spend it driving around to a bunch of parking lots. I love hiking in the woods, looking for ammo cans in swamps, getting bit by ticks, all that jazz.

But I also like coloring maps. If I'm traveling, when I stop for gas I'll pull out the smart phone and see if there's a cache nearby. I'll gladly snag a lame LPC micro if it means I get to color in another state or county on my map.

This too! I grabbed a few micros while my far was in the shop. I was super happy there were there. They were at a Wendy's in a tree.

I love getting fast micros at interstate rest stops too. My Hubby takes forever at those and now it gives me samething fun to do!

OK, sorry for starting the negativity in a thread supposed to be about possitives. In all seriousness, when I am in a parking lot with a few spair minutes, I love a micro hidden in the parking lot. There is nothing better than finding a geocache when you are bored. My problem is that there never seems to be a parking lot cache in the parking lot that I am in.

I found six last Sunday and I also found six bee nests.

When i First started - I stuck with medium --> Large Caches,

After few finds - Small --> Medium caches

Now I search for Micros-->medium

After doing a few micro finds and learning how/where to "look" i don't mind searching for them.

Creatively hidden micro's are great!

A micro in the middle of a pine forest where GPS points to a cluster of trees - and you are basically searching for a needle in a haystack - not great (but I did try)

1. Much easier to place.

Thereby encouraging laziness.

2. A micro is defined as log only, so this allows for much greater creativity

More laziness. A true challenge would be to come up with a successful camo technique for a large. Any mook with a couple drops of glue and a fake leaf can hide a Bison tube.

3. Challenge

The overwhelming majority of micros reside at the easier end of the D/T scale.

Ergo, they are not very challenging.

4. Quick and easy

More laziness.

I'm sensing a theme here...

That.

Edited by Clan Riffster