COINTEST! Migrations coin...

avroair

Quick cointest that features my new Migrations geocoin design. Photo below.

Winner will be picked randomly out of people who answer both 1A and post correctly for 1B

Cointest rules:

1. there are two stipulations to enter:

A. as part of the answer name the seven animals featured.

names need to be specific: eg instead of bear say Grizzly Bear

B. Add an animal (and photo if possible) of an animal that migrates (doesn't have to be on the coin) give a few facts about the migration

2. one entry per day (if you edit your entry you lose)

3. if you pick an animal B. from above that has already been picked you lose

4. if you pick an animal that doesn't migrate you lose

5. please be careful about photo permissions and giving credit or you lose

6. have fun! do some research! or you will lose

7. cointest lasts 7 days (after that we'll migrate to something else)

a6148d1d-8cf9-467d-9240-0552ff5d949b.jpg

Edited by Eartha

Ok so I have to name 7 distinct animals and get the correct species that you have on the coin. Done

Name an amimal and discuss the migratory patterns. Can it be one of the animals on the coin? I have one there that I would like to discuss maybe in more detail that anyone wants to know......;)

Ok an entry before I leave for the Bash. (Are you going this year Mark?)

Animals on coin

1. Bottlenose Dolphin

2 Robin

3 Monarch Butterfly

4 Tsun Turtle (so ok it is a sea turtle probably green sea turtle but I do like tsun's turtles!)

5 Elk -- male version

6 Coho Salmon

7 Canada Geese

The Canada Geese is what I would like to discuss...

Now here are some pretty interesting stuff about this stupid goose. Around here they no longer migrate. Yes they are pretty, at least I used to think so and of course the goslings are still cute but....they spread diarrheal parasitic diseases like Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum in their feces, and frequently nibble grass and shrubs on people’s lawns and landscapes. They can also transport ticks across the country. Of course probably not here because they don't go anywhere they have it too good...

But the next fact is what I really have learned about them. They POOP all over the place!! In my yard, on the paved walking paths and anywhere I want to walk or bike. Their poop is larger than my dogs and is more slimy too. In fact just 50 Canada geese can generate more than two tons of manure in one year! That is a LOT of poop! The birds' waste can cause poor water quality where they live. That fact came from kid's National Geographic. LOL

They seems to be territorial and attack my dogs if they get too close. They also can be loud. If we want to shake the eggs in the nests around the ponds we need a permit to do so otherwise it is illegal. Of course when these flocks cross the road we have to stop and they take their sweet time. I almost got rear ended last month because of that. :mad:

Ok so that isn't really about their migratory patterns but I had to say that and would really like the Canadians to take them back!! :laughing:

Now on the the required stuff

Have you ever seen birds flying in a V formation? If so it was probably Canada Geese. The front position is rotated since flying in front consumes the most energy. Canada Geese leave the winter grounds more quickly than the summer grounds. Canada geese are known for their seasonal migrations. Most Canada Geese have staging or resting areas where they join up with others. Their autumn migration can be seen from September to the beginning of November. The early migrants have a tendency to spend less time at rest stops and go through the migration a lot faster. The later birds usually spend more time at rest stops.

Elevated thyroid hormones, such as T3 and T4, have been measured in geese just after a big migration. This is believed because of the long days of flying in migration the thyroid gland sends out more T4 which will help the body cope with the longer journey. The increased T4 levels are also associated with increased muscle mass (hypertrophy) of the breast muscle, also because of the longer time spent flying. It is believed that the body sends out more T4 to help the goose's body with this long task by speeding up the metabolism and temperature at which the body works. Also, other studies done show corticosterone levels to rise dramatically in these birds after and during a migration. Corticosterone is known a stress hormone, so it only makes sense that when these birds are stressed by flying long distances everyday, that more corticosterone is released into their system. It is believed that a higher level of corticosterone will help the birds better manage this task. (Bet you didn't know that tidbit!)

The number of geese that are migrating to the United States is shrinking because of lost habitats and changing weather and agricultural practices. Some Canada geese are migrating shorter distances or really not migrating at all.

CanadaGeese.jpg

Submitted by Roland Hulme on Mon, 2011-05-02 15:57

cgeesevformation.jpg

Royalty free stock image used

COIN:

Canadian Geese

Butterfly

Humpback Whale

Sea Turtle

Blue Whale

Caribou Buck (or it is Reindeer or whitetail - they all migrate... that was a tough one!)

salmon

And...

The African Elephant.

What is amazing to me is that they pass down migration paths to their young... how awesome is that?! African elephants migrate by the use of the head female called the matriarch. The matriarch will lead a group of elephants (which are mainly females in a family blood line) by using her memory of routes that will lead herself and the group to food and water during a drought.

Here is an image to color for the kids:

Elephantaf_bw.gif

And here is a nice picture:

african-elephant_435_600x450.jpg

Your coin is lovely!

huh!!! I think I have the names of the animals on the coin... but I do not have a photo of the animal I want to talk about! :( I just send an email to a company hoping a photo that they have belongs to them and they will give me the OK to use!

if not... I will cry!!! I can not put a photo in my PC... and my sister who helped me in that... is in Athens with my mother.... ohh!!!!

the coin is amazing!!! WOW!

Ok so I have to name 7 distinct animals and get the correct species that you have on the coin. Done

Name an amimal and discuss the migratory patterns. Can it be one of the animals on the coin? I have one there that I would like to discuss maybe in more detail that anyone wants to know......;)

Yes. The species I don't need a scientific name... just Grizzly bear rather than Bear. :) As well as guessing all of the seven animals.

one quick question...

while they were alive, my parents used to fly to florida fo the winter...does that count :rolleyes: ?

ILYK

Was wondering who the first person to bring that up would be! To answer, depends... were they geocachers or just migrating! Geocaching is migrating with a purpose!

Ok an entry before I leave for the Bash. (Are you going this year Mark?)

Animals on coin

1. Bottlenose Dolphin

2 Robin

3 Monarch Butterfly

4 Tsun Turtle (so ok it is a sea turtle probably green sea turtle but I do like tsun's turtles!)

5 Elk -- male version

6 Coho Salmon

7 Canada Geese

The Canada Geese is what I would like to discuss...

Now here are some pretty interesting stuff about this stupid goose. Around here they no longer migrate. Yes they are pretty, at least I used to think so and of course the goslings are still cute but....they spread diarrheal parasitic diseases like Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum in their feces, and frequently nibble grass and shrubs on people’s lawns and landscapes. They can also transport ticks across the country. Of course probably not here because they don't go anywhere they have it too good...

