Migrations Geocoin

avroair

I live in the Pacific Northwest which is famous for it's annual Salmon Runs. My city happens to have a Salmon Hatchery as well as a regional Festival called Salmon Days that runs the first week of October.

Thought it would be fun to design a migrations themed coin since travel bugs and geocoins migrate to their destinations through traveling from cache to cache.

The coin features a number of animals that migrate. Seven are featured on the coin, spreading the word of geocaching.

Trackable: YES

Unique Icon: YES

Size: 2"

Thickness: 3 mm

Versions: This will be the Geoswag club coin for September, there will also be an event version in different colors and well as a version for the geoswag website. Might also do a spring edition.

Here is a really bad sample photo since it's hard to see the turtles and other details under the enamel.

a6148d1d-8cf9-467d-9240-0552ff5d949b.jpg

So here's the bare metal mint submitted artwork:

f6f83c50-b1d9-46b1-b837-44ef03b43763.jpg

WOW WOW WOW - that is one beautiful geocoin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job Mark!!

Thank you. As I mentioned in my email my inspiration for the coin comes from the children's book: On the

Day you Were Born (Debra Fraiser), one of my favorites. I read it to my daughter all the time.

On one of the pages the news of a newborn's birth is passed from animal to animal (migration). I wanted to design a coin that celebrated the wonderful and mysterious idea of migration. With the animals migrating from North to South on the coin.

It will be the September geoswag club coin as well as a geoswag store version.

WOW WOW WOW - that is one beautiful geocoin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job Mark!!

Thank you. As I mentioned in my email my inspiration for the coin comes from the children's book: On the

Day you Were Born (Debra Fraiser), one of my favorites. I read it to my daughter all the time.

On one of the pages the news of a newborn's birth is passed from animal to animal (migration). I wanted to design a coin that celebrated the wonderful and mysterious idea of migration. With the animals migrating from North to South on the coin.

It will be the September geoswag club coin as well as a geoswag store version.

That is so cool! A great concept for the geocoin. And I really like the underlying compass! Almost a secret element as you don't notice it as am too busy looking at the animals.

So how are my answers in the cointest? (I'm impatient! :laughing:)

Edited by keewee

Sorry, I have been away from the forum for a while, and didn't notice that there was one cointest topic and one regular topic about this coin.

This coin looks truly amazing! Is there a chance that we'll have info about the different versions (colours) before the deadline for geoswag club registration for September (whenever that might be)?

That is a really great looking coin and I love the topic, so count on me to buy one.

Actually, I have a number of folders on my computer with coin ideas in various stages of completion and one of them is a migration coin, but it is quite a bit different than yours. Atavistic concepts like migration always move me at a deep level. There is something about instinct that strikes me as spiritual.

The colors and metals have been picked for the four versions available at this time:

Geoswag edition

Geoswag Coin and Pin club edition (September)

Event edition

Artist edition

There will probably be a version available for next Spring when all the animals are migrating back North (or South in the southern hemisphere).

The colors and metals have been picked for the four versions available at this time:

Geoswag edition

Geoswag Coin and Pin club edition (September)

Event edition

Artist edition

There will probably be a version available for next Spring when all the animals are migrating back North (or South in the southern hemisphere).

Mark,

That is a beautiful design and the color is stunning. Well Done!

~J

I just noticed something on the art that's missing, but is shown on the coin - Do you see it? That's not final art you're showing is it? <grinning>

I have spotted it. There is actually 5 or 6 of them that are missing. And if you look close you'll notice that the ones that ARE there are in a different order.

I just noticed something on the art that's missing, but is shown on the coin - Do you see it? That's not final art you're showing is it? <grinning>

I have spotted it. There is actually 5 or 6 of them that are missing. And if you look close you'll notice that the ones that ARE there are in a different order.

I see it too :) I love the 'whats the difference games'

I see it too :) I love the 'whats the difference games'

Yep. The artwork wasn't final, I added a couple of arctic terns and butterflies. :)

Edit to add, I also flipped the whale and redid it.

Edited by avroair

The coin club Sept coin version is shipping this week. I don't have any of these in hand right now. But my event and artist editions arrived today :wub: and I will try and take some good pictures tomorrow morning. They turned out great!

A couple of changes were made to the details. The turtles now have ridged plates on their backs rather than just flat metal and the geese on the back now have wing feathers rather than just blank metal. I thought these details would add a little to the coin. :)

Edited by avroair

Is that the geoswag version? If so I still hlike the event version the best and of course I can't go :(

The event version is antique silver. If I have any left over after the event email me. I will also be bringing what's leftover to Geocoinfest next weekend.

Can't go to Geocoinfest so I'll just have to catch you midweek and hope that you dont' sell out! :P