But the next fact is what I really have learned about them. They POOP all over the place!! In my yard, on the paved walking paths and anywhere I want to walk or bike. Their poop is larger than my dogs and is more slimy too. In fact just 50 Canada geese can generate more than two tons of manure in one year! That is a LOT of poop! The birds' waste can cause poor water quality where they live. That fact came from kid's National Geographic. LOL

They seems to be territorial and attack my dogs if they get too close. They also can be loud. If we want to shake the eggs in the nests around the ponds we need a permit to do so otherwise it is illegal. Of course when these flocks cross the road we have to stop and they take their sweet time. I almost got rear ended last month because of that. :mad:

Ok so that isn't really about their migratory patterns but I had to say that and would really like the Canadians to take them back!! :laughing:

Now on the the required stuff

Have you ever seen birds flying in a V formation? If so it was probably Canada Geese. The front position is rotated since flying in front consumes the most energy. Canada Geese leave the winter grounds more quickly than the summer grounds. Canada geese are known for their seasonal migrations. Most Canada Geese have staging or resting areas where they join up with others. Their autumn migration can be seen from September to the beginning of November. The early migrants have a tendency to spend less time at rest stops and go through the migration a lot faster. The later birds usually spend more time at rest stops.

Elevated thyroid hormones, such as T3 and T4, have been measured in geese just after a big migration. This is believed because of the long days of flying in migration the thyroid gland sends out more T4 which will help the body cope with the longer journey. The increased T4 levels are also associated with increased muscle mass (hypertrophy) of the breast muscle, also because of the longer time spent flying. It is believed that the body sends out more T4 to help the goose's body with this long task by speeding up the metabolism and temperature at which the body works. Also, other studies done show corticosterone levels to rise dramatically in these birds after and during a migration. Corticosterone is known a stress hormone, so it only makes sense that when these birds are stressed by flying long distances everyday, that more corticosterone is released into their system. It is believed that a higher level of corticosterone will help the birds better manage this task. (Bet you didn't know that tidbit!)

The number of geese that are migrating to the United States is shrinking because of lost habitats and changing weather and agricultural practices. Some Canada geese are migrating shorter distances or really not migrating at all.

CanadaGeese.jpg

Submitted by Roland Hulme on Mon, 2011-05-02 15:57

cgeesevformation.jpg

Royalty free stock image used

You got 3, 4 (I like em too, but you did name green), 6 and 7 correct.

Edited by avroair

Part A.

Canada Geese

Humpback Whale

Welcome Swallow

Coho Salmon

Monarch Butterfly

Green Sea Turtle

Caribou

Part B

600px-Sooty_Shearwater.jpg

The Sooty Shearwater

photo by Michael "Mike" L. Baird bairdphotos.com,

licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license

Sooty Shearwaters - they breed in New Zealand and Chile and then migrate to feeding grounds in the Northern Hemisphere. They have the longest animal migration routes ever recorded using electronic tracking technology: around 65,000 kilometres (39,000 miles).

These guys trace giant figure eights over the Pacific Basin by taking advantage of prevailing winds along different parts of the migration route.

And the Sooty Shearwater is really smart as they pursue an endless summer (crossing the equator twice a year) where by their feeding areas are always near or at the period of peak productivity. They travel between the Antarctic waters in the south during the breeding season to the bountiful coastal currents off California, Alaska, and Japan in the north.

ref. The animals kingdom's longest migration award goes to the Sooty shearwater.

I'll guess...

1) Blue Whale

2) Canada Geese

3) Coho Salmon

4) Woodland Caribou

5) A Blue Swallow (Or any random swallow)

6) Monarch Butterfly

7) Green Sea Turtle

For B...

I'll pick Steelhead Trout (look at my user name!). I couldn't figure out how to add an image while still giving proper credit but I will mention the Steelhead Trout. The Steelhead Trout Will live in a lake for most of the year but will go upriver for many, many miles to breed, often crossing dams and waterfalls (much like their cousin the Salmon) to get to the water where they were born. Once there, they breed and many die but some survive to go back downstream to repeat the cycle next year.

Really, really nice coin, by the way!

Not sure that I completely get all of this, but I certainly agree with LadyBee4T: geese are about as dirty a bird as there is :mad:

Anyway, here are my answers:

1 Monarch Butterfly

2 Barn Swallow (or cliff Swallow: I think they might be the same, but am not sure)

3 Green Sea Turtle

4 Canada Goose

5 Roosevelt Elk

6 Coho Salmon

7 California Gray Whale

As for another animal that migrates, how about Homo sapiens sapiens (or, as I often like to think of us, H.s. non-sapiens :P) Humans have been a migratory animal for at least 20,000 years, and probably for a lot longer than that. Granted, they don't go back and forth (well, some do, as another poster already mention, vis-a-vis his/her parents), but they *do* move around a lot! Not all migrations are cyclical.

And if that answer doesn't float your boat, then there is the stickleback, a tiny fish generally confined to a few waterways in the Southwestern USA and northern Mexico. When Sharon (the Better half of chaosmanor) was in college, she took part in a study of them.

In any event, a neat little cointest: thanks!

Jim, the other half of chaosmanor

Sweet Coin and an interesting cointest to go along with it.

For 1A I will guess

1. Green Sea Turtle

2. Canadian Geese

3. Monarch Butterfly

4. Coho Salmon

5. Hunpback Whale

6. Caribou

7. Tern (hard one)

For 1B I'll go with a Human

Human migration is physical movement by humans from one area to another, sometimes over long distances or in large groups. The movement of populations in modern times has continued under the form of both voluntary migration within one's region, country, or beyond and involuntary migration (which includes the slave trade, trafficking in human beings and ethnic cleansing). People who migrate are called migrants or, more specifically, emigrants, immigrants, or settlers, depending on historical setting, circumstances and perspective. Humans sometimes migrate on a daily basis, in which case it is commuting and the humans are called commuters. There are also tourists, who temporarily travel to go on vacation, and pilgrims, who do so for religious reasons. The rest of this article will cover migration in the sense of a "change of residence", rather than the temporary migrations of travel, tourism, pilgrimages, or the commute.

According to the International Organization for Migration's World Migration Report 2010, the number of international migrants was estimated at 214 million in 2010. If this number continues to grow at the same pace as during the last 20 years, it could reach 405 million by 2050.[1] While some modern migration is a byproduct of wars (for example, emigration from Iraq and Bosnia to the US and UK), political conflicts (for example, some emigration from Zimbabwe to the UK), and natural disasters (for example, emigration from Montserrat to the UK following the eruption of the island's volcano), contemporary migration is predominantly economically motivated. In particular, there are wide disparities in the incomes that can be earned for similar work in different countries of the world. There are also, at any given time, some jobs in some high-wage countries for which there is a shortage of appropriately skilled or qualified citizens. Some countries (e.g., UK and Australia) operate points systems that give some lawful immigration visas to some non-citizens who are qualified for such shortage jobs. Non-citizens, therefore, have an economic incentive to obtain the necessary skills and qualifications in their own countries and then apply for, and migrate to take up, these job vacancies. International migration similarly motivated by economic disparities and opportunities occurs within the EU, where legal barriers to migration between member countries have been wholly or partially lifted. Countries with higher prevailing wage levels, such as France, Germany, Italy and the UK are net recipients of immigration from lower-wage member countries such as Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and Romania.

Some contemporary economic migration occurs even where the migrant becomes illegally resident in their destination country and therefore at major disadvantage in the employment market. Illegal immigrants are, for example, known to cross in significant numbers, typically at night, from Mexico into the US, from Mozambique into South Africa, from Bulgaria and Turkey into Greece, and from north Africa into Spain and Italy.

(from wikipedia)

Here is a picture of a human (me) at Burney Falls.

844b9e71-190d-4929-b8d1-207a102de337.jpg

Ok so here it goes:

1. humpback whale

2. caribou

3. monarch butterfly

4. canada goose

5. green sea turtle

6. barn swollow

7. cohu salmon

and for B. the European white stork

White Storks are tall (1 m., 2.3-4.4 kg) long-necked wading birds with long bare red legs and a straight pointed red bill. The white plumage of the head, neck, and body contrasts with the black wing feathers highlighted with a sheen of purple and green iridescence. The contour feathers of the lower neck and chest are elongated to form a fluffy ruff that can be erected during courtship displays. A small patch of bare black skin surrounds their brown eyes. Sexes are similar in appearance, though males are slightly larger.

Juvenile birds are duller in coloration than adults. The black primaries are tinged with brown. Their blackish bills and dull brown legs slowly acquire the red color of the adults as they mature.

Though storks are considered to be largely silent birds, most species perform some variety of a bill-clattering display. This display reaches its most advanced form in the White Stork. They begin by throwing their heads straight back to create an amplifying resonance box in the gular pouch of the lower neck. As they clatter their upper and lower mandibles together rapidly they produce a loud machine-gun-like rattle that rises and falls in pace.

Distribution and Habitat

The European subspecies of the White Stork breeds in several discontinuous populations across much of Europe, the Middle East and west-central Asia. They are found in southern Portugal and western Spain; along the northern coast of Africa in Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria; in The Netherlands and southern Denmark west to St. Petersburg and the Gulf of Finland, south to Turkey, northern Greece, the former Yugoslavia, and Azerbaijan. A very small population breeds in extreme southern Africa in Cape Province, South Africa.

Storks are large birds that rely heavily on energy efficient soaring flight during migration. Soaring requires the presence of thermal air currents that are not found over water. White Storks are therefore reluctant to fly across large bodies of water such as the Mediterranean Sea to reach their wintering grounds in tropical Africa. They solve this problem by having the bulk of the European population split into two distinct migratory routes. Western birds cross the Mediterranean at the Straits of Gibraltar, while most of the eastern birds cross the Bosporus and circle around the Mediterranean through the Middle East. Migration is highly synchronized and flocks contain as many as 11,000 individuals. Birds migrating from Denmark to South Africa and back again may cover a total distance of 20,000 km. Small numbers of birds cross the Mediterranean directly by flying south from the southern tips of Italy and Greece. Some western European White Storks join the Asiatic subspecies C. ciconia asiatica to winter in India.

Wintering birds may congregate in large numbers as they utilize a locally abundant food source such as locust or grasshopper swarms. One hundred thousand white storks were reported in one 25 km2 area in Tanzania during a severe infestation of army-worms. These wintering birds occupy dry savannahs and open grasslands but tend to congregate around lakes, ponds, and rivers.

Breeding White Storks prefer lowland open habitats of wet pastures, flooded meadows, and shallow lakes and marshes with scattered trees for roosting and nesting. They have adapted to nest on man-made structures and forage in freshly plowed fields.

(text from the Smithsonian Zooalogical website.toonekurg.jpgkuredlahkuvad.jpgsecond photo from Metsaaia blog.

I chose this bird because here in Estonian storks are everywhere now as it is in the middle of their breeding time. Many old chimnies and telegraph poles have nests on the top. One of the local traditions is, on your wedding day, to tie a white ribbon around the post where there is a storks nest to ask for a baby :)And when the storks start to leave in the Autumn we know that the bad weather is about to start.

My favorite migrating animal by far is the Arctic Tern. They spend more time in daylight than any other creature, because they fly from the Arctic to the Antarctic and back again each year to get as much summer light as possible.

One other thing I really like about them is how they start their migrations. The birds are all terribly noisy, but suddenly they all become completely quiet and then fly away on their migration. This behavior is called "the dread", simply too cool.

After a quick research, and reading the previous posts :), my answers for A:

1.Barn Swallow

2.Gray Whale

3.Monarch Butterfly

4.Green Sea Turtle

5.Moose (Alces Alces)

6.Coho Salmon

7.Canada Goose

Regarding the question B, I found this about the Sea Turtle Migration:

(I'll post a pic later).

1. Migration habits differ not only among species but also among different populations of the same species. Some sea turtle populations nest and feed in the same general areas; others migrate great distances.

a. Green sea turtle populations migrate primarily along the coasts from nesting to feeding grounds. However, some populations will travel 2,094 km (1,300 miles) across the Atlantic Ocean from the Ascension Island nesting grounds to the Brazilian coast feeding grounds.

b. Black sea turtles migrate along the coast from breeding areas to feeding grounds between the northern and southern extremes of their distribution range.

c. Loggerheads leave foraging areas and travel on breeding migrations that range from a few to thousands of kilometers (1 kilometer = 0.62 miles).

d. Kemp's ridley turtles follow two major routes in the Gulf of Mexico: one northward to the Mississippi area, the other southward to the Campeche Bank, near the Yucatan Peninsula.

e. Populations of olive ridleys have been observed in large flotillas traveling between feeding and nesting grounds in the Eastern Pacific and Indian Oceans.

f. Hawksbill migration studies have been limited. Evidence suggests that some hawksbill populations show cyclic nesting migrations. Other researchers have documented nonmigratory and short-distance migratory populations.

g. Flatbacks move from their nesting grounds on the northern coast of Australia and islands to feeding grounds in shallow waters of northeastern Australia. Distance covered ranges from 215 to 1,300 km (134 - 807 miles).

h. Leatherbacks have the longest migration of all sea turtles. They have been found more than 4,831 km (3,000 miles) from their nesting beaches.

Migration habits differ among sea turtle species. Migrations may range from a few to thousands of kilometers.

2. The most common method used to track free-ranging sea turtles is flipper tagging. Although this method yields information on migration destinations, it does not reveal travel routes.

3. Recently radio, sonic, and satellite tracking have been successful in monitoring sea turtle movements. Hubbs-Sea World Research Institute has developed a radio transmitter harness for leatherback turtles.

4. Hubbs-Sea World Research Institute has developed a radio transmitter harness for leatherback turtles. Its design allows secure attachment of a transmitter without affecting turtle mobility. The harness was designed to release within several months.

(©2002 Busch Entertainment Corporation)

Edited by manu luq

Okay just looked at the cool coin and I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

1) Reindeer (or Caribou they go by either)

2)Purple Martin

3)Monarch Butterfly

4)Steelhead Trout

5)Gray Whale

6)Humpback Whale

7)Canadian Snow Geese

I love the Humpback, they are such majestic animals. They were the feature creature in Star Trek IV "The Voyage Home". I also witnessed their migration, one year, on a cruise along the Inside Channel. Such a treat!

Edited by Untied_ShoeLaces

1)Humback Whale

2) Green Sea Turtle

3) Coho Salmon

4) Canada Goose

5)Barren Ground Caribou (Grant's Caribou is a small portion of these)

6)Painted Lady Butterfly

7) Barn Swallow

B) I learned that a caribou isn't just a caribou! There are at least 5 types of caribou in North America. Of these, the Barren Ground Caribou is the one that is famous for its migration. They are also the most numerous caribou in Canada and the ones with the biggest antlers. Who says size doesn't matter?:rolleyes:

There are eight different populations of Barren Ground Caribou based on where they have their calves. During the winter the Bulls and cows stay in separate herds and the calves stay with their mums of course. In spring, the herds rejoin and migrate to the calving grounds. Cows separate from the herd to calve. In 2004, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) categorized the barren ground caribou as of "special concern."

map.jpgRange map from Canadian Geographic

pic_barren.jpg

Photo: istockphoto.com/Jaroslaw Schegietz

Edited by gardengorilla

OK here we go. On the coin we have.

1. Humpback Whale

2. Caribou

3. Monarch Butterfly

4. Canada Goose

5. Green Sea Turtle

6. Barn Swollow

7. Cohu Salmon (not sure of the exact species since its a siloet but i'll go with what everyone else thinks)

I was going to go with Rainbow Trout but found out that they are also referred to as Stealhead trout which has already been taken.

So my animal will be the American Bison or better know as the American Buffalo. They are a North American species of bison that once roamed the western plains of North American in great numbers. Their range once roughly comprised a triangle between the Great Bear Lake in Canada's far northwest, south to the Mexican states of Durango and Nuevo León, and east along the western boundary of the Appalachian Mountains. They where nearly driven to extinction in the 1800 due to over hunting. Then now are restricted to a few national parks and wild game preserves. So while they once migrated great distances there small numbers and the restrictions on habit they are forced to stay in prevents them from migrating as much as they once did. Most of there population is bread in captivity now for there meat as well as there hides. There are very few of what you could consider Wild herds left.

Bull_Bison_in_Mud_Volcano_Area-750px.JPG

Here is my day 2 try :) - with pictures that are LEGIT haha:

1)Gray Whale (Was going to guess Humpback, but the Gray is the longest migrating whale)

2)Green Sea Turtle (but the leatherback migrates the farthest)

3)Coho Salmon (Sockeye Travels the furthest)

4)Canadian (Honker - that's what we call them) Goose

5)Caribou/Reindeer (Caribou migrates the farthest of all deer/elk types)

6)Monarch Butterfly (though the Painted Lady also migrates, it is the Monarch that migrates farthest)

7)Arctic Tern (the farthest traveling vertabrate!)

Green Sea Turtle... Pictures are MINE (permission not given to others - as requested by the hubby - to use them, thanks) and we swam with it in Maui in 2008 for our 10 year anniversary. It was amazing!

turtleours2.jpg

turtleours.jpg

Sea turtle migrations are incredible - sometimes they travel thousands of miles to feed in cooler waters and warmer ground for nesting. A leatherback turtle was recorded in January 2008 to have travelled the longest known migration of a vertabrate - over 12,000 miles! (this record was beaten by the Arctic tern, who made a record 50,000-mile migration!) The turtle was tracked by satellite for 674 days from its nesting area in Jamursba-Medi beach in Papua, Indonesia to feeding grounds off Oregon.

As more and more sea turtles are tagged and tracked by satellite, we learn more about their migrations and how better to protect them.

HH

Here's my answer for A:

1. Green sea turtle

2. American moose

3. Arctic tern

4. Monarch butterfly

5. Humpback whale

6. Coho salmon

7. Canada goose

For B, I pick the ruby-throated hummingbird. Despite its tiny size, the ruby-throated hummingbird migrates more than 1800 miles from the eastern United states, to spend the winter in Mexico & Central America. Before migrating, the bird stores a layer of fat equal to half its body weight. The migration is timed with the flowering of their food plants, & in the southern U.S., the saying goes, “The hummingbirds return when the red buckeye blooms.” The following plants will attract hummingbirds to your garden: bee balm, bottlebrush, trumpet vine, honeysuckle, salvia, Confederate jasmine, & zinnia.

Well I just realized that I failed on my day 1 guess.

So for day 2 I will relist my 7 animals.

1. Monarch Butterfly

2. Green Sea Turtle

3. Coho Salmon

4. Canada Goose

5. Arctic Tern

6. Caribou

7. Humpback Whale

As for another animal that migrates, how about the Wildebeest

The Migration Cycle

JANUARY to MARCH

An estimated 400,000 wildebeest calves are born in Tanzania’s Serengeti during a six week period early each year - usually between late January and mid-March. This is when the wildebeest's perpetual journey begins - at the moment of birth. Its life is an endless pilgrimage, a constant search for food and water.

APRIL to MAY

The new-born calves don’t have much time to get ready for the big trip – by April/May Serengeti’s plains have dried up and the pastures have been exhausted. Vast herds gather for the pilgrimage north- and westwards, heading for the already tall grass of the ‘Western Corridor’, near the shores of Lake Victoria.

On the forefront of the migration movement are majestic herds of zebras. They prefer the long stems of the coarse grass, leaving behind the shorter growth for the Wildebeests.

JUNE to JULY

Having quickly finished the grazing in the Seronera area, the herds continue into the 'Western Corridor' - the area around the Grumeti River. Here they take a sharp turn northwards and head into the Lobo area in the northern Serengeti. This is the last place to see the migration in Tanzania, before the wildebeest cross the border northwards into Kenya.

By July the countless herds have amassed along the swollen rivers - the final barrier from the sweet grasses of the Masai Mara. Herds cross the Mara River and sometimes Sand River, which is a tributary of the Mara River along the boundary of Kenya and Tanzania. Usually around this time heavy rains on the Mau Escarpment (origin of the Mara River) fill the Mara River to the brim.

This is a good time to watch the crocodiles hiding in wait for the feast to come. After having found what seems to be a good crossing point, the wildebeest venture into the river. Sometimes, the chosen crossing place is shallow allowing the majority of animals to pass safely. In other areas the waters boil with drowning wildebeest and slashing crocodiles. This fight for life makes for a gruesomely impressive spectacle and creates unimaginable wildlife scenes one won’t forget in a lifetime.

AUGUST to OCTOBER

After having spent 3 to 4 month in the Masai Mara, the arrival of the short rains in October call the herds to move southward again, back to the Serengeti. Here, the rains already have treated the southern grasslands to lush, green carpets of rich grass. Once again, the herds are heading to the southern plains back to Tanzania, arriving at the Serengeti plains by December. Here, a new generation will be born to start the cycle of life all over again.

Please note: because the migration is a natural event entirely depending on the timely arrival of the rains movement of the animals can be earlier or later than described. However, we will try to give you up to date reports when planning your safari to make sure you will be able to witness this fantastic phenomenon.

Part A

1 Humpback Whale

2 Artic Tern

3 Monarch Butterfly

4 Green sea turtle

5 Caribou

6 Coho Salmon

7 Canada Geese

When I was little I loved the watch and catch monarch butterlies. they seemed to be everywhere. I didn't realize their migration patterns. Of course being a kid I didn't care either only cared if I could see and catch them! LOL When crake made the monarch butterfly coin I really realized the distance that these little butterflies travel!

Monarch butterflies are not able to survive the cold winters of most of the United States so they migrate south and west each autumn to escape the cold weather. The monarch migration usually starts in about October of each year, but can start earlier if the weather turns cold sooner than that.

The monarch butterflies will spend their winter hibernation in Mexico and some parts of Southern California where it is warm all year long. If the monarch lives in the Eastern states, usually east of the Rocky Mountains, it will migrate to Mexico and hibernate in oyamel fir trees. If the monarch butterfly lives west of the Rocky Mountains, then it will hibernate in and around Pacific Grove, California in eucalyptus trees. Monarch butterflies use the very same trees each and every year when they migrate, which seems odd because they aren’t the same butterflies that were there last year. These are the new fourth generation of monarch butterflies, so how do they know which trees are the right ones to hibernate in? Monarch butterflies are the only insect that migrates to a warmer climate that is 2,500 miles away each year. (Pretty impressive I'd say!)

The Monarch butterfly migrates for 2 reasons. They can not withstand freezing weather in the northern and central continental climates in the winter. Also, the larval food plants do not grow in their winter overwintering sites, so the spring generation must fly back north to places where the plants are plentiful.

82cadc52-3955-4286-ae3e-781a716b36e3.jpg

Picture taken from animals.nationalgeographic.com Photograph by Hope Ryden

Part A.

Canada Geese

Minke Whale

Arctic Tern

Coho Salmon

Monarch Butterfly

Green Sea Turtle

North American Caribou

Part B

The Plains Zebras

Often called the greatest (annual) migration on earth, up to 300,000 Plains Zebra join with 1.5M wildebeest in a East African migration.

They start on Tanzania's Serengeti Plains and travel north to Kenya's Masai Mara National Reserve in search of food and water. covering a distance of some 1800 miles each year.

Unlike many other grazing animals, plains zebras are able to digest low-nutrition grasses and survive on that diet, if the vegetation is available in sufficient quantities. That enables plains zebras to occupy a wider range of habitat than other species, and gives the zebras more potential routes when migrating.

During the migration the zebras run the gauntlet of many predators, including lions, hyenas and crocks.

My second intent:

A.-

1.Canada Goose

2.Arctic Tern

3.Coho Salmon

4.Moose (Alces Alces)

5.Green Sea Turtle

6.Monarch Butterfly

7.Gray Whale

B.-

As for migration theme, this time I've chosen this extract from an interesting article about:

Migration of the Gray Whale

Perhaps the most common cetacean (whale) seen in California is Eschrichtius robustus, usually called the California gray whale (or simply, the gray whale). The genus Eschrichtius is from the Danish whale biologist Eschricht. The species robustus refers to the gray whale's robust size.

This species is limited to the North Pacific and is unique in that almost the entire population follows a seasonal migration along the coastline of western North America. Most other whale species have separate populations in different oceans and/or hemispheres; each population has a separate migration with different months of the year and different routes. However, almost all of the gray whales spend the summer months (June, July, and August) in the Bering Sea area between Alaska and Russia. A few even venture north into the Arctic Ocean. In the fall the majority of the population migrates south, along the west coast of Canada and the United States, ending up in the quiet lagoons of Baja California during the winter months (January, February, and March). In the spring the population returns to the Bering Sea area. This 12,000 mile roundtrip may be the longest migration of any mammal on Earth. (Recently there are a few gray whales that have been found to miss the full migration.)

Marine Science

Copyright 2003 Genny Anderson

Attempt 3...

1)Gray Whale (Was going to guess Humpback, but the Gray is the longest migrating whale)

2)Green Sea Turtle (but the leatherback migrates the farthest)

3)Coho Salmon (Sockeye Travels the furthest)

4)Canadian (Honker - that's what we call them) Goose

5)Caribou/Reindeer (Caribou migrates the farthest of all deer/elk types)

6)Monarch Butterfly (though the Painted Lady also migrates, it is the Monarch that migrates farthest)

7)Arctic Tern (the farthest traveling vertabrate!)

and... Christmas Island Red Crabs...

This is really a strange migration.

"Christmas Island is a small Australian-owned territory located in the Indian Ocean, approximately 300 miles south of Jakarta, Indonesia. A small population of 1600 residents live on the area of 50 square miles, along with 150 million Red Crabs!

Every year one of the most spectacular migrations in nature occurs on Christmas Island, when over 150 million red crabs move from inland shelters to the shore for their annual breeding season. The main migration commences on the plateau and can last up to 18 days. Masses of crabs gather into broad columns as they move toward the coast, climbing down high inland cliff faces, and over or around all obstacles in their way, following routes used year after year for both downward and return migrations. Once at the coast males retreat to the lower terraces and dig burrows. The females then also move to the terraces and mating occurs. The females produce eggs within 3 days of mating and remain in the moist burrows on the terraces for 12-13 days while they develop. The eggs are held in a brood pouch between their extended abdomen and thorax. A single female can brood up to 100,000 eggs!After about a month in the ocean, and after growing through several larval stages, the surviving larvae have developed into prawn-like animals called megalopae. The megalopae gather in pools close to the shore for 1-2 days before changing into young crabs and leaving the water. Although only 5mm across, the baby crabs begin their march inland, taking about 9 days to reach the plateau. Here they seem to disappear and are rarely seen, living in rocky outcrops and under fallen tree branches and debris on the forest floor for the first three years of their life."

The pictures of this are amazing... you should google it! They close down roads and are on a MISSION!

1. Humpback Whale

2. Caribou

3. Monarch Butterfly

4. Canada Goose

5. Green Sea Turtle

6. Arctic Tern

7. Cohu Salmon

Anyone who watches Deadliest Catch will know about the Red King Crab. But do you know about the Golden King Crab?

Golden king crab tend to avoid open sand substrates and prefer steep-sided ocean bottoms. Juveniles are cryptic and rely on structure-forming sessile invertebrates growing on the sea floor, such as corals, sponges and sea-whips, to provide habitat.

Golden king crab are caught in the waters surrounding the Aleutian Islands. Significant populations occur in pockets off the Pribilof and Shumagin Islands, Shelikof Strait, Prince William Sound and at least as far south as lower Chatham Strait in Southeast Alaska, where an annual commercial fishery exists. It should be noted that they occur in deeper water than the red king crab, often in depths exceeding 300 fathoms (1,800 ft; 550 m). Throughout their Alaskan range, golden king crab are one of the most abundant species of crab.

goldenkingcrab_largemap.jpg

Pretty good range for an animal that crawls along the sea floor.

gkc_closeup_aolson_adfg.jpg

Images from Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Part A

1 Humpback Whale

2 Artic Tern

3 Monarch Butterfly

4 Green sea turtle

5 Woodland Caribou

6 Coho Salmon

7 Canada Geese

When I was little my mother enjoyed watching birds. She began to realize that a certain bird whould show up in our trees about the same time every year. They would be there a short period of time and then she souldn't see them again. She looked them up in her bird book and found out that they are Cedar Waxwings. She started recording each year when she first saw them and sure enough it was within a few days either way.

Waxwings breed across North America from the lower tier of Canadian provinces south to the northern gulf states. Their primary wintering site is in the southern U.S., but the species is nomadic and irruptive.

Consequently they can be found anyplace in the United States and sometimes as far south as Costa Rica during the winter. Typically waxwings gather for fall migration in August, and migration continues through October.

091c7037-4755-4b7f-83fd-0f92cba775b2.jpg

Cedar Waxwing

Photo Credit: Cornell Lab of Ornithology "Jupiter Saturn"

B)Since this animal has not been chose yet I would like to showcase ORCA's or Killer Whale!

b6cd3.jpg

The orca or killer whale is a toothed whale that is an efficient predator, even attacking huge young blue whales. Their only enemy is human beings. Orcas live in small, close-knit, life-long pods. The killer whale belongs to the family of dolphins and is the biggest dolphin. It is sometimes called the "wolf of the sea" because its behavior is similar to that of wolves.

Orcas are efficient hunters that eat a very diverse diet of fish , squid , sharks , marine mammals (including whales and seals), turtles, octopi, and birds (penguins and gulls). They have even been known to attack young blue whales and other large whales. They have 10-13 pairs of large, interlocking conical, enameled teeth distributed in BOTH the upper and lower jaws (for a total of 20 to 26 pairs, so the orca has from 40 to 52 teeth). The teeth curve inwards and backwards - this helps the orca catch its prey. Teeth average about 3 inches (7.6 cm) long and about 1 inch in diameter, but some are even longer. Members of a pod frequently cooperate in hunts. An average-sized orca will eat 551 pounds (250 kg) of food a day.

Orcas whales live in waters ranging from tropical to arctic, and both coastal and deep oceanic waters. They are found in all the world's oceans and most of the seas. Orcas sometimes enter estuaries, but don't go far from the sea.

Orcas don't make long, seasonal migrations. They may, however, cover an area of hundreds of miles (or kilometers) in order to find seasonal prey.

I have just take permission to use the photo and I a mso happy!!! :D

Let's see now....

Part A:

1) Monarch Butterfly

2) Coho Salmon

3) Hamback Whale (or gray whale... but I think hamback has larger fins like the ones showing in the whale figure on the coin)

4) Canada Geese

5) Chelonia Mysas.... also known as Green sea turtle

6) Arctic Tern

7) North american Caribou... (official name: ragifer tarandus) or reindeer I think...

Plan B:

even if Monarch butterfly was already posted, I will talk about an other butterfly...the Panaxia Quadripunctaria (Poda) also known as... butterfly of Rhodes! :)

Petaloudes3_2.jpg

Special thanks to the site Hotelsline.gr where I took permision to post the photo!

Panaxia Quadripunctaria (Roda) in the older times was called Callimorpha hera (Linnaeus) or Callimorpha quadripunctaria (Poda). in the last years some are calling it Euplagia quadripunctaria, but we do not know who actually named them like that!

These butterflies are very common in whole europe except the northern countries whose climate is cooler or frozen! :)

You can also see them in Western Asia, in africa and in the meditteranean countries!

they migrates in the summer season because their real living place is not good for them during summer! It doesn't have much water or shadows and it is too hot! so they migrate in other places forthe summer and then in the automn they are returning to their first area to make eggs etc!

Sometimes the migrate is big and sometimes it is not! it depends of the climate changes and if they will find a nice place to stay! they are coming here every year, in a small valley (not actually a valley but...) here in rhodes that took its name from them! we call it butterfly valley! IT is a nice shadow place with lots of trees, a stream (we call it pelekanos river..) and lots of humidity! that's a paradise for these butterflies and they are coming here every year! an other gathering are is in Paros but most of them are coming here! there are also smaller numbers in other places...

It is said that a german scientst, Peter Elgen caught about 100 of them, he marked them and let them free and they went back to Petaloudes valley!

Oh... they do not live in area higher than 1500 metres!

they wings when they are open are about 6cm!

these butterflies as you see in the photo have colour and when their wings are closed they have a camo colour... that makes it difficult to see them when they are on the trunk of the trees!! why I am mentioning the colour?? Because these are night butterflies!!! Most of night butterflies do not have colours!!!

they are flying during the night.... so you will not see them flying all together etc! In the day they are on the tree trunks and they are not moving at all! you may see a trunk full of them!!!!

this is dissapointing for the visitors of the valley who actually expect to see them flying etc!

butterflies are very sensitive! even the visitors who visits the valley is not good for them... and in older years when people didn't know... they used whistles to make the butterflies fly away and see them! That was extremely bad! butterflies were scared and they were dying or leaving the area for ever! Now they do not do that anymore and they have signs saying that this is not allowed! Unfortunatelly the change of the climate is not helping them a lot.. and the people who work there are trying to help them.... water levels are way down in the stream, trees are not like the old times and more sun is coming in... destroying the butterfly paradise!

hmm... I probably forgot to tell you... you can see them here in rhodes from June until the end of September when they are going back to their living areas...

when they not flying, they have their wings on the sides or back... like all night butterflies!

Both male and female have the same size and you can only recognize the males from their "hairy" belly edge they have! females do not have that!

When they get together... the male dies after it... and the female dies after she give birth of 150 -200 eggs!

Ok.... now a small joke question... in migrate animals... can we post about Party animals who are migrating from party to party or bar to bar (or club to club) and have fun, dances and lots of alcohol??? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

HHere we go for day three...

1 Humpback Whale

2 Artic Tern

3 Monarch Butterfly

4 Green sea turtle

5 Caribou

6 Coho Salmon

7 Canada Geese

My new migrating animal is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Distribution and Migration

Ruby-throats breed throughout eastern to midwestern North America, from southern Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. Most winter in Mexico, Central America, and on Caribbean islands, although a few remain in the Gulf states and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Most researchers accept a remarkable non-stop crossing of the Gulf, taking 18-20 hours. They arrive at the coast in late February or early March, and follow the development of spring flowers northward, reaching my home in St. Louis on April 20 +/- 2 days. Males migrate earlier than females, in both directions; some adult males start south as early as JUly. Our female breeding birds leave here (St. Louis) in September, with the young of the year following; the last juveniles depart abruptly at first frost (mid-October). By mid-November the fall migration is essentially completed throughout North America.

A fanciful and amusing myth has arisen regarding hummers hitching rides on other birds.

ed299012-4979-41be-a690-6f4969594901.jpg

photo by Unknown, from the free use archives

A: My turn to list the cast of characters illustrated on this beautiful geocoin:

1) Caribou (or Reindeer)

2) Artic Tern

3) Sockeye Salmon

4) Green Sea Turtle

5) Monarch Butterfly

6) HumpBack Whale

7) Canada Goose

for "B" I'd like to showcase the curious little critters..."Lemmings"3bb06.jpg

Lemmings are small rodents, usually found in or near the Arctic, in tundra biomes. They are subniveal animals, and together with voles and muskrats, they make up the subfamily Arvicolinae (also known as Microtinae), which forms part of the largest mammal radiation by far, the superfamily Muroidea, which also includes rats, mice, hamsters, and gerbils.

The behavior of lemmings is much the same as that of many other rodents which have periodic population booms and then disperse in all directions, seeking the food and shelter that their natural habitat cannot provide. The Norway lemming and Brown lemming are two of the few vertebrates who reproduce so quickly that their population fluctuations are chaotic, rather than following linear growth to a carrying capacity or regular oscillations. It is unknown why lemming populations fluctuate with such variance roughly every four years, before plummeting to near extinction

While for many years it was believed that the population of lemming predators changed with the population cycle, there is now some evidence to suggest that the predator's population may be more closely involved in changing the lemming population.

Lemmings became the subject of a popular misconception that they commit mass suicide when they migrate. Actually, it is not a mass suicide but the result of their migratory behavior. Driven by strong biological urges, some species of lemmings may migrate in large groups when population density becomes too great. Lemmings can swim and may choose to cross a body of water in search of a new habitat. In such cases, many may drown if the body of water is so wide as to stretch their physical capability to the limit. This fact combined with the unexplained fluctuations in the population of Norwegian lemmings gave rise to the misconception. Because of their association with this odd behavior, lemming suicide is a frequently used metaphor in reference to people who go along unquestioningly with popular opinion, with potentially dangerous or fatal consequences.

The reason for the cyclic change in population is still not completely understood. Anyway, the main cause for their mass migration is high density with decreasing/used up food supply. The cycle length lies between 3 and 5 years with an average of 3.8 years.

They change their location twice a year. In spring they start to migrate when the snow is melting. Autumn migration is driven by population density with high density leading to early movement. The Lemmings prefer nighttime for their migration.

In low density years the distance between their summer and winter biotopes lies within a magnitude of 10 - 100 m. They are staying in alpine regions then moving down in spring and up in autumn. In high density years their migration may take them to far away places and they use to move downwards in autumn too.

Their speed on land has been measured to be from about 3.6 km/h (autumn) to about 5 km/h (spring) moving 15 km per day. Water speed has been measured to be about 1 km/h crossing a 200 m wide lake.

Each lemming chooses its own direction and normally follows it alone and as close as possible. Groups of lemmings walk on the same path only when reaching hindrances. Their orientation seems to be mainly visual.

Thanks for the fun cointest, this one had us all guessing and trying to look things up! :)

A: Here is our best guess at the animals featured on the splendid coin:

2. Humpback Whale (after Mrs f spent lots of time perusing lovely marine mammal photos :) Mr F went straight for this choice)
  3. Caribou (took a while studying various types of antlers for this)
  4. Coho salmon (turning/ jumping)
  5. Canada Geese (flying in the classic V formation)
  6. Green sea Turtle (so beautiful)
  7. Arctic Terns (classic tail)
  8. Monarch Butterfly (what an amazing animal!)

Here is our entry for part B which is simply based on a photo Mrs F took this week while we were out caching.

B. Red Admiral Butterfly

16lmmj7.jpg

And a few facts about migration of these animals:

•  
  • These insects are widespread in Europe, North America, North Africa and Asia.
  • Red Admiral butterflies are generally migratory, the ones in the British Isles arriving each year from the Mediterranean regions of Europe, from Guatemala, and the Antilles in the western hemisphere.
  • It flies north each spring and lays its eggs when it arrives at its breeding grounds. The offspring remain at the breeding grounds through summer and into the cold winter.
  • In the winter it attempts to hibernate in tree hollows, rocky crevices, or among plant debris. Those which choose to remain in the British Isles over winter usually don't usually survive, except in the far south.
  • Unlike almost all other butterflies, the Red Admiral often flies at night (although they do usually prefer to fly during the day).

1. Monarch Butterfly

2. Arctic Tern

3. Humpback Whale

4. Caribou

5. Canada Geese

6. Coho Salmon

7. Green Sea Turtle

For those of you have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Coconuts migrate! :laughing:

But on a serious note,

The Great Gray Owl, or Lopland Owl (also goes by the names of Great Gray Ghost, Phantom of the north, Cinereous Owl, Spectral Owl, Spruce Owl, Bearded Owl and Sooty Owl)

These incredibly gorgeous creatures are an irruptive migrant, migrating southward only occasionally and in numbers that vary greatly. Irruptive migration is not seasonally or geographically predictable. Such migration may occur one year, but not again for many years. The distances and numbers of individuals involved area also less predictable than with complete or partial migrants. In some years, irruptions can be over long distances and involve many individuals, or they can be short and involve only a few.

• They fly close to the ground, usually less than 6 metres (20 feet) up, except when flying to a nest
  • When perched, they appear very bulky because of their dense, fluffy plumage, long wings extending past the body, a relatively long tail, and a large head. The size of the head, and the prominent facial disk make the yellow eyes appear small. A noticeable white "moustache" strip is under the facial disk, broken by a black "bow-tie". The feet are heavily feathered and remain hidden from view.
  • Great Gray Owls inhabit a range of forested habitats. In far north America, they frequent stunted coniferous forests along the edge of the Arctic treeline, through spruce and tamarack muskeg forests further south. In the Sierra Nevada Mountains they breed in mixed conifer and red fir forests.
  • During migration they may be found in estuaries, mountain meadows, and along farm fields

species-Strix-nebulosa-4.jpg

Information and photos gathered from: Wikipedia & Owl Pages

For those of you have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Coconuts migrate! :laughing:

AHHHH Ha Ha!!! That is great.

Actually some do!!!! No kiding!!! there is a special coconut in sheychelles called coco de mer! they can be huge and weight up to 250 kilos! these fell in the see but they do not ... "die"... they can travell for a long time in the sea without going down and then with the help of the waves... they can go to other islands and from them... a new coconut tree will be born!!! Isn't that migration??? ;)

1) Monarch Butterfly

2) Coho Salmon (local to me)

3) Grey Whale

4) Canada Goose

5) Green sea turtle

6) Arctic Tern

7) North american Caribou

Here are the 7 animals...

Now you guys just need to keep submitting this list A with something from B.

Part A.

Canada Geese

Grey Whale

Arctic Tern

Coho Salmon

Monarch Butterfly

Green Sea Turtle

North American Caribou

Part B

220px-South_Island_pied_oystercatcher.JPG

The South Island Pied Oystercatcher

Author Paul Davey

Permission is granted under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

We have a population of South Island pied oystercatchers that nest in the Ashburton River bed near town so they are a familiar sight around here. They breed in the inland areas of the South Island (New Zealand) and then after the breeding season they migrate to the estuaries and harbours of the North Island (again, that's New Zealand) :)

They're quite a noisy bird if you wander too close to the nesting areas - they start squawking and looking aggressive, but they fly off rather than attack.

South Island Pied Oystercatcher are endemic to New Zealand.

Can I ask something? Migrating... is only when an animal is going somewhere for a small time of period and then returns or it is also... when an animal is going in an other place... and stays for ever?

I mean.... when the Souez channel was opened, some animals etc from the red sea came in the meditarranean sea and stayed here! In the last years, that the sea temperature is getting higher and higher... new fishes came and now are in the aegean sea... 2 of them are not good and we are actually trying to find ways to stop the spread of them! We are trying to find who are their enemies to bring them here to stabilize things....

so... can the fish that came now.. called migrates??

Canada Geese

Humpback Whale

Barn Swallow

Atlantic Salmon

Monarch Butterfly

Green Sea Turtle

North American Moose

Part B:

Army Ants are migratory.... mostly because they destroy all food sources and thus have to move to find new ones. This is more of a nomadic lifestyle than a true seasonal migration or mecca. The army ant colony can eat up to 100,000 animals in one day (kinda scary) :blink:. Most ant colonies will move during the night and camp during the day. Instead of building permanent nests, the army ants will build a nest of themselves by clinching on to each other with their powerful mandibles. Inside, will house the queen ant and larvae. The migratory sessions are about 2 weeks long. The ants are completely dependent on pheromone signaling in order to follow each other. I must say that this is the most amazing migratory animal IMO because nothing is sacred to them. All other animal must move out of their way.

Army+Ant+Swarm.jpg

Pic from Eponymous blog.... (http://epon-ymous.blogspot.com/2010/08/army-ant.html)

Most of the information was from a wikipedia branch called wikibooks Animal Behavior... the rest from the discovery channel :D

Awesome cointest... thanks for the education!

edit to add

1) Monarch Butterfly

2) Coho Salmon (local to me)

3) Grey Whale

4) Canada Goose

5) Green sea turtle

6) Arctic Tern

7) North american Caribou

Edited by goosefraba